Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scholarship count is for 2020, not 2021. Seniors and a fair amount of RS Juniors will be gone by then and there will be the normal attrition elsewhere. Plenty of time for that class.
Agreed, which is the point. I was talking about the 2021 class, being possibly able to sign 25. This is the 2021 thread, after all.

OK, let's go class by class, using the 247 "Commits" pages and the roster on gophersports .com, to get an idea on who should be on scholarship for the 2020 season, and possibly identify some players who might be encouraged "to think about their future" to make more room in the 2021 class.

I'm only listing players that are still on the roster. I'm probably going to miss some, please help me correct any errors.

2016 (6)
Seth Green
Sam Schlueter
Phillip Howard
Conner Olson
Coney Durr
Ko Kieft

2017 (14)
Blaise Andries
Demetrius Douglas
Chris Autman-Bell
Jacob Paulson
John Michael Schmitz
Malcolm Robinson
Mohamed Ibrahim
Tanner Morgan
Justus Harris *** last year is 2020
Boye Mafe
Trenton Guthrie
Esezi Otomewo
Grant Ryerse
Noah Hickcox

2018 (16)
Curtis Dunlap
Daniel Faalele
Rashod Bateman
Jamaal Teague
Terell Smith
Brevyn Spann-Ford
Benjamin Sapp III
Austin Beier
Bryce Williams

Braelen Oliver
Thomas Rush
Mariano Sori-Marin
Josh Aune
Nathan Boe

Zack Annexstad
*** Maroon shirt
Jordan Howden *** wasn't listed on 247, but I assume was given a scholarship? Must've been able to count him in the 25 because VV transferred out so quickly?

2019 (24)
Tyler Nubin
Jacob Clark
Rashad Cheney
Keonte Schad *** JUCO, last year is 2020
JJ Guedet
Nnamdi Adim-Madumere
Jason Williamson
James Gordon IV
Donald Willis
D'Vion Harris
MJ Anderson
DeAngelo Carter
Logan Richter
Treyson Potts
Cole Kramer
Cameron Wiley
Mike Brown-Stephens
Solomon Brown
Michael Lantz
Brady Weeks
Benjamin St-Juste *** Xfer, last year is 2021
Micah Dew-Treadway *** Xfer, last year is 2020

Udoibok *** Maroon shirt
Cooper *** Maroon shirt

2020 (25) *** 247 shows 24, I think because that one guy is gray-shirting? So we could pick up one more this summer? *COUGH*JDS*COUGH*

For 2020: 6 + 14 + 16 + 24 + 25 = 85
For 2021: 85 - 6 - 3 (other last year in 2020) - 14 (bolded, see below) = 62 (23 can be signed)

Bolded are guys where I think this spring could've been really big for them to figure out if they have a future with the team. QB's, just not enough playing time to go round with Morgan the likely starter the next two years. K's, there is another guy coming in who might beat them both out (a walk-on, at that). Some of the other guys just haven't contributed and with more talent coming up behind them all the time, not sure if they will. Some contributed more in the past, but in 2019 fell off a bit. Others, are a stretch. But again, lots of talent behind them, maybe they get passed up?

Even with some of the above being stretches, I'm coming up 2 short of getting to 25 for 2021, even if they all left. But then again, sometimes guys leave unexpectedly. All it takes is one unexpected departure in 2019 and 2020 classes after this fall season.

One I missed is Bryce Witham, who is actually from the 2015 class, but will be a 6th year player.

So right there would say 86 for 2020, assuming I'm not missing some other walk-on that has been given a scholarship for 2020.

Listened to the podcast this week from Allen Trieu recruiting. They're real high on Perry, the safety from Chicago. Not all 3-stars are created equal. Sounds like he could move in to 4 star range as well.

True it would be nice to add a couple linemen. Cameron James, hopefully Alt, maybe one or two of those others. Looks like we have 3 linemen comin' in the 2020 class. Not in terrible shape there. Always nice to add higher rated guys no matter the position though. Regis and Pittman the DTs would be nice adds to the IDL. Looks like thats a spot we might be hurtin' at a little bit too.

This is a great 2021 class so far, but there should be some guys from this 2020 class that make some noise too.

^

Yep, Perry’s highlights are very impressive. I’ve seen it mentioned that he could grow into a LB. Screw that, I’d rather have a 6’3” 210 safety doing these things.

To the point of roster attrition, QB's are becoming more and more common to transfer for playing time. After signing the 2021 class, when Morgan/Annexstad are seniors, the QB's on the roster would be:

Tanner Morgan
Zach Annexstad
Jacob Clark
Cole Kramer
Athan Kaliakmanis
Sam Jackson*

Assuming Jackson gets a shot at QB. Even without him, that's 5 on the roster. With two seniors, it's possible all stick it out, but I would say unlikely.

^

Yep, Perry’s highlights are very impressive. I’ve seen it mentioned that he could grow into a LB. Screw that, I’d rather have a 6’3” 210 safety doing these things.

A tall AWJr! He will fit right in!

"Defense wins championships" (Bear Bryant).

To the point of roster attrition, QB's are becoming more and more common to transfer for playing time. After signing the 2021 class, when Morgan/Annexstad are seniors, the QB's on the roster would be:

Tanner Morgan
Zach Annexstad
Jacob Clark
Cole Kramer
Athan Kaliakmanis
Sam Jackson*

Assuming Jackson gets a shot at QB. Even without him, that's 5 on the roster. With two seniors, it's possible all stick it out, but I would say unlikely.

I am not so worried about QB transfers. It will work it self out. The most question to me is, what is Tanner Morgan's plan after this season? Second important question - what will the Offensive Line look like, and who will declare early?

One I missed is Bryce Witham, who is actually from the 2015 class, but will be a 6th year player.

So right there would say 86 for 2020, assuming I'm not missing some other walk-on that has been given a scholarship for 2020.
They are fine. Plenty of options to be able to bring in 25 in 2021.

Tanner Morgan
Zach Annexstad
Jacob Clark
Cole Kramer
Athan Kaliakmanis
Sam Jackson*

After Zach’s 2019 medical redshirt, isn’t he back to being one year behind Tanner?

I think two year separations between starters is good.

Tanner - 2020, 2021
Clark - 2022, 2023
Athan - 2024, 2025

And so on

Tanner - 2020, 2021
Clark - 2022, 2023
Athan - 2024, 2025

And so on
Tanner - 2020
Kramer - 2021
Jackson - 2022, 2023 (declares after heisman season)

Tanner - 2020
Kramer - 2021
Jackson - 2022, 2023 (declares after heisman season)
How good do you think those QBs will become practicing against these new secondary recruits? And how good will our receivers become? I'm liking the competitive climate that Fleck is creating. I think that draws in even better talent.

Kramer needs to come quite a ways to supplant Annexstad. Clark is ahead of him as well IMO.

Interesting take --- Kramer was ahead of Clark last year, insofar as he went in went Morgan went down at Iowa. From everything I've heard on this board (and saw at practices) Kramer was ahead of Clark. The main exception being that qb guru that came on the board who was gung-ho for Clark.

Tanner - 2020, 2021
Athan - 2022 - 2025 - the kid is legit

Back to recruiting......More OL, more OL, more OL. Gotta be the focus of this class right now.

We have to be able to play with the likes of Iowa and Wisco in the trenches to make the next step.

Tanner - 2020, 2021
Athan - 2022 - 2025 - the kid is legit

Back to recruiting......More OL, more OL, more OL. Gotta be the focus of this class right now.

We have to be able to play with the likes of Iowa and Wisco in the trenches to make the next step.
Clearly due for a commit on the OL. I'm sure Fleck is well aware of the need.

Interesting take --- Kramer was ahead of Clark last year, insofar as he went in went Morgan went down at Iowa. From everything I've heard on this board (and saw at practices) Kramer was ahead of Clark. The main exception being that qb guru that came on the board who was gung-ho for Clark.
Yeah but the same person (Kirk C) had Zach Annexstad ahead of Morgan.

Something tells me he maybe puts too much stock into practice reps?

After Zach’s 2019 medical redshirt, isn’t he back to being one year behind Tanner?
I stand corrected. Just looked it up, and he will be a sophomore next year, and Morgan will be a junior. I guess I didn’t think about it, but he didn’t redshirt before his freshman season, and he didn’t play last year.

Went to every open practice and a couple closed as well last year. Clark has better arm and had better drill performances compared to Kramer. Both need to get a lot better. If that's your take, you haven't heard much on this board about those two.

Tanner - 2020, 2021
Clark - 2022, 2023
Athan - 2024, 2025

And so on
Kramer will probably give Clark a run. Looks like this has been talked about above. Either way I'm not about to make an argument about that. I'm just fine with Clark rollin' in. Clark was actually a decent recruit I wouldn't be surprised to see him or Kramer come in and have solid success.

Last edited:

Went to every open practice and a couple closed as well last year. Clark has better arm and had better drill performances compared to Kramer. Both need to get a lot better. If that's your take, you haven't heard much on this board about those two.

The report from Fleck at the time IIRC, as he was asked either after the game or during practice the next week, was that the backup QB's were rotating and it just happened to be Kramer's turn.

This was after the Iowa game; I responded to the wrong message - oops, so I needed to edit and clarify.

It was a beautiful ball, but that doesn't take away from the point that when the game was on the line it was Kramer not Clark in the game.

Can those that want to debate the status of the 3rd and 4th string QBs on our roster please start a new thread about it as opposed to clogging up a thread that is supposed to be about the 2021 recruiting class?

It was a beautiful ball, but that doesn't take away from the point that when the game was on the line it was Kramer not Clark in the game.
As was pointed out, they were on a rotation and his number was up. He certainly didn't make the most of the opportunity...0/2 with an INT.

Last edited:

How good do you think those QBs will become practicing against these new secondary recruits? And how good will our receivers become? I'm liking the competitive climate that Fleck is creating. I think that draws in even better talent.
Huge. Even better is how you get better by going against someone better.

As was pointed out, they were on a rotation and his number was up. He certainly didn't make the most of the opportunity...0/2 with an INT.
You are going to hold it against him that we were backed up in the shadow of our endzone and we called two hail mary's.

Regardless, I ragret agruing about this in this thread --- back to 2021 recruiting.

Well, it does have to do with the fact that the 2020 Spring roster would have had four QB's vying for the starting role.

Though I think we would all fall over dead with shock if Morgan didn't win it.

That to me speaks to at least one QB, if not two, transferring out. That was all put on hold with cv19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom