Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

wasnt Mark Setterstrom the last Gopher OL drafted? if so, Brewster did not recruit nor ever coached a NFL drafted OL.

I can't speak for others, but I think part of the reason I think one of them will move to DE is that we have a ton of TE's right now. Assuming all three sign and no one transfers, we would have 8 TE's on scholarship. That's a lot even for this offense, isn't it?

Some people that have watched him believe that Elmore is a better defensive end. I think that is the position he was being recruited at by Oregon and a few others. I agree with GopherProf, I'll take a dominant DE and average TE over the reverse any day of the week. Tight ends are much easier to find.

As for tight end depth, everyone thinks we have way too many but we're right about where we should be. Next year we will have:

Sr - Goodger
Jr - Plsek
So - Williams, Anyanwu
RFr - Wozniak
Redshirts - 1 or 2 out of Elmore, Lingen, and Gipson

For the guys we are pegging as TEs in this class, any of the three could potentially play different positions. Lingen is probably the safest bet to stay at TE. As a team that uses TEs and H-backs as much as we do, I would say it is setting up pretty nice for the future. I never want a redshirt freshman or soph to have to play, they should only see the field if they are really good. That will be the sign that we are getting the sort of depth we need.

To answer an earlier question we are in a dead period until Jan 15 except for mid year transfers or early enrollees.

I believe Wednesday is the day for signing of JC/Transfers/Early enrollees.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Tim Brewster telling offensive line recruits that Minnesota hasn't had an OL drafted since before he was the head coach is pure gold.</p>— Fr'othyGopher (@FrothyGopher) <a href="https://twitter.com/FrothyGopher/statuses/412637374644903936">December 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can't he be happy that he set our program back to it's lowest level in history without bragging about it?

We have at least 6 players in front of Matilus on the depth chart at LB and probably more since he's now a year removed from even practicing at the position. At FB we graduate the starter and to my knowledge there is no depth chart at all. We have some TE's who play some H-Back, but no real FB behind Henry. I guess Gabe Mazenga did play there a bit when Henry was hurt? I think it's much more realistic that Matilus could beat out Gabe Mazenga than I do him leapfrogging all those younger, linebackers that are ahead of him.

His move to Offense had been mentioned and discussed a bit on GopherIllustrated for the previous week. I wasn't aware I was breaking the news.

I can think of Lynn and Wilson ahead of Matilus at MLB (if he moved back there). That's two players.
Mezzenga was ahead of Matilus at FB next season, Hartmann, Plsek and even Williams moved back there. Again, we are talking about Matilus moving to a position he hasn't played. He played RB for the Scout team. So yeah. . .

My primary rationale is that it's much easier to find a TE than it is to find a pass-rushing DE, especially if you're not one of the top 20 teams getting your pick of the litter. The coaches have said as much that they look for defensive lineman first and build out, as college d-lineman with the combination of size and technique are really hard to find.

I completely agree. A good DE is more valuable than a good TE. I was just wondering if there was some sort of rationale that was Elmore-specific about wanting him to move to DE. But yeah, I agree, if Elmore is a dominant DE that is more important than him being a dominant TE.

I can think of Lynn and Wilson ahead of Matilus at MLB (if he moved back there). That's two players.
Mezzenga was ahead of Matilus at FB next season, Hartmann, Plsek and even Williams moved back there. Again, we are talking about Matilus moving to a position he hasn't played. He played RB for the Scout team. So yeah. . .

Matilus running with the scout team offense doesn't indicate a position change. He could very easily practice with the LBs during breakdown and run scout team RB. There's no preparation needed to run a play shown to you on a card prior to running it. This is very similar to a DB or WR running scout team QB when the opponents QB is a threat to run the ball. Also, do the gophers run 1st team O v. scout D at the same time as scout team O vs. 1st team D? If not, its very possible he worked in on both scout teams. Heck, even if they do run at the same time its still possible for him to get work on both.

How many snaps has Matilus taken at LB in his career? Any? Less than 3? Less than 5? He's not in the mix and never will be. It's pretty obvious. If he was, the coaches wouldn't have moved him to offense.

Meanwhile there is an immediate opening at FB. The coaches say they love Matilus' physicality after trying him on Offense and the only player to beat is Mazzenga, a walk on. He may not win the FB job, but he will never win a LB job.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Look what came in the mail! &#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834; <a href="http://t.co/mDouTqTXQH">pic.twitter.com/mDouTqTXQH</a></p>— Steven Richardson (@mteam_srich) <a href="https://twitter.com/mteam_srich/statuses/412743879549394945">December 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

If we do end up inking Ragnow along with Craig James, Demetrius Hill, and Melvin Holland (who we are all favored to according to 247) Id say it looks like a pretty damn good crew we would be bringing in. I know predictions and stars mean very little but it would be looking rather promising.

How many snaps has Matilus taken at LB in his career? Any? Less than 3? Less than 5? He's not in the mix and never will be. It's pretty obvious. If he was, the coaches wouldn't have moved him to offense.

Meanwhile there is an immediate opening at FB. The coaches say they love Matilus' physicality after trying him on Offense and the only player to beat is Mazzenga, a walk on. He may not win the FB job, but he will never win a LB job.

He has taken as many if not more snaps at LB as he has at FB.

You might want to re-read what was said about him on offense. It was at RUNNING BACK not fullback. He was used on scout to simulate big, physical running backs (ala Williams) and not a fullback.

Matilus running with the scout team offense doesn't indicate a position change. He could very easily practice with the LBs during breakdown and run scout team RB. There's no preparation needed to run a play shown to you on a card prior to running it. This is very similar to a DB or WR running scout team QB when the opponents QB is a threat to run the ball. Also, do the gophers run 1st team O v. scout D at the same time as scout team O vs. 1st team D? If not, its very possible he worked in on both scout teams. Heck, even if they do run at the same time its still possible for him to get work on both.

Yep, you see it all the time. I don't know if it happened that way and I think it's completely possible that Matilus does move to FB, but I don't think it's an absolute certainty.

I remember Stoud use to play QB for the scout team to simulate athletic QBs.

I am guessing this much ink gets Matilus in the conversation for the Heisman next year.

Boston College offered Holland per rivals, it is a recent offer i am assuming since i didn't see that the last time i checked

do we seem to have a chance with DE Chris Slayton? we are apparently in his top 4 along with Illinois, Kansas and Syracuse and he has scheduled officials for those three schools but not us, he also has a lot of other BCS offers from Missouri, MSU, wisconsin, Nebraska, Ole Miss etc for a total of 13 BCS offers, i would think if we land Hill we would cool on him to go a long with Kafo, Stelter and either Gibson or Elmore, but i suppose since Hill is a juco guy and we might not land him and stelter will move DT and our TEs might not switch to DE we would be able to get him, he seems like a very highly coveted recruit that i would be very glad to land except for the fact that it is not a position of need

Yep, you see it all the time. I don't know if it happened that way and I think it's completely possible that Matilus does move to FB, but I don't think it's an absolute certainty.

I remember Stoud use to play QB for the scout team to simulate athletic QBs.

LOL - Thanks again Bob for your perspective. Like you, I am not certain whether he will be a LB or a FB. I have read a lot of opinions and theories here on this topic but haven't seen anything that is close to being conclusive. Yet some people are still convinced that they are right. It is called a "frozen" viewpoint. Maybe that is why the weather has been so cold lately.:rolleyes:

How about we drop the Matilus topic and talk about it in the spring, or just move it to a different thread. I highly doubt it matters in terms of recruiting. I am sure he is a great kid and works hard, but if I have to read one more opinion on if he is a FB or 3rd string LB I am going to puke.

honestly who really cares about Matilus and his position switch. is he relevant? he will likely not see the field for either position, only specials

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> previously offered, worth keeping an eye on => RT <a href="https://twitter.com/JoJo_McIntosh">@jojo_mcintosh</a>: This is real. I have officially de-committed from <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UCLA&src=hash">#UCLA</a>.</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/412803066464051200">December 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

How about we drop the Matilus topic and talk about it in the spring, or just move it to a different thread. I highly doubt it matters in terms of recruiting. I am sure he is a great kid and works hard, but if I have to read one more opinion on if he is a FB or 3rd string LB I am going to puke.

+1

FWIW, in an interview with Steven Richardson by GI Richardson said that Craig James was "talking about committing" during the visit this weekend. Hard to imagine him not becoming a Gopher.

amen

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> previously offered, worth keeping an eye on => RT <a href="https://twitter.com/JoJo_McIntosh">@jojo_mcintosh</a>: This is real. I have officially de-committed from <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UCLA&src=hash">#UCLA</a>.</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/412803066464051200">December 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

Apparently McIntosh is announcing where he's going today between Washington, Washington St., and Minnesota. All signs point to him picking Washington.

Apparently McIntosh is announcing where he's going today between Washington, Washington St., and Minnesota. All signs point to him picking Washington.

...that's only because of the obvious apple connection in his name...

If only his last name were Honeycrisp...

Top Bottom