Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Had a great home visit! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SkiUMah&src=hash">#SkiUMah</a> <a href="http://t.co/otf5M7riaX">pic.twitter.com/otf5M7riaX</a></p>— Connor Mayes (@PuppyloveMayes) <a href="https://twitter.com/PuppyloveMayes/statuses/410643218867302400">December 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Enrolling at the U in Jan:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Next stop Dinkytown!! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>!! RT <a href="https://twitter.com/D_Mckinzy1">@d_mckinzy1</a>: God did it! Im finally done with High school! <a href="http://t.co/VONo3PjBi7">pic.twitter.com/VONo3PjBi7</a></p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/410735965729464320">December 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

I'm excited to watch McKinzey. Looks like a very good athlete who fits this system very well.

Gophers offer Brookfield, WI OT Luke Rasmussen:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Luke-Rasmussen-134450

He has a lot of offers, but we are his first AQ offer. I'm trying to remain positive about Ragnow, but an offer to an OT this late in the process does not sit well with me in that regard.
Why the panic I suspect that this is a contingent offer and the coaches are putting plans B and C in place. I would be more worried if the coaches didn't have contingency plans.

Gophers offer Brookfield, WI OT Luke Rasmussen:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Luke-Rasmussen-134450

He has a lot of offers, but we are his first AQ offer. I'm trying to remain positive about Ragnow, but an offer to an OT this late in the process does not sit well with me in that regard.

He's also a long snapper which is an immediate need. Also, since he was offered before Frank's official visit and before the new offers to Rutherford et al I think they may be completely unrelated.

Ragnow is visiting Wisconsin on January 24th, which means he'll probably wait until signing day to make his announcement. I'm sure they'll hold a contingency spot for him no matter what, but they can't have back-to-back seasons with only one lineman commitment, so it makes sense to look to lock down that second spot now.

They still have 8-10 scholarships to play with, and while most of those are spoken for (3-4 DBs, 1-2 WRs, 1 RB, probably 1 JUCO LB), there's still a lot of flexibility there.

It would've been nice to get Russell, but I'm not as worried about LB as most. Wilson will still be here, Campbell will be an every-down player, and someone from the pool of Lynn/Rallis/Laster/Wipson/Matilus/Dixon/Schultz will step up and grab the other spot.

I still think the staff will bring in a ready-to-play Juco to fill Manuel's spot and move Campbell over to Hill's spot where he started last year before moving. Can Cody Poock be that guy? My gut says he could compete for and possibly win the spot, but I don't think he's a slam dunk like Wilson was or Russell would have been.

- I like Campbell but he was really, really bad against the run this year. I still don't see Campbell as an every down player next year, but he'll have to be I'm afraid?

Looking at the rest of your pool doesn't make me feel any better about the solution coming from our roster.

- Forget about Matilus, he's on offense now. Might be the starter at FB next year?

- I don't ever expect Schultz to play meaningful snaps on Defense.

- Dixon's still very light and at least another year away, imo.

- Lynn is a MLB and won't move out of that spot since he has to play next year in order to be ready to take the reigns in 2015.

Who does that leave us with?

- Laster. He's big and he's a stud but he's the kind of player you want to ease into the position and groom to take the job in another 1-2 years, not as a Freshman. He might be a good candidate to spell Campbell on obvious running downs?

- Rallis is highly overlooked imo. Most people write him off, but he has some experience and could be the dark horse to win the job if we can't get a Juco.

- Wipson is getting rave reviews from the staff and his knee is said to be healed, but again, a Freshman with no experience is not where we want to be.

It should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Rallis has to be the favorite if we don't get a JUCO.

I didn't know that about Matilus. When did that happen? I remember seeing him at LB beginning in the season.

Rallis has to be the favorite if we don't get a JUCO.

I didn't know that about Matilus. When did that happen? I remember seeing him at LB beginning in the season.

Matilus was named "Offensive Hard Worker POY" or something to that effect at the Football Awards Banquet last week. Since that time it's been mentioned that he practiced at FB this season and may be the guy next year.

Haha....I never disagreed that we need more than 1 OL commit. I disagree with the notion that we needed to average 4 OL a year.

they can't have back-to-back seasons with only one lineman commitment

Fahning was a very good walk-on (especially by Minnesota standards) and I presume they are treating him like a scholarship lineman for recruiting purposes under the assumption that he will earn one sooner rather than later. How many times have we convinced players to walk-on rather than take a full ride to a MAC school?

Fahning was a very good walk-on (especially by Minnesota standards) and I presume they are treating him like a scholarship lineman for recruiting purposes under the assumption that he will earn one sooner rather than later. How many times have we convinced players to walk-on rather than take a full ride to a MAC school?
Not many, and if Fahning takes that next step that'll be good for him, but I still don't think taking three offensive lineman this year is an issue, especially if one of them is waiting until the last minute to make his declaration. The alternative is that we offer nobody else, wait for Frank, and end up with no tackles in this class if he doesn't commit. I don't want to only hold one card in our hand.

I still think the staff will bring in a ready-to-play Juco to fill Manuel's spot and move Campbell over to Hill's spot where he started last year before moving. Can Cody Poock be that guy? My gut says he could compete for and possibly win the spot, but I don't think he's a slam dunk like Wilson was or Russell would have been.

- I like Campbell but he was really, really bad against the run this year. I still don't see Campbell as an every down player next year, but he'll have to be I'm afraid?

Looking at the rest of your pool doesn't make me feel any better about the solution coming from our roster.

- Forget about Matilus, he's on offense now. Might be the starter at FB next year?

- Lynn is a MLB and won't move out of that spot since he has to play next year in order to be ready to take the reigns in 2015.

- Laster. He's big and he's a stud but he's the kind of player you want to ease into the position and groom to take the job in another 1-2 years, not as a Freshman. He might be a good candidate to spell Campbell on obvious running downs?

- Rallis is highly overlooked imo. Most people write him off, but he has some experience and could be the dark horse to win the job if we can't get a Juco.

- Wipson is getting rave reviews from the staff and his knee is said to be healed, but again, a Freshman with no experience is not where we want to be.

According to Ryan Burns, Cody Poock cancelled his Ole Miss visit now that Russel committed and will decide between us and TCU this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Not many, and if Fahning takes that next step that'll be good for him, but I still don't think taking three offensive lineman this year is an issue, especially if one of them is waiting until the last minute to make his declaration. The alternative is that we offer nobody else, wait for Frank, and end up with no tackles in this class if he doesn't commit. I don't want to only hold one card in our hand.

I agree. I would have no problem with them taking three. I just think it points to something if multiple OL (counting Rutherford as well) are being offered this late in the process. Maybe they changed their minds and decided they want 3 this year, but I'm afraid (hope I'm wrong)that they see Ragnow slipping away.

They haven't offered Rutherford. At least not yet.

So really we're just talking about one guy, right?

To quote myself, I said 3-4 lineman per year.
Yes....and when I said keeping that many offensive lineman on scholarship was too much you counted the number of lineman on other teams' rosters without taking into account the fact that some of them are walk-ons.

Is this really a discussion you want to bring up again?

The Gophers have always wanted 3 O-lineman in this class, but they aren't going to offer someone who they don't think is worthy. They had numerous other players they were high on in the spring (JC, Giancakos, Applefield) and would definitely have taken any of those guys along with Mayes and Ragnow. Lauer received a January offer and right now he is outplaying his highly recruited counterpart. The Rasmussen offer makes sense, as Wisconsin has also been close to offering him. Wisky already has 5 O-line commits, so they aren't taking both Rasmussen and Ragnow. If Wisky feels that they have little chance of landing Frank, they possibly offer Rasmussen instead, which eliminates one possible suitor for him.

Interesting conclusions but I am not sure how you can be so certain that Matilus will be on the offense in 2014. Yes, I know he was awarded the offensive work team player of the year but he also made 8 tackles this past season and is listed as a LB. My question to you therefore is your statement about Matilus a fact or an opinion? If it is an opinion I wouldn't state it as a certainty. If it is certainty I would like to know how you know that. I am just curious.

I agree. I would have no problem with them taking three. I just think it points to something if multiple OL (counting Rutherford as well) are being offered this late in the process. Maybe they changed their minds and decided they want 3 this year, but I'm afraid (hope I'm wrong)that they see Ragnow slipping away.

dpodoll, with all the "discussions" you get into in various threads, trust me, my friend, from what I read from you, you never hope you're wrong!!! :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Had a great home visit! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SkiUMah&src=hash">#SkiUMah</a> <a href="http://t.co/otf5M7riaX">pic.twitter.com/otf5M7riaX</a></p>— Connor Mayes (@PuppyloveMayes) <a href="https://twitter.com/PuppyloveMayes/statuses/410643218867302400">December 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

That is one honker of a ring JK is wearing...

Interesting conclusions but I am not sure how you can be so certain that Matilus will be on the offense in 2014. Yes, I know he was awarded the offensive work team player of the year but he also made 8 tackles this past season and is listed as a LB. My question to you therefore is your statement about Matilus a fact or an opinion? If it is an opinion I wouldn't state it as a certainty. If it is certainty I would like to know how you know that. I am just curious.

Yes, it's fact a that he played FB this year in practice and won the "Offensive Work Team" POY award. It's also a fact that we have to replace Mike Henry at FB and have no obvious replacement. Also fact that last Fall's roster hasn't been updated. Not a fact (just my recollection), but I'm pretty sure his 8 tackles were on Special Teams. Yes, it's conceivable he could go back to LB next year as a depth guy behind, Campbell, Rallis, Laster & apparently Wipson (all players younger and/or less experienced who've leapfrogged him), but I'd be shocked if that happened.

#1: Poock is the same class as Wipson, Laster and Dixon. His tape looks impressive, but he is as inexperienced as those guys.

#2: What brings you to that conclusion on Schultz? He has looked decent in the spring games/practices and he has some experience. He played special teams and is the adequate size. Is there a reason for your conclusion?

#3: Matilus. . .hard to tell if he is really on offense. As some people who went to the banquet pointed out, the scout team offense also included special teams. Additionally, it's ignoring the very nature of the scout team (to give us a better look at opponents). While Henry is listed as a FB, he isn't very traditional, he plays more like a TE. He rarely is a lead blocker type and never catches the ball. It's definitely quite possible that Matilus gave a look as a more traditional FB. He also was never mentioned when Henry was hurt this season. Mezzenga filled in for Henry (as did Maxx). I'd imagine that our starting fullback next season would be Mezzenga or Hartmann (possibly a TE like PLsek orDuke move to H-Back as well). It could be Matilus, but I wouldn't completely write him off as a LBer until he is officially moved.

#4: Agreed on Rallis.

#5: Lynn. . .I disagree. This staff talked about their being little difference between the outside and the inside in our system when Rallis made the move. If Lynn is our 3rd best Lber, he starts on the outside.

#1: Poock is the same class as Wipson, Laster and Dixon. His tape looks impressive, but he is as inexperienced as those guys.

#2: What brings you to that conclusion on Schultz? He has looked decent in the spring games/practices and he has some experience. He played special teams and is the adequate size. Is there a reason for your conclusion?

#3: Matilus. . .hard to tell if he is really on offense. As some people who went to the banquet pointed out, the scout team offense also included special teams. Additionally, it's ignoring the very nature of the scout team (to give us a better look at opponents). While Henry is listed as a FB, he isn't very traditional, he plays more like a TE. He rarely is a lead blocker type and never catches the ball. It's definitely quite possible that Matilus gave a look as a more traditional FB. He also was never mentioned when Henry was hurt this season. Mezzenga filled in for Henry (as did Maxx). I'd imagine that our starting fullback next season would be Mezzenga or Hartmann (possibly a TE like PLsek orDuke move to H-Back as well). It could be Matilus, but I wouldn't completely write him off as a LBer until he is officially moved.

#4: Agreed on Rallis.

#5: Lynn. . .I disagree. This staff talked about their being little difference between the outside and the inside in our system when Rallis made the move. If Lynn is our 3rd best Lber, he starts on the outside.

Actually, Henry had several big catches over the course of the season (probably only six or seven catches, but I think every one of them was clutch - and he did have one key drop as well).

Costa Rican's note about Matilus being moved to fullback was the first I've heard of this, but it actually makes a lot of sense to me. He's uber-physical, but he's too slow to play outside (and maybe inside) and not an ideal size to play in the middle. As a lead-blocking fulback, as physical as he is, that could be an ideal spot for him.

Top Bottom