Next Gopher Head Coach

So no head coaching experience....especially in college. how did they know he was going to translate to being successful as a head coach if he had never done it before. How did they know he would be able to adjust to the college game? I'm just pointing out that not everyone goes through the same path to become head coaches at universities like North Carolina and Michigan...
I'm not arguing that either way. It was asked, I answered. I think in his case, it's closer to the Lindsay Whalen hiring than anything else. Beloved at his almamater and hired on.

Interesting Justin Gaard was the one making the coaching predictions for Smith to Utah, and then saying he expects the hire early this week. I really have no idea if Gaard is very well tapped in but this would lead me to think Gates would be the frontrunner. I'm just trying to piece things together here. Only basing this on the fact that Gates and Smith have been the most popular names with the most momentum surrounding them, interviews set up, etc. Niko has always seemed third wheel behind them but that may not be true.

Interesting Justin Gaard was the one making the coaching predictions for Smith to Utah, and then saying he expects the hire early this week. I really have no idea if Gaard is very well tapped in but this would lead me to think Gates would be the frontrunner. I'm just trying to piece things together here. Only basing this on the fact that Gates and Smith have been the most popular names with the most momentum surrounding them, interviews set up, etc. Niko has always seemed third wheel behind them but that may not be true.
If you’re trying to piece things together based off Gaard’s tweet which has Gates to DePaul it would leave the frontrunner for the Gopher job based on popular names as Medved.

My opinion: we need to pony up, match Utah, and hire Smith. There's a reason they'd offer so much: he's worth it. If they didn't, someone else will. This is the big time.
If you add what New Mexico saved us on Pitino's buyout to his salary, getting outbid shouldn't be an issue.

They were a top 10 to 15 team all year...Will be shocked if he's fired
Even if he's not, his seat is now red hot. Tubby wasn't going to be fired in 2007 either. But he probably had to make the Final Four in 2008 to save his job. Shaka is in a similar spot now. He might be very open to a soft landing.

If you add what New Mexico saved us on Pitino's buyout to his salary, getting outbid shouldn't be an issue.
Did you miss the post where Utah is paying its current coach $4M and we were paying Pitino was $2.4M ?

Vehemently disagree. Honor code. They don't allow gays. Don't allow academic freedom.

Same thing as BYU.
The day is coming when anybody who actually believes what the Bible says will be called hyper-religious or a religious nut, or some variation on that theme. It should be no shock that a Baptist school adheres to the teachings of its scripture.

Back on topic, somebody tell me about Pat Kelsey. I've never heard of the guy until a few minutes ago.

But what does his family want? And/or, what does he want for his family? Said in USU videos that they love it out West.

Could play a factor. Or maybe he was just saying that to say the right thing in the interview.
He and his wife love it there!

Did you miss the post where Utah is paying its current coach $4M and we were paying Pitino was $2.4M ?
No. But someone suggested they would offer Smith $3 million. I doubt that. But we could match that if necessary.

The day is coming when anybody who actually believes what the Bible says will be called hyper-religious or a religious nut, or some variation on that theme.
Uh, no. For example: Notre Dame <<<<<<<< {BYU, Baylor, Grand Canyon, Liberty} , when it comes to religion impinging on student life.

You simply don't go to that latter set if you want to have a good time. You go there if you took Sunday school way too seriously.

But if goes to a low major like St Thomas and has one good year then it would be an excellent hire?
Ridiculous. You can use that logic to rationalize nearly any unqualified candidate. It is common to actually expect to see evidence of qualification for big time jobs. If you are a small school, sure you can hire people who have no track record. Pitino is what you get when you hire with little to no track record. Pitino had all the potential, associated to all the big coaching names, he had people saying he was a rising star. Kentucky fans were saying he would eventually take over. You know what Pitino didn’t have? An actual track record as a HC. Gates is literally the same story, just with fewer big name coaches backing him.

Even if he's not, his seat is now red hot. Tubby wasn't going to be fired in 2007 either. But he probably had to make the Final Four in 2008 to save his job. Shaka is in a similar spot now. He might be very open to a soft landing.
I'd hope he's more confident in himself than that...leaving Texas to one of the worst power teams because he's scared of being fired

No. But someone suggested they would offer Smith $3 million. I doubt that. But we could match that if necessary.
$4M to former coach of Montana and Milwaukee Bucks for two years each.

I'd hope he's more confident in himself than that...leaving Texas to one of the worst power teams because he's scared of being fired
It happens often. Did Tubby lack self confidence? And MN is far from the worst Power 6 job.

It happens often. Did Tubby lack self confidence? And MN is far from the worst Power 6 job.
Meh bottom 25%...bet he could line up something better if he felt he needed out

But if goes to a low major like St Thomas and has one good year then it would be an excellent hire?
No. It would still be a reach. But at least he would have experience as a head coach.

But what does his family want? And/or, what does he want for his family? Said in USU videos that they love it out West.

Could play a factor. Or maybe he was just saying that to say the right thing in the interview.
Who wouldn't ? He's comparing it to Vermillion,SD for God's sake !

Regarding Queta and Smith. Queta has been fantastic at Utah State and there are some fair questions about what happens without him next year after he declares for the draft. That said, USU beat LSU and Florida last year without him . Granted we had Sam Merrill who plays for the Bucks now. Smith has definitely missed on some recruits, while hitting on a few others. Utah State fans have probably been most critical of his recruiting, while acknowledging he is a fantastic coach.

Meh bottom 25%...bet he could line up something better if he felt he needed out
Where? Name it. The only better job open is Indiana, which doesn't want him, and has the exact same delusional fans and donors as the place he's trying to escape.

If you’re trying to piece things together based off Gaard’s tweet which has Gates to DePaul it would leave the frontrunner for the Gopher job based on popular names as Medved.
Forgot about that. I feel like I should be more concerned with Medved having no NCAA appearances but I do think there's some validity to him not staying long enough to get there in the past. I don't think that would be a concern here. Dream Job.

Last edited:

Top Bottom