Next Gopher Head Coach

I’m probably alone on here but I’m not excited about hiring any of the names that have been thrown out in this thread. We need a newsworthy hire with headlines that catch the attention of recruits. I’m prepared for major disappointment and another 3-4 years of excuses for poor play while the new coach is establishing their “system”. Barring something hugely unexpected, this is most likely our reality.
I'm in the same boat. Moser, Scott Drew, otherwise I'm not that excited. Musselman was out coached at Nevada at times by Dutcher and Smith..

Where? Name it. The only better job open is Indiana, which doesn't want him, and has the exact same delusional fans and donors as the place he's trying to escape.
I mean at the end of the day it doesn't matter... if he's truly thinking of leaving Texas on his own accord to come here i don't want him because he belongs in a psych ward. Please don't really say you're holding out any hope he does this and were only trying to voice opposing points to comments.

Regarding Queta and Smith. Queta has been fantastic at Utah State and there are some fair questions about what happens without him next year after he declares for the draft. That said, USU beat LSU and Florida last year without him . Granted we had Sam Merrill who plays for the Bucks now. Smith has definitely missed on some recruits, while hitting on a few others. Utah State fans have probably been most critical of his recruiting, while acknowledging he is a fantastic coach.

Yeah, that is my take as well from reading utah state fans' posts. Smith brings great culture, energy, and ingame coaching. Not as sold on his recruiting.

At this point I just want a defense first guy. You watch all these upsets and about 90% are Loyola who's a top 5 defense, Abil Christian is the leader in turnovers forced, etc. When you don't get 4-5* guys, defense first gives you more consistency. Look at Iowa vs Wisconsin. Bad Iowa years they are 9th-11th in conference, bad Wisc years they are 7th. Sure that def first/slower pace means less possessions and things like Uva vs Ohio happen, but you also don't have a 5-6 game stretch where you lose every game by 30. So that leaves me with Moser/Dutcher/Smith group at the top of my list.

At this point I just want a defense first guy. You watch all these upsets and about 90% are Loyola who's a top 5 defense, Abil Christian is the leader in turnovers forced, etc. When you don't get 4-5* guys, defense first gives you more consistency. Look at Iowa vs Wisconsin. Bad Iowa years they are 9th-11th in conference, bad Wisc years they are 7th. Sure that def first/slower pace means less possessions and things like Uva vs Ohio happen, but you also don't have a 5-6 game stretch where you lose every game by 30. So that leaves me with Moser/Dutcher/Smith group at the top of my list.
I like the take

We had an idea that Whalen would bring fans to a sport that doesn’t bring in a ton of revenue.
And that her name would be huge in recruiting. There was always a question of whether she could coach. Ben Johnson is Lindsey without the name recognition.

Go Gophers!!
I strongly believe that Doogie has zero inside information on this. He does not say anything of substance. “A lot of support” means absolutely nothing and he says that he is referencing a Reusse tweet... he is literally admitting that it is based on nothing but the tweet of another uninformed media member.

I would not lose any sleep over Ben Johnson getting the job.

Edit post hiring: full credit to Doogie, he was either really lucky or onto something. I still don’t believe he had any inside info, but he was right about Coyle liking Ben.

Last edited:

Forgot about that. I feel like I should be more concerned with Medved having no NCAA appearances but I do think there's some validity to him not staying long enough to get there in the past. I don't think that would be a concern here. Dream Job.
NCAA appearance against no competition in a low major from winning the conf tourny, counts though?

Uh, no. For example: Notre Dame <<<<<<<< {BYU, Baylor, Grand Canyon, Liberty} , when it comes to religion impinging on student life.

You simply don't go to that latter set if you want to have a good time. You go there if you took Sunday school way too seriously.
Baylor will turn a blind eye if you're an athlete. Look at all the stuff that went on in football and men's basketball. That code is for the regular students.

I mean at the end of the day it doesn't matter... if he's truly thinking of leaving Texas on his own accord to come here i don't want him because he belongs in a psych ward. Please don't really say you're holding out any hope he does this and were only trying to voice opposing points to comments.
You're being ridiculous. Coaches leave jobs where they're on the hot seat all the time. I guess you think they're all cowards who belong in a psyche ward.

Do I think Shaka's coming here? Probably not. Do I think there's no chance it could happen? No.

Uh, no. For example: Notre Dame <<<<<<<< {BYU, Baylor, Grand Canyon, Liberty} , when it comes to religion impinging on student life.

You simply don't go to that latter set if you want to have a good time. You go there if you took Sunday school way too seriously.

Your forget Bethel!!

Moser put the Marcus Carr treatment on Dosymu ...Illinois didn't react well. Impressive by Loyola and the big Krutwig kid who reminds me of Jeff Hagen...

You're being ridiculous. Coaches leave jobs where they're on the hot seat all the time. I guess you think they're all cowards who belong in a psyche ward.

Do I think Shaka's coming here? Probably not. Do I think there's no chance it could happen? No.
Haha yeah i guess I'm ridiculous then...a guy leaving a top 15 team to go to any dumpster fire team like those available is just an insane thought. Like i said before there are probably better options but none open yet as before last night his seat was not that hot.

Could his agent be on the phone with schools who don't have an opening planning for this time next year in case things go poorly? Sure, probably not stupid...but to say he'll leave texas days after a bad loss to go to one of the current openings is absurd...sorry if that's a ridiculous take.

Moser put the Marcus Carr treatment on Dosymu ...Illinois didn't react well. Impressive by Loyola and the big Krutwig kid who reminds me of Jeff Hagen...
Moser's continued success makes me think the Pope might sell a couple of relics and send the proceeds to Loyola-Chicago so they can keep him there. What a story.

Haha yeah i guess I'm ridiculous then...a guy leaving a top 15 team to go to any dumpster fire team like those available is just an insane thought. Like i said before there are probably better options but none open yet as before last night his seat was not that hot.

Could his agent be on the phone with schools who don't have an opening planning for this time next year in case things go poorly? Sure, probably not stupid...but to say he'll leave texas days after a bad loss to go to one of the current openings is absurd...sorry if that's a ridiculous take.
Looking around now is crazy but his agent calling around to schools that "might have an opening a year from now" is logical? OK then.

His seat was hot coming into this season. They had a good year, but last night undid most of that with the fans and I'd imagine the donors. If he doesn't get fired now, he probably needs an Elite 8 type run next year.

It's very similar to Tubby's situation. It wouldn't be that shocking if he looked around. Even though you apparently think MN is a terrible job, it's the best non-Indiana job open at the moment, which wasn't true in 2007.

Moser's continued success makes me think the Pope might sell a couple of relics and send the proceeds to Loyola-Chicago so they can keep him there. What a story.
Can we hire Sister Jean instead?

Is there a nice Catholic parish around Dinytown that might lure him here?

DePaul is also Catholic. And I think bigger with more money. So I think the Pope would approve.

Top Bottom