If it is Fleck...

Even with a comeback win today I would rate what our coaching team did at Northern Illinois as highly as anything WMU has achieved this season.

Yea I can see how a coaching staff that never won a MAC championship, never had an undefeated season and never had Northern Illinois in a New Year's Day bowl would rate as highly as a coaching staff at WMU that actually did all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure hope not. TC is a football genius and has the makings to be a great coach. Let him go, and we are back to futility, only longer and more extreme. I just wish that Coyle's salary was correlated w/ the football team's record. Kaler can aford to have him serve as his puppet with the Big Ten TV money and bowl share rolling in to support the Athletic Dept. Mark my words, Tracy Clays is our best bet.

I agree with this. I was half sarcastically responding to the OP'S original question. IMO, the best way for us to climb the B1G West ladder is incremental improvements made by a staff that is secure, has a plan, and is settled. I've said this before, but that's how our competition has done it as well. Iowa, Wisconsin, NW, have had coaches that have had a chance to really hone their skills and find the perfect recipe for success at their school. That's what we need, and I think Tracy can do that. He's already done it on D. I have faith he can get it done on O.

I realize that. That is why I've said that if we move on from Claeys, I think Fleck makes sense.

My post was a response to someone essentially saying we need someone with high energy, etc. If Fleck is successful here, it won't be because of his "energy" (it won't be in spite of it either). IT's all about the ability to coach.

That's not what I said though. I agree it is about his ability to coach. You asked if he would be able to recruit enough talent to the B1G, and I said that's the least of my concerns with Fleck. His youth, charisma, and energy relates well to college kids and he would be able to recruit talented players to MN.

It reminds me of Pitino on the basketball side. Pitino has shown the ability to recruit as the young talent on the basketball team is as good as it has been in a long time. He still has to prove he can get that talent to the NCAA tournament.

That's not what I said though. I agree it is about his ability to coach. You asked if he would be able to recruit enough talent to the B1G, and I said that's the least of my concerns with Fleck. His youth, charisma, and energy relates well to college kids and he would be able to recruit talented players to MN.

It reminds me of Pitino on the basketball side. Pitino has shown the ability to recruit as the young talent on the basketball team is as good as it has been in a long time. He still has to prove he can get that talent to the NCAA tournament.

Thats what i think Fleck can do as well. Being a former college athlete and 22 years old, Fleck is much more appealing to me. Its always interesting seeing what different age groups think of someone. Talented kids are going to want to play for someone like this if you want to believe it or not.

I'm fully on board with Pelini if it means Faux Pelini tweets about us and is an advocate for bringing back the chair.

I just said we don't know if he can recruit at the Big 10 level. He seems like the kind of guy that can. However, my post about Brewster was essentially in response to the bolded sentence above.

Brewster had all of that stuff. Our team was not talented when he left.

(I get that Brew failed in other areas where Fleck has shown at least some acumen).

I am not arguing against Fleck. I think he makes the most sense if we get rid of Claeys. I am just saying that those things didn't translate to talented football players with Brew.

Fleck looks like a dbag insane clown posse fan and his wife appears to be white trash who's been on all fours with an ashtray on her bum. We don't need this. And if I'm wrong, he will bail quickly, so I'll be right regardless.

Serious question, if Fleck is such a hot pickup why is he still available? Wouldn't one of the other teams already have gotten him?

There does appear to be some baggage with Fleck that only insiders know about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serious question, if Fleck is such a hot pickup why is he still available? Wouldn't one of the other teams already have gotten him?

It's hard to say.

I think Brohm was probably the safer pick and I can't think of another opening that really made sense.

There are some concerns that his "schtick" wouldn't play at larger schools. There are some rumors about him being difficult to work with (I have no idea if they are true) and allegedly has had some personal transgressions. I don't know if any of it is true or if any of it is a reason why teams are leery.

I am really not trying to bash Fleck. If we move on from Claeys, he makes sense to me. I am just trying to answer the question.

My take - Fleck is the "backup QB" of coaching candidates. On virtually any FB team, the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team among the fans, because everyone is convinced that the backup QB would be better than the starter, if he was only given a chance.

That is Fleck IMHO. Anyone who does not like the current coach is convinced that Fleck would do a better job. And who knows - maybe he would. Or maybe he wouldn't. For every coach who has moved up from a mid-major to a major D1 school and succeeded, I could name a coach who tried to move up and didn't succeed.

There is no way to know for sure until you try.

So, here is the choice - stick with the known commodity in Claeys - or go with the unknown commodity in Fleck. With Claeys, you have a coach who has shown that he and his staff can produce a winning team, and IMHO they have shown a valuable commodity in D1 sports - the ability to respond to off-field issues, keep the team focused, and produce results.

With Fleck, who knows? He has shown success at a lower level, but that is no guarantee that he would succeed at this level. Faith may move mountains, but can it win football games? I guess I would rather stay with the proven commodity as opposed to gambling on the unknown commodity. But it's not my choice - it's Coyle and Kaler making the choice - which scares the bleep out of me.

Whoever it is, I hope they bring Limey back as offensive line coach. See what he can do with linemen who are bigger, stronger, faster. Or perhaps PennState can keep him, just send us their S and C coach.

Whoever it is, I hope they bring Limey back as offensive line coach. See what he can do with linemen who are bigger, stronger, faster. Or perhaps PennState can keep him, just send us their S and C coach.

I am beginning to think you don't like our S and C coach.

Not saying he is the guy, but Oregon didn't exactly make a great hire last time..what makes you think they did this time?

I'm not saying they made the right hire, but he wasn't even in the conversation and they are a school that unlike us, can dictate the conversation.

I'm not saying they made the right hire, but he wasn't even in the conversation and they are a school that unlike us, can dictate the conversation.

Are you saying they couldn't get him?
Or are you saying they didn't want him?

It still is a lot bigger knock than 4-8 Oregon hiring someone else

Mark me down as someone that wants nothing to do with PJ Fleck. I really can't understand the obsession. He would get old in a hurry when the losses started piling up.

Man, the Fleck hate makes no sense. You guys must be having too many Brewester flashbacks. If the idiots in charge really do fire Claeys, getting Fleck would be almost too good to be true.

Man, the Fleck hate makes no sense. You guys must be having too many Brewester flashbacks. If the idiots in charge really do fire Claeys, getting Fleck would be almost too good to be true.
I know next to nothing about him aside from his record, but the datapoint of lots of good jobs opening up and he didn't get hired and in some cases didn't get an interview is an interesting note.

Why? On what rationale?

Top Bottom