If it is Fleck...

I know next to nothing about him aside from his record, but the datapoint of lots of good jobs opening up and he didn't get hired and in some cases didn't get an interview is an interesting note.

We will be lucky to get anyone of any substance to come here if Claeys is fired. There are going to be red flags with any coach that would agree to work here after this mess. I'd take a guy who won 12 games and only lost by 8 to Wisc. in a heartbeat.

I didn't read this entire thread so I don't know if this was already mentioned, but if we hired Fleck I could see Claeys as a candidate for Western Michigan. When is the last time two teams swapped coaches?

We will be lucky to get anyone of any substance to come here if Claeys is fired. There are going to be red flags with any coach that would agree to work here after this mess. I'd take a guy who won 12 games and only lost by 8 to Wisc. in a heartbeat.

I disagree. Minnesota is in their best position to land a good coach in 3 decades

For the very same reason people think Claeys should be brought back.
Back to back bowl wins
8+ wins 3/4 seasons
Winnable division play rather than being with the big 3
New facilities on the way
Good young core

Mike Grant has won multiple titles, maybe he'd be a good hire???

Maybe we shouldn't fire Claeys if any coach taking this job would raise red flags.....

Man, the Fleck hate makes no sense. You guys must be having too many Brewester flashbacks. If the idiots in charge really do fire Claeys, getting Fleck would be almost too good to be true.

Im not sure about Fleck being "Too good to be true" but I agree that the Fleck/Brewster comparison makes little to no sense.

Brewster was only a HC at a catholic high school before Minnesota.

PJ Fleck turned a G5 program around and brought them to the Cotton Bowl.

Fleck is more qualified already then Brewster ever was.

Im not sure about Fleck being "Too good to be true" but I agree that the Fleck/Brewster comparison makes little to no sense.

I should have added that it would be almost too good to be true to get any coach with a winning record to come here after this mess. I hope Some Guy is correct and the U is in a good position, but I don't see it.

I should have added that it would be almost too good to be true to get any coach with a winning record to come here after this mess. I hope Some Guy is correct and the U is in a good position, but I don't see it.

I hope we keep Claeys over anyone else but I believe the Fleck/Brewster comparison is just people being lazy. There is nothing behind it I mean.

I don't think people were actually comparing the two coaches. I know I wasn't in here. Brewster gets brought up when people say things like "we need a coach with more energy to help sell the program/recruit".

Brewster was that type. The rest of his resume was garbage (actually had a better resume as a recruiter). But Brewster gets brought up as a counterargument to the idea that we need a coach with a certain kind of personality. All that matters is their ability to coach.

I didn't read this entire thread so I don't know if this was already mentioned, but if we hired Fleck I could see Claeys as a candidate for Western Michigan. When is the last time two teams swapped coaches?

I bet PJ has swapped before.

I don't think people were actually comparing the two coaches. I know I wasn't in here. Brewster gets brought up when people say things like "we need a coach with more energy to help sell the program/recruit".

Brewster was that type. The rest of his resume was garbage (actually had a better resume as a recruiter). But Brewster gets brought up as a counterargument to the idea that we need a coach with a certain kind of personality. All that matters is their ability to coach.

Ty. That makes sense.

We are in a perpetual abusive relationship with hoping the next coach will be better.

Whatever happens, just remember that trail blazers blaze trails. Can't lose with that logic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PecVeQY.gif

Only way Claeys gets fired is Coyle trying to cover his and Kaler's butts.

So logic check here. if you're PJ Fleck, and a hot commodity, and a candidate for every open position and several positions that aren't open you:

Take a job with a program that's on the right track but needs a coach. Admin and school is behind the program, Facilities are up to date or on their way, recruiting base exists......OR.......

*You take a job from a man that will be fired in the next 12 months.
*Your soon to be fired boss's boss will also be fired in the next 12 months
*At a school that just fired a guy for going 9-4 for essentially supporting the kids on the team who were left out in the cold, as he was, by an administration that is in damage control on their own jobs, not trying to help the alleged victim, or fairly and honestly determine the culpability of the alleged assaulters.
*That will be paying out significant amounts of money to settle lawsuits for how the current situation was handled
*In a situation where recruiting has always been difficult, and is now even more so
*For a fan base that considers a very strong win against a very good opponent worthless because they don't think the Holiday Bowl is worthy of their time

Yeah. We have a chance.

Pretty sure even Tim Brewster won't touch this job today.

I thought Maturi was a complete and total idiot that went out of his way to destroy the U, but Coyle has proven to be far more effective in a shorter period of time, simply because he couldn't talk to Claeys before they announced the suspensions and helped him be prepared to talk with the team and avoid the total cluster that unfurled because of poor communication and stupid, CYA decisions made by Kaler and Coyle (and by this I mean, not laying things out to Claeys and getting his buy-in before going public but claiming that he was informed and on board, publicly naming and shaming the players when the little due process that is available to the players through the EOAA process had not played out, not doing their homework on who was and was not involved, etc. I have no issue if players who were involved were suspended - albeit extremely belatedly, based on the allegations alone, however we knew of the allegations in September, so why where the players allowed back on the team? Why did this play out the way it did? Where was the righteous indignation in September? Everything that transpired before the bowl game could have been avoided with a little common sense and good communication. To think that any coach will take this job today is as stupid as insisting Tony Dungy is coming back to lead us to the promised land.

A bad situation has become far worse because Kaler and Coyle are poor leaders. Unless and until the U gets real leadership, any success we can muster on the sports front will be short lived. Wren's been preaching this for years, and the current mess has proven that we don't have real leadership. My only hope is that the two regents who met with the players understand the mess that Coyle and Kaler have created and flush them soon. Somewhere between these two spineless simps plans and how the University of Iowa handles Sexual Assault (if Claeys had reportedly done what Kirk Fierenz did, than yeah, fire his ass, but by all accounts he did nothing of the kind) http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/23/iowa.rape.allegations/ there is a way to protect those that need protecting, whether the alleged victim or the alleged perpetrators unless and until this plays out. For those of you interested, here's how the story ended. http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=6041496

He already knows to lose to Wisconsin, so he has perfect credentials to coach our Gophers.

If this doesn't make you want PJ Fleck I don't know what will

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qwV6vUG3WM0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qwV6vUG3WM0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What's it like to be easily manipulated? Ooh a shiny object!!!!

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.

Cripes.

Did he actually tell his players that they were doorknobs :confused:

Mike Grant has won multiple titles, maybe he'd be a good hire???

Maybe we shouldn't fire Claeys if any coach taking this job would raise red flags.....

Mike Grant is a respectable HS coach, but a P5 school bringing up a Minnesota High School coach to lead their program would be a HUGE mistake. HUGE.

Was that a real Diamond??

Top Bottom