If it is Fleck...

I obviously don't know the man personally, but Fleck seems kinda sketchy to me, like a used car salesman. Something about him says future probation.

I don't know what to do with Clayes. I'm with an earlier poster who said that after the game with Becky he wanted Clayes gone. I felt that way too. Clayes has been involved with 6 straight losses to Becky and has never beat them. If u can't beat Becky, I want to go another direction. Having said that, I was so impressed with what they did to Wazzu that I kind of want to give him another season to see what they can do with another year under Clayes belt.

This would have been so much easier if Wazzu had blown us out. Glad I'm not Coyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting back to the OP topic- there is zero chance the asst coaches from our current staff would stay - or be asked for that matter. You don't think PJ likes and is loyal to his own staff?

But I also think the chance of going after and seducing PJ are zero

Getting back to the OP topic- there is zero chance the asst coaches from our current staff would stay - or be asked for that matter. You don't think PJ likes and is loyal to his own staff?

But I also think the chance of going after and seducing PJ are zero

I don't hire him without a commitment to up his staff. Sawvel is better than any coach he has.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not arguing that about Sawvel- although there was an amazing multitude of comments throughout the first 2/3 of the season that Sawvel was over his head as a D.C.!

I just don't see Sawvel hitching his wagon to RTB

I'm not arguing that about Sawvel- although there was an amazing multitude of comments throughout the first 2/3 of the season that Sawvel was over his head as a D.C.!

I just don't see Sawvel hitching his wagon to RTB

Losing Sawvel, whether it's now or later, will be a big blow. Not only is he a phenomenal coach but he's also our best recruiter. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a successful head coach in the next 10 years.

Just from the little I have seen of Fleck I could see your point. Talk about a complete personality change at the top. Claeys strikes me as very little ego.

I really don't want Claeys to go for two reasons:

1 - The basis of him being fired would be around the way he handled the boycott. I believe the boycott was more the result of mismanagement of the situation by the University administration than the Football Coach and he should not be made a scapegoat. If Claeys is fired or pushed out I doubt any other coach with options would come here. Why would they?

2. Given our situation we need a staff that can spot and coach 'under the radar talent' up to play at a high level because we won't recruit anyone out of state with above average ratings for years to come. I feel our current coaching team is as good as anyone at doing that - Murray, Wilson, BBC, Cobb, Myrick, Smith, Brooks etc...

Even with a comeback win today I would rate what our coaching team did at Northern Illinois as highly as anything WMU has achieved this season. That doesn't necessarily mean automatic success in the B1G. Claeys is continuing the work Coach Kill started and is turning Minnesota Football around - that work, blame aside, has suffered a major setback because of non-football issues; especially in our new context continuity gives us the best chance to win IMHO.

I don't hire him without a commitment to up his staff. Sawvel is better than any coach he has.

How do you know? No one had any clue who Sawvel was when he came here as a DB coach from Northern Illinois.

I'd take Pelini over Fleck any day. Not even close.

Don't let your affinity for Claeys affect your judgement or anything. Of course, you don't have to worry about it because there is little to no chance of a coach as good as Fleck coming to the University of Minnesota anytime soon.

Hopefully Claeys goes 4-0 to start next year so there are more than 33k Gopher fans at TCF Bank Stadium.

Don't let your affinity for Claeys affect your judgement or anything. Of course, you don't have to worry about it because there is little to no chance of a coach as good as Fleck coming to the University of Minnesota anytime soon.

Hopefully Claeys goes 4-0 to start next year so there are more than 33k Gopher fans at TCF Bank Stadium.

Why would my thoughts on TC have any bearing on if I would prefer Pelini to Fleck?

And Maybe... Some Day you just stay home.

PJs sprinting down the field at the end of the quarter reminds me of something we did to pump up kids coaching Junior High football

Why would my thoughts on TC have any bearing on if I would prefer Pelini to Fleck?

Because your take lacks basic football knowledge.

Claeys will be let go, along with staff, and sit out a year. Kill will be named HC of Rutgers next year, and bring back his entire staff, Claeys, Sawvel, etc. Next time we play them they'll truck us. And it will be poetic justice.

Funny. When the Big Ten bottom feeders almost beat us this year everyone was calling for Claeys head.

Because your take lacks basic football knowledge.

That's your answer? I said I would take Pelini over Fleck. You said that is because I like TC as coach and when you are questioned on how that is relevant at all you say it lacked basic football knowledge. WTH are you even talking about?

Find me anything Fleck has accomplished that Pelini hasn't if you want to have a conversation. Sh1t, I don't even like Pelini, but Fleck has done Nothing.

You said we don't have to worry about a coach as good as PJF coming here - based on all his offers it seems just about every school in the Country doesn't have to worry about that.

That's your answer? I said I would take Pelini over Fleck. You said that is because I like TC as coach and when you are questioned on how that is relevant at all you say it lacked basic football knowledge. WTH are you even talking about?

Find me anything Fleck has accomplished that Pelini hasn't if you want to have a conversation. Sh1t, I don't even like Pelini, but Fleck has done Nothing.

You said we don't have to worry about a coach as good as PJF coming here - based on all his offers it seems just about every school in the Country doesn't have to worry about that.

That's because you call Hardees, "Carl's Jr". Spoofin.... even though the local joints are clearly called Hardee's... come on man get with it.

Losing Sawvel, whether it's now or later, will be a big blow. Not only is he a phenomenal coach but he's also our best recruiter. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a successful head coach in the next 10 years.

This. I've come to realize that my support for Claeys is deeply rooted in wanting Sawvel and Sherels to remain on the Gopher sideline for as long as possible.

This. I've come to realize that my support for Claeys is deeply rooted in wanting Sawvel and Sherels to remain on the Gopher sideline for as long as possible.

Hey Kill brought Claeys.

HCs are as much about who they can find / put around them.

Saban probabbly would get obliterated coaching on his own with so-so coordinators. That's how the job is.

Why would you take Pelini over Fleck? Oregon Gopher feel free to chime in.

Not terribly impressed with Fleck. Kinda Brewster 2.0. The game seems to big for the players, which is a reflection of their coach. Apart from their WR and a QB that's competent, I don't think this team is any better than MN.

Not terribly impressed with Fleck. Kinda Brewster 2.0. The game seems to big for the players, which is a reflection of their coach. Apart from their WR and a QB that's competent, I don't think this team is any better than MN.

Brewster 2.0 except that he has his team in a better bowl than the gophers have been to in 50 years

What?

Why would you take Pelini over Fleck? Oregon Gopher feel free to chime in.

Simple: He is more proven and has accomplished more than PJF. In fact, I know of nothing PJF has accomplished that Pelini didn't. Pelini spent 9 years in the NFL and 7 as a P5 HC. He has recruited better players than PJF and has a 83-36 record as a HC.
PJ spent 1 year in the NFL, was never an OC or DC, spent 2-years in a P5 program as a WR coach and is 30-21 as a HC - his only HC experience in the MAC. Also, he came up with "row the boat" which is a Brewster thing if I ever heard one.

Again, I'm not in favor of hiring Pelini. I simply said I would take him over PJF. Now, tell me why you prefer PJF with something other than "basic football knowledge".

Here's something Fleck has accomplished that Pelini hasn't. Stay within 30 points against Wisconsin. He's had 3 opportunities in his career and he's a big 0 for 3. 3 30 plus point losses, and that's WITH the resources of Nebraska. Has Pelini ever gone 13-0? How about not getting fired? Yet I'm being irrational.

Me being 22 years old, and watching PJ Fleck I would go to battle for him. When i was looking for a college my biggest influence on my decision came from the coach and how relatable he was to me. Fleck looks like a coach that will go to battle for the players, and the respect from him and the players go both ways. This game was never really close, but Western Michigan played them better then what i thought they would.

I read that a poster said something along the lines that we needed a coach who could coach up these lower star players. What do you think a team like Western Michigan has to do every year. They aren't getting any 4 star recruits. Im fine if the Gophers stick with Claeys. I think he deserves more time with the Gophers, but if he is gone i will be disappointed with anyone else besides Fleck.

Top Bottom