If it is Fleck...

Don't let your affinity for Claeys affect your judgement or anything. Of course, you don't have to worry about it because there is little to no chance of a coach as good as Fleck coming to the University of Minnesota anytime soon.

Hopefully Claeys goes 4-0 to start next year so there are more than 33k Gopher fans at TCF Bank Stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pelini is a better couch than PJ....that's not even a question. I would absolutely take him over PJ.

Having said that, my first choice is to have TC back next year.

Why would you take Pelini over Fleck? Oregon Gopher feel free to chime in.

You were the one that fired the salvo that preferring Pelini to RTB showed a lack of football knowledge. The impetus is on you to prove how this is true as there is no rational stream of thought to support your assertion.

This. I've come to realize that my support for Claeys is deeply rooted in wanting Sawvel and Sherels to remain on the Gopher sideline for as long as possible.
This is where I am too. Truth is we don't know how much of the defense is Sawvel or Sawvel living through Claeys. Sure seems like Sawvel has it "it" factor and I feel like Sherels is needed in the program.

Also, he came up with "row the boat" which is a Brewster thing if I ever heard one.

“Row The Boat first came to the forefront when my wife and I lost our second child,” Fleck says in the video. “We had a second son after Carter, we had a second son name Colt. And Colton had a heart condition and we lost him shortly after birth. We knew toward the end of the pregnancy that we were going to lose him, it was just a matter of how long he’d be with us. We got to spend time with him, be with him, hold him. But to watch your son pass away in your wife’s arms is an amazing experience in terms of the amount of sorrow and the amount of frustration, questions.

“But it was something that I had in the back of my mind to say, ‘Hey, no matter what happens, no matter what we’re going to do here, we’re just going to keep rowing. Whatever turns out, however it turns out, we’re just going to keep rowing. Then when it does turn out, good or bad, we’re just going to keep rowing, keep rowing and keep rowing. So, it was able to, at least, help my method to get through some type of adversity.”

Get Your Chili Hot Part 2

“Row The Boat first came to the forefront when my wife and I lost our second child,” Fleck says in the video. “We had a second son after Carter, we had a second son name Colt. And Colton had a heart condition and we lost him shortly after birth. We knew toward the end of the pregnancy that we were going to lose him, it was just a matter of how long he’d be with us. We got to spend time with him, be with him, hold him. But to watch your son pass away in your wife’s arms is an amazing experience in terms of the amount of sorrow and the amount of frustration, questions.

“But it was something that I had in the back of my mind to say, ‘Hey, no matter what happens, no matter what we’re going to do here, we’re just going to keep rowing. Whatever turns out, however it turns out, we’re just going to keep rowing. Then when it does turn out, good or bad, we’re just going to keep rowing, keep rowing and keep rowing. So, it was able to, at least, help my method to get through some type of adversity.”

Spoofin has been snuffed

Me being 22 years old, and watching PJ Fleck I would go to battle for him. When i was looking for a college my biggest influence on my decision came from the coach and how relatable he was to me. Fleck looks like a coach that will go to battle for the players, and the respect from him and the players go both ways. This game was never really close, but Western Michigan played them better then what i thought they would.

I read that a poster said something along the lines that we needed a coach who could coach up these lower star players. What do you think a team like Western Michigan has to do every year. They aren't getting any 4 star recruits. Im fine if the Gophers stick with Claeys. I think he deserves more time with the Gophers, but if he is gone i will be disappointed with anyone else besides Fleck.

For me, I think Fleck probably makes the most sense if the Gophers move on from Claeys.

His personality, like any personality, only really matters if we are winning. That kind of attitude can REALLY rub people the wrong the way when things are going south. I defended Brewster for the chili remarks, not because I thought he was a good coach, but the premise was that kind of guy will be called a "snakeoil salesman"/"used car salesman" when things are going bad and "energetic" and "positive" when things are going well. Brew failed here because he was a bad coach, not because he had a big personality. I think the same will be said for Fleck. His personality only matters if we're winning. It will REALLY turn people off to the program if things aren't going great.

As far as Western Michigan. . . they are playing other MAC teams. The question is if those 2/3 star players can compete in the Big 10. We really don't know if Fleck will be a good recruiter or if he will be able to develop a team that can compete in the Big 10. There have been a lot of guys who seem like they can "coach em up" in the MAC that fail in the Big 10.

Is this the same wife that he cheated on?

I agree bob. No doubt Claeys can coach the team to 6-8 win regular seasons. Fleck may not be able to do that.

I think you make the decision based on who can coach the team to 10 and 11 win regular seasons. Who is more likely to do that? TC or PJ?
I honestly am not sure the answer on that. Neither has proven it at the P5 level.

Why would you take Pelini over Fleck? Oregon Gopher feel free to chime in.

You can't be serious. He's had one losing season as a HC...last year at Youngstown. They won 12 games this year. As has been said pretty much everywhere...he won 9 or 10 games every season at Neb a HC.

I didn't know the history of RTB. BFD. How does that change anything on why I'd rather have Pelini than PJF?

Like Pelini as well, I'm sick of hearing that this guy is Tim Brewster with essentially zero research. It's the equivalent of calling Pete Caroll Tim Brewster 2.0 based only on rahrah personality. Brewster was as empty a HC as you can get, a coach in the Cotton Bowl is obviously on another planet.

Like Pelini as well, I'm sick of hearing that this guy is Tim Brewster with essentially zero research. It's the equivalent of calling Pete Caroll Tim Brewster 2.0 based only on rahrah personality.

Then why did you ignore the other 6-7 things I posted that had nothing to do with his personality. Seems odd you picked out the one thing you are sick of hearing about to discuss further.

I agree bob. No doubt Claeys can coach the team to 6-8 win regular seasons. Fleck may not be able to do that.

I think you make the decision based on who can coach the team to 10 and 11 win regular seasons. Who is more likely to do that? TC or PJ?
I honestly am not sure the answer on that. Neither has proven it at the P5 level.

I agree.

For me, I just think the best way to get 10/11 wins is to regularly win 6-8 wins. I think most of the programs who have turned around, did it this way (Oregon, Wisconsin, etc.). I'm sure there are examples of needing a guy to make the jump from good to really good. So maybe I'd just rather go the safe route because I've been a fan of the Gophers for a long time (decent/good feels alright).

For me, I think Fleck probably makes the most sense if the Gophers move on from Claeys.

His personality, like any personality, only really matters if we are winning. That kind of attitude can REALLY rub people the wrong the way when things are going south. I defended Brewster for the chili remarks, not because I thought he was a good coach, but the premise was that kind of guy will be called a "snakeoil salesman"/"used car salesman" when things are going bad and "energetic" and "positive" when things are going well. Brew failed here because he was a bad coach, not because he had a big personality. I think the same will be said for Fleck. His personality only matters if we're winning. It will REALLY turn people off to the program if things aren't going great.

As far as Western Michigan. . . they are playing other MAC teams. The question is if those 2/3 star players can compete in the Big 10. We really don't know if Fleck will be a good recruiter or if he will be able to develop a team that can compete in the Big 10. There have been a lot of guys who seem like they can "coach em up" in the MAC that fail in the Big 10.

This...

First choice is TC but I'd take Pelini over PJ everytime though... Bonus being Faux Pelini becomes relevant again!

Here's something Fleck has accomplished that Pelini hasn't. Stay within 30 points against Wisconsin. He's had 3 opportunities in his career and he's a big 0 for 3. 3 30 plus point losses, and that's WITH the resources of Nebraska. Has Pelini ever gone 13-0? How about not getting fired? Yet I'm being irrational.

So, until today the only thing he accomplished was not getting fired?

I agree with this, I think the talent level at Western Mich can be looked at as equivalent to the teams in the middle of the Big 10. Them beating illinois isn't impressive, but beating Northwestern wasn't a bad win. They competed with Wisconsin today, but you could tell that wisconsin was just the more dominate team which everyone would agree. With that being said there were some really good looking players on that Western Michigan team, and it would be interesting how Fleck could recruit having much more resources in Minnesota. It gives him much more to sell to players.

As far as people not liking his personality, I get it. If a football team is losing though, fans are going to try to find anything to get pissed about. Look no further than any Gopher Football game thread! A winning culture starts by having a team buy into what the coach is selling. Which i truly believe our football team right now is buying into what Claeys and the staff are selling. There is no need to blow up anything that we have going right now. I just want to make it clear that my #1 option for running this football team is Tracy Claeys

Fleck was 2-1 against the B1G this year with Western Michigan. He already has a MAC team that can compete in the B1G. Give a guy with his energy and personality B1G resources, recruiting enough talent to compete is the last thing I'm worried about.

My choices:
1. TC
2. BP
3. Wren
4. PJF

And lost by 39 in the same year really weird.

Never said he didn't.

Someone said that Fleck was impressive for keeping it within 30 against WI. Pelini beat WI, lost to him later, but that win still counts.

Fleck was 2-1 against the B1G this year with Western Michigan. He already has a MAC team that can compete in the B1G. Give a guy with his energy and personality B1G resources, recruiting enough talent to compete is the last thing I'm worried about.

I don't mean this to rip on you, but were you a Gopher fan during the Brew years?

He had energy and personality and Big 10 resources (brand new stadium too).

PJs sprinting down the field at the end of the quarter reminds me of something we did to pump up kids coaching Junior High football

TC sprinting down the field would be a huge hit on Youtube! He can barely walk the length of the field. Fleck will be in high demand in the future. TC has the gang bang and the boycott tweet on his resume. The fans were booing a few games because his offense was so ho hum.
The energy leading to enthusiasm comparison between the two is laughable.

I don't mean this to rip on you, but were you a Gopher fan during the Brew years?

He had energy and personality and Big 10 resources (brand new stadium too).

Brewster had never been a college head coach prior to Minnesota. He had no idea what it takes to run a college program. There is no comparison between Fleck and Brewster.

Top Bottom