Gophers in Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn's Final 3 - Decision coming Thursday at 10 AM

Exactly right. Facilities are simply used as a scapegoat to excuse mediocrity or failure. A team clearly cannot have decrepit facilities. Some baseline is required to recruit players, but that baseline is incredibly low. The Gophers pass that with flying colors. While these facilities are nice and luxurious, they cost the students and taxpayers money to maintain, and in some cases build, while seeing little return on investment in recruiting.

Hire coaches who can teach the game, develop players, and recruit high level talent.it is easy to say but hard to do as recruiting is a zero sum game, and finding coaches who can do all three requires a lot of money for guys who have proven they can do it, or some hard work and luck when trying to find the next young coach who can.

Facilities, while nice, are not the panacea. They're closer to a luxurious boondoggle than an effective recruiting tool.

Panacea? No.... A recruiting tool....absolutely.

You will find very few coaches that won't stress the importance of having facilities on par with other universities. What sounds admirable on GopherHole isn't how it is done at big time universities with true athletic aspirations. That is part of the reason that the top tier coaches wouldn't touch this job when it opened this spring.

These facilities also provide a benefit to the consumers too. I suspect that most students enjoy the game day experience at TCF Bank stadium more than they did at the Metrodome.

Somehow the poor taxpayers and students at Nebraska found a way to support their basketball team even though it is clearly a football town. There are many other examples at other schools. Not sure why it is so difficult to do here....

I saw Tum Tum out last night after the game with Joey King and Malik at one of the football after-parties. He definitely seemed to be enjoying himself (not partaking in the festivities, of course)!

Totally disagree on facilities. If you are going to play your games in a century old building, you better have a practice facility with all the bells and whistles if you want sustained recruiting success. The exception to that comment would be a school that has consistently won AND put players in to the NBA over the last decade or so. I don't think the lack of success on the recruiting trail in recent years can be blamed solely on facilities, but it's certainly a negative that doesn't need to be a negative. Most of the B1G schools deal with the weather (less of a factor with Basketball recruits than Football), but only a couple are significantly behind in the facilities arms race.

I also disagree with the idea that the atmosphere at the football game plays any significant role in a basketball recruits decision.

I saw TumTum walking around the stadium with Dre, I gave him a quick sales pitch and him and Dre just laughed. I take sole responsibility if he commits.

I saw TumTum walking around the stadium with Dre, I gave him a quick sales pitch and him and Dre just laughed. I take sole responsibility if he commits.

I'm going to put it all on you if he commits elsewhere then. Are you ready for that kind of pressure?

Another future commitment "up in smoke." :)

Panacea? No.... A recruiting tool....absolutely.

You will find very few coaches that won't stress the importance of having facilities on par with other universities. What sounds admirable on GopherHole isn't how it is done at big time universities with true athletic aspirations. That is part of the reason that the top tier coaches wouldn't touch this job when it opened this spring.

These facilities also provide a benefit to the consumers too. I suspect that most students enjoy the game day experience at TCF Bank stadium more than they did at the Metrodome.

Somehow the poor taxpayers and students at Nebraska found a way to support their basketball team even though it is clearly a football town. There are many other examples at other schools. Not sure why it is so difficult to do here....

Wow, just wow. Please don't agree with me if you are going to take my statement and blow it way out of context to suite your own argument.

I stand by the fact that we don't lose prospects because of our facilities. That doesn't mean they don't have value and it doesn't mean they aren't important to recruiting. They wont be the only reason a player chooses to go else where...but they are part of the whole.

I just feel that relationships, style of play and academics (in some cases) play a larger role. The issue is, when these factors are equal, facilities can be a tie breaker. Not just for the cool factor but because is shows the prospect a commitment to them and excellence. The kid knows he is going to generate millions of dollars for his school, are they going to reward him? We don't reward the ones that earn for us as much as we should, IMO.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Lourawls 'Tum Tum' Nairn liked his Minnesota visit 'a lot,' his AAU coach tells <a href="https://twitter.com/SNYtv">@SNYtv</a>. Will have story later</p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/373857274588299265">August 31, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Lourawls 'Tum Tum' Nairn liked his Minnesota visit 'a lot,' his AAU coach tells <a href="https://twitter.com/SNYtv">@SNYtv</a>. Will have story later</p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/373857274588299265">August 31, 2013</a></blockquote>

It's now later.

It's now later.

Link: http://zagsblog.com/articles/nairns-enjoys-minnesota-oklahoma-up-next/

I didn't expect my smart a$$ post to result in a link.

Thanks.:)

“I didn’t know what to expect going up there but I went on an official, got a chance to see the school, got a chance to see a lot of people there,” Nairn told SNY.tv Saturday. “I had a good time, it was cool.”

“I think they want me bad,” Nairn said of Minnesota. “[Pitino] told me I’m his No. 1 recruit and showed me stuff how I can fit in their offense, being a pick-and-roll guy, playing uptempo, pushing the ball and stuff like that.”

Go Gophers!!

“I didn’t know what to expect going up there but I went on an official, got a chance to see the school, got a chance to see a lot of people there,” Nairn told SNY.tv Saturday. “I had a good time, it was cool.”

“I think they want me bad,” Nairn said of Minnesota. “[Pitino] told me I’m his No. 1 recruit and showed me stuff how I can fit in their offense, being a pick-and-roll guy, playing uptempo, pushing the ball and stuff like that.”

Go Gophers!!

I think "I didn't know what to expect" will be a common line, once guys get out here though, I think they will be impressed.

I for one think he's the only top 100 guy in the class that we have a chance at landing. Common Tum Tum, be a Gopher!

if by "we have a chance at landing" you mean frontrunner then i would agree with you, i think he is the only one who has Minnesota as his frontrunner in the top 100 if you consider Macura not in the top 100, but am still faithful on Whitehead and Reid, obviously IU is the frontrunner right now for Whitehead but The Robert Johnson commitment can and will change that, it is just like the Kaleb Joseph thing, we all thought that SU was the frontrunner for Whitehead but if SU landed Joseph first then that could effectively eliminate them in the Whitehead sweepstakes, and we all knew Joseph would commit to SU and before whitehead, its the same thing here, its a little different since Isaiah is a good amount better then Johnson compared to Joseph and Isaiah but they do play the exact same position where Joseph was more of a combo guard and we expect Robert to commit before Isaiah, so the situations are about equal

Common Tum Tum, be a Gopher!

SMH. :rolleyes:

I guess that means you think we have no chance at Macura (top 100 Scout, just outside top 100 in the other svcs) who's visited about 5 times; Reid Travis who's giving us an official; Josh Cunningham who's giving us an official; Paul White who's said he's giving us an official; Vaughn, who's visited many times; Whitehead, who's said he's giving us an official. Probably others I'm forgetting.

If we get only 1 or zero top 100 players this class, I would be disappointed and very surprised. Don't think that'll happen. But yeah, it is disappointing Tum Tum didn't commit on his visit and cancel the others. I've long thought we were the favorite for him, but not so sure now.

SMH. :rolleyes:

I guess that means you think we have no chance at Macura (top 100 Scout, just outside top 100 in the other svcs) who's visited about 5 times; Reid Travis who's giving us an official; Josh Cunningham who's giving us an official; Paul White who's said he's giving us an official; Vaughn, who's visited many times; Whitehead, who's said he's giving us an official. Probably others I'm forgetting.

If we get only 1 or zero top 100 players this class, I would be disappointed and very surprised. Don't think that'll happen. But yeah, it is disappointing Tum Tum didn't commit on his visit and cancel the others. I've long thought we were the favorite for him, but not so sure now.

It's a logical argument, but my gut feeling if I have to have one? Tum Tum is the only top 100 (Rivals/ESPN) player to become a Gopher, and Macura also becomes a Gopher (he is not top 100 on Rivals/ESPN).
On the contrary, I just don't see the other O.O.S. players like Whitehead, Cunningham, Martin, and White committing here. As for Reid and Rashad, nobody knows, but it just seems to me they want something bigger and better.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Also according to <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN">@RyanJamesMN</a>, 4-star 2014 PG <a href="https://twitter.com/lourawlsnairn">@lourawlsnairn</a> will have <a href="https://twitter.com/MNCoachPitino">@MNCoachPitino</a>, Oklahoma and possible Indiana on campus Monday.</p>— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsGI) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsGI/statuses/376023105769992193">September 6, 2013</a></blockquote>

Son of a...

Eric Bossi (@ebosshoops) tweeted at 2:29 PM on Thu, Sep 12, 2013:Once again, sounds like four-star Lourawls Nairn is visiting Michigan State this weekend.

Son of a...

Eric Bossi (@ebosshoops) tweeted at 2:29 PM on Thu, Sep 12, 2013:Once again, sounds like four-star Lourawls Nairn is visiting Michigan State this weekend.

I thought he had cut his list to 3? I wasn't aware that MSU was in the mix for Tum Tum. Bad news though, just more competition.

I thought he had cut his list to 3? I wasn't aware that MSU was in the mix for Tum Tum. Bad news though, just more competition.

He had, but of course that is never final with these young kids. Michigan State knows Tyler Ulis is choosing Kentucky tomorrow so they have moved on to their backup plan.

*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# Izzo. It will be interesting to see how many of these kids stay true to their claim that "relationship" and "comfort" is a key factor in their decision. MSU with Tum Tum and Indiana with both Tum Tum and Whitehead. If relationship has anything to do with their decisions the late comers shouldn't have a chance. Though I'm not holding my breath.

*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# Izzo. It will be interesting to see how many of these kids stay true to their claim that "relationship" and "comfort" is a key factor in their decision. MSU with Tum Tum and Indiana with both Tum Tum and Whitehead. If relationship has anything to do with their decisions the late comers shouldn't have a chance. Though I'm not holding my breath.

Agree on MSU (at least as far as I know) but Nairn has been quoted many times saying Indiana has been there pretty much from the start. Just because an offer comes later doesn't mean a relationship hasn't been building.

News for us Gopher bball fans just continues to get worse... and worse... and worse.

I've always liked MSU, but if Tum Tum goes there they'll quickly become one of my least favorite teams.

This is all a result of Mudiay choosing the hometown school of SMU. Mudiay to Kentucky means Ulis to MSU and no visit for Tum Tum. Crazy how this PG musical chairs is affecting the Gophers, and not in a good way. Also, Snider choosing Illinois is more bad news for the Gophers since they're in the big ten and are a similar program right now, just more competition.

This is all a result of Mudiay choosing the hometown school of SMU. Mudiay to Kentucky means Ulis to MSU and no visit for Tum Tum. Crazy how this PG musical chairs is affecting the Gophers, and not in a good way. Also, Snider choosing Illinois is more bad news for the Gophers since they're in the big ten and are a similar program right now, just more competition.

If only we had a Mudiay-like PG prospect that wanted to stay in-state...

Top Bottom