Gophers in Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn's Final 3 - Decision coming Thursday at 10 AM

I really haven't paid a lot of attention to his recruitment as of late.. is there any reason / indication to think Oklahoma isn't the team to beat?

Not that I'm aware of. The general consensus on this board seems to be that since Crean took Tum Tum to church and his coach commented on that....done deal.

The "experts" on 247 are much more aligned behind Michigan State and Oklahoma.

I think the best friend angle at Oklahoma is a much bigger threat than pastor Crean.

Not that I'm aware of. The general consensus on this board seems to be that since Crean took Tum Tum to church and his coach commented on that....done deal.

I think the best friend angle at Oklahoma is a much bigger threat than pastor Crean.

I agree. I bet the Pitino's know the pope.

It's my understanding that the Spartans and the Sooners are considered the frontrunners. I suppose we'll find out Thursday. Hopefully they're all wrong.

In fact, I bet you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I was at the game when Burton went into the seats to grab Clem. Everyone stood up, and gave Clem a standing ovation. The next day on the radio Barreiro ripped everyone in the stands.

I really don't think you know the fan base as well as you think.

I was at the game when Burton went into the seats to grab Clem. Everyone stood up, and gave Clem a standing ovation. The next day on the radio Barreiro ripped everyone in the stands.

I really don't think you know the fan base as well as you think.

Fine...you start a poll and let's see how many people would rather cheat to win. Make sure that people votes are shown.

Keep the faith. I'd put my money on Oklahoma, but I don't think our chances are as low as it seems on the last 2 pages.

Yeah not sure why some seem to think the recruitment was done the instant Tom Crean took him to church. If religion is as big a part of Tum Tum's life as it seems to be, I'm sure Pitino knew about it and probably told him about the opportunities he would have to practice his faith in the Twin Cities.

It is over. He is going to Indiana. I knew it the second he said he liked going to church with Crean. Nairn hasn't hid the fact that he is religious. He said he would pray on what school to go to. Well, he sat and prayed right next to Crean in church. I mean it isn't hard tto connect the dots. Crean obviously knew this about Nairn and brought him to church to seal the deal. I doubt Crean goes to church with every recruit. He knows how to sell people.

I really hope Pitino picked up on Nairn's religious views and tried to sell himself as a religious person and also took Nairn to church. If he didn't, then he didn't know the person he was recruiting and he never actually had a chance. Let's hope Pitino picked up on that, otherwise he isn't as good of a recruiter as he talks himself up to be or as he tries to project.

When exactly did Pitno talk himself up or try to project himself as a great recruiter? Seems most of that talking up and projecting Pitino as a great recruiter has come from posters on this board not Pitino himself.

I would rather be pure and be successful too, but that isn't realistic. Crean got his guy, and he didn't have to break an NCAA rule. That is as pure as you can get in recruiting. Crean is smart, and he pulled it off cleanly.

How do we expect to compete with the big boys who have better programs if you don't even pander to a kids' belief system? The short answer is you can't. We got out hustled fair and square.

If P is a religious person, by all means take the kid to church. But don't be fake, I don't want a snake oil salesman. And if that means we miss out on high tier talent once and a while, I'm fine with that. If we lose Tum Tum because he's a religious guy and Crean posed as the religious coach (even though I swear I've seen that he is a pious man) Tum Tum wasn't for us then.

I do not want a coach Cal or a Crean leading this team. I want someone like Izzo/Smart/Stevens that out works, out coaches, and is a genuinely good individual leading this program. If that doesn't get the top talent, I don't want them.

Not sure why people think Indiana is the huge favorite right now. Tum Tum has said playing time right away is a big deal and Indiana already has Yogi at PG and Robert Johnson, a combo guard, already committed. If I had to guess I'd say he's going to MSU. The opportunity to take over for Appling is there, and Tum Tum jumped at the chance to visit after they offered. If not MSU, then I'll go with Oklahoma second and pick the team that has recruited him for a long time and has his best friend already on the team.

Quick question....

How are we in TUM TUM final three if there are 4 schools that are the favorites?

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 1m
Lourawls Nairn is done with his home visits leading up to his Thursday announcement, his coach tells @SNYtv

From Zagsblog earlier this week:
"Lindsted said coaches from all four schools will be in to see Nairn this week 'unless we tell them not to bother.'”

Not a good sign. Sounds like they told everyone "not to bother" and have already made a decision.

From Zagsblog earlier this week:
"Lindsted said coaches from all four schools will be in to see Nairn this week 'unless we tell them not to bother.'”

Not a good sign. Sounds like they told everyone "not to bother" and have already made a decision.

It's not a good sign if you are assuming that we needed the visit to change his opinion. If he was leaning Minnesota, then cancelling all the visits is a good thing. If he was leaning elsewhere, then you are right. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

It's not a good sign if you are assuming that we needed the visit to change his opinion. If he was leaning Minnesota, then cancelling all the visits is a good thing. If he was leaning elsewhere, then you are right. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Very true. I just don't think it's likely that he's an MN lean when he's been on 3 visits since he was here. Can't ever say until he announces though.

Very true. I just don't think it's likely that he's an MN lean when he's been on 3 visits since he was here. Can't ever say until he announces though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we visited him a week or two ago, so his official visit wasn't the last time we saw him in person.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we visited him a week or two ago, so his official visit wasn't the last time we saw him in person.

That is correct, I can't remember where this was reported, but Pitino was down to see him at open gym recently, I think last week. I believe at least one of the other coaches was too (Izzo maybe). We don't necessarily know when all these coaches have seen him, either ... we only know if the kid or his HS coach reports it, because the college coaches obviously can't talk, and Tum Tum is more tight lipped about his recruitment than most others.

At one time I felt very good about our chances with Tum Tum. Now, not so much, but on the other hand sooner or later the odds are that one of these guys is going to choose us. It probably takes a special guy to be first, rather than just follow the crowd (or the money), and Tum Tum does seem special (character/personality wise, that is).

There's a 247sports "VIP" article posted on the MSU website. One source from each of Oklahoma and Minnesota felt very good about their recruitment of Tum Tum until MSU offered and he visited there. Apparently he really liked the visit. The Oklahoma source thinks MSU is the team to beat. Indiana seems less likely after the commit of Robert Johnson.

Whenever these MSU's and IU's come in at the last minute and sweep our dates off their feet right in front of us, I can't help but be reminded of...

I'm not arguing that. It's just the way they can change their predictions multiple times, etc.

The whole point of the crystal ball is for fans to see the most updated prediction to where a recruit is going. If it's a recruit like Whitehead, they may need to change the CB several times, to reflect the prediction in "real time". It seems a lot of fans are annoyed by it because the "experts" piggy back off each other's predictions and some fans (like GophinPitts) seem to prefer the experts make one final prediction and stick to it.

The whole point of the crystal ball is for fans to see the most updated prediction to where a recruit is going. If it's a recruit like Whitehead, they may need to change the CB several times, to reflect the prediction in "real time". It seems a lot of fans are annoyed by it because the "experts" piggy back off each other's predictions and some fans (like GophinPitts) seem to prefer the experts make one final prediction and stick to it.

Correct. Crystal Ball is probably the wrong name for it. It's not really a prediction, it's more like an update on where a recruit stands at that point in time based on info these guys are getting from the player, coaches, etc. I think it's useful but definitely not something that should be taken very seriously.

Top Bottom