Deion Sanders Replaces Mike Sanford as Head Coach at Colorado | Tim Brewster Likely Lead Assistant

So for Sean Lewis if the program is successful he possibly turns this into the HC job if Deion bolts.
Excellent hire. He's had some very exciting offenses and is someone who I think will build good culture there.

You'd think that there'd be some excitement surrounding the team. Nope. The look on the players faces says it all. Sanders comes in and tells the players that they don't matter and they should consider leaving. Real dickhead move.
They went 1-11 last year, so the players probably aren't very good. Sanders knows he's going to have 5* athletes flocking to play for him. He could sugar coat it, but shouldn't have to at the P5 level.

They went 1-11 last year, so the players probably aren't very good. Sanders knows he's going to have 5* athletes flocking to play for him. He could sugar coat it, but shouldn't have to at the P5 level.

Not sure how that makes him look any better. If he's going to push out a bunch of players, there's a better way of doing it than in a video promoting himself.

Anyone watched the documentary on Pistol Pete Marivich? His dad was his high school coach and then was hired to be his college coach at LSU. The entire team centered around Pete Marivich. Listening to Sanders pimp his kid as QB made me think of Pistol Pete's dad pimping his son. In the short run Sanders attracts egotists around him. When his son graduates and it's not all about himself, will the sheen wear thin? Time will tell.

Not sure how that makes him look any better. If he's going to push out a bunch of players, there's a better way of doing it than in a video promoting himself.
Agree the video isn't the best look, but I bet that same conversation happens alot. Could be the bat signal to other players that there will be plenty of spots available.

Dumming down of a university in order to get Coach Prime.

Colorado announced the institution will be updating its transfer credit review processes. The school is implementing a program that will provide an expedited assessment of transferability of academic credits from other institutions to be accepted at CU Boulder.

Agree the video isn't the best look, but I bet that same conversation happens alot. Could be the bat signal to other players that there will be plenty of spots available.
I think the conversations tend to happen a lot, but more 1:1 and about the payer's role and so on.

PJ or a coach sitting down and having a difficult conversation "From what I've seen, I don't see you playing on gameday." and such privately is a way different / more respectful thing than filming yourself and the kids / sharing it with the world when you tell them to take a hike ...

I've been at companies with layoffs, I don't recall anyone filming themself and the people being laid off while they tell them ...

Dumming down of a university in order to get Coach Prime.

Colorado announced the institution will be updating its transfer credit review processes. The school is implementing a program that will provide an expedited assessment of transferability of academic credits from other institutions to be accepted at CU Boulder.
I heard on the radio they were starting up a general studies major just to make it easier for the football players to get in and graduate.

I heard on the radio they were starting up a general studies major just to make it easier for the football players to get in and graduate.

The hell is a general studies major?

🤷 Agree to disagree, getting the number one recruit in the nation to Jackson State tells me he can recruit well at Boulder.
Were we arguing different things? This response makes me think so lol. I don't disagree with you that he'll be able to recruit well. My point, as with Scott Frost, was that the talent gap at the previous destination was so wide that it's hard to tell how good of a coach either are/were.

Frost had so much more talent at UCF than the rest of the conf. that he won, but the talent hid his lack of coaching ability. I was posturing the same could be true for Coach Prime. He can recruit, but if he can't coach, they probably won't get the results they are looking for, ala Nebbie and Frost.

Now, the silver lining in all of this that I haven't seen brought up yet: shouldn't this really hurt Nebraska? I mean, their top in-state recruit is some WR. Does he want to be a part of the Rhule rebuild, or go play for Coach Prime? Colorado sucking in so much talent should make it much harder for Nebraska to get anyone, right?

Were we arguing different things? This response makes me think so lol. I don't disagree with you that he'll be able to recruit well. My point, as with Scott Frost, was that the talent gap at the previous destination was so wide that it's hard to tell how good of a coach either are/were.

Frost had so much more talent at UCF than the rest of the conf. that he won, but the talent hid his lack of coaching ability. I was posturing the same could be true for Coach Prime. He can recruit, but if he can't coach, they probably won't get the results they are looking for, ala Nebbie and Frost.
Frost had more talent at UCF than the rest of the American, but he his top end players at UCF weren't Sanders's top end players at Jackson State. If Frost brought his best recruits to Nebraska he would have failed, whereas Sanders's has shown the ability to not just outrecruit his conference he's won battles against the premier programs.

You'd think that there'd be some excitement surrounding the team. Nope. The look on the players faces says it all. Sanders comes in and tells the players that they don't matter and they should consider leaving. Real dickhead move.
I think there was a little bit of context (possibly purposefully) missing. I believe, from reading the quotes, what he actually said is that if the players aren't ready for change, THEN .... leave for the portal now.

Still a poor way to present it.

"In college football, you either get elevated or terminated". Would be surprised if he stays in Colorado for five years plus. With USC, UCLA, and possibly others leaving, his chances look good in Pac12. I think he will jump to the SEC or B10 before the end of the decade. Love coach prime, more power to him.

I’m not sold that he’s a power5 coach.. He better has the great position coaches around him or he’ll fizzle out fast.

Prime’s talk to the players was just an updated version of there is a new sheriff in town.
If you wanna stay you are going to work harder than you ever have. Losing is not acceptable.
He told the players how it’s going to be. You in or out? That’s all it was.

What if the entire team banded together and entered the portal because of what Prime said to them? Could he pull in an entire new team?

I'm seeing a lot of rumors and speculation that Mike Zimmer is - at least - under consideration for DC at Colorado. Zimmer coached Deion for several years with the Cowboys, and last year, after leaving the Vikings, Zimmer served as an analyst for Deion's Jackson State team.

just trying to sit here and imagine the coaches' meetings with Deion, Brew and Zim in the same room.............if there was a College version of "Hard Knocks," this could be the highest-rated program of all time.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned is that he has had some weird health issues, where he had to have toes amputated?? In the video, he is walking around with a noticeable limp.

Hope he returns to full health. But also wonder if he was thinking that he needs to take what he can get while he can still walk?? Hope it's not that bad.

Frost had more talent at UCF than the rest of the American, but he his top end players at UCF weren't Sanders's top end players at Jackson State. If Frost brought his best recruits to Nebraska he would have failed, whereas Sanders's has shown the ability to not just outrecruit his conference he's won battles against the premier programs.
Yep, we were arguing different things. I was saying his recruiting can hide whether or not he can actually coach. You are arguing that his recruiting prowess can being success. Not sure how it got to this point, but I think that's the difference.

Top Bottom