Deion Sanders Replaces Mike Sanford as Head Coach at Colorado | Tim Brewster Likely Lead Assistant

He mentioned in his video he will be running people out. (on there own I assume) I wonder if this also makes CO more valuable when the next round of realignment occurs.
It would seem that he can't force a scholarship player out without cause? No? I hope every player on scholarship holds tight.

So your premise, is that he went to FLA Atlantic because all of his high D1 offers got pulled (if no, then clearly state your supposition in one sentence).
Yes that is what I'm saying. Some of those high offers were from the summer after 8th grade.

The only offers he got after his junior season in HS was Memphis, UCF, FL Atlantic, Marshall, Louisiana, Cornell, Utah St and Jackson St.

It would seem that he can't force a scholarship player out without cause? No? I hope every player on scholarship holds tight.
I hope all quarterbacks leave, and no quarterbacks come in...Well, except for that one.

Yes that is what I'm saying. Some of those high offers were from the summer after 8th grade.

The only offers he got after his junior season in HS was Memphis, UCF, FL Atlantic, Marshall, Louisiana, Cornell, Utah St and Jackson St.
Sanders will likely become bored with the task once his kids are done and drift off into something easier.

But Sanders also emphasized that in a college football landscape now defined by Name, Image and Likeness, those commitments are going to come at a price for university boosters. To this point, CU’s been behind in leveraging NIL deals to help attract top recruits and transfers.

“The kids, they want exposure, they want to be on television, they want the (big) lights and action — we’re going to give them that,” Sanders said. “We’re going to give them the followers, we’re going to give them the attention, we’re going to give them the love and the support.

“And we need each and every one of (the CU donor base). Because the caliber of players that we’re getting ready to bring to you, they’re going to want something.”

Yikes. Good luck, CU.

But Sanders also emphasized that in a college football landscape now defined by Name, Image and Likeness, those commitments are going to come at a price for university boosters. To this point, CU’s been behind in leveraging NIL deals to help attract top recruits and transfers.

“The kids, they want exposure, they want to be on television, they want the (big) lights and action — we’re going to give them that,” Sanders said. “We’re going to give them the followers, we’re going to give them the attention, we’re going to give them the love and the support.

“And we need each and every one of (the CU donor base). Because the caliber of players that we’re getting ready to bring to you, they’re going to want something.”

Yikes. Good luck, CU.
That could be setting up a disaster. Promise something and then possibly can't deliver?

Facilities Tour with Deion
Facilities don't look like they should keep anyone from winning.
The football facility (located in corner of the stadium) and connected IPF, are very nice and new as of the 2015 season.

I don't think they're quite as nice as the Athlete's Village facilities, but definitely comparable.

The IPF in particular is not as nice because they had to make it dual purpose with an indoor track. That cuts down on the room that could be used for a football field, with the infield being able to have less than a full field.

He's going to try to bring up a bunch of kids from the deep south. He's from Fort Meyers, I'm sure he'll target Florida along with all the SWAC country. I don't know if he grew up poor or not, but regardless he knows how to talk to those kids and their families.

Going to try to buy them, give them $$$ to sign with Colorado. Bootstrap from nothing into an Alabama.

Will be an interesting experiment to see if it works out.

If I was forced to guess ... I think he's going to be disappointed when kids come on the trips, like everything, but then won't sign for CU. It's still a long way from home, for a less than guaranteed thing.

It's either going to happen and work, very quickly, or it's not going to be able to generate the self-sustaining mass rolling down the hill that it needs, and will fizzle out.

If they can bring in 15+ really high level players quickly, on the backs of rich donors coming out of the woodwork to get these kids some serious money .... maybe it will happen.

But if CU had those kinds of donors ... where have they been? One of two FBS programs with no NIL collective?

I don't think the money will be there.

as the above-linked article says, Deion already has a commitment from a 5* recruit.

I also saw a tweet claiming that "a source at Colorado" told a beat reporter that 200 recruits and transfers had reached out in a 12-hour period after Deion was announced as the new CU HC.

and with Deion openly begging for boosters to cough up the $$ for NIL, this could be one crazy month coming up.

When you're in a talent acquisition business out talenting people is the name of the game. Saban doesn't win because he's some X's O's guru. He's got the best players year in and year out.

If Sanders can keep convincing talent to come that is a great strategy.
I think you missed my point. It was easy for Coach Prime to out-recruit when compared to other SWAC schools, just like it was easy for Frost to out-recruit the other schools when he was at UCF. Frost was not able to out-recruit the B1G, and even if you say the rankings showed he out-recruited the West, his recruiting wins weren't enough to simply give him the success he had at UCF. So I'm just saying that it's going to be a lot harder to out-recruit USC, Oregon, etc in the PAC12 than it is to out-recruit in the SWAC.

As for Saban, he wins both ways. He definitely is more than just a recruiter, he's a defensive guy and knows the X's and O's.

As for your last sentence, obviously I don't disagree. It's a great strategy. Will it work in the Pac12, or will other teams recruit at similar levels?

He's going to try to bring up a bunch of kids from the deep south. He's from Fort Meyers, I'm sure he'll target Florida along with all the SWAC country. I don't know if he grew up poor or not, but regardless he knows how to talk to those kids and their families.

Going to try to buy them, give them $$$ to sign with Colorado. Bootstrap from nothing into an Alabama.

Will be an interesting experiment to see if it works out.

If I was forced to guess ... I think he's going to be disappointed when kids come on the trips, like everything, but then won't sign for CU. It's still a long way from home, for a less than guaranteed thing.

It's either going to happen and work, very quickly, or it's not going to be able to generate the self-sustaining mass rolling down the hill that it needs, and will fizzle out.

If they can bring in 15+ really high level players quickly, on the backs of rich donors coming out of the woodwork to get these kids some serious money .... maybe it will happen.

But if CU had those kinds of donors ... where have they been? One of two FBS programs with no NIL collective?

I don't think the money will be there.

I’d guess the players parents or grandparents are more excited about Neon than the high school kids. He’s a former player without much of track record. Really wierd place to land IMO. Probably harder to recruit there than out east. He does bring entertainment though which is what we’re (well, most of us) really here for. Crash and burn - or success, either way it will be interesting.

Yikes. Good luck, CU.
+1, I don’t understand this. Is the theory that all these Colorado boosters have been just sitting around and are suddenly ready to start writing checks for dozens of 4-5 star athletes?

Maybe it’s all mostly for show to get the athletes to consider Colorado, and he can get a few to sign on the dotted line.

I think you missed my point. It was easy for Coach Prime to out-recruit when compared to other SWAC schools, just like it was easy for Frost to out-recruit the other schools when he was at UCF. Frost was not able to out-recruit the B1G, and even if you say the rankings showed he out-recruited the West, his recruiting wins weren't enough to simply give him the success he had at UCF. So I'm just saying that it's going to be a lot harder to out-recruit USC, Oregon, etc in the PAC12 than it is to out-recruit in the SWAC.

As for Saban, he wins both ways. He definitely is more than just a recruiter, he's a defensive guy and knows the X's and O's.

As for your last sentence, obviously I don't disagree. It's a great strategy. Will it work in the Pac12, or will other teams recruit at similar levels?
If Sanders's was just recruiting marginally better than the SWAC teams you'd have a point. But he went out and got the number one player in the nation in Travis Hunter last year and Kevin Coleman who was a take for the best schools in the country.

Deion has some similarities to PJ and one major one is that they are going to do things their way and they're not for everyone. Minnesota is allowing PJ to do things his way, and Colorado is doing the same thing with Deion. I think that limits both from eventually taking higher profile jobs who want more control over the HC.

Deion will do a lot of good things, especially on the recruiting trail, but if they struggle on the field he will have his detractors who can't wait to tell him that he doesn't know what he's doing at this level. It will be fascinating to see how it plays out.
Deion’s lack of coaching experience will be his downfall.

So, I'm just saying that it's going to be a lot harder to out-recruit USC, Oregon, etc in the PAC12 than it is to out-recruit in the SWAC.
If Sanders's was just recruiting marginally better than the SWAC teams you'd have a point. But he went out and got the number one player in the nation in Travis Hunter last year and Kevin Coleman who was a take for the best schools in the country.
Between the 2021 and 2022 recruiting cycles, Deion had really high success especially considering he was recruiting for an FCS program.

Between incoming recruits and transfer ratings, Deion accumulated:
2021: 9 4-stars (he had 5 high school recruits listed as 4-stars, one more than we had that year)
2022: 1 5-star and 2 4-stars
-- In 2022, Deion got a commitment from who many considered the best high school prospect in the class.

I know stars aren't the only metric that determines success at the college level, but at least in terms of recruiting pedigree I have no doubt Deion will quickly be turning in classes ranked in the top 20 or higher. I mean, he's already gotten his first 5-star commit to Colorado in a single day, which we've never once had.

+1, I don’t understand this. Is the theory that all these Colorado boosters have been just sitting around and are suddenly ready to start writing checks for dozens of 4-5 star athletes?

Maybe it’s all mostly for show to get the athletes to consider Colorado, and he can get a few to sign on the dotted line.
Most likely what you said, but I all but guarantee you if our Gophers would have been able to secure a top notch experienced basketball coach NIL money would have been there. If he starts bringing in top recruits and ups the wins, I wouldn't be totally surprised to see money coming in.

I understand what you're saying. But Deion Sanders?...sticking around Colorado? Do the lights shine bright enough for him in that high altitude.
Stars do shine brighter at altitude. 🌟

Last edited:

Is it just the dead period? Or is there extra dislike for coach Sanders?

I get that 'we' Minnesotans like a modest guy who keeps his head down and works hard, but we rarely play Colorado. I am not sure we even had this level of angst over coach Bielema.

Between the 2021 and 2022 recruiting cycles, Deion had really high success especially considering he was recruiting for an FCS program.

Between incoming recruits and transfer ratings, Deion accumulated:
2021: 9 4-stars (he had 5 high school recruits listed as 4-stars, one more than we had that year)
2022: 1 5-star and 2 4-stars
-- In 2022, Deion got a commitment from who many considered the best high school prospect in the class.

I know stars aren't the only metric that determines success at the college level, but at least in terms of recruiting pedigree I have no doubt Deion will quickly be turning in classes ranked in the top 20 or higher. I mean, he's already gotten his first 5-star commit to Colorado in a single day, which we've never once had.
Both him and coach Brewster know how to relate to many young guys.

Bill McCartney to this. You couldn't do a bigger 180.

I wonder how the NCAA will rule with Colorado’s law which allows recreation weed? really can’t make them ineligible if State law approves. Can’t believe that Deion is against it.

If Sanders's was just recruiting marginally better than the SWAC teams you'd have a point.
I think the opposite actually. If Sanders' recruiting was just marginally better than the other SWAC teams, that would imply his coaching is what lead them to a great, undefeated season. But when he gets the recruits you mentioned, like Hunter last year, wouldn't that blur the lines between whether it's talent or coaching?

This is my logic:

IF you're roster is on par with the rest of conference, and you go undefeated, it's probably coaching.

IF you're roster is noticeably better than the rest of the conference, then it could be coaching, OR it could just be out-talenting the other team.

You see a flaw in that?

Top Bottom