Deion Sanders Replaces Mike Sanford as Head Coach at Colorado | Tim Brewster Likely Lead Assistant

I don't think there's a problem with honesty. I'm just not sure that would be how I'd do my first meeting. While he thinks he's going to bring in a bunch of better players, he's still going to need a bunch of those guys as well. He can't bring in 85 new scholarship players in one year.
This video basically confirms that the initial speech was an unpolished version of many coaches introductory or start of season speech.

I don't know how long he lasts in Boulder but there is no way this isn't good for the program even if it is only 3-5 years.

He isn't going to Florida State unless he wins and having some winning football would have to feel good to Colorado fans. For those of us in the stands when we lost to South Dakota, if someone had said "would you take 5 years of exciting recruiting and better football but you only have a 10% chance of keeping the coach?", i'd have taken it in a heart beat.

It'll be fun.

I don't know how long he lasts in Boulder but there is no way this isn't good for the program even if it is only 3-5 years.

He isn't going to Florida State unless he wins and having some winning football would have to feel good to Colorado fans. For those of us in the stands when we lost to South Dakota, if someone had said "would you take 5 years of exciting recruiting and better football but you only have a 10% chance of keeping the coach?", i'd have taken it in a heart beat.

It'll be fun.

Deon will last as long as he has family in the program. He's a rent-a-coach. Deon is 55 years old, wealthy, and about to become even more wealthy. I'm guessing this is his last big gig.

Deon will last as long as he has family in the program. He's a rent-a-coach. Deon is 55 years old, wealthy, and about to become even more wealthy. I'm guessing this is his last big gig.
But coaching football keeps him relevant.

I don't think he's done when his sons graduate, but I guess we'll see.

Disagree I could see him going to FSU eventually

It'll be fun.
Agreed and I think for me that's why I don't complain about the six year of Kill/Claeys. We were generally competitive, we had multiple winning conference records and we played in a legit New Year's Day Bowl. Far cry from that Saturday morning in 2010

Agreed and I think for me that's why I don't complain about the six year of Kill/Claeys. We were generally competitive, we had multiple winning conference records and we played in a legit New Year's Day Bowl. Far cry from that Saturday morning in 2010
Kill/Claeys years were incredibly important for the program. I prefer Fleck and Jerry has annoyed me lately but the ole ball coach did pull us out of the gutter.

But coaching football keeps him relevant.

I don't think he's done when his sons graduate, but I guess we'll see.

The "relevant" piece is a wild card and will be what keeps him going if he so chooses. He seemingly popped up out of nowhere to coach Jackson State.

That tweet sounds completely made up.
From what I could gather, it was saying that allocations of some funding was potentially misappropriated. I have a friend that recruits HBCU's for a Fortune 500 company. I'd have to ask him again. The problem/ issue was/ is that funds "allocated for football went to other parts of some of the schools. Not stolen from what little i have heard, just misapplied.

Tennessee State has a different issue? The state of Tennessee owes them like 640 million, but is going after them because they are short on on campus housing due to increased enrollment. Part of the reason they are are short on housing is funding.

Regarding Coach Sanders, I've heard that he did donate for locker rooms, etc.

Four-Star RB Dylan Edwards from Wichita, KS has decided to switch to Colorado after previously committing to Notre Dame and before that Kansas State.

I think I agree with those that think that there is a little more to it. He is extremely competitive. Competition may be what fuels him. Even if from the sideline.

I think it will be fine for about two weeks. Deon is in for a tough go.
I agree -- it really reminds me of when Lou Holtz came here, very similar situations but the Gopher situation was even worse off than the Colorado situation. (Just look at the scores from the year before the new coach took over!)

I think it will be a similar result too -- I see Colorado winning 4 games the first year, 6 the next and then Sanders leaves for greener pastures after that to a bigtime school. For anyone that wasn't around when Holtz took over this team -- this wave of hope and promise from the depths of despair was very similar to what Colorado has right now.

I agree -- it really reminds me of when Lou Holtz came here, very similar situations but the Gopher situation was even worse off than the Colorado situation. (Just look at the scores from the year before the new coach took over!)

I think it will be a similar result too -- I see Colorado winning 4 games the first year, 6 the next and then Sanders leaves for greener pastures after that to a bigtime school. For anyone that wasn't around when Holtz took over this team -- this wave of hope and promise from the depths of despair was very similar to what Colorado has right now.
I was at the spring game in year 2 if the Holtz tenure, when they was 40,000 at the Dome.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this speech.

I don't either. The speech was pretty old school so it may have shocked some dainty daffodils, but dainty daffodils won't help re-build a terrible program. It's a speech that anyone that has played athletics and had a new coach, been in the military, or worked a demanding job experiencing leadership change, has probably heard before.

Not to be argumentative, but aren't all coaches at this level "rich" or at least well off?

Not to be argumentative, but aren't all coaches at this level "rich" or at least well off?

The list of long-term successful top-level coaches that were mega-superstar professional players is extremely short or non-existent. About as common as finding a Leprechaun. Maybe Deon is a Leprechaun.

The list of long-term successful top-level coaches that were mega-superstar professional players is extremely short or non-existent. About as common as finding a Leprechaun. Maybe Deon is a Leprechaun.
I get your point, and it's true. Jordan and Isiah Thomas for example weren't great coaches.

My point about wealth is all of the coaches Sanders will compete against could most likely buy a house in his neighborhood.

I get your point, and it's true. Jordan and Isiah Thomas for example weren't great coaches.

My point about wealth is all of the coaches Sanders will compete against could most likely buy a house in his neighborhood.

True. Wealth is just a factor (though Deon has been wealthy for 30 years unlike most new coaches). The pampered lifestyle of a post-career superstar probably plays a role as does being accustomed to adoring fans (unlike most head coaches) and that the superstar coach often has trouble relating to to inferior players, which is just about every player.

In the long term, maybe Deon envisions himself as being the next Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, or Bear Bryant; all legendary coaches that eventually turned into high level CEO types that delegated the details to talented staff. I just don't see Deon grinding as the main guy for more than a handful of years. Regardless, it will be fun following the journey.

In the long term, maybe Deon envisions himself as being the next Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, or Bear Bryant; all legendary coaches that eventually turned into high level CEO types that delegated the details to talented staff. I just don't see Deon grinding as the main guy for more than a handful of years. Regardless, it will be fun following the journey.
Just like Coach Brewster aspired to be and coach Fleck is working toward being a hybrid version of.

Just like Coach Brewster aspired to be and coach Fleck is working toward being a hybrid version of.

I don't see Fleck as that type at all right now. Maybe in the sense that he's never been a coordinator, but I get feeling that he's heavily involved in every aspect of the team and especially organizing, day to day management, personnel/player involvement, communications, and definitely heavy recruiting. The older CEO types I listed above might have shaded the front steps of a few big time recruits, but probably weren't working around the clock.

Coach Prime is all about Coach Prime, and I don't see this going well at all. CP is all about keeping himself in the spotlight, so more endorsement deals keep rolling in. He will soon find out that major college football is more work than he wants to put in to achieve on-field success. Plus, when the wins don't come, the media will turn and ignore him.

He would have been much better off in the long-run being the famous coach at a HBCU. Deion hiring at JSU brought some long-overdue attention to the HCBU's, and he could have built a revival.

Coach Prime is all about Coach Prime, and I don't see this going well at all. CP is all about keeping himself in the spotlight, so more endorsement deals keep rolling in. He will soon find out that major college football is more work than he wants to put in to achieve on-field success. Plus, when the wins don't come, the media will turn and ignore him.

He would have been much better off in the long-run being the famous coach at a HBCU. Deion hiring at JSU brought some long-overdue attention to the HCBU's, and he could have built a revival.

I tend to agree. Regarding the bolded, he probably upset some people looking for an HBCU revival, but I'm not going to criticize anyone for wanting to compete against the best at a higher level. Deon left a template for what can be done at an HBCU.

Top Bottom