Charlie Daniels Committed

Can I ask why you would take a p5 bench player over a mid/low major star?

Can I ask what you're definition of star is because we didn't come close to landing one. And yes give me a guy like Bryce Thompson over any of the guards we got.

Can I ask what you're definition of star is because we didn't come close to landing one. And yes give me a guy like Bryce Thompson over any of the guards we got.
Meant leading scorer and Bryce Thompson is a five star prospect.

Meant leading scorer and Bryce Thompson is a five star prospect.

Well that's what I'd take. A highly rated prospect that didn't play much over what we got. Expecting low major guys to be your 2nd/3rd best player, is setting up for failure.

Well that's what I'd take. A highly rated prospect that didn't play much over what we got. Expecting low major guys to be your 2nd/3rd best player, is setting up for failure.
Sure I don't think any 5 star prospect was coming here. My point was just because you are on a p5 roster doesn't mean anything.

Sure I don't think any 5 star prospect was coming here. My point was just because you are on a p5 roster doesn't mean anything.

Sure, but not being able to land at least ONE, with 10 scholarship players or whatever it was, is an awful sign. Hell, even a guy like Mashburn, I'd take over the guards we got, and guys of similar stature.

Yes, he's a body, one that couldn't even start on a mid major team. We literally had unlimited playing time to offer, and we couldn't land ONE single player from another P5 school.

Maybe Coyle should have hired Coach Gophers7633. Seems like Coach Gophers7633 could have been pulling in recruits left and right in the span of a few months.....with the promise of playing time. Why didn't Johnson think of playing time as a selling point!?

Maybe Coyle should have hired Coach Gophers7633. Seems like Coach Gophers7633 could have been pulling in recruits left and right in the span of a few months.....with the promise of playing time. Why didn't Johnson think of playing time as a selling point!?

Lol. I'm sure the roster I could have put together could go winless in the B1G like we probably will. In all seriousness though, Johnson walked into a shitty situation so I get it. But he also hasn't done anything to dispell the notion about why this was such a questionable hire to begin with.

Lol. I'm sure the roster I could have put together could go winless in the B1G like we probably will. In all seriousness though, Johnson walked into a shitty situation so I get it. But he also hasn't done anything to dispell the notion about why this was such a questionable hire to begin with.

He walked into a situation unseen in the NCAA. Free transfers for everybody. Any prior year....he doesn't lose the entire roster. So continuing to push this "questionable hire" narrative.....using the past few months as evidence.....is foolish.

None of you know how he'll fare as a head coach. But keep acting like you are all basketball experts.

He walked into a situation unseen in the NCAA. Free transfers for everybody. Any prior year....he doesn't lose the entire roster. So continuing to push this "questionable hire" narrative.....using the past few months as evidence.....is foolish.

None of you know how he'll fare as a head coach. But keep acting like you are all basketball experts.

It was a questionable hire, I thought that from day 1. He hasn't done anything yet to dispell the notion of that. We were sold he was a good recruiter, it's only been 4 months, but the early returns aren't too promising.

No, I don't know how it'll fare, but if I had to guess, it's probably not going to end well.

My opinion only, Johnson entered as coach in a great potential recruiting year, and I'm not pointing out having the top player in the country instate {Holmgren} undecided at the time of Johnson being hired ...In 2019 the basketball portal had 900 players transferring out of their previous college, in 2021 the number nearly doubled that number...The portal was stuffed liked no other year with quality players at all positions, with many signing even with low profile college programs far from the media exposure of the Big Ten. Our roster today is filled with questionable players, ,some even bench backups at minor colleges, today we added a division-2 player and if you assume he was their best player, well, you will be wrong , a little better than average roll player on his previous Div-2 team...period....Lets hope the Gophers staff can improve 2022 on convincing quality 3 & 4 star recruits Minnesota playing in the Big Ten is a worthy home to showcase their talent......

This may sound like setting the bar low - and it is - but

Daniels at the very least is a bigger body. On a team that is definitely lacking size.

If he can just go out there for 10 minutes a game and stand in the middle of the lane, at least that's 10 minutes that the Gophers don't have to throw a smaller player in the post.

at this point, I'll take it.

At the risk of drawing laughter and derision, I will offer this:

just maybe, some of these transfers from mid-major schools may improve with better coaching, and access to better strength and conditioning programs.

It was a questionable hire, I thought that from day 1. He hasn't done anything yet to dispell the notion of that. We were sold he was a good recruiter, it's only been 4 months, but the early returns aren't too promising.

No, I don't know how it'll fare, but if I had to guess, it's probably not going to end well.
He hasnt done anything to think he'll be a great coach, but he hasnt done anything either to believe he wont. Cant expect recruiting will go well early on. He just took over.

He hasnt done anything to think he'll be a great coach, but he hasnt done anything either to believe he wont. Cant expect recruiting will go well early on. He just took over.

I'd say the roster that is currently assembled, has me questioning whether he'll be a good coach.

Yeah....we have a bunch of great basketball minds on this board who think it was a questionable hire. I'm shocked that Johnson didn't win a NC in the four months since he's been here.

Yeah....we have a bunch of great basketball minds on this board who think it was a questionable hire. I'm shocked that Johnson didn't win a NC in the four months since he's been here.

I get wanting to be optimistic, but when it's a questionable hire to begin with, and haven't done anything of note in your first off-season, it makes it look that much worse. Maybe he'll surprise me and land a good 2022 class and some better transfers for next year.

Ben is a down to the studs and floorboards choice and the issue is when Pitino was let go zero fans had that expectation. Everything is a tough sell right now as this program is starting from square 1 and I don't think anyone understands why. It would behoove Coyle to explain just how awful he viewed the state of the program and why it needed to be torn down.

Last edited:

It's fair to rate this hire as questionable. Degrading those who share that opinion does nothing to convince them otherwise. Maybe share something you think points to success? When you are right you can say I told you so. 360 win.

It's fair to rate this hire as questionable. Degrading those who share that opinion does nothing to convince them otherwise. Maybe share something you think points to success? When you are right you can say I told you so. 360 win.

It's fine to disagree with the hire. But this season was doomed to be tough from the very start. Still.....the same clowns show up day after day to whine about how the sky is falling. While Fleck had the silly "Year zero" thing.....Johnson truly has a "year zero". Had to build a full roster in the span of a few months and little to sell.

Fleck was out front the moment he was named HC at Mn. He was everywhere any one had a microphone or a camera explaining his past and future for mn football. Baby Ben has been ummmmm

I only hope the best for Johnson & the gophers, but it is a concern Minnesota, a team in the Big Ten can not recruit on a even level with mid-pack teams in their league or even several smaller colleges with minor media exposure...Johnson , like several new coaches who were hired in March, with several 2021 high school recruits still undecided and then include a transfer portal filled like no other year with considered 3&4 star rated players, on paper, checking new coaches at a major college, Minnesota recruiting would finish easily near the bottom...In 2022 about 50% of the higher rated high school players have already committed verbally to a college team, again Minnesota seems to be a dice throw convincing even the above average instate player to choose the Gophers, although I'm hopeful for 2022 we secure valued recruiting targets and not rely on desperation roster fills.....

I only hope the best for Johnson & the gophers, but it is a concern Minnesota, a team in the Big Ten can not recruit on a even level with mid-pack teams in their league or even several smaller colleges with minor media exposure...Johnson , like several new coaches who were hired in March, with several 2021 high school recruits still undecided and then include a transfer portal filled like no other year with considered 3&4 star rated players, on paper, checking new coaches at a major college, Minnesota recruiting would finish easily near the bottom...In 2022 about 50% of the higher rated high school players have already committed verbally to a college team, again Minnesota seems to be a dice throw convincing even the above average instate player to choose the Gophers, although I'm hopeful for 2022 we secure valued recruiting targets and not rely on desperation roster fills.....
I count 17 of the top 50, 35 of the top 100. I looked at 247 top 100 recruits. So it's closer to 1/3 than 50%.

Edit: Of those 35 that have committed, 24 schools are represented. There are 76 Power 6 schools (if I added correctly), so about 1/3 of all Power 6 schools have landed a top 100 recruit.

Last edited:

I count 17 of the top 50, 35 of the top 100. I looked at 247 top 100 recruits. So it's closer to 1/3 than 50%.

Edit: Of those 35 that have committed, 24 schools are represented. There are 76 Power 6 schools (if I added correctly), so about 1/3 of all Power 6 schools have landed a top 100 recruit.

I looked a couple days ago and i was a little less than 1/3 of ESPN’s too 100 players who have committed too.

I’m just curious....who were the early recruits that we had committed by the middle of July before their senior seasons in the past? I always thought it seemed like most committed in October through December with some even announcing in the spring. I thought Macura committed in late August or early September to Xavier and that was considered early.

I'm happy Charlie is coming here but your argument to discredit critics is asinine. One doesn't have to be a mechanic to know that a car is defective. One doesn't have to be a director to know that a movie stinks. One doesn't have to be chef to know that a meal tastes bad.
I stand corrected. You dont need to have made a basket in the last 40 years to be a frustrated weird old dude that talks nonsense.

Well done, sir!

It's fine to disagree with the hire. But this season was doomed to be tough from the very start. Still.....the same clowns show up day after day to whine about how the sky is falling. While Fleck had the silly "Year zero" thing.....Johnson truly has a "year zero". Had to build a full roster in the span of a few months and little to sell.
I would argue the “little to sell” comment. Starting minutes on a B1G team that isn’t Northwestern or Penn State (historically bad programs often with little fan interest) isn’t “nothing”. Maybe it isn’t as important as it used to be, with many lesser conferences being broadcast on TV, but if you’re a star at a lower program or a decent bench guy on a P6 team, 20+ minutes on a B1G team sounds pretty intriguing. Add in the sheer number of available transfers, and I think it’s absolutely valid to question the job being done assembling this years roster.

If he was willing to throw this season away to focus on landing 2022 guys, I am 100% fine with that. They weren’t competing for a title in 2021 no matter the roster he was able to assemble anyway. But with very little communication on where he’s steering the bus, it’s hard to know what’s going on, so we can only comment on what we’ve seen so far. You can rag on Fleck’s year zero bit, but he did set expectations (possibly for his own benefit to give himself more leash, admittedly) and laid out a road map so we knew what to expect. From the outside, seeing an entire roster leave a program isn’t a good sign.

There's a huge difference between Fleck's offseason and Johnson's offseason. Fleck had to re-recruit good players to stay on the team, Winfield, Durr, etc and get them to buy in. Plus within the first few days he quickly brought over the players he wanted that were committed to Western Michigan - Morgan, Autman-Bell, Schmitz and added Ibrahim. And that was after a very public scandal, where people would have understood a roster overhaul.

Johnson couldn't keep anyone except for Ihnen, who was 10th on a 13th place team in scoring and now he's done for the season. He's brought in mostly older, low level transfers, and has already missed on two highly rated instate recruits.

No one knows what this team is going to look like this season, but it looks very bleak at the moment. The roster also didn't need to be completely dismantled. The ability to field a competitive team next season was there, the transfer portal works both ways.

Well done, sir!
To clarify the stat, I based it on the top 100-players ranked by 247 sports minus the top 25-five star talent likely with no chance or interest playing for the Gophers...The remaining 75 ranked are considered 4-star talent which case Minnesota would have a more probable attempt to recruit.. As of today 30 of the 75 have committed to teams, which is almost 43% , yes, not 50% but close....

There's a huge difference between Fleck's offseason and Johnson's offseason. Fleck had to re-recruit good players to stay on the team, Winfield, Durr, etc and get them to buy in. Plus within the first few days he quickly brought over the players he wanted that were committed to Western Michigan - Morgan, Autman-Bell, Schmitz and added Ibrahim. And that was after a very public scandal, where people would have understood a roster overhaul.

Johnson couldn't keep anyone except for Ihnen, who was 10th on a 13th place team in scoring and now he's done for the season. He's brought in mostly older, low level transfers, and has already missed on two highly rated instate recruits.

No one knows what this team is going to look like this season, but it looks very bleak at the moment. The roster also didn't need to be completely dismantled. The ability to field a competitive team next season was there, the transfer portal works both ways.
This is a great post, except for a bolded.

I give him a pass on those two, because nobody (including if Pitino had stayed) would've landed either of those two to the Gophers.

They already had made up their minds, hence why they've committed so early, compared to the rest of the 22 class.

I do think it is fair game to criticize him for missing the rest of the class.

I would argue the “little to sell” comment. Starting minutes on a B1G team that isn’t Northwestern or Penn State (historically bad programs often with little fan interest) isn’t “nothing”. Maybe it isn’t as important as it used to be, with many lesser conferences being broadcast on TV, but if you’re a star at a lower program or a decent bench guy on a P6 team, 20+ minutes on a B1G team sounds pretty intriguing. Add in the sheer number of available transfers, and I think it’s absolutely valid to question the job being done assembling this years roster.

If he was willing to throw this season away to focus on landing 2022 guys, I am 100% fine with that. They weren’t competing for a title in 2021 no matter the roster he was able to assemble anyway. But with very little communication on where he’s steering the bus, it’s hard to know what’s going on, so we can only comment on what we’ve seen so far. You can rag on Fleck’s year zero bit, but he did set expectations (possibly for his own benefit to give himself more leash, admittedly) and laid out a road map so we knew what to expect. From the outside, seeing an entire roster leave a program isn’t a good sign.

Maybe so. But he went and grabbed a bunch of productive players at lower tier programs. Say what you want about them....but lower tier programs can make noise. We see it every year. Grabbing one of the best players from these teams might not have been a terrible strategy.

As for "where he's steering the bus".....he doesn't owe you a roadmap. He's going to have to create a gameplan for the team he puts on the court.

I'd argue that football and basketball are two different beasts. Not to mention that Fleck fell into a much better situation. Johnson had to deal with an already failing program where the team lost most of their second half games.....and had to deal with a new NCAA rule allowing free transfers. You think that Fleck would have kept as many players as he did if the NCAA allowed free transfers that year? Get real. Johnson would have retained much of the roster if that didn't exist. Hell.....Carr maybe would have been playing for this team next year as well.

Top Bottom