Charlie Daniels Committed

Another waste of a recruit! He has not gotten anything that is even close to the talent of players we had last year.

So why didn’t you tag this comment to the “we will win more than 6 games” post, it applies there as well.

I was responding to somebody making a finger in the air prediction of winning more than 6 games. Then I get people saying I don't have details to make my assessment, but say nothing to the original poster. I know the reason is because people want it to be true, so they apply no criteria to that comment, but when somebody says something that doesn't align with what they want to be true they attack it and say you have to have more info. Silly. Confirmation bias.

So in the context of making a finger in the air assessment, you really don't need to know who exactly will be on the final roster. We have a pretty good idea that any additions will be right around the type of players that have already been gotten, and the longer things go probably worse. So we have a pretty good idea of the talent level that we will have. We also know that none of our players have ever played together before. We also know that none of the players have played in BJ's system. We also know that BJ has not been a game HC. We also know we will not have a full roster, as BJ has already said.

In regards to opponents looking different, yes of course, but the B1G is still going to be one of the best conferences. Some teams will be better and some will be worse, so just doing a finger in the air assessment comparing to last year is fine. Maybe BJ will schedule 6 games against the little sisters of the poor and thus will get 6 wins, but for this exercise I thought why not just compare it to the level we faced last year and see. If your whole premise for saying we will get more than 6 wins is because we will tour the MIAC, well congrats you win, but I consider that an embarrassment. Last year's NC schedule wasn't murder's row by any means, but it wasn't completely terrible. So yeah I had to make some high level assumptions, but what else can you do at this point when we don't have a schedule and all teams' rosters are in flux, that's why I didn't light up the original post with the points you made.
Just don’t at this point. Who cares right now. Let it play out.

Just took 2 minutes out of my day to do some research on this guy, and easily figured out that he was SFA’s leader in shot blocks last year. Not one person on this board has mentioned that. This is not ground breaking but it still is a solid pickup considering we literally don’t have a center right now. He was also a juco guy, he has successfully moved his way up the ranks from juco to big ten, one word GRINDER. You are entitled to your own opinion but I do actually like this pickup.
Please tell us you are being sarcastic.

An honest and fair review:

Pay: First year pay of some of the Big10 coaches along with experience that would have helped determine that pay (see grid). Ben is being paid reasonably well, relatively speaking.

Recruiting: We are not in a position to be throwing away scholarships. That is silly talk. The problem fans have is the team is not looking especially strong on paper right now. Combined with a coach who has no prior head coaching experience and it is tough and perhaps silly to spin positives.

With that stated, it is very possible to have a gritty team (one that consistently outworks the opponent) that plays together and gets it done by making it tough for the other team to score and that plays smart offensively (getting the ball to the open player, playing within one's ability, proper spacing, good off ball movement, etc...) to be very successful. Will that happen? How could anyone know?

Winning: You don't necessarily need the best players to win, you need the best team to win; sometimes those are synonymous and sometimes they are not. There are some pretty good mid major teams that lack star power.

Expectations: Winners typically have high expectations. Fans like winning, so expectations are typically high. Low expectations = low and disinterested fan base. Low and disinterested fan base = trouble. The preceding = common sense.

Reality: I think Coyle did Ben Johnson a disservice by not better selling him to the fan base. He was hired over some proven winners which means Coyle has some really good reasons to sell him as a head coach that should have been articulated for momentum's sake.

This program has not been great for a while and now the future is clearly uncertain which makes it difficult for fans.

If anything above is unair, let it be stricken from the records.

Coach, SchoolStarting SalaryHC Exp At HireOther Notables
Greg Gard, Wisconsin
$638,000​
Coach or Assistant coach for 25 years prior to hire, WI Assoc HC for 7 yrs
Richard Pitino, Minnesota
$1,200,000​
1Son of Rick Pitino, FIU HC 1 yr, Asst coach for 8 yrs including Florida & Louisville
Juwan Howard, Michigan
$2,000,000​
2× NBA champion, NBA All-Star, All-NBA Third Team, NBA All-Rookie Second Team, Second-team All-American, Third-team All-American, Miami Heat Assistant coach 6 years
Steve Pikiell, Rutgers
$1,400,000​
11College Asst Coach for 15 yrs, Stony Brook HC 11 yrs
Ben Johnson
$2,000,000​
College Asst coach for 15 yrs including MN, Nebraska, & Xavier
Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska
$2,500,000​
510 yr NBA player, 115-56 W/L rate as IA ST HC -- Hired at IA St for $850,000 per year
Fran McCaffery, Iowa
$800,000​
14MAAC Coach of the Year (2009), Asst coach for 12 years
Matt Painter, Purdue
$1,290,000​
1Asst Coach 11 years, As HC MVC Coach of the Year w 25-5 record one time AP top 15
Chris Collins, Northwestern
$1,340,000​
15 years Asst Coach -- 13 yrs at Duke
Brad Underwood, Illinois
$2,700,000​
87 years Asst Coach, 4 yr CC HC, Southland Coach of the Year, 1 yr at OK St: 20–13 & NCAA appearance
Archie Miller, Indiana
$3,200,000​
68 years Asst Coach (OSU, Arizona, NC St), Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year (2017), 139-63 as Dayton HC
Mark Turgeon, Maryland
$2,365,000​
1311 Years Asst Coach (Kansas, Oregon, NBA), MVC Coach of the Year (2006), TX A&M 97-40 record 4 NCAA appearances API high 9
Chris Holtmann, Ohio St.$7,100,000/3,000,000712 Years Asst Coach, All-American (1994), John McLendon National Coach of the Year (2017), Jim Phelan Award (2018) Big South Coach of the Year (2013), Big East Coach of the Year (2017)
I support those that do some legwork on this forum. Thanks for bringing some info!

if I were to take this way more seriously than you intended, I’d want to see how each salary compared when normalized to P6 and big ten medians during the year of hire, where it ranked in the big ten during the year of hire, and the overall contract size. Buyout clauses would also be a key indicator.

He had 12 total blocks last year. 12.

Twelve.

Yes, that's certainly not a lot in absolute terms. He played 303 minutes in 21 games last year. If you converted those minutes to starter minutes (say 30 minutes per game), he'd have 10 games with 12 blocks. That certainly isn't an elite mark (for example, if someone did the same per 30 minute normalization for Elliot Eliason during his junior year, he would have averaged 2.7 per 30 minutes; Matz Stockman averaged 2.48 per 30 minutes during his one season playing here) but it's not bad.

Of course, with Daniels, it's doubtful that he would survive for 30 minutes in most games given that he averaged 7 fouls per 40 minutes over his D1 career.

Are you kidding. This kid is a nobody. Not sure even why Johnson took him other than he needed a body

The poster you were responding to was being sarcastic obviously.

Anytime you can get the back up center from a low major team you have to do it! I mean I wanted bodies so he's that but man we're going to suck next year ha
I'm just confused why we wouldn't use all the scholarships...how do you run practices without bodies? But the good news is we got another one and he's a front court player.

Didn't you read the post above? Ben Johnson was supposed to laugh this kid out of the room....and then tape the unused scholarship to one of the chairs. You know.....the smart thing to do.

If we aren't using all our scholarships, I LOVE filling any with grad transfers. Give them a chance to prove themselves in the Big 10 and give us bodies for practice and for games. This is good. Welcome Charlie. Look forward to seeing you in a gopher uniform.

Bingo.

My god. This guy couldn't even start on a team that was ranked 151 in KenPom. I'll root for him, but this isn't exactly a great look.

Dang. Sucks that he's our star player then. Oh....he isn't?

Welcome Charlie! Most guys never get the chance to prove themselves on this level. I am excited to see how you are able to contribute for the Gophers next year. There is only opportunity for you here.

Don't listen to any of these losers. They are like Marv Albert - bunch of frustrated weird old dudes that talk nonsense and have made a basket in 40 years.

Bingo.

Dang. Sucks that he's our star player then. Oh....he isn't?

Like I said, I'll root for him. I'm guessing you think he was a good addition to the program? I'm failing to see how getting a backup Center from a Southland conference team is considered quality, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Miracles do happen, but expecting positive results from the only two frontcourt players on the Gophers roster, both previous limited bench players, one from a minor level college, the another a backup center on his high school team will be extremely overmatched in the physical & sizeable Big Ten...While the transfer portal was overflowing with the free year added for graduate seniors, and Minnesota had a near empty returning roster, you would assume they would be able to recruit a few polished frontcourt players to the attractive Big Ten...Starting Daniels or Thompson will be pure desperation by Johnson...

While the transfer portal was overflowing with the free year added for graduate seniors, and Minnesota had a near empty returning roster, you would assume they would be able to recruit a few polished frontcourt players to the attractive Big Ten...
This is the part that makes no sense to me.

Like I said, I'll root for him. I'm guessing you think he was a good addition to the program? I'm failing to see how getting a backup Center from a Southland conference team is considered quality, but maybe I'll be surprised.

I think we need bodies and options are limited.

He better be bringing his brother Jack with him because we will need a lot of that this season.

Welcome Charlie! Most guys never get the chance to prove themselves on this level. I am excited to see how you are able to contribute for the Gophers next year. There is only opportunity for you here.

Don't listen to any of these losers. They are like Marv Albert - bunch of frustrated weird old dudes that talk nonsense and have made a basket in 40 years.

I'm happy Charlie is coming here but your argument to discredit critics is asinine. One doesn't have to be a mechanic to know that a car is defective. One doesn't have to be a director to know that a movie stinks. One doesn't have to be chef to know that a meal tastes bad.

It's about the player, not the conference. SFA has a good program, and while NCAA tournament is not (necessarily) the measuring stick, remember that ACU had a nice run in last year's tourney, and they are also from Southland.

Scott Drew brought in a relative unknown Freddie Gillespie from Carleton College a few years ago, and he did pretty well. I don't care where Ben Johnson gets his players, as he long as he starts rev'ing up the recruiting and lands some talent.

I think we need bodies and options are limited.

Yes, he's a body, one that couldn't even start on a mid major team. We literally had unlimited playing time to offer, and we couldn't land ONE single player from another P5 school.

Yes, he's a body, one that couldn't even start on a mid major team. We literally had unlimited playing time to offer, and we couldn't land ONE single player from another P5 school.
Most players transferring from p5 schools are players who barely played. P5 transfers don't mean anything unless they are good players. Let's use Iowa State as an example. Iowa State's only ranked transfer according to ESPN is Brockington from Penn State who is ranked 88th. Battle is ranked 69th for reference.

Most players transferring from p5 schools are players who barely played. P5 transfers don't mean anything unless they are good players. Let's use Iowa State as an example. Iowa State's only ranked transfer according to ESPN is Brockington from Penn State who is ranked 88th. Battle is ranked 69th for reference.

Obviously there are some exceptions. But it's pretty damning we couldn't land ONE player from a P5 program. And yes, Battle was a good get. I'd rather take a highly rated prospect that didn't play much over everything else we got.

Obviously there are some exceptions. But it's pretty damning we couldn't land ONE player from a P5 program. And yes, Battle was a good get. I'd rather take a highly rated prospect that didn't play much over everything else we got.
Can I ask why you would take a p5 bench player over a mid/low major star?

Top Bottom