Charlie Daniels Committed

CoMn

Reaction score
Marcus tweeted and Ben Johnson did his commitment tweet...we got a big. Stephen Austin grad transfer...6'9.

Anytime you can get the back up center from a low major team you have to do it! I mean I wanted bodies so he's that but man we're going to suck next year ha

I'm just confused why we wouldn't use all the scholarships...how do you run practices without bodies? But the good news is we got another one and he's a front court player.

He shot 43% at the free throw line last year for Stephen F Austin. Averaged about 4 points per game. He's a body. Glad to have a 6-9 body to put on the court.

He did shoot over 50%, so that looks good on paper. On a random note, I'm pretty sure this is the 2nd transfer (Fox is the other) who came from a program that had a good record last year. That's good.

He shot 43% at the free throw line last year for Stephen F Austin. Averaged about 4 points per game. He's a body. Glad to have a 6-9 body to put on the court.
Sounds like he could be a defensive presence with ability to block shots...but has a 1.5 TO per game rate.

A crumb is a meal to a starving man. But I think this puts the "we didn't really want Freeman anyway" narrative to rest.
How so? Wouldn't this cement that narrative if we pick up this guy and have sent Freeman off? Freeman does have 3 years of eligibility still so I could see him being chased off to open schollys for players Ben wants in the future. I would rather have Freeman on the roster personally, but that's just me. I think Freeman could have averaged 6 pts, 8 Rebounds, 1.5 blocks in 20 - 25 mins/game this year, not sure what we have for replacement, I hope it's better.

How so? Wouldn't this cement that narrative if we pick up this guy and have sent Freeman off? Freeman does have 3 years of eligibility still so I could see him being chased off to open schollys for players Ben wants in the future. I would rather have Freeman on the roster personally, but that's just me. I think Freeman could have averaged 6 pts, 8 Rebounds, 1.5 blocks in 20 - 25 mins/game this year, not sure what we have for replacement, I hope it's better.
A crumb is a meal to a starving man. But I think this puts the "we didn't really want Freeman anyway" narrative to rest.
BJ waited for the right player to come along so he could say we don't need Freeman because we have a Freeman alike in Daniel's.

I don't see how this guy is an upgrade at all. I suppose the scholarship being freed up is an argument, but that honestly seems like it is zero issue right now. In the new era of college basketball it seems like a terrible reason to run off a player. Especially for this team. We have more open scholarships than we know what to do with, and I suspect we will one year from now too.

At least he comes off the books quickly in a year. But I understand how extremely whelmed most people are by this addition.

I am just anxiously awaiting the 2022 class at this point. This addition is scary… we are really in a tough spot.

If we aren't using all our scholarships, I LOVE filling any with grad transfers. Give them a chance to prove themselves in the Big 10 and give us bodies for practice and for games. This is good. Welcome Charlie. Look forward to seeing you in a gopher uniform.

Here's an article from minnesotasportsfan.com. Notta lot of love for Charlie...

SENIOR BIG MAN WHO STRUGGLED FOR MINUTES AT STEPHEN F. AUSTIN COMMITS TO GOPHERS

Sometimes, desperate times call for desperate measures and that certainly appears to be the case right now in Dinkytown when it comes to the Minnesota Gophers men’s basketball team. Late this afternoon, it was announced that head coach Ben Johnson had pulled a much needed big man out of the transfer portal. His name is Charlie Daniels (not the band) and he’s a 6’9″ senior out of Stephen F. Austin who’s started just four games in his career.

Pulling from a WAC school usually means the player has put up big numbers and/or he’s projected as a Big Ten level talent. But with career averages at Stephen F. Austin that would make Spencer Tollackson look like a star on paper at The U… this take reeks of desperation

If we aren't using all our scholarships, I LOVE filling any with grad transfers. Give them a chance to prove themselves in the Big 10 and give us bodies for practice and for games. This is good. Welcome Charlie. Look forward to seeing you in a gopher uniform.
This! Welcome Charlie! He will provide much needed front court depth.

Here's an article from minnesotasportsfan.com

SENIOR BIG MAN WHO STRUGGLED FOR MINUTES AT STEPHEN F. AUSTIN COMMITS TO GOPHERS

Sometimes, desperate times call for desperate measures and that certainly appears to be the case right now in Dinkytown when it comes to the Minnesota Gophers men’s basketball team. Late this afternoon, it was announced that head coach Ben Johnson had pulled a much needed big man out of the transfer portal. His name is Charlie Daniels (not the band) and he’s a 6’9″ senior out of Stephen F. Austin who’s started just four games in his career.

Pulling from a WAC school usually means the player has put up big numbers and/or he’s projected as a Big Ten level talent. But with career averages at Stephen F. Austin that would make Spencer Tollackson look like a star on paper at The U… this take reeks of desperation
He sounds impressive? Well BJ is getting numbers. , up to 9.

Top Bottom