Charlie Daniels Committed

What is next:

Ben Johnson’s first offseason at the helm of the Gophers continues to not disappoint with storylines, but I am not sure how much those will translate into wins. After weeks of speculation, it was confirmed that Northern State transfer Parker Fox had suffered a torn ACL and will likely miss all of the 2021-22 season. Both Gach and Brandon Johnson are both officially gone, and Minnesota’s roster outlook for next season has never looked grimmer.

PG: Payton Willis/E.J. Stephens
SG: Luke Loewe
SF: Jamison Battle/Sean Sutherlin
PF: Isaiah Ihnen
C: Charlie Daniels/Treyton Thompson

I'm going to hope that this guy does an Andre Ingram impression - five minutes each half, a garbage bucket or two, takes a charge, gets a block, sets four picks every possession, and is a positive energy guy.
Andre Ingram did very little for 1.5 years and then was pretty good for half a season.

My god. This guy couldn't even start on a team that was ranked 151 in KenPom. I'll root for him, but this isn't exactly a great look.
Imagine how much he'll scratch and claw though...

At least he comes off the books quickly in a year. But I understand how extremely whelmed most people are by this addition.
This is another player who is a college version of an NBA expiring contract. The guy you get back in a trade that you don’t really want but you know you can get rid of him next year. And just like the NBA it lets you know your team is gonna suck big time.

With fox out next year is it possible we dont win a game all season?

Just took 2 minutes out of my day to do some research on this guy, and easily figured out that he was SFA’s leader in shot blocks last year. Not one person on this board has mentioned that. This is not ground breaking but it still is a solid pickup considering we literally don’t have a center right now. He was also a juco guy, he has successfully moved his way up the ranks from juco to big ten, one word GRINDER. You are entitled to your own opinion but I do actually like this pickup.

They will be better than 6-24 next year.
Just as an exercise, take the current roster and go through last year's schedule and tell me how many games you think they would have won. When I did it, it was much lower than 6.

Just took 2 minutes out of my day to do some research on this guy, and easily figured out that he was SFA’s leader in shot blocks last year. Not one person on this board has mentioned that. This is not ground breaking but it still is a solid pickup considering we literally don’t have a center right now. He was also a juco guy, he has successfully moved his way up the ranks from juco to big ten, one word GRINDER. You are entitled to your own opinion but I do actually like this pickup.

Do some more research to find other Power 5 offers he had to make sure we didn't offer him out of desperation.

Because the "he worked his way up" is a nice spin job.

This year's team simply needs to play hard and show a coherent offense and bust their butts on D. If we win 6, 8 or 10 games, it's all the same more or less to me.

He has to also sell his vision of what he wants the team/program to be to the 2022 and beyond to HS recruits. If he can do this then we'll be rollin' and he could be a PJ hire and if not, then it will be brutal.

Time will tell.

Just as an exercise, take the current roster and go through last year's schedule and tell me how many games you think they would have won. When I did it, it was much lower than 6.
You have no idea what this roster will look like once they start playing together. And, the rosters of last years opponents look drastically different as well.

Glad to have solid players that play hard, are good teammates and want to be here, welcome Charlie Daniels!

From a performance point of view, many people (including me), wanted someone that could replace Freeman and on a per minute basis, he more than does that.

Freeman:

Career Stats​

See All
Stats
2020-21

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Charlie Daniels:

Career Stats​

See All
Stats
2020-21
2019-20

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

What is next:

Ben Johnson’s first offseason at the helm of the Gophers continues to not disappoint with storylines, but I am not sure how much those will translate into wins. After weeks of speculation, it was confirmed that Northern State transfer Parker Fox had suffered a torn ACL and will likely miss all of the 2021-22 season. Both Gach and Brandon Johnson are both officially gone, and Minnesota’s roster outlook for next season has never looked grimmer.

PG: Payton Willis/E.J. Stephens
SG: Luke Loewe
SF: Jamison Battle/Sean Sutherlin
PF: Isaiah Ihnen
C: Charlie Daniels/Treyton Thompson
giphy.gif

looks like Charlie picks up fouls faster than Jarvis did. maybe an 8 minute per game guy?

Yes. In fact, their career averages at D1 schools for fouls per 40 minutes are identical: 7.0. That's slightly higher than Bakary's career average (6.4) although Bakary's 9.1 fouls per 40 minutes mark set in his junior season would be a tough record to beat.

Andre Ingram did very little for 1.5 years and then was pretty good for half a season.

He was very helpful coming off the bench in their 2012 NIT run. That's part of what gives me some hope. That team had a front line of Rodney Williams, RS freshman Elliot, RS freshman Oto, and Andre Ingram but still made it to the final game of the NIT while playing all of its games on the road.

He's also being paid like a last place coach in the B1G.
An honest and fair review:

Pay: First year pay of some of the Big10 coaches along with experience that would have helped determine that pay (see grid). Ben is being paid reasonably well, relatively speaking.

Recruiting: We are not in a position to be throwing away scholarships. That is silly talk. The problem fans have is the team is not looking especially strong on paper right now. Combined with a coach who has no prior head coaching experience and it is tough and perhaps silly to spin positives.

With that stated, it is very possible to have a gritty team (one that consistently outworks the opponent) that plays together and gets it done by making it tough for the other team to score and that plays smart offensively (getting the ball to the open player, playing within one's ability, proper spacing, good off ball movement, etc...) to be very successful. Will that happen? How could anyone know?

Winning: You don't necessarily need the best players to win, you need the best team to win; sometimes those are synonymous and sometimes they are not. There are some pretty good mid major teams that lack star power.

Expectations: Winners typically have high expectations. Fans like winning, so expectations are typically high. Low expectations = low and disinterested fan base. Low and disinterested fan base = trouble. The preceding = common sense.

Reality: I think Coyle did Ben Johnson a disservice by not better selling him to the fan base. He was hired over some proven winners which means Coyle has some really good reasons to sell him as a head coach that should have been articulated for momentum's sake.

This program has not been great for a while and now the future is clearly uncertain which makes it difficult for fans.

If anything above is unair, let it be stricken from the records.

Coach, SchoolStarting SalaryHC Exp At HireOther Notables
Greg Gard, Wisconsin
$638,000​
Coach or Assistant coach for 25 years prior to hire, WI Assoc HC for 7 yrs
Richard Pitino, Minnesota
$1,200,000​
1Son of Rick Pitino, FIU HC 1 yr, Asst coach for 8 yrs including Florida & Louisville
Juwan Howard, Michigan
$2,000,000​
2× NBA champion, NBA All-Star, All-NBA Third Team, NBA All-Rookie Second Team, Second-team All-American, Third-team All-American, Miami Heat Assistant coach 6 years
Steve Pikiell, Rutgers
$1,400,000​
11College Asst Coach for 15 yrs, Stony Brook HC 11 yrs
Ben Johnson
$2,000,000​
College Asst coach for 15 yrs including MN, Nebraska, & Xavier
Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska
$2,500,000​
510 yr NBA player, 115-56 W/L rate as IA ST HC -- Hired at IA St for $850,000 per year
Fran McCaffery, Iowa
$800,000​
14MAAC Coach of the Year (2009), Asst coach for 12 years
Matt Painter, Purdue
$1,290,000​
1Asst Coach 11 years, As HC MVC Coach of the Year w 25-5 record one time AP top 15
Chris Collins, Northwestern
$1,340,000​
15 years Asst Coach -- 13 yrs at Duke
Brad Underwood, Illinois
$2,700,000​
87 years Asst Coach, 4 yr CC HC, Southland Coach of the Year, 1 yr at OK St: 20–13 & NCAA appearance
Archie Miller, Indiana
$3,200,000​
68 years Asst Coach (OSU, Arizona, NC St), Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year (2017), 139-63 as Dayton HC
Mark Turgeon, Maryland
$2,365,000​
1311 Years Asst Coach (Kansas, Oregon, NBA), MVC Coach of the Year (2006), TX A&M 97-40 record 4 NCAA appearances API high 9
Chris Holtmann, Ohio St.$7,100,000/3,000,000712 Years Asst Coach, All-American (1994), John McLendon National Coach of the Year (2017), Jim Phelan Award (2018) Big South Coach of the Year (2013), Big East Coach of the Year (2017)

He was third on the team in total blocks this past season and also third on the team in blocks per 40 minutes. He was tied for first in blocks per game.

Pay: First year pay of some of the Big10 coaches along with experience that would have helped determine that pay (see grid). Ben is being paid reasonably well, relatively speaking.

Recruiting: We are not in a position to be throwing away scholarships. That is silly talk. The problem fans have is the team is not looking especially strong on paper right now. Combined with a coach who has no prior head coaching experience and it is tough and perhaps silly to spin positives.

With that stated, it is very possible to have a gritty team (one that consistently outworks the opponent) that plays together and gets it done by making it tough for the other team to score and that plays smart offensively (getting the ball to the open player, playing within one's ability, proper spacing, good off ball movement, etc...) to be very successful. Will that happen? How could anyone know?

Winning: You don't necessarily need the best players to win, you need the best team to win; sometimes those are synonymous and sometimes they are not. There are some pretty good mid major teams that lack star power.

Expectations: Winners typically have high expectations. Fans like winning, so expectations are typically high. Low expectations = low and disinterested fan base. Low and disinterested fan base = trouble. The preceding = common sense.

Reality: I think Coyle did Ben Johnson a disservice by not better selling him to the fan base. He was hired over some proven winners which means Coyle has some really good reasons to sell him as a head coach that should have been articulated for momentum's sake.

This program has not been great for a while and now the future is clearly uncertain which makes it difficult for fans.

Greg Gard, Wisconsin
$638,000​
$1,200,000​
1Son of Rick Pitino, FIU HC 1 yr, Asst coach for 8 yrs including Florida & Louisville
Juwan Howard, Michigan
$2,000,000​
2× NBA champion, NBA All-Star, All-NBA Third Team, NBA All-Rookie Second Team, Second-team All-American, Third-team All-American, Miami Heat Assistant coach 6 years
Steve Pikiell, Rutgers
$1,400,000​
Ben Johnson
$2,000,000​
Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska
$2,500,000​
510 yr NBA player, 115-56 W/L rate as IA ST HC -- Hired at IA St for $850,000 per year
Fran McCaffery, Iowa
$800,000​
Matt Painter, Purdue
$1,290,000​
1Asst Coach 11 years, As HC MVC Coach of the Year w 25-5 record one time AP top 15
$1,340,000​
Brad Underwood, Illinois
$2,700,000​
87 years Asst Coach, 4 yr CC HC, Southland Coach of the Year, 1 yr at OK St: 20–13 & NCAA appearance
Archie Miller, Indiana
$3,200,000​
68 years Asst Coach (OSU, Arizona, NC St), Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year (2017), 139-63 as Dayton HC
Mark Turgeon, Maryland
$2,365,000​
1311 Years Asst Coach (Kansas, Oregon, NBA), MVC Coach of the Year (2006), TX A&M 97-40 record 4 NCAA appearances API high 9
Chris Holtmann, Ohio St.$7,100,000/3,000,000712 Years Asst Coach, All-American (1994), John McLendon National Coach of the Year (2017), Jim Phelan Award (2018) Big South Coach of the Year (2013), Big East Coach of the Year (2017)

Your resume list shorts Fran McCaffrey's accomplishments prior to being hired for the Iowa job. He was a actually a head coach at 3 D1 programs for a total of 14 years prior. He had an overall winning record with all three programs and took all three programs to the NCAA tournament, including 3 years in a row at Siena right before he was hired by Iowa.

Your resume list shorts Fran McCaffrey's accomplishments prior to being hired for the Iowa job. He was a actually a head coach at 3 D1 programs for a total of 14 years prior. He had an overall winning record with all three programs and took all three programs to the NCAA tournament, including 3 years in a row at Siena right before he was hired by Iowa.
See the column, "HC Exp At Hire". It is an imperfect, but relatively fair review of peers in the Big10.

You have no idea what this roster will look like once they start playing together. And, the rosters of last years opponents look drastically different as well.
So why didn’t you tag this comment to the “we will win more than 6 games” post, it applies there as well.

I was responding to somebody making a finger in the air prediction of winning more than 6 games. Then I get people saying I don't have details to make my assessment, but say nothing to the original poster. I know the reason is because people want it to be true, so they apply no criteria to that comment, but when somebody says something that doesn't align with what they want to be true they attack it and say you have to have more info. Silly. Confirmation bias.

So in the context of making a finger in the air assessment, you really don't need to know who exactly will be on the final roster. We have a pretty good idea that any additions will be right around the type of players that have already been gotten, and the longer things go probably worse. So we have a pretty good idea of the talent level that we will have. We also know that none of our players have ever played together before. We also know that none of the players have played in BJ's system. We also know that BJ has not been a game HC. We also know we will not have a full roster, as BJ has already said.

In regards to opponents looking different, yes of course, but the B1G is still going to be one of the best conferences. Some teams will be better and some will be worse, so just doing a finger in the air assessment comparing to last year is fine. Maybe BJ will schedule 6 games against the little sisters of the poor and thus will get 6 wins, but for this exercise I thought why not just compare it to the level we faced last year and see. If your whole premise for saying we will get more than 6 wins is because we will tour the MIAC, well congrats you win, but I consider that an embarrassment. Last year's NC schedule wasn't murder's row by any means, but it wasn't completely terrible. So yeah I had to make some high level assumptions, but what else can you do at this point when we don't have a schedule and all teams' rosters are in flux, that's why I didn't light up the original post with the points you made.

Last edited:

For those who are all worked up that BJ has failed to bring in top talent, relax, take a deep breath and let a dose of reality set in. BJ has no track record to show recruits what his teams are all about and ability to get team to NCAA and guys ready for NBA. He doesn’t stand a chance in that contest. My guess is that the new Gophers like him as a person, trust him and want to get a UM degree.
Is this suppose to make people feel better?

Greg Gard, Wisconsin
$638,000​
$1,200,000​
Juwan Howard, Michigan
$2,000,000​
Steve Pikiell, Rutgers
$1,400,000​
Ben Johnson
$2,000,000​
Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska
$2,500,000​
Fran McCaffery, Iowa
$800,000​
Matt Painter, Purdue
$1,290,000​
$1,340,000​
Brad Underwood, Illinois
$2,700,000​
Archie Miller, Indiana
$3,200,000​
Mark Turgeon, Maryland
$2,365,000​
Holtmann got paid $7 million in year 1?

Top Bottom