Charlie Daniels Committed

If we aren't using all our scholarships, I LOVE filling any with grad transfers. Give them a chance to prove themselves in the Big 10 and give us bodies for practice and for games. This is good. Welcome Charlie. Look forward to seeing you in a gopher uniform.

Yes, this is better than not even being able to find people to give scholarships to. This is a small step up from the practice squad type players.

I'd get the word out to anyone over 6'7" that got decent run in the MIAC that they could get an offer.

Our backup Center Freeman averaged 6 minutes and 1.1 ppg. As long as he gets similar minutes he should be a solid addition.

I'm too lazy to look at what Sam Freeman's stats were, but guessing Charlie will be in his role this year. Difference is Sam had multiple years left and Charlie is one year and done.

Now, come on down, Steffon Mitchell!

I'm going to hope that this guy does an Andre Ingram impression - five minutes each half, a garbage bucket or two, takes a charge, gets a block, sets four picks every possession, and is a positive energy guy.
so jarvis omersa?

Here's an article from minnesotasportsfan.com. Notta lot of love for Charlie...

SENIOR BIG MAN WHO STRUGGLED FOR MINUTES AT STEPHEN F. AUSTIN COMMITS TO GOPHERS

Sometimes, desperate times call for desperate measures and that certainly appears to be the case right now in Dinkytown when it comes to the Minnesota Gophers men’s basketball team. Late this afternoon, it was announced that head coach Ben Johnson had pulled a much needed big man out of the transfer portal. His name is Charlie Daniels (not the band) and he’s a 6’9″ senior out of Stephen F. Austin who’s started just four games in his career.

Pulling from a WAC school usually means the player has put up big numbers and/or he’s projected as a Big Ten level talent. But with career averages at Stephen F. Austin that would make Spencer Tollackson look like a star on paper at The U… this take reeks of desperation
Coach 'em up!!

For those who are all worked up that BJ has failed to bring in top talent, relax, take a deep breath and let a dose of reality set in. BJ has no track record to show recruits what his teams are all about and ability to get team to NCAA and guys ready for NBA. He doesn’t stand a chance in that contest. My guess is that the new Gophers like him as a person, trust him and want to get a UM degree.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time from late November to early March sitting on a barstool, acting like a dern fool.

For those who are all worked up that BJ has failed to bring in top talent, relax, take a deep breath and let a dose of reality set in. BJ has no track record to show recruits what his teams are all about and ability to get team to NCAA and guys ready for NBA. He doesn’t stand a chance in that contest. My guess is that the new Gophers like him as a person, trust him and want to get a UM degree.
So we're supposed to be happy and enthusiastic about it? Everything you listed is true, and it's also an excuse. After 8 years of that with RP I'm sick of those. He's being paid to put a good team on the floor, thus far he's failing. I think its justified as fans we are frustrated with that. What happens if we go say 6-24 next year, then should we still give him the benefit of the doubt? When are excuses no longer valid? Does he have a tough job, absolutely he does, that doesn't mean struggling at it should be acceptable.

heres the deal for those upset (which i used to be but now i've accepted our fate for this coming year lol)

Ben is an outlier, so with that, we really have nothing to compare our situation to as far as expectations.

I can't think of any other new Power 5 head coach with a background like Bens.

So give him a break, he's figuring stuff out and I'm sure getting advise from Thor on how to navigate this.

I'm now judging him based on his 22 class, that's it. This coming year I'll watch only because i love my gophers, but my expectations are like his salary, we're last in the B1G.

It's a great commit as long as Ben keeps recruiting until we have a full team. One and done is great, especially if you aren't planning on using all your scholarships. We need bodies and big ones.

Here's an article from minnesotasportsfan.com. Notta lot of love for Charlie...

SENIOR BIG MAN WHO STRUGGLED FOR MINUTES AT STEPHEN F. AUSTIN COMMITS TO GOPHERS

Sometimes, desperate times call for desperate measures and that certainly appears to be the case right now in Dinkytown when it comes to the Minnesota Gophers men’s basketball team. Late this afternoon, it was announced that head coach Ben Johnson had pulled a much needed big man out of the transfer portal. His name is Charlie Daniels (not the band) and he’s a 6’9″ senior out of Stephen F. Austin who’s started just four games in his career.

Pulling from a WAC school usually means the player has put up big numbers and/or he’s projected as a Big Ten level talent. But with career averages at Stephen F. Austin that would make Spencer Tollackson look like a star on paper at The U… this take reeks of desperation
Never heard of it

I legitimately don’t know if this is satire. I understand it will take time, but wolf, I didn’t realize how beaten down our fan base is.

Did BJ recruit him or did one of the assistants?

So we're supposed to be happy and enthusiastic about it? Everything you listed is true, and it's also an excuse. After 8 years of that with RP I'm sick of those. He's being paid to put a good team on the floor, thus far he's failing. I think its justified as fans we are frustrated with that. What happens if we go say 6-24 next year, then should we still give him the benefit of the doubt? When are excuses no longer valid? Does he have a tough job, absolutely he does, that doesn't mean struggling at it should be acceptable.
Only 6 wins is a real possibility next season but yes Ben Johnson is going get the benefit of the doubt. You never want a throw away season but that is what the 2021-22 season is.

The Johnson hire wasn’t a win now hire. It was another learn on the job hire just as the previous coach. What needs to be seen this season is improvement from November to March and hopefully an idea how a Ben Johnson coached team will look like.

Johnson does need to hit on at least one and maybe two what would be considered big time recruits for 2022. The benefit of the doubt will be gone fast.

Last edited:

We haven't played a game yet....we don't have our roster set....and Ben Johnson is a year away from getting his first recruiting class. Am I happy about this commitment? No, I'm indifferent to it because I don't think he will be starting, but he will probably be fine to get minutes. If this is the roster with maybe one more player, year I will be concerned. Especially if Fox is out for the season. I expect we will get three or maybe four more players. I don't think we will go 6-24 next year, but if we do and Ben Johnson recruits a typical Pitino class, believe me BJ will start to feel the heat.

Only 6 wins is a real possibility next season but yes Ben Johnson is going get the benefit of the doubt for the first couple of seasons. You never want a throw away season but that is what the 2021-22 season is.

The Johnson hire wasn’t a win now hire. It was another learn on the job hire just as the previous coach. What needs to be seen this season is improvement from November to March and hopefully an idea how a Ben Johnson coached team will look like.

Johnson does need to hit on at least one and maybe two what would be considered big time recruits for 2022. The benefit of the doubt will be gone fast.
They will be better than 6-24 next year.

We haven't played a game yet....we don't have our roster set....and Ben Johnson is a year away from getting his first recruiting class. Am I happy about this commitment? No, I'm indifferent to it because I don't think he will be starting, but he will probably be fine to get minutes. If this is the roster with maybe one more player, year I will be concerned. Especially if Fox is out for the season. I expect we will get three or maybe four more players. I don't think we will go 6-24 next year, but if we do and Ben Johnson recruits a typical Pitino class, believe me BJ will start to feel the heat.

He's also being paid like a last place coach in the B1G.

He's also being paid like a last place coach in the B1G.
That is because he is one of the newest coaches in the B1G. The point is we will be better than people think. Let's wait until we get a roster and start playing games before we start declaring them the worst team in B1G history.

BTW, for older Gopher fans....when did the Gophers switch locker rooms and benches?

Top Bottom