Charlie Daniels Committed

Who did a better job? All I said was that Smith did a better job. If you can't refute that, or agree, I'm not sure why you're acting like this? Yes, his mid major players he landed are significantly better than ours.

It's funny...because a bunch of other bashers have been complaining that Johnson couldn't bring in other power five transfers. BUT SMITH! So many great mid major transfers!!! What an awesome job he did.

lol.

The problem with your sarcasm is yeah maybe that's not too impressive, but it's a lot better than what we have got. We are sitting over here pining for a roster like that, that is how bad it is. So your slam on Utah's roster is actually a bigger slam on Minnesota's roster.

My "slam"? My point is that you fools have been whining for months about who we could have brought in, rather than Johnson. Would Smith's mid-major players turn us into a contender? I'm confused. You guys can't keep your shit straight. "Johnson only brought in mid-major players!!! We're doomed!". "Smith brought in great mid-majors!!! And to think we could have had him!!!".

lol.

It's funny...because a bunch of other bashers have been complaining that Johnson couldn't bring in other power five transfers. BUT SMITH! So many great mid major transfers!!! What an awesome job he did.

lol.

Well at least you admitted Smith did a better job...

Well at least you admitted Smith did a better job...

At gluing together a roster that's also not going to make the tournament? Yay. I'm looking towards the future. Guess that a lot of fans can't see past their own noses.

I think everyone on the M.B. realizes Johnson attempted to land several higher profile recruits, some warming up to the Gophers on their final college list but upon a consistent & numerous final decision they choose other college teams, some as we know even picked minor media driven programs than joining the Gophers in the Big Ten or in some cases joined a major team as roll player off the bench when they possibly could be a volume minute go-to player for Minnesota...Several new coaches hired in March appear to have landed {on paper} higher profile or talent ranked players then what Minnesota was able to secure.....In a few cases the coach or new assistants had previous contact & connection with the recruit or the new coach had guided teams in the past to a higher level of recognition.. We only hope in 2022 the Minnesota coaching staff commit some of their pre-chosen target players and not scramble with the roster filled in desperation, possibly similar to what appears this year.....

ha..ha..ha... I would rather have hungry, top achievers from a lower level school than some middle of the bench player from a lower level P5 or small school.

You will be surprised about the Gopher this year.

The Mountain West is one of the best non-power leagues in the country. The two transfers from Utah St were starters on a NCAA tournament team, Jenkins was UNLV's second leading scorer, and Gach was a starter here and at Utah previously, and would have started for the Gophers this season.

He also kept Utah's 3rd and 6th leading scorers, where the Gophers will return 0 production from last season. Utah's offseason has been significantly better than the Gophers.

At gluing together a roster that's also not going to make the tournament? Yay. I'm looking towards the future. Guess that a lot of fans can't see past their own noses.

I'm looking towards the future too, because it's all we can rely on. I don't think me saying Johnson has severely underwhelmed this off-seaso(thus far) is any sort of hot take. I had higher expectations. Hopefully he can deliver on that for 2022 recruiting and next off-season.

I'm looking towards the future too, because it's all we can rely on. I don't think me saying Johnson has severely underwhelmed this off-seaso(thus far) is any sort of hot take. I had higher expectations. Hopefully he can deliver on that for 2022 recruiting and next off-season.

That's fair. I'm willing to give him a pass on this class. I realize that not everybody will. But he can't come out of the 2022 recruiting cycle with leftovers. Definitely agree there.

That's fair. I'm willing to give him a pass on this class. I realize that not everybody will. But he can't come out of the 2022 recruiting cycle with leftovers. Definitely agree there.
I think a lot of fans don’t all get that Ben chose to fill this year out quickly so he could put maximum effort into 2022 and 2023. He’s working to build something. He didn’t go on all in on this season. He chose character and fits over talent. I think long term it’s the right choice.

My "slam"? My point is that you fools have been whining for months about who we could have brought in, rather than Johnson. Would Smith's mid-major players turn us into a contender? I'm confused. You guys can't keep your shit straight. "Johnson only brought in mid-major players!!! We're doomed!". "Smith brought in great mid-majors!!! And to think we could have had him!!!".

lol.
Abstracting the discussion to mid-majors = mid-majors thus they are the same is silly. If you look at the rosters, Utah's is better than Minnesota's. If you look at where both started and where they ended up, Utah got better, Minnesota got worse. You are the one who can't keep it straight.

Abstracting the discussion to mid-majors = mid-majors thus they are the same is silly. If you look at the rosters, Utah's is better than Minnesota's. If you look at where both started and where they ended up, Utah got better, Minnesota got worse. You are the one who can't keep it straight.

Really? Because the mid-major transfers is an argument that I've seen repeated here multiple times. Let's see how Utah fares this year and come back to it. The Gophers were unlikely to compete this year. Toss in a couple of season ending injuries....and there's almost no way. What's the bar set for Craig Smith and Utah?

I think a lot of fans don’t all get that Ben chose to fill this year out quickly so he could put maximum effort into 2022 and 2023. He’s working to build something. He didn’t go on all in on this season. He chose character and fits over talent. I think long term it’s the right choice.
I think you are half right. I think he started out looking for fit. (I don't want to say "character" because that implies that last year's group was a bad bunch and we don't know that.) Just a guess--but I think he was looking for outside shooting, ball movement and defense. Then he was overtaken by events and injuries. He probably lost 2-3 guys from last year's team that he wanted to keep and thought he would keep. The injuries to Ihnen and Fox are killers. I think it took him longer to complete his staff than he anticipated. Offering minutes to guys in the transfer portal hasn't been enough. At this point, he's scrambling for bodies. I think he's putting max effort into 21-22 and 22-23 because he knows if 21-22 is too far under water it will have a long carry over effect.

I still think a better playing style and better effort will partially compensate for the lack of talent. They are going to have to shoot 50-60 threes a game.

It could be anywhere from the worst winter in Williams since I can't remember to a feel good story of some kind.

It would be great if we could get someone on here who has actually seen them work out and who is objective to give us some feedback.

So this is part of the master plan. OK. Duly noted.

Utah's roster got better? You better tell their fanbase that because they disagree wholeheartedly.

So this is where I get confused. Why is punting this year a pre-req to being good in the future? I agree, Utah isnt some wrecking ball of a team that is going to he final four, but if my options are go 6-24 or 14-16 I choose the later. I understand at the end of the day neither team is likely making the tourney but I just continue to be baffled by the people who are almost happy that we might be the worst P5 team in the country.
I also think there is a bit of a misnomer out there that if you arent as physically talented than you are automatically a better kid and harder working. How does anyone know that? I could not tell you if David Jenkins is a great team player or works hard. But by the same token, no one can say for sure that Daniels/Ogele is the greatest teammate and hardest worker they have ever seen. Its just implied by many on here that "well he isnt a 4/5* kid, so hes a great kid who will put a stamp on the culture" Why is that a given? Its absolutely possible, but its also possible they are 4-15 half way through the year and are annoyed and punt the season. Plenty of 5* guys work their tail off and are great leaders too, just because they have more physical ability is no reason you cant do that. The same goes for coaching, I have seen "well Daniels was awful but with a better coach he might be awesome!" That is totally true, but we dont know, maybe Stephens coach at Lafayette was better and got the most out of him and now he regresses. Furthermore, we are being told by many on here "we need to build a culture" sure I 100% get that. What are Ogele/Daniels/Lowe/Stephens going to do that will set up the future for Tre/Payne/Carrington whoever? None of them will ever be in a practice, a meeting or a game with those guys. Is Ben going to show them game film, hey look at Ogele, we were down 30 in this game but he took a charge them made the extra pass! I guess its clear we all see it differently (which is ok, its a message board) but I just dont understand some of the rationale here. I know the rebuttle will be "well they havent even played a game yet!" and that is true, I know I need to be more patient, but I also think there should be some urgency to bring in high priority guys. <End rant> =)

I think you are half right. I think he started out looking for fit. (I don't want to say "character" because that implies that last year's group was a bad bunch and we don't know that.) Just a guess--but I think he was looking for outside shooting, ball movement and defense. Then he was overtaken by events and injuries. He probably lost 2-3 guys from last year's team that he wanted to keep and thought he would keep. The injuries to Ihnen and Fox are killers. I think it took him longer to complete his staff than he anticipated. Offering minutes to guys in the transfer portal hasn't been enough. At this point, he's scrambling for bodies. I think he's putting max effort into 21-22 and 22-23 because he knows if 21-22 is too far under water it will have a long carry over effect.

I still think a better playing style and better effort will partially compensate for the lack of talent. They are going to have to shoot 50-60 threes a game.

It could be anywhere from the worst winter in Williams since I can't remember to a feel good story of some kind.

It would be great if we could get someone on here who has actually seen them work out and who is objective to give us some feedback.

Johnson quickly signed several mid-major players. Either the best or second best on their respective teams. Had he filled out the roster with those caliber players....the Gophers probably wouldn't look terrible this upcoming year. Extremely difficult to say when dealing with a patchwork team and a new coach.

But Ihnen going down is a problem. I thought he had a shot to step up this year and potentially be forced due to his athleticism and defensive prowess. If he developed some handles....and could take the ball to the hoop....he could be very dangerous. Then you have our transfer gem in Parker Fox going down too.

Yikes. It just wasn't meant to be this year. Not that I expected a top half finish. But we're now looking to NOT have a historically bad season. That eight win season in 2015-2016 (with a FAR better roster) might be the measuring stick. Honestly.....not trying to put a bow on what will be a rough year.....but playing out this year with the roster that we have might give us a glimpse of what to expect with Johnson as a head coach. If we get blown out of the water by most Big Ten teams.....it will likely be expected. If we stay competitive and even win some games....it could be a good sign for the future.

Johnson quickly signed several mid-major players. Either the best or second best on their respective teams. Had he filled out the roster with those caliber players....the Gophers probably wouldn't look terrible this upcoming year. Extremely difficult to say when dealing with a patchwork team and a new coach.

But Ihnen going down is a problem. I thought he had a shot to step up this year and potentially be forced due to his athleticism and defensive prowess. If he developed some handles....and could take the ball to the hoop....he could be very dangerous. Then you have our transfer gem in Parker Fox going down too.

Yikes. It just wasn't meant to be this year. Not that I expected a top half finish. But we're now looking to NOT have a historically bad season. That eight win season in 2015-2016 (with a FAR better roster) might be the measuring stick. Honestly.....not trying to put a bow on what will be a rough year.....but playing out this year with the roster that we have might give us a glimpse of what to expect with Johnson as a head coach. If we get blown out of the water by most Big Ten teams.....it will likely be expected. If we stay competitive and even win some games....it could be a good sign for the future.

Good post. Perhaps he should have recruited the front court players first. Of course, the two injuries still would have been a big blow.

At least when it comes to the guards, I don't think I agree that the 2015-16 club had a "far better roster." The guards on that team were poor (some even terrible) shooters (even Mason was below average that season). They were also young and immature. Recall that three of them were suspended late in the season for hijinks that hopefully the older and more experienced guards on this team would know to avoid. The guards on this team, with the exception of Sutherlin, appear to be good shooters. I'm pretty comfortable with the guards on this team and Battle. We just have to hope that the coach finds some combination of front court players that will manage to at least approach adequacy.

So this is part of the master plan. OK. Duly noted.
Jamiches post summed it up well. Ran into a couple injuries and I’m sure when he took the job he thought he was keeping Gabe and Johnson too. Garcia was a pipe dream but showed interest. The plan was to find a bunch of one year guys for this year and hit 2022 hard and build 2023 relationships. He will also be able to hit the portal way harder and be more selective next year. Whether it works or not we don’t know but I do think it was the right strategy.

So this is where I get confused. Why is punting this year a pre-req to being good in the future? I agree, Utah isnt some wrecking ball of a team that is going to he final four, but if my options are go 6-24 or 14-16 I choose the later. I understand at the end of the day neither team is likely making the tourney but I just continue to be baffled by the people who are almost happy that we might be the worst P5 team in the country.
I also think there is a bit of a misnomer out there that if you arent as physically talented than you are automatically a better kid and harder working. How does anyone know that? I could not tell you if David Jenkins is a great team player or works hard. But by the same token, no one can say for sure that Daniels/Ogele is the greatest teammate and hardest worker they have ever seen. Its just implied by many on here that "well he isnt a 4/5* kid, so hes a great kid who will put a stamp on the culture" Why is that a given? Its absolutely possible, but its also possible they are 4-15 half way through the year and are annoyed and punt the season. Plenty of 5* guys work their tail off and are great leaders too, just because they have more physical ability is no reason you cant do that. The same goes for coaching, I have seen "well Daniels was awful but with a better coach he might be awesome!" That is totally true, but we dont know, maybe Stephens coach at Lafayette was better and got the most out of him and now he regresses. Furthermore, we are being told by many on here "we need to build a culture" sure I 100% get that. What are Ogele/Daniels/Lowe/Stephens going to do that will set up the future for Tre/Payne/Carrington whoever? None of them will ever be in a practice, a meeting or a game with those guys. Is Ben going to show them game film, hey look at Ogele, we were down 30 in this game but he took a charge them made the extra pass! I guess its clear we all see it differently (which is ok, its a message board) but I just dont understand some of the rationale here. I know the rebuttle will be "well they havent even played a game yet!" and that is true, I know I need to be more patient, but I also think there should be some urgency to bring in high priority guys. <End rant> =)
I don’t think he planned on fully punting at first. Fox injury, not landing one of the bigs (Thompson, Rebraca, Manley, Mitchell, John, more im sure), and not keeping 1-2 of Gabe, Johnson, And Gach wasn’t in his plans. I’m not going to pretend that 2021 went like he hoped, but I do think at the same point he gave it as much time as he was going to and switched over to making up for time on 2022 and starting 2023 recruiting. Honestly a team of Willis, Lowe, Battle, Fox, and one of those bigs is a nice 5. It just didn’t happen in many ways. The cure to making this job successful for him will not be next year. It will be recruiting strong 2022 and 2023 classes imo.

I liked Craig Smiths group he added as well, but I don’t know if that happens here either? Two different universities to recruit to.

Jamiches post summed it up well. Ran into a couple injuries and I’m sure when he took the job he thought he was keeping Gabe and Johnson too. Garcia was a pipe dream but showed interest. The plan was to find a bunch of one year guys for this year and hit 2022 hard and build 2023 relationships. He will also be able to hit the portal way harder and be more selective next year. Whether it works or not we don’t know but I do think it was the right strategy.
I take your second sentence as excuses, and a huge miscalculation in his plan. lieb nailed it above.

And to your other post saying Ben didnt plan on "fully" punting at first - then he really didnt plan on 22-23 at all. You cant have it both ways and it then appears Ben in changing strategies quickly ala brew.

In either case not a good look to me.

I take your second sentence as excuses, and a huge miscalculation in his plan. lieb nailed it above.

And to your other post saying Ben didnt plan on "fully" punting at first - then he really didnt plan on 22-23 at all. You cant have it both ways and it then appears Ben in changing strategies quickly ala brew.

Burner....I appreciate your posts on this board. Same with beej.....who I have also praised as one of the best bball forum posters. But do you really like lieb's posts? Seems like a troll to me.

I’ll try this one more time for you as I didn’t explain it clearly obviously. Ben always had 2022 and 2023 on his mind as his top priorities when he was hired. Being an assistant at Xavier, he had to start relationships with many of the MN kids since Xavier wasn’t recruiting them. Being this was the priority, Ben’s plan seemed to be that he wanted to fill 2021 with as many 1 year guys as he could and hopefully keep Gabe, Both, Ihnen, Johnson, plus Treyton Thompson. He would only take a multi year transfer if it was a high level one(Garcia (probably a 1 year, but had eligibility), Battle, and Fox for example). He got two in Battle and Fox who had multiple offers to go to many P5 schools. In Fox’s case he had almost his choice of any school depending on what role he wanted to play.

Obviously some of his hopes/plans for 2021 didn’t pan out, but his plan to give full effort on 2022 and 23 is well in motion. Let’s see what he comes up with. The idea that you just stop focusing on 2022 and 23 to try and salvage 2021 isn’t the smart way to build it here imo. We just had 8 years of trying to fill in and stop gap, while not building strong relationships with HS recruits. We will see if Ben can make it happen or not with 2022 and 23 which was always the main priority.

I’ll try this one more time for you as I didn’t explain it clearly obviously. Ben always had 2022 and 2023 on his mind as his top priorities when he was hired. Being an assistant at Xavier, he had to start relationships with many of the MN kids since Xavier wasn’t recruiting them. Being this was the priority, Ben’s plan seemed to be that he wanted to fill 2021 with as many 1 year guys as he could and hopefully keep Gabe, Both, Ihnen, Johnson, plus Treyton Thompson. He would only take a multi year transfer if it was a high level one(Garcia (probably a 1 year, but had eligibility), Battle, and Fox for example). He got two in Battle and Fox who had multiple offers to go to many P5 schools. In Fox’s case he had almost his choice of any school depending on what role he wanted to play.

Obviously some of his hopes/plans for 2021 didn’t pan out, but his plan to give full effort on 2022 and 23 is well in motion. Let’s see what he comes up with. The idea that you just stop focusing on 2022 and 23 to try and salvage 2021 isn’t the smart way to build it here imo. We just had 8 years of trying to fill in and stop gap, while not building strong relationships with HS recruits. We will see if Ben can make it happen or not with 2022 and 23 which was always the main priority.
I cant def buy most of this. Stocker thinks I am a troll I guess, certainly not going for that, I just think there are some in denial and that everything has gone perfectly to plan! As you state, he made some missteps and compound that with injuries and you have a disaster setting up for this year. If anyone thinks his ideal plan included punting this year completely I think that is not correct. We started off VERY strong with Battle/Fox/Lowe, things just have gone decidedly south since then.

I understand the general idea of "well this year is probably going to suck, so if my choice is go to FLA to get 1 decent guy this year that maybe wins us 1 more game, or go to Peach Jam and watch 5 guys I want for '22-'23 then that is a better long term plan", I just hate when the gophers lose 1 game, knowing it might be 1-3 years before we are above water is just so tough for me to come to grips with. Again now he has put so many eggs in the 22-23 basket he needs to deliver big.

Cue Spaulding!No! to refute this take..

Do phone calls/visits with marginal prospects take less time than the player we really wanted? I don't buy this excuse.

Do phone calls/visits with marginal prospects take less time than the player we really wanted? I don't buy this excuse.
Where did I say that? I’m saying they chose to value guys who fit and are of high character this year vs if they are talented. Doesn’t mean the high character kids lack talent, but it does shrink the field that you can pick from.

Where did I say that? I’m saying they chose to value guys who fit and are of high character this year vs if they are talented. Doesn’t mean the high character kids lack talent, but it does shrink the field that you can pick from.
Well....we can certainly hope that none of our new guys ends up on the police blotter this year.

Top Bottom