Chances ESPN college gameday at TCF Bank Stadium

Or 53. Same difference, right? How long ago was Becky's last national championship?

2cpx4xy.jpg

Did this on my computer. Took me about two minutes. Clear view of national championships (incomplete as the stadium was under construction, though also funny because the two shown are more than Becky has) with no mention or view of the Big Ten championships whatsoever. What else ya got, brain wizard?

You're young and stupid. You will learn to appreciate history as you get older. It's easy to discount everything that happened before you were born. But it still happened nonetheless, whether it's personally relevant to you or not.

There are plenty of people who can tell stories from Minnesota's national championship seasons. Where are the people to recount the stories of Becky's?

HAHAHAHA. 100% WRONG!!!!

Here's my view on it, and it's different from the majority of GopherHolers. Perception matters. Do most college football fans know that we won 7 national titles? Do they know we were once considered a dominant force in the CFB landscape? Probably not and therefore it has no relevance to me either. I want to get back to the top but I know where we are now and what the rest of the country thinks about our program.

Princeton won a ton of titles a long time ago too, would you go around touting Princeton's glorious football past as a leg to stand on?

Here's my view on it, and it's different from the majority of GopherHolers. Perception matters. Do most college football fans know that we won 7 national titles? Do they know we were once considered a dominant force in the CFB landscape? Probably not and therefore it has no relevance to me either. I want to get back to the top but I know where we are now and what the rest of the country thinks about our program.

Princeton won a ton of titles a long time ago too, would you go around touting Princeton's glorious football past as a leg to stand on?

Yes, I would. I would also tout that George Washington attacked the British on school grounds and that a cannon ball ripped through a picture of their general from none other than James Monroe's artillery and it was a victory. I might even mention they are an Ivy League school. Lots of history at that school.

Yes, I would. I would also tout that George Washington attacked the British on school grounds and that a cannon ball ripped through a picture of their general from none other than James Monroe's artillery and it was a victory. I might even mention they are an Ivy League school. Lots of history at that school.

Fair enough, that's why I asked. At least we don't contradict ourselves.

We honestly wonder how you guys can take pride in something that happened well before you were born when your team has sucked so much for the past 50 or so odd years.

I honestly wonder how you can take pride in your mom, when she has sucked so much **** for the past 50 or so odd years.

Oh, and I ****** your mom.

If you're fine re-living the glory days of national championships before you were born, go for it. I would like to celebrate a recent championship. Everything outside of the last 10 years or so is irrelevant to everyone around the country unless it is your hometown team. Can you name who won the National Title 15 years ago? Or who won the Big Ten 20 years ago? People aren't going to respect the Gophers when the last championship they won was 50 years ago

If you're fine re-living the glory days of national championships before you were born, go for it. I would like to celebrate a recent championship. Everything outside of the last 10 years or so is irrelevant to everyone around the country unless it is your hometown team. Can you name who won the National Title 15 years ago? Or who won the Big Ten 20 years ago? People aren't going to respect the Gophers when the last championship they won was 50 years ago

No problem - Tennessee won the nation title 15 years ago (1998). Ohio State and Wisconsin were co-champions of the Big Ten 20 years ago (1993). Many people remember these things.

Of course I want more recent championships, but history is important too. The reason Badger fans don't think it's important is because 95% of the important things they've ever done have been in the last 20 years. If the situation was reversed (they had great teams a long time ago but very little recent success), they'd be talking about all of their Big Ten and national titles all the time.

It's all but officially off the table with Baylor winning last night.

ESPN won't turn down the opportunity to see a top-5 Baylor take on a top-15 (or maybe even top-10) Oklahoma State. Between now and when the decision will be made, Baylor has no games left while Oklahoma State plays Kansas.

Yeah, even if OkSt were to somehow lose and take away a little bit of the luster of the game (ie the game has no conference title implications), I still think a #5 Baylor team playing a (likely still ranked) OkSt team would look better than MN vs WI come next Tuesday morning (or whenever they decide where to go). The ONLY thing going for us is that they look at the risk factor for the game and decide MN vs WI is better. Consider that Baylor plays Texas Tech next weekend and OkSt plays Texas. Neither are sure wins and a loss by either team could take away the luster. Whereas if MN wins, they're idle next Saturday and can't drop down if ranked (at least not significantly), and Wisconsin plays Indiana. Add in the Kill and resurgent Gopher storyline and you do have something there. Plus it's also possible ESPN may want to save a Baylor Gameday for the Dec 7 showdown with the Longhorns (who could easily have 0 or 1 conference losses by then and Baylor playing for a NCG appearance).

But yeah, chances look bleak.

He's the most worthless poster on this board. I know I've not been around nearly as long as him but I really wish he'd go away. It's embarrassing.

I could post like you and call other Gopher fans dense. I have absolutely no patience for badger trolls on this board.

No problem - Tennessee won the nation title 15 years ago (1998). Ohio State and Wisconsin were co-champions of the Big Ten 20 years ago (1993). Many people remember these things.

Of course I want more recent championships, but history is important too. The reason Badger fans don't think it's important is because 95% of the important things they've ever done have been in the last 20 years. If the situation was reversed (they had great teams a long time ago but very little recent success), they'd be talking about all of their Big Ten and national titles all the time.

You're probably right and history is important. But for a program to hang it's hat on it's history I feel like it needs injectors of relevancy throughout the years. Notre Dame still talks Rockne but they've also had a national title 89 and a title game appearance (last year) with a smattering of BCS games over the past decade. Same goes for Alabama, OSU, USC. These programs talk about all their history but they're propped up by more recent success as well. Without it people roll their eyes. Many still do at Notre Dame who they claim haven't been actually relevant for a long time and thus we need to stop talking about Notre Dame, particularly before last season and even with last year people say it's a fluke. I've seen this opinion on this very message board which I find a bit puzzling.

He's the most worthless poster on this board. I know I've not been around nearly as long as him but I really wish he'd go away. It's embarrassing.

U.U. is one of the best posters here. You seemingly just started posting yesterday and are already toward the summit of the obnoxiousness heap.

You're probably right and history is important. But for a program to hang it's hat on it's history I feel like it needs injectors of relevancy throughout the years. Notre Dame still talks Rockne but they've also had a national title 89 and a title game appearance (last year) with a smattering of BCS games over the past decade. Same goes for Alabama, OSU, USC. These programs talk about all their history but they're propped up by more recent success as well. Without it people roll their eyes. Many still do at Notre Dame who they claim haven't been actually relevant for a long time and thus we need to stop talking about Notre Dame, particularly before last season and even with last year people say it's a fluke. I've seen this opinion on this very message board which I find a bit puzzling.

Notre Dame has been invited to BCD bowl games it had absolutely no reason to be playing in. Their bowl losing streak (and the way they lost) was puke-worthy. Kelly has a decent thing going and last year I believe an undefeated season warranted the title game appearance (and losing to Alabama is nothing to be ridiculed based on how they have performed in NC games). But, prior to 2012, Notre Dame absolutely deserved the claims of being over-hyped and over-rated (in the polls). Saying they've backed up a storied history with 'recent' championship in 1989 is laughable if you were just asking who won title games 15 years ago and BT championships 20 years ago as if they don't really matter anymore.

We are not, and likely will never be, OSU or Alabama or USC. Had we made some difference decisions in the mid to late 60s regarding our athletic department and the metro area didn't see an influx of professional teams, things might be different. I've accepted the fact that even a rock-solid coach, giant fanbase, consistent success and Rose Bowl appearances will likely not vault us to a helmet school status level (see: Wisconsin). Even an influx of hundreds of millions in cash to attract the best and fastest talent and coaches may not even be enough to win national titles even if you're in the discussion each year (see: Oregon). That's fine. I will absolutely take winning a Big Ten title ~ 1x per decade with us being in the mix for is 2-3 times more. We keep a solid rotation of talented players that fit a system and every so often the schedule and/or roster align and we make a great run. We're not local laughing stocks and we get some attention nationally, meaning we may come into a season ranked instead of having to win 7 games before even being thrown a vote. But to say we're not OSU or Alabama and therefore a failure is ridiculous.

Actually, it would make great press. ESPN likes to have human interest stories. Talking about our Championships 50-years ago would be a great start and then segway into the futility we've had (there could be some great film clips of the Brewster years along with a few others thrown in), then pan to Jerry Kill and his quest to change things. It quite honestly would make good TV.

Yes, people don't care about it now, but if framed just right, it would be a great storyline. Everyone loves a comeback or an underdog. This would suffice for both.

This one would be easy to write.

If by this you mean one of the most... pro gopher, hilarious, and entertaining, then yeah, you're right.

To who??? And, dismissing Gopher history is not embarrassing?

U.U. is one of the best posters here. You seemingly just started posting yesterday and are already toward the summit of the obnoxiousness heap.

If by this you mean one of the most... pro gopher, hilarious, and entertaining, then yeah, you're right.

I gotta admit...I'm tearing up a little in my office.

Free internet hugs to all!

a1214.gif

See, I guess longevity counts for something. I've yet to see him make a single post that is part of a conversation about football. Just one line snipes at people. What have I done that's obnoxious? Called you out for not actually knowing what a straw man is? Sorry, I guess.

Much, MUCH closer to this than "worthless". If we're not allowed to make a little "misstep" once and awhile just shut the damn thing down.

Now, let's just hope they hammer Penn State so this thread can keep going on!

Well, the "hammer" Penn State part at least. :eek:

See, I guess longevity counts for something. I've yet to see him make a single post that is part of a conversation about football. Just one line snipes at people. What have I done that's obnoxious? Called you out for not actually knowing what a straw man is? Sorry, I guess.

You will quickly find out that if you blindly follow the administration and cheer on each and every decision and never say anything critical, then you will be considered "one of the best posters."

If you are critical of the team then you are considered a bad fan and are worse than satan himself. For instance, I am widely considered a ******bag by all of the happy go lucky's on this board.

You will quickly find out that if you blindly follow the administration and cheer on each and every decision and never say anything critical, then you will be considered "one of the best posters."

If you are critical of the team then you are considered a bad fan and are worse than satan himself. For instance, I am widely considered a ******bag by all of the happy go lucky's on this board.

You know that's not true afurry, most of us didn't even know you were shooting for it. :cool:

I think the opinion of you, as you stated, is because you took your profile pic of you and your gal down and replaced it with Goldy. Other posters can no longer get all their internet needs fulfilled from just logging on to GH. Jealousy!!!

I think the opinion of you, as you stated, is because you took your profile pic of you and your gal down and replaced it with Goldy. Other posters can no longer get all their internet needs fulfilled from just logging on to GH. Jealousy!!!

Haha that was a mistake on my part. I couldn't get a hang of the Tapatalk iPhone app and it kept changing my profile picture to my twitter profile pic and it would take forever for me to notice. I never did quite figure out how I fixed it, but I did somehow.

What have I done that's obnoxious?

Started posting here (too much too soon) and then almost immediately started calling out longtime posters when you clearly haven't a clue.

Called you out for not actually knowing what a straw man is? Sorry, I guess.

I know exactly what a straw man is, Professor. I'm smart. He claimed I made arguments that I didn't. That is the textbook definition of a straw man.

No, people who criticize every single f*cking thing the U does are rightly considered d*uchebags. I don't consider you in that group.

Many posters are relentlessly negative and then couch it as being "realistic". No, it's not realistic. It's being a troll and/or a do*chebag.

No, people who criticize every single f*cking thing the U does are rightly considered d*uchebags. I don't consider you in that group.

Many posters are relentlessly negative and then couch it as being "realistic". No, it's not realistic. It's being a troll and/or a do*chebag.

Me being considered a dbag was more of an exaggeration. It was a poor attempt at a joke. I would hope only a select few have me in that group :)

Becky fans and " history " ? If you fired off the long standing " Who is buried in Grant's tomb "? You would get several different answers from the droids in Beckyland.

Oh yes, Gameday! Two things to note relative to previous points. One, ABC will fulfill its obligation to air a PAC-12 game in prime time next weekend while the Gophers are on a bye. Two, Oregon's loss all but rules out Gameday for the Ducks' game at Arizona.

The odds on favorite now has to be Baylor at Oklahoma State. AP #5 Baylor will climb in the rankings after Oregon's loss and its own decisive win over Oklahoma. AP #15 Oklahoma State will definitely climb and is a virtual lock to beat Kansas this weekend. Both have tough games next weekend though. Baylor hosts Texas Tech while Oklahoma State goes to Texas. That could monkey wrench what looks like a clear cut gameday set up. However, if the teams win next weekend, I see ESPN going there even though Fox will have the game itself.

Wisconsin-Minnesota, Texas A&M-LSU, and Cal-Stanford (an uncompetitive game, but a chance to showcase Stanford which should be Top 4 or 5) look like the other possibilities. I think our game is a dark horse, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility if we take care of business versus Penn State.

Top Bottom