Chances ESPN college gameday at TCF Bank Stadium

We win on saturday, i think gameday gives us a sniff. Yea there are some tough SEC and BIGXII games to compete with, but the jerry kill and resurgent gophers, most played rivalry game of all time, is far and away the best story, and a good story sells advertising dollars.
also, THERE IS A GIANT AXE AT STAKE! why wouldn't you want to be apart of that. I would think that gameday would love to be all over this restored rivalry.

I like our chances, and OMG what a monster recruiting tool that would be.

Count me among those who don't think there's a shot in heck of College Gameday coming here, but it would be pretty funny to see Lee Corso put on Goldy's head and spin it...

I like the most played rivalry angle. It's also the last chance to get this game because they'll never select it on rivalry weekend. Having the axe on set would be a draw. Also don't forget that probably 1/3 of ESPN's eyeballs are in the big ten footprint.

I stopped reading here.

What are we jealous of? The Badgers have been good my entire life. I've been to Pasadena. I've seen Heisman winners. I've watched us beat a top ranked team. We aren't jealous of anything about your program. If anything, we feel bad for you guys because you're our number 1 rivals but it's not much of a rivalry.

We honestly wonder how you guys can take pride in something that happened well before you were born when your team has sucked so much for the past 50 or so odd years.

Trust me, we aren't jealous AT ALL. I was born in the 80s. Started following college football in the 90s. So for me, yes, college football started in the 90s. I really don't care what happened before I was born. I understand the older folks appreciate Wisconsin football a lot more now because of it, but I've always cheered for a winner (except in a few .500 down years)

But since you guys love your national titles so much, I'd love to hear stories from those seasons. Go on! I'm listening...

(I should mention I understand that you guys on here are the Gopher die-hards and not representative of the whole fanbase. Most Gopher fans don't give a **** about the national titles)

I think it was the Pioneer Press that had a reference to Samantha Ponder doing a long interview with Jerry Kill that will air on GameDay. The Gophers become more interesting as the number of wins goes up, but the human interest story trumps all.

To MPLSBucky:

What are the odds that Wisconsin will ever win a national championship in football?
I'll answer that - not good.
History shows that Minnesota has been more successful than Wisconsin in the past.
All indications are that Minnesota can be more successful in the future.
All it takes is someone who can lead the administration (Donna Shalala) and a great coach/AD (Barry Alvarez).
Some Wisconsin fans might be inclined to post here because they are hearing footsteps. Most Wisconsin fans are aware that history is important if you don't want to repeat the bad stuff over and over.

From a book call "Tales of from the Wisconsin Badgers":

Joe Rudolph remembers what is was like. The Bell Vernon, Pennsylvania, native recalls the early days of the Barry Alvarez era at Wisconsin. "When I first got to Wisconsin (in 1990) nobody would wear their issued gear," Rudolph says. "We were made fun of by everyone, even some of the professors. People would talk about how the games weren't any good, but that at least they could enjoy the band."

There is a really nice, easy to read book out now. It is titled, "History of the Wisconsin's Roads to National Championships".

I assume most Badger fans are also Packer fans. If that is the case, and if the Vikings won three NFC North titles in a row, but never won a Super Bowl, I wonder if those same Badger fans would say that the Vikings are a better franchise because of recent success, and all of Green Bay's Super Bowls are in the past.

I assume most Badger fans are also Packer fans. If that is the case, and if the Vikings won three NFC North titles in a row, but never won a Super Bowl, I wonder if those same Badger fans would say that the Vikings are a better franchise because of recent success, and all of Green Bay's Super Bowls are in the past.

Doubtful.

I mean...that depends. Are the Packers also going 50 straight years without a division crown during that time?

As a Packer and Gopher fan, I always find it amusing when Badger fans rip Gopher fans for being proud of their 1960's titles. The Packer fan base did the exact same thing until they finally won another in 1996.

Does Jerry Kill mention National Championships on recruiting trips? Honestly. What does he say if (when) a recruit responds with "OK, what about the 70 years since then?"

Or 53. Same difference, right? How long ago was Becky's last national championship?

And yes, the national champions do show when the last B1G title was. They were at nearly the same time, no? And the numbers on the façade are located at the same end of the stadium, so nobody would ever see one and not the other.

2cpx4xy.jpg

Did this on my computer. Took me about two minutes. Clear view of national championships (incomplete as the stadium was under construction, though also funny because the two shown are more than Becky has) with no mention or view of the Big Ten championships whatsoever. What else ya got, brain wizard?

Trust me, we aren't jealous AT ALL. I was born in the 80s. Started following college football in the 90s. So for me, yes, college football started in the 90s. I really don't care what happened before I was born. I understand the older folks appreciate Wisconsin football a lot more now because of it, but I've always cheered for a winner (except in a few .500 down years)

You're young and stupid. You will learn to appreciate history as you get older. It's easy to discount everything that happened before you were born. But it still happened nonetheless, whether it's personally relevant to you or not.

But since you guys love your national titles so much, I'd love to hear stories from those seasons. Go on! I'm listening...

There are plenty of people who can tell stories from Minnesota's national championship seasons. Where are the people to recount the stories of Becky's?

Most Gopher fans don't give a **** about the national titles)

HAHAHAHA. 100% WRONG!!!!

Even if they did, do you think any number of division crowns would trump a Super Bowl (much less several)?

Of course not. But I wouldn't say that winning the Big Ten in college football is the same as winning a division crown in the NFL. I would place a lot more weight on the former. Regardless, this is a stupid conversation. I respect the Gophers' natties. I think some of them would have never been given to the Gophers in modern day football due to multiple losses, bowl game losses, etc., but it was a different time and those titles are still titles.

All that being said, as a football fan at age 25, I'd much rather watch current success at Wisconsin's level than point to the previous domination of my football program like Minnesota. I'm sure most Gopher fans would agree. I also think Jerry Kill is doing a great job and that Minnesota could contend for BIG Championships every few years under his watch. The division matchups are surely favorable for both programs.

Good luck against PSU. Would love to have both of us in the Top 25 come 11/23.

ToddisGahd said:
I mean...that depends. Are the Packers also going 50 straight years without a division crown during that time?

There are 4 teams in an NFL division. 16 in a conference. With the Big Ten going to 14 teams, winning the Big Ten is much more similar to winning the NFC.

Who's upset?

Are you just on here to troll? If you look towards the top of this page, you'll see something that says GOPHERS. If you just want to bash on them and brag about how Wisconsin is better, please leave now

........ I'm sure most Gopher fans would agree. I also think Jerry Kill is doing a great job and that Minnesota could contend for BIG Championships every few years under his watch. The division matchups are surely favorable for both programs.

Good luck against PSU. Would love to have both of us in the Top 25 come 11/23.

Let's just leave it at that.

I too would like to see the success of both programs. It's a great rivalry and Badger Fans are more sophisticated than Hawkeye Fans.

Gophers may have something very special going this year. I think Badger Fans having experienced it in the late '90s should tip their hats to the Gophers. It really is fun!

There is a really nice, easy to read book out now. It is titled, "History of the Wisconsin's Roads to National Championships".

I hear it is a real tear jerker...

And is threatening "French Victories in World War II" for shortest book ever...

So....is this still the thread for ESPN GameDay coming to Minneapolis or is this now a packer thread?

Sure, go ahead and reread the post that clearly states "heisman winners" then get back to me if Ron Dayne is, in fact, multiple people.

Ah gotcha. Didn't realize you were being nitpicky. I thought you might have just forgotten. Nevermind.

I wonder if Badger fans also care about WWII vets and the stories of how our armed forces helped win that war. Or if Notre Dame fans get a feeling of pride when people talk about the glory years of Ara Parseghian.

Nobody here is taking away from the recent success of the Badgers (well, except for the backing your way in to the Rose Bowl last year with 2 teams having finished above you in your own division). Absolutely an amazing run and prime example of what a school in a talent-poor state can do with a solid foundation. But to act like national titles from back in the day don't matter, that the wins we have over your team that give us the all-time-edge (STILL), etc etc etc don't matter is pure lunacy. I'm proud. I wasn't alive but I love that we did win those titles.

Back to Gameday coming to campus...

+1

Updated with the lines and sorted from most favorable to least favorable.

Here's who everyone plays in front of us in the Coaches Poll:
28 Houston +11 @ UCF
12 LSU +11@ Alabama
29 BYU +7 @ Wisconsin
18 UCLA -1 @ Arizona (Arizona has a vote and could leapfrog Gophers)
KSU @ 23 TT -3
25 UND -5.5 @ Pitt
26 Texas -7 @ W. Virginia
24 ASU -7 @ Utah
BYU @ 22 Wisconsin -7
Virginia Tech @ [/B]14 Miami -7[/B]
17 Fresno St. -10 @ Wyoming
Houston @ 21 UCF -11
Miss. St. @ 13 A&M -18.5
16 Louisville -28 @ Connecticut
App. St. @ 27 Georgia -31.5
Idle 20 Northern Illinois
Idle 19 MSU
Idle 15 South Carolina

It's all but officially off the table with Baylor winning last night.

ESPN won't turn down the opportunity to see a top-5 Baylor take on a top-15 (or maybe even top-10) Oklahoma State. Between now and when the decision will be made, Baylor has no games left while Oklahoma State plays Kansas.

Top Bottom