Chances ESPN college gameday at TCF Bank Stadium

College gameday did ditch the #16 Washington v #2 Oregon game and the #17 florida v #10 LSU game just to go to the #12 oklahoma v texas game just because of the history of the rivalry, and possibly the possibility of Mack Brown getting fired, the week before they chose #4 OSU-#16 Northwestern game over #5 stanford-#15 Washington and over #25 Maryland over #8 Florida state, if we are both 8-2 when we play each other it is definitely a possibility even if there are better matchups, this is the most played matchup in the history of the FBS after all, and the Jerry Kill holywood storyline as well

College gameday did ditch the #16 Washington v #2 Oregon game and the #17 florida v #10 LSU game just to go to the #12 oklahoma v texas game just because of the history of the rivalry, and possibly the possibility of Mack Brown getting fired, the week before they chose #4 OSU-#16 Northwestern game over #5 stanford-#15 Washington and over #25 Maryland over #8 Florida state, if we are both 8-2 when we play each other it is definitely a possibility even if there are better matchups, this is the most played matchup in the history of the FBS after all, and the Jerry Kill holywood storyline as well

We would be 7-2 when they announced the destination.

Even though there's basically no chance of it happening, let's look at the scenarios that could lead to it happening:

1: Gameday location for 11/23 is announced on 11/16 (certainty - they announce the week before)
2: Gophers are 8-2 following wins over Indiana and Penn State, likely ranked around 20
3: Badgers are 8-2 following wins over Iowa and BYU, likely ranked around 10-15

Other potential ranked vs. ranked games that week (games between teams receiving votes in this week's polls), ranked in order of "sexiness":
Texas A&M (top 10-15) at LSU (top 20, unless they beat Alabama) (SEC)
Baylor (top 10) at Oklahoma State (top 20) (Big XII)
Arizona State (top 20) at UCLA (top 20) (Pac 12)
Missouri (top 20) at Ole Miss (top 20) (SEC)
Oregon (top 5) at Arizona (top 25) (Pac 12)

Secondary consideration: Where will they be the week before? Typically Gameday doesn't like to go to the same conference two weeks in a row.

Likely destinations:
Stanford at USC (Pac 12)
Baylor vs Texas Tech (Big XII)

So, lets say they choose Baylor vs Texas Tech - probably the sexiest matchup of the week for 11/16, assuming neither team stumbles going in. That rules out, in all likelihood, Baylor at Okie State as a destination.

So the likely choices for that week would be:
Texas A&M (8-2, top 10-15) at LSU (7-3, top 20, unless they beat Alabama)
Wisconsin (8-2, top 15) at Minnesota (8-2, top 20)
Missouri (9-1, top 15) at Ole Miss (7-3, top 20)
Arizona State (8-2, top 20) at UCLA (8-2, top 20)
Oregon (10-0, top 5) at Arizona (8-2, top 25)

We would need A&M or LSU to stumble, for sure, to move them down in the "sexiness" rankings. But it's not totally outside the realm of possibility, if everything falls out right.

Replying to my above analysis, Baylor vs Texas Tech is basically out for the 11/16 Gameday now that the Red Raiders lost to Okie State.

With that in mind, Baylor vs Oklahoma State (along with A&M vs LSU) will be above our game in the pecking order, if Baylor (game vs Oklahoma this week) and Oklahoma State (game vs Kansas) win this week. Both Big XII teams would have one loss when the 11/23 Gameday is chosen, making it a virtual lock. Unfortunately, barring miracles, I think we're out.

We never had a shot, surprised so many people don't realize that. The only relevant team in the B1G right now is tOSU. There is absolutely no reason to have a Gameday in Minnesota. Literally the rest of the country would be saying "what the ****?"

We never had a shot, surprised so many people don't realize that. The only relevant team in the B1G right now is tOSU. There is absolutely no reason to have a Gameday in Minnesota. Literally the rest of the country would be saying "what the ****?"

Agreed. Fargo is much more relevant.

Agreed. Fargo is much more relevant.

You are really going to compare that one-off Gameday stop at a FCS school to the Gophers chances? That was just a publicity stunt to try to keep the little guys in the FCS interested in the Gameday coverage.

LET'S BEAT PENN STATE. THEN, WE CAN WORRY ABOUT GAMEDAY.

#BEATPENNSTATE

I think it's a long shot, but they could play the longest rivalry angle and make the trip. The freezing temps and the fact that we'll probably ranked only 24 or 25 mean it will probably not happen.

Sadly, it's unlikely the Gophers will be ranked when the game is selected. They are about 30th right now so would need 5-6 losses from the bold teams below.

Here's who everyone plays in front of us in the Coaches Poll:
BYU @ Wisconsin
Houston @ UCF
App. St. @ Georgia
Texas @ W. Virginia
UND @ Pitt
ASU @ Utah
KSU @ TT
BYU @ WI
Houston @ UCF
Idle Northern Illinois
Idle MSU
UCLA @ Arizona (Arizona has a vote and could leapfrog Gophers)
Fresno St. @ Wyoming
Miss. St. @ A&M
- veryone else playing has one loss or less

I think there are at least 2-3 losses there and perhaps as many as 6-7. Putting 50 on PSU would help!!

ESPN loves a story.

Looking at the turnaround, the Coach Kill health story, and the long rivalry; all those factors might come to the U's advantage in bringing Gameday to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Me all I'm focused on is just beating Penn State. If we can do that then we can start talking about gameday coming here.

This may have already been mentioned but GameDay announced today that they would be covering the Alabama vs LSU game so I really doubt they will cover the A&M vs LSU game in 2 weeks since they have already covered both of those 2 teams this season.

+1 for the possibility that GameDay is on campus in 2 weeks after a big win this weekend vs the lions!

This may have already been mentioned but GameDay announced today that they would be covering the Alabama vs LSU game so I really doubt they will cover the A&M vs LSU game in 2 weeks since they have already covered both of those 2 teams this season.

+1 for the possibility that GameDay is on campus in 2 weeks after a big win this weekend vs the lions!

I think the only big consideration in terms of teams is that they rarely do the same team or conference two weeks in a row.

Last year they had Florida/A&M and Florida/Tennessee on back-to-back weeks, and in 2010 they had Penn State/OSU and Illinois/Northwestern back-to-back, but those are the only games - in conference season - to feature the same conference on back-to-back weeks in the last 4.5 seasons. And those did have interesting circumstances (A&M's first SEC game in 2012, game at Wrigley Field in 2010).

In terms of multiplying teams, last year they were at an ND game 3 times, they had Oregon 3 times in 2011.

Anyhow, it's mostly moot because barring miracles, they'll be at Baylor-Oklahoma State for a top-15 Big XII showdown. Would be surprised if it's not that way, particularly if Baylor beats Oklahoma on Thursday. If the Bears lose, there's an outside chance...

Other potential ranked vs. ranked games that week (games between teams receiving votes in this week's polls), ranked in order of "sexiness":
Texas A&M (top 10-15) at LSU (top 20, unless they beat Alabama) (SEC)
Baylor (top 10) at Oklahoma State (top 20) (Big XII)
Arizona State (top 20) at UCLA (top 20) (Pac 12)
Missouri (top 20) at Ole Miss (top 20) (SEC)
Oregon (top 5) at Arizona (top 25) (Pac 12)

They've been to the spots in red. It's down to threee games. Gophers need to get ranked this Sunday. Root for losses for OSU, Baylor, Ole Miss, & Mizzou.

Ya, I would say Baylor vs. Oklahoma State is pretty much a lock.

LSU plays Alabama in Tuscaloosa while the game against Texas A&M is in Baton Rouge. So Gameday wouldn't be repeating sites in that case. LSU also was featured in Athens against Georgia. Oregon was featured twice in three weeks, at Washington and home to UCLA. Clemson and Georgia have two appearances apiece this season. Gameday just covered Florida State twice in three weeks, at Clemson and then home to Miami. Alabama is hosting Gameday this weekend and was a visitor at Texas A&M earlier in the season.

I'd love it if Gameday came here, but turning down a chance to show Johnny Football at LSU with that atmosphere may be hard to resist, not to mention the Baylor-Oklahoma State match up.

There's one more thing to take into account, the same weekend we host Wisconsin, Oregon hosts Arizona and Arizona State is at UCLA. ABC is contractually obligated to air a PAC-12 game in prime time this season, but hasn't yet. There's a decent chance it will be one of those two games. If so, it makes sense for that to be Gameday since Brent and Herbie would likely call the game and it would save Herbie a long plane ride.

Maybe Sam Ponder can do help us by saying she wants to sleep in her own bed!!!!!

I tend to think we have 2 chances of gameday coming to MN. Slim and none. They don't respect the gophers enough to care even if they were ranked. They didn't when the gophers were unbeaten, ranked and had Michigan coming to the dome(we all know what happened in that game) so I have no reason to believe they would come to MN this time around.

Are we sure this Baylor/Oklahoma St game wouldn't be a "fox game of the week" type of game?

Fox has been showing prime time games this year.

Are we sure this Baylor/Oklahoma St game wouldn't be a "fox game of the week" type of game?

This seems to be a very good point.

I tend to think we have 2 chances of gameday coming to MN. Slim and none. They don't respect the gophers enough to care even if they were ranked. They didn't when the gophers were unbeaten, ranked and had Michigan coming to the dome(we all know what happened in that game) so I have no reason to believe they would come to MN this time around.

To be fair, that was a Friday night game.

They probably provide some preference to games on their networks, but they've set precedent that they're not afraid to go to a game on another network. This year they've been to three (soon to be four) games that weren't on the ESPN family, including three on CBS and one on FOX.

The Michigan game in 2003 was on a Friday night due to the Twins needing the Dome for playoff baseball on Saturday, ruling us out as a Gameday host that weekend. Even if the game was on Saturday, Gameday went to Tallahasse that day for the game between #2 Miami and #5 Florida State. That was one Gameday had to do. It would have been no slight against us.

I think you guys should worry about filling up the stadium before even considering gameday coming here. They like a scene full of college football fans in the background. I don't think the 30,000 Gopher fans (plus 15,000 away fans) will cut it.

Top Bottom