Chances ESPN college gameday at TCF Bank Stadium

gophersfan

Reaction score
I am taking 1 game at a time, but what the chances that College Gameday could be at TCF Bank Stadium for Minnesota and Wisconsin, if both teams are 8-2. Yes, i taking 1 game at a time and was just throwing this out there.

There are really only two other rank vs rank games that week in Baylor vs OKST and LSU vs Texas A&M. I guess anything is possible. Would they set the stage in Northrop or in front of the Stadium? One game at a time though.

If LSU is at A&M, that would probably take it. Even if we are 8-2, we'd still only likely be ranked mid to high teens (only 1 win over a ranked opponent). The only way we pass them up is if we're still in the Legends hunt. Even if we're 8-2 by then, it might be more or less decided by then. I just don't see it happening. I will say though, an 8-2 Gopher team given Kill's personal struggles makes for a good story, and UMN v UW is the most played rivalry...

That said, I would think they'd stage in front of Northrop, to be honest. Trees in the background, Coffman way back, Northrop right there. McNamara plaza has some good stadium views but lots of ugly with the construction and multiple streets right there.

One game at a time though, and still unlikely.

NDSU hosts South Dakota that day, so obviously GameDay will be in Fargo.

If LSU is at A&M, that would probably take it. Even if we are 8-2, we'd still only likely be ranked mid to high teens (only 1 win over a ranked opponent). The only way we pass them up is if we're still in the Legends hunt. Even if we're 8-2 by then, it might be more or less decided by then. I just don't see it happening. I will say though, an 8-2 Gopher team given Kill's personal struggles makes for a good story, and UMN v UW is the most played rivalry...

That said, I would think they'd stage in front of Northrop, to be honest. Trees in the background, Coffman way back, Northrop right there. McNamara plaza has some good stadium views but lots of ugly with the construction and multiple streets right there.

I would bet either in front of Northrop or Coffman.

BbB guys.

Winning on the road as a double digit underdog vs Northwestern, that's a brick.

Beating a ranked team to give them their first conference loss, (while also being a double digit dog) that's a brick.

Going on the road to a place we have lost 14 of 16 games and winning, that would be a brick. We probably will be the underdogs again versus Indiana, and it will be the 2nd straight week we have played a team coming off a bye. The Hoosiers are plenty for our plate right now.

I pray to the football gods that you not punish us Mn faithful for our folly in thinking that we can think about 8-2 right now...please do not punish us with 50 more years of futility!

I'll say 2%, since that is what is thrown around on this board all too often.

Actually, I take back my 2% comment. Since the gameday crew would have to announce where they are going before the Gophers actually play Penn State, there is effectively a 0% chance.

Why would Gameday go to a game where neither team will be in first place, not even within their own division?

Gameday will not come to TCF until we have contended in the B1G for a few seasons. Look at Northwestern as an example. They had to string together 3 or 4 pretty good seasons including some decent bowl game appearances before they got a Gameday stop this year. And they even had alumni at ESPN to help get it done (Mike Greenberg, Michael Wilbon, and Brent Musberger).

BbB guys.

Winning on the road as a double digit underdog vs Northwestern, that's a brick.

Beating a ranked team to give them their first conference loss, (while also being a double digit dog) that's a brick.

Going on the road to a place we have lost 14 of 16 games and winning, that would be a brick. We probably will be the underdogs again versus Indiana, and it will be the 2nd straight week we have played a team coming off a bye. The Hoosiers are plenty for our plate right now.

Buddy, as long as we don't have to go out there and coach or play against the Hoosiers, we'll be fine. "Let 'um dream", it's been a long time. Oh, don't think Game Day is comming either way. :eek:

Gameday will not come to TCF until we have contended in the B1G for a few seasons. Look at Northwestern as an example. They had to string together 3 or 4 pretty good seasons including some decent bowl game appearances before they got a Gameday stop this year. And they even had alumni at ESPN to help get it done (Mike Greenberg, Michael Wilbon, and Brent Musberger).

Proud alum of Shattuck (now Shattuck St.Mary's) Academy in Faribault!

The only reason we might have something is cause of the Jerry Kill angle, that's a good story to tell, no doubt about it. So perhaps next seasons if we show signs of being in the mix, we might have enough to warrant a trip. Not this year though.

Even though there's basically no chance of it happening, let's look at the scenarios that could lead to it happening:

1: Gameday location for 11/23 is announced on 11/16 (certainty - they announce the week before)
2: Gophers are 8-2 following wins over Indiana and Penn State, likely ranked around 20
3: Badgers are 8-2 following wins over Iowa and BYU, likely ranked around 10-15

Other potential ranked vs. ranked games that week (games between teams receiving votes in this week's polls), ranked in order of "sexiness":
Texas A&M (top 10-15) at LSU (top 20, unless they beat Alabama) (SEC)
Baylor (top 10) at Oklahoma State (top 20) (Big XII)
Arizona State (top 20) at UCLA (top 20) (Pac 12)
Missouri (top 20) at Ole Miss (top 20) (SEC)
Oregon (top 5) at Arizona (top 25) (Pac 12)

Secondary consideration: Where will they be the week before? Typically Gameday doesn't like to go to the same conference two weeks in a row.

Likely destinations:
Stanford at USC (Pac 12)
Baylor vs Texas Tech (Big XII)

So, lets say they choose Baylor vs Texas Tech - probably the sexiest matchup of the week for 11/16, assuming neither team stumbles going in. That rules out, in all likelihood, Baylor at Okie State as a destination.

So the likely choices for that week would be:
Texas A&M (8-2, top 10-15) at LSU (7-3, top 20, unless they beat Alabama)
Wisconsin (8-2, top 15) at Minnesota (8-2, top 20)
Missouri (9-1, top 15) at Ole Miss (7-3, top 20)
Arizona State (8-2, top 20) at UCLA (8-2, top 20)
Oregon (10-0, top 5) at Arizona (8-2, top 25)

We would need A&M or LSU to stumble, for sure, to move them down in the "sexiness" rankings. But it's not totally outside the realm of possibility, if everything falls out right.

I pray for the sanity of some of our fans should we ever be lucky enough to seriously be considered in the Big 10 title hunt late in the season.

Like I say in Hoosiers
Theres a, um tradition in tournament play- not
talk about the next step until youve climbed the one in front of
you. Im sure going to the state finals is beyond your wildest
dreams, so lets just keep it right there

RailBaronYarr, once again I agree with your Gameday "urban planning" scenario. It would be great to get the iconic shot of TCF Bank Stadium in the background if the set were to be placed on the south end of the McNamara Alumni Center but crowd space would be limited with the border of Oak St and Washington Ave and the LRT line. Northrup Mall would have its largest crowd on hand since the Vietnam War protests if Gameday were to select that locale. Doubt we could get the city to close off Oak St. and have the set placed on the green space in front of Mariucci with the Bank imminently in the foreground.

Chances of gameday for Wisconsin game with 4 game winning streak on the line? Same as Blutarsky's GPA in Animal House - zero point zero.

Let's really get ahead of ourselves and start planning our trips to East Lansing for College Game Day and the B1G Legends Division on the line to end the season!!!!!

If I were a player or coach or trainer or in any way a part of the program, I'd be concerned. This is just a little workday day dreaming for someone with nothing better to do :)

Let's really get ahead of ourselves and start planning our trips to East Lansing for College Game Day and the B1G Legends Division on the line to end the season!!!!!

I'm game, that'd be an epic matchup, and coming off 5 straight wins, that'd be awesome :)

I get that people don't wanna look past Indiana, but I really don't think it hurts to just enjoy considering the possibilities for us after scoring a nice win and considering our remaining schedule. Of course all four games we're still probably underdogs (maybe not v. PSU, but the rest of them yes), but still, it's fun to think, "Hey, with a few breaks, this could be a truly special season"

Game Day?

To paraphrase the fictional Michael Corleone . . .

"They're dead to me now."

Anyway . . . As others have been saying - settle down and concentrate on beating Indiana.

To paraphrase the fictional Michael Corleone . . .

"They're dead to me now."

Anyway . . . As others have been saying - settle down and concentrate on beating Indiana.

As others have been saying - settle down because it doesn't matter what you and I concentrate on.

I doubt they would put it at Northrop considering it is all torn up right now.

Top Bottom