Brohm leaving?

I'd take our #10 ranking 2019 season over this year's Purdue accomplishments.
I'd give a slight edge to PJ but it really could be a toss up depending on what you value in terms of success. I know we'll disagree about it but that's fine.
Yeah, that is fine. PJ has beaten 3 ranked teams in 6-years. Tough for me to look past that. Sure he (typically) beats the bad teams, but that stat sounds pretty meh to me. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, that is fine. PJ has beaten 3 ranked teams in 6-years. Tough for me to look past that. Sure he (typically) beats the bad teams, but that stat sounds pretty meh to me. 🤷‍♂️

Brohm has beaten 7 teams that were ranked at the time they played compared to PJ's 3, but is it really that much more impressive? Two of those wins are against Minnesota and Illinois this season, neither are ranked currently.

If you go by teams that finished the season ranked, it's 4-2 in favor of Brohm. Two of those were wins were against Iowa who barely finished in the top 25 at 23 and 24.

Brohm has had success against Iowa, but has never beaten Wisconsin. He lost to both this season. He won the West outright this season, but needed 1 fewer win to do it compared to PJ's co-west championship in 2019. PJ owns the head to head which has been mentioned several times already.

Overall, they have had very similar success at each program over the last 6 years.

This thread got me curious, so I did a deep dive into Purdue football history.

No National Championships
tied for 1st in B1G in 2000, went to Rose Bowl. finished 2nd in '66, tied for 2nd in '79 and 2nd in '80.

'Best' seasons: 9-0 in 1943 - finished 5th in AP. //8-0 in 1929 // 7-0-1 in 1932

best sustained success:
1966 to 1969 - including 9-2 in '66 and Won Rose Bowl - 7th in AP. Bob Griese QB '66 & '67.
(MSU won B1G in '66 but did not go to Rose Bowl due to B1G "no repeat" policy)
1978-1980 under Jim Young. 20-3-1 in conference games. went 10-2 in '79, won Bluebonnet bowl
---(in '79, one of Purdue's 2 losses was to....MN)
1997-2000 under Joe Tiller. Tied for B1G title in 2000, finished 13th in AP. Drew Brees at QB

since 2003, Purdue has not finished a season in the AP Top-25.

Gophers certainly have more Natty's and big years, but from '66 to 2000, Purdue arguably had more success than MN during that time period.

Brohm has beaten 7 teams that were ranked at the time they played compared to PJ's 3, but is it really that much more impressive?
3 of Brohm’s wins were vs Top 5 teams, so yeh, to me that is much more impressive.

PJ has raised the level of MN football, but by winning games against bad teams and rarely against better teams. Brohm has done both at Purdue and won a B1G West title. I feel if this wasn’t a Gopher fan board that Brohm would have 90%+ of folks agreeing with me.

This thread got me curious, so I did a deep dive into Purdue football history.

No National Championships
tied for 1st in B1G in 2000, went to Rose Bowl. finished 2nd in '66, tied for 2nd in '79 and 2nd in '80.

'Best' seasons: 9-0 in 1943 - finished 5th in AP. //8-0 in 1929 // 7-0-1 in 1932

best sustained success:
1966 to 1969 - including 9-2 in '66 and Won Rose Bowl - 7th in AP. Bob Griese QB '66 & '67.
(MSU won B1G in '66 but did not go to Rose Bowl due to B1G "no repeat" policy)
1978-1980 under Jim Young. 20-3-1 in conference games. went 10-2 in '79, won Bluebonnet bowl
---(in '79, one of Purdue's 2 losses was to....MN)
1997-2000 under Joe Tiller. Tied for B1G title in 2000, finished 13th in AP. Drew Brees at QB

since 2003, Purdue has not finished a season in the AP Top-25.

Gophers certainly have more Natty's and big years, but from '66 to 2000, Purdue arguably had more success than MN during that time period.
There is no question in ny mind that from 1970-2010 most if not all would consider Purdue a better job than Minnesota and from tiller - hazel a far better job

Yep, that tells the whole story 🙄
Why does it hurt Gopher fans so much to admit Brohm has accomplished more than PJ? Lots of coaches have 🤷‍♂️
Because that statement is arguable at best?

I don't think any reasonable gopher fan would dispute that Brohm is a very good coach, and did a lot of good things at Purdue, but it's foolish to act like Brohm has hands down been better than PJ.

Brohm's regular season high win total at Purdue was 8. PJ has accomplished that 3 times. Brohm has a 4-8 season on his resume. He is 2 games over .500 at Purdue. He has lost to: a 4-8 Rutgers team, Eastern Michigan, Nevada, Rutgers again in 2020, Nebraska multiple times, he has a -24 point differential against PJ-coached teams. He has never beaten Wisconsin.

I say all this, not to discredit the great work that Brohm did at Purdue, but to point out that it's far from a clear cut case that he has accomplished more than PJ. Are many of us biased? Yes of course, but so is Spoofin.

People suddenly made winning the West no matter how weakly as the new standard because that's one of the last reasonable ones left. But PJ's Gophers have been generally better than Brohm's Boilers during their coinciding years.

Gone to Louisville. Met with his players today at 1:00 p.m.

3 of Brohm’s wins were vs Top 5 teams, so yeh, to me that is much more impressive.

PJ has raised the level of MN football, but by winning games against bad teams and rarely against better teams. Brohm has done both at Purdue and won a B1G West title. I feel if this wasn’t a Gopher fan board that Brohm would have 90%+ of folks agreeing with me.

Two of them were last year, and one was against the Iowa team that was ranked 2nd and finished 23rd. Yet they still finished behind the Gophers last year including the head to head loss. So that would make you feel better about last year?

I think if you're being honest and Brohm was our coach with the same results here as he had at Purdue, and PJ had the same results at Purdue as he has here, you would be frustrated that they beat two top 5 teams last season and didn't win the west, you would frustrated that he has never beaten Wisconsin, you would be frustrated that he keeps losing to PJ Fleck, and you would still probably be frustrated that even though he won a weak west and lost easily to Michigan in the title game, they still couldn't beat Iowa or Wisconsin this season.

I knew PJ was a great coach, but I never considered that he is undefeated against Purdue teams that beat top 5 teams in the same season. That is really impressive, nice job PJ.

Brohm's regular season high win total at Purdue was 8. PJ has accomplished that 3 times. Brohm has a 4-8 season on his resume. He is 2 games over .500 at Purdue. He has lost to: a 4-8 Rutgers team, Eastern Michigan, Nevada, Rutgers again in 2020, Nebraska multiple times, he has a -24 point differential against PJ-coached teams. He has never beaten Wisconsin.

I say all this, not to discredit the great work that Brohm did at Purdue, but to point out that it's far from a clear cut case that he has accomplished more than PJ. Are many of us biased? Yes of course, but so is Spoofin.
If Iowa had beat Nebraska this year it would be pretty clear cut who has had the better tenure between the Minnesota coach and Purdue coach IMO

They are both good coaches. Glad we have the one who hasn’t left yet

Two of them were last year, and one was against the Iowa team that was ranked 2nd and finished 23rd. Yet they still finished behind the Gophers last year including the head to head loss. So that would make you feel better about last year?

I think if you're being honest and Brohm was our coach with the same results here as he had at Purdue, and PJ had the same results at Purdue as he has here, you would be frustrated that they beat two top 5 teams last season and didn't win the west, you would frustrated that he has never beaten Wisconsin, you would be frustrated that he keeps losing to PJ Fleck, and you would still probably be frustrated that even though he won a weak west and lost easily to Michigan in the title game, they still couldn't beat Iowa or Wisconsin this season.
Yup. Both good neither perfect.
Anyone arguing the Brohm is clearly having more success is either lying or a fool.

If Iowa had beat Nebraska this year it would be pretty clear cut who has had the better tenure between the Minnesota coach and Purdue coach IMO

They are both good coaches. Glad we have the one who hasn’t left yet
Or if Nebraska doesn't blow that lead against Iowa last year.

Yep, that tells the whole story 🙄
Why does it hurt Gopher fans so much to admit Brohm has accomplished more than PJ? Lots of coaches have 🤷‍♂️
Why does it hurt your feelings so much when people don't buy your narrative?

Brohm is a good coach, but if he was better than PJ he would beat him more often. If I had to choose one to be my coach it would not be Brohm. You probably feel different, that is fine. But the case isn't nearly as open and shut as you pretend it to be.

Are you gonna go on another rant now about how "everyone around here is mean and won't let me criticize Fleck wah wah wah?" cause that is always a crowd pleaser ;)

They also gave Purdue a gift pass interference that kept that drive going in the first place, so not really.
The only Gopher PI on that drive was at the beginning of it on a 1st and 10. They got the 15 yards sure, but they marched down the field on that drive and threw a TD to the TE. Even Mason said it was an awful call.

You can click on the play-by-play from here: https://gophersports.com/sports/football/stats/2020/purdue/boxscore/13222 Then click on the 4th quarter and scroll down to their drive starting with 2:01 left.

The only Gopher PI on that drive was at the beginning of it on a 1st and 10. They got the 15 yards sure, but they marched down the field on that drive and threw a TD to the TE. Even Mason said it was an awful call.

You can click on the play-by-play from here: https://gophersports.com/sports/football/stats/2020/purdue/boxscore/13222 Then click on the 4th quarter and scroll down to their drive starting with 2:01 left.
Then it must have been the previous drive. I think it was Nubin who got called but I may have that wrong.

Who cares about that game? Why are we acting like the gophers weren’t a play away from winning this year and taking away any possible argument anyone could make for Brohm accomplishing more during Fleck?

I think most folks would look at overall records, head to head records, and best seasons and agree that Fleck has been better. Winning against good teams is offset by losing to bad teams. Beating a top 5 team doesn’t matter much if you finish 7-6.

Why does it hurt your feelings so much when people don't buy your narrative?

Brohm is a good coach, but if he was better than PJ he would beat him more often. If I had to choose one to be my coach it would not be Brohm. You probably feel different, that is fine. But the case isn't nearly as open and shut as you pretend it to be.

Are you gonna go on another rant now about how "everyone around here is mean and won't let me criticize Fleck wah wah wah?" cause that is always a crowd pleaser ;)
LOL. Your last paragraph is priceless and you can’t even see it. You are proving my point. Thanks for playing. 😂😂😂

I think most folks would look at overall records, head to head records, and best seasons and agree that Fleck has been better. Winning against good teams is offset by losing to bad teams. Beating a top 5 team doesn’t matter much if you finish 7-6.
We have beat less good teams, not beaten as good of teams, and lost to Bowling Green. 🤷‍♂️

We're talking about the drive that lead to their last TD. It was aided by horrid PI on third down

3rd and 7 at MIN11 Plummer,Jack pass incomplete to Doerue,King PENALTY MIN Pass Interference (Nubin,Tyler) 5 yards from MIN11 to MIN06, 1ST DOWN. NO PLAY.

We're talking about the drive that lead to their last TD. It was aided by horrid PI on third down

3rd and 7 at MIN11 Plummer,Jack pass incomplete to Doerue,King PENALTY MIN Pass Interference (Nubin,Tyler) 5 yards from MIN11 to MIN06, 1ST DOWN. NO PLAY.
I was talking about the drive that they stole the TD away from, and he responded that a PI call kept that drive alive ... and there was a PI call on that drive early, but it was on a 1st and 10.

So you can see my confusion.

Thanks for the clarification.

We have beat less good teams, not beaten as good of teams, and lost to Bowling Green. 🤷‍♂️
if that's way you want to look at it, so be it

Can't stop you, but I feel your personal dislike of Fleck is skewing perception

PJ is 4-2 vs Brohm. stomped them in 2018 when they had all the buzz after beating tOHSU and generally just smothered them.

But yes, he did beat a highly ranked tOHSU which was bigger win than ours vs highly ranked PSU. And he a beat a highly overrated Iowa team which we can't seem to do

Top Bottom