Brohm leaving?

That raises the question I asked above about whether Purdue's 2022 was better than our 2019.
I don't think Purdue's 2022 was better than Minnesota's 2019.

I'm not totally sure Purdue's 2022 is better than Minnesota's 2022. They got the outcome of losing to Michigan in Indy and a better bowl they will also likely lose, but if the two teams played tomorrow in Chicago, the Gophers would be favored.

When you include losing their coach as part of 2022, it wasn't that swell of a year for Purdue.

I don't think Purdue's 2022 was better than Minnesota's 2019.

I'm not totally sure Purdue's 2022 is better than Minnesota's 2022. They got the outcome of losing to Michigan in Indy and a better bowl they will also likely lose, but if the two teams played tomorrow in Chicago, the Gophers would be favored.

When you include losing their coach as part of 2022, it wasn't that swell of a year for Purdue.
I think the 2019 Gophers would have run away with the 2022 big ten west.

I think the 2019 Gophers would have run away with the 2022 big ten west.
As would the 2019 badgers and 2019 Hawkeyes
Division way worse right now.
Gophers included…I think that’s what is so frustrating to people

That raises the question I asked above about whether Purdue's 2022 was better than our 2019.

Hard to match the euphoria of the Penn State game, and being undefeated at the time.

What are we arguing about again? Purdue has had as many aggravating, head scratching, discouraging losses as us, maybe more. As pointed out, they‘ve been better versus Iowa. We’ve been better versus Wisconsin. They’ve had a handful of huge wins under Brohm starting soon after being pitiful under Hazel. They won the west this year. I’d say Purdue fans are probably bummed he’s leaving. I’d guess if he were our coach under the same scenario we’d be upset. It doesn’t take anything away from Fleck and his successes. Brohm has been good too.

At Purdue in 2017, the Gophers went on a 17-play, 62-yard drive that resulted in the go-ahead FG from Emmit Carpenter with 2:26 remaining in the game. The defense then let Purdue march down the field to retake the lead 24-17 with 1:17. The Gophers responded by driving 48 yards to the Purdue 27 yard line before Connor Rhoda threw a pick-6 to make 31-17.

The Gopher led in that game with under 90 seconds left and lost by 14.
Ah, thanks for reminding. I had a small tinge of a thought that that game might have been winnable, as well.

Fleck could've "easily" been 6-0 against Brohm!

Hard to match the euphoria of the Penn State game, and being undefeated at the time.

What are we arguing about again? Purdue has had as many aggravating, head scratching, discouraging losses as us, maybe more. As pointed out, they‘ve been better versus Iowa. We’ve been better versus Wisconsin. They’ve had a handful of huge wins under Brohm starting soon after being pitiful under Hazel. They won the west this year. I’d say Purdue fans are probably bummed he’s leaving. I’d guess if he were our coach under the same scenario we’d be upset. It doesn’t take anything away from Fleck and his successes. Brohm has been good too.
2022 Purdue at 6-3/8-4 would not have won the West in 2019. Wisconsin represented the division in Indy at 7-2/10-2, which is the same record as we had.

They just got lucky that the West was down this year, and they won it outright. Which is what we were supposed to do this year. So I discount winning (outright) the West, as a feather in their hat.

They do have that win over Ohio State, which was improbable. Don't recall what other huge wins they've had under him?

And yes, better again Iowa ... hard to do worse than 0-for-...

The interesting thing of course comes back to that Brohm at Purdue was the closest thing that the Big Ten (at least the West? Not sure on the East) had to a spread/air it out type of offense.

I don't think it worked out, quite as well as he maybe had pitched in order to get the job.

The interesting thing of course comes back to that Brohm at Purdue was the closest thing that the Big Ten (at least the West? Not sure on the East) had to a spread/air it out type of offense.

I don't think it worked out, quite as well as he maybe had pitched in order to get the job.
Illinois had a spread until two years ago
Northwestern is a spread
Nebraska is a spread
Wisconsin will be a spread next year

Illinois had a spread until two years ago
Northwestern is a spread
Nebraska is a spread
Wisconsin will be a spread next year
Will Nebraska be spread next year?

Let’s talk about a probable replacement for Brohm at Purdue.
I have not heard of any names bandied about from the media yet. I assume they’ll want a “splashy” hire this time.

Let’s talk about a probable replacement for Brohm at Purdue.
I have not heard of any names bandied about from the media yet. I assume they’ll want a “splashy” hire this time.
They seem like they always want to go offense.
But actually the last two years is the most conservative Purdue has been under Brohm and the most successful they’ve been. It will be interesting.

2022 Purdue at 6-3/8-4 would not have won the West in 2019. Wisconsin represented the division in Indy at 7-2/10-2, which is the same record as we had.

They just got lucky that the West was down this year, and they won it outright. Which is what we were supposed to do this year. So I discount winning (outright) the West, as a feather in their hat.

They do have that win over Ohio State, which was improbable. Don't recall what other huge wins they've had under him?

And yes, better again Iowa ... hard to do worse than 0-for-...

Sure, hypothetically we can say 2019 Minnesota defeats 2022 Purdue. 2019 Minnesota probably wins the national title every year up until the late ‘60s. Nice to think about but irrelevant. When the chips were down, did a team win the games it had to against the teams in the league in that season. Not this year. Teams have different players, strengths and weaknesses every year. Unfortunately there are no series, best of seven or do-overs like in baseball or in the NFL. Purdue did lose versus Syracuse…a team I know nothing about.

Being objective if Fleck left I suspect people wouldn’t be mad if Brohm were hired. That’s all I’m saying. Probably same for Kirk F (yuck), Bielema, Leonhard, Chryst…I know I know. I’ll leave the thread.

Sure, hypothetically we can say 2019 Minnesota defeats 2022 Purdue. 2019 Minnesota probably wins the national title every year up until the late ‘60s. Nice to think about but irrelevant. When the chips were down, did a team win the games it had to against the teams in the league in that season. Not this year. Teams have different players, strengths and weaknesses every year. Unfortunately there are no series, best of seven or do-overs like in baseball or in the NFL. Purdue did lose versus Syracuse…a team I know nothing about.

Being objective if Fleck left I suspect people wouldn’t be mad if Brohm were hired. That’s all I’m saying. Probably same for Kirk F (yuck), Bielema, Leonhard, Chryst…I know I know. I’ll leave the thread.
I don't think anyone in this thread is saying that Brohm is not a good coach. I think anyone can agree he did a really nice job at Purdue, and I agree with your point that if PJ were to leave town, I'd be happy with Brohm as the fallback. The only thing I see people disputing is that Brohm accomplished more than PJ. Most pf us, including myself, are biased of course, but there's also plenty of objective evidence in PJ's favor.

To address the last paragraph, if PJ left, I would be very unhappy with Ferentz, happy with Bielema (even if I dislike him), happy with Brohm, ok with Leonhard, and not happy with Chryst.

They seem like they always want to go offense.
But actually the last two years is the most conservative Purdue has been under Brohm and the most successful they’ve been. It will be interesting.
Just doing a little research and found an interesting name:
Gus Malzahn

Just doing a little research and found an interesting name:
Gus Malzahn
I have a hard time believing that. He’s already done the auburn thing. He is at a big 12 school in Florida.
I’m not sure Purdue is an easier job to keep for 10 years than UCF and I’m not sure Gus is looking for a stepping stone job

I have a hard time believing that. He’s already done the auburn thing. He is at a big 12 school in Florida.
I’m not sure Purdue is an easier job to keep for 10 years than UCF and I’m not sure Gus is looking for a stepping stone job
Everything you said is true, but money has a way of overcoming those.

You’re probably right, it’s the only name I’ve found after a quick search.
I’m still digging…

Everything you said is true, but money has a way of overcoming those.
And he is super southern. Arkansas high school football coach.
Although southern Indiana may as well be Arkansas

Purdue has space money, which has way more potential than oil money!
Back that armored truck up!!!

Purdue is not a great job. You are surrounded by other Division 1 schools and Notre Dame. They play in a terrible stadium and it is a terrible college town. It is a basketball school and for some reason they have never won the whole thing.

Purdue is not a great job. You are surrounded by other Division 1 schools and Notre Dame. They play in a terrible stadium and it is a terrible college town. It is a basketball school and for some reason they have never won the whole thing.
Because someone always tears an ACL

Genuine question to everyone: Would you trade our 2019 season for Purdue's 2022 season? I ask this not to argue one way or another but this thread kind of made me think about it.

Not even close. Dumb argument, really.

Purdue was 8-5 this year with their most impressive win being against Illinois. Seriously, Illinois.

Gophers were 11-2 and beat a top-ranked Penn State team in a huge national TV game.

Gophers beat Auburn in their bowl game, I would expect LSU to crush Purdue and Purdue to finish 8-6;

This isn't even a discussion.

Purdue was 8-5 this year with their most impressive win being against Illinois. Seriously, Illinois.

Gophers were 11-2 and beat a top-ranked Penn State team in a huge national TV game.

Gophers beat Auburn in their bowl game, I would expect LSU to crush Purdue and Purdue to finish 8-6;

It depends on how much of a deal you think the big ten west is

I agree with you, I've just seen some say that Brohm's peak has been higher than PJ's, which I don't agree with. And that's not even taking into consideration that PJ won 13 games at Western Michigan of all places.

It depends on how much of a deal you think the big ten west is
Winning the west in 2022 would have been a big deal for us. Winning it in 2019 would have been enormous. I'm not going to downplay the fact that I would love to go to Indy, even if it meant getting blown out, but I'd rather have a 2019 like season than an 8-4 west title.

I agree with you, I've just seen some say that Brohm's peak has been higher than PJ's, which I don't agree with. And that's not even taking into consideration that PJ won 13 games at Western Michigan of all places.
Individual games
Not seasons

Top Bottom