Brohm leaving?

Brohm is from Louisville, played at Louisville, and has family in Louisville. The Brohms are basically royalty in that football community. There's a little more to be considered here than just conference affiliation.
Agreed. I took a look and his roots run a lot deeper there than I thought.

It would be good to de-stabilize one of our main football rivals.

He was 3-0 against top 5 teams before losing to Michigan. He evolved and developed a solid B1G team with a solid defense. He has a high ceiling IMO.
One of the top five teams was a vastly overrated Iowa team. Another was a slightly overrated MSU team. The OSU win was impressive. He’s won nine games one time at Purdue, never more. His recruiting is not very good, his running game is typically poor, and his defenses are average at best. I think that puts a cap on what he can achieve unless he improves.

One of the top five teams was a vastly overrated Iowa team. Another was a slightly overrated MSU team. The OSU win was impressive. He’s won nine games one time at Purdue, never more. His recruiting is not very good, his running game is typically poor, and his defenses are average at best. I think that puts a cap on what he can achieve unless he improves.
I think his ceiling is much higher at Louisville than Purdue

Brohm has done more than PJ has - he has won the conference and played in Indy. I'd take that.

Also, why drag Kill in the mud? You have no idea what he might have achieved here had his health allowed him to stick it out. His ceiling may have been higher than what has been achieved since he left. He took us out of the gutter pretty quick, getting us to playing on Jan 1 in Tampa. He only had 4+ years here and we were 8-54 his last two full years in the regular season, just where we are at this year. He was playing to win the West the last game of the year at Madison in year four. Pretty much right where we have continued to be. I support PJ as our coach, and it would have been fun to see what Kill might have done had he been able to be healthy.
No he hasn’t. I’d rather have a #10 finish than a big10 west title and unranked. I didn’t drag Kill through the mud. I just have my opinion. He didn’t give me the impression that he could recruit well enough or create a passing game that was good enough to have a high ceiling.

That's debatable.
Depends on the metric. We have not made it to Indy yet...sigh...

As for moving now, the ACC is not the most stable looking conference in the long-term, potential superconference models.

Admittedly hard to tell sometimes if he his enjoying himself on the sideline at Purdue but that's a different matter.

I think his ceiling is much higher at Louisville than Purdue
I agree
The only reason to stay at Purdue would be potentially money. Especially in an expanded playoff.
Much easier to be 2nd in the ACC at Louisville than 3rd in the big ten at Purdue.

I agree
The only reason to stay at Purdue would be potentially money. Especially in an expanded playoff.
Much easier to be 2nd in the ACC at Louisville than 3rd in the big ten at Purdue.
This is my take as well. Louisville will pay him whatever it takes. His scheme is better suited to ACC than the B10. In the ACC he only has to worry about Clemson. Even then, If he loses to Clemson and goes 12-1 he gets in to the expanded playoff. B10 he has to contend with OSU, Michigan Penn State and now USC. Much more difficult to go one loss and reach playoff, especially at a Basketball school

This is my take as well. Louisville will pay him whatever it takes. His scheme is better suited to ACC than the B10. In the ACC he only has to worry about Clemson. Even then, If he loses to Clemson and goes 12-1 he gets in to the expanded playoff. B10 he has to contend with OSU, Michigan Penn State and now USC. Much more difficult to go one loss and reach playoff, especially at a Basketball school
He gone.

But seriously, I really think he could be. Possible higher pay, easier path to wins, family connections.

Is it? Louisville isn't that great at football. The B1G will get 4 or more teams in the CFP once the PAC is gone. And it was home for him last time around and he said no.

Yes, I believe the path to the playoffs is easier at Louisville than at Purdue.

Since the turn of the century, Louisville has finished in the Top 25 seven times, twice in the top ten. Since the turn of the century, Purdue has finished in the Top 25 once and not since 2003. Think about that. Purdue hasn't finished as a ranked team since 2003. If they win the Citrus Bowl, they will likely break that streak.

Where is the PAC 12 going?

I don't see any way the Big 10 is going to get 4 or more teams into a 12-team playoff. And, if so, it is hard to believe Purdue would be one of the 4.

Louisville winning the ACC and securing a berth is more likely than Purdue garnering a spot, in my opinion.

Timing is much better now for him to jump. He won the Big Ten West, ride off into the sunset now and take the Louisville home town job.

Yes, I believe the path to the playoffs is easier at Louisville than at Purdue.

Where is the PAC 12 going?

I don't see any way the Big 10 is going to get 4 or more teams into a 12-team playoff. And, if so, it is hard to believe Purdue would be one of the 4.

Louisville winning the ACC and securing a berth is more likely than Purdue garnering a spot, in my opinion.

Timing is much better now for him to jump. He won the Big Ten West, ride off into the sunset now and take the Louisville home town job.
I would say we'll se a Pac 12/Big 12 merger at some point with the "new" Big 12 schools that haven't joined yet getting left behind. The ACC will likely pick off a couple as well.

I would say we'll se a Pac 12/Big 12 merger at some point with the "new" Big 12 schools that haven't joined yet getting left behind. The ACC will likely pick off a couple as well.

If so, that probably won't happen for years, and really won't increase the possibility of more Big Ten teams getting in. The number of Power Five is not going to shrink enough for that.

If anything, the new playoff format will strengthen the Big 12 and Pac 12, as they have guaranteed spots every year, and multiple spots in some years.

Would that bring the Big PAC to 20 then? I see lawsuits galore if the new entries get shafted after leaving and not getting what they had contracted for.

Unless the old Big 8 schools are going to pull a double-cross and go over to the PAC, which is an interesting idea and not impossible, then there's no chance it will happen like you propose here. Not enough time.

The Big Ten won't be taking any further PAC teams any time soon, and that is the key event that would be needed to cause the merger.

If the ACC loses some teams to the Big Ten, then yes I could conceivably see them picking up West Virginia, for example. Maybe Cincinnati.

Also think there could be a big re-org/musical chairs between the ACC and SEC, dictated by ESPN.

It's not always about money.

In baseball, the Phillies just signed SS Trea Turner. San Diego offered him more money, but according to reports, his wife wanted to live closer to relatives. (She's from New Jersey)

sure, either way he's making a bleep-load of money, but the point is, he turned down a higher offer for what appeared to be personal reasons.

In baseball, the Phillies just signed SS Trea Turner. San Diego offered him more money, but according to reports, his wife wanted to live closer to relatives. (She's from New Jersey)

sure, either way he's making a bleep-load of money, but the point is, he turned down a higher offer for what appeared to be personal reasons.
If he stays at Purdue it’s because of money, not in spite of money

Also, sometimes the money isn't about money. It's about ego/pride.
Most of these coaches have already earned enough money to retire on, yet they keep coaching.

Also, sometimes the money isn't about money. It's about ego/pride.
Most of these coaches have already earned enough money to retire on, yet they keep coaching.
brohm still drives a 20 year old or so honda, they bring it up all the time

he's either frugal or gambles all of his money and cant afford new car

Brohm has done more than PJ has - he has won the conference and played in Indy. I'd take that.

Also, why drag Kill in the mud? You have no idea what he might have achieved here had his health allowed him to stick it out. His ceiling may have been higher than what has been achieved since he left. He took us out of the gutter pretty quick, getting us to playing on Jan 1 in Tampa. He only had 4+ years here and we were 8-54 his last two full years in the regular season, just where we are at this year. He was playing to win the West the last game of the year at Madison in year four. Pretty much right where we have continued to be. I support PJ as our coach, and it would have been fun to see what Kill might have done had he been able to be healthy.
When has Brohm been 9-0 or 11-2 and in playoff contention? Or 7-2 in conference.

Kill's absolute peak was slightly-above-average. His recruiting coordinator, Billy Glasscock, admitted that they didn't even try to recruit anyone that other Big Ten teams wanted.

Bummer for Purdue if he leaves. Good for the Gophers if he does. Brohm is a great coach. I guess it is nice that we don’t have to worry about demand for our coach 🤷‍♂️

Bummer for Purdue if he leaves. Good for the Gophers if he does. Brohm is a great coach. I guess it is nice that we don’t have to worry about demand for our coach 🤷‍♂️

Who else wants Brohm other than potentially his alma mater, which is a step up from his current job? I guess it's a good thing PJ's alma mater is a step down.

If so, that probably won't happen for years, and really won't increase the possibility of more Big Ten teams getting in. The number of Power Five is not going to shrink enough for that.

If anything, the new playoff format will strengthen the Big 12 and Pac 12, as they have guaranteed spots every year, and multiple spots in some years.
They are all waiting on the PAC tv contract. It's expected to be announced this month. Then the pissed off schools start trying to move as the numbers will suck, then the CA regents meet. This is a B1G month.

Nothing wrong said here, but Fleck has gotten the better of Brohm. 4-2 I think?

That 2020 game should've been a win for them, sorry but true. Refs took the TD away

Makes a lot of sense, to me.

I think Purdue peaked this year. West is being dissolved after next year, and tough to see Purdue winning the conference ever again after that, or even making the championship game.

Lot easier to make the ACC championship game at Louisville, and it's Brohm's home and alma mater.

The goal for any West teams will be to be the highest ranked team after MI/tOSU and possibly get in the playoff or sneak into the conference championship game based on scheduling luck.

brohm still drives a 20 year old or so honda, they bring it up all the time

he's either frugal or gambles all of his money and cant afford new car
Hookers and cocaine is expensive

Top Bottom