All Things 2021 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

The Lions just announced that the team and QB Matthew Stafford have agreed to "pursue other options" for next year.

That will add another wrinkle to the game of musical QB chairs during the off-season.
I'm telling you, I don't know what the asking price is going to be but if he moves on, someone is going to be getting a very, very good QB with a number of really good years left. After getting stuck in the shitshow that is Detroit, I really hope he ends up in a good situation, preferably in the AFC

EDIT: If he ends up in New Orleans, I just might cry for a week, nonstop

The Lions just announced that the team and QB Matthew Stafford have agreed to "pursue other options" for next year.

That will add another wrinkle to the game of musical QB chairs during the off-season.
This will be interesting-Stafford has put up
big numbers for years without anything to play for-conceivably he could put a team like the 49ers, Washington, Colts, or Steelers (if Big Ben retires) right in the thick of a deep playoff push.

I’m also curious to see what will happen with Jameis Winston-he’s young and there’s a great deal of talent there, is someone going to roll the dice with him as their starter?

I can’t recall a more fascinating off season shaping up re: QB’s. The retirements of Brees and Rivers and perhaps Big Ben; Watson’s unhappiness in Houston; Stafford’s on the move;Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, and several other anticipated 1st round picks; and what happens to the likes of Winston, Cam Newton, Jimmy G and others.

per Shooter:

If the Vikings keep Cousins, who would be guaranteed $56 million through 2022 if he’s still with the team this March, they might not have enough money to upgrade pass rusher Danielle Hunter’s undervalued contract.

It could come down to whether the Vikings trade Cousins to pay Hunter, or trade Hunter to pay Cousins.

The guess here is that if it were up to Zimmer, he’d trade Cousins to keep Hunter. But it’s unlikely he would get his way from ownership.

Skol Vikes!!

per Shooter:

If the Vikings keep Cousins, who would be guaranteed $56 million through 2022 if he’s still with the team this March, they might not have enough money to upgrade pass rusher Danielle Hunter’s undervalued contract.

It could come down to whether the Vikings trade Cousins to pay Hunter, or trade Hunter to pay Cousins.

The guess here is that if it were up to Zimmer, he’d trade Cousins to keep Hunter. But it’s unlikely he would get his way from ownership.

Skol Vikes!!

Another brutally dumb article by shooter. The Vikings have a number of other high $ players they could move on from to pay Hunter.

This will be interesting-Stafford has put up
big numbers for years without anything to play for-conceivably he could put a team like the 49ers, Washington, Colts, or Steelers (if Big Ben retires) right in the thick of a deep playoff push.

I’m also curious to see what will happen with Jameis Winston-he’s young and there’s a great deal of talent there, is someone going to roll the dice with him as their starter?

I can’t recall a more fascinating off season shaping up re: QB’s. The retirements of Brees and Rivers and perhaps Big Ben; Watson’s unhappiness in Houston; Stafford’s on the move;Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, and several other anticipated 1st round picks; and what happens to the likes of Winston, Cam Newton, Jimmy G and others.
Fields, like all OSU QBs, won't make it in the pros. If I were a big time QB prospect in high school, I would never go to OSU.

The Lions are trading Matt Stafford to the Rams for Jared Goff, a third round pick this year, a 1st rounder in 2022, and a 1st rounder in 2023.

This is a really interesting trade for both teams, and now the Lions will likely not draft a QB at 7. My guess is they'll now pick a WR.

Potentially terrible trade for the Rams. Stafford is better than Goff, but not by that much. If they don't win a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years it's an awful trade.

Plus side: the 49ers were interested in Stafford. Now might have to turn to Cousins.

Potentially terrible trade for the Rams. Stafford is better than Goff, but not by that much. If they don't win a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years it's an awful trade.

Plus side: the 49ers were interested in Stafford. Now might have to turn to Cousins.
Rams clearly don't like taking guys in the first round!

Side note: just starting watching this past season's Hard Knocks. Had forgotten about it, as HBO Max was off Roku for a long time. Interesting to see Goff's house in LA with it's "Goff Course". California boy through and through, have to assume he won't be making a permanent home in Michigan.

Also, scary how much Sean McVay reminds me of PJ Fleck.

The Lions are trading Matt Stafford to the Rams for Jared Goff, a third round pick this year, a 1st rounder in 2022, and a 1st rounder in 2023.

This is a really interesting trade for both teams, and now the Lions will likely not draft a QB at 7. My guess is they'll now pick a WR.

Crazy. I cannot believe that the Rams gave up that much. Stafford is an upgrade from Goff....sure. But he's also a week away from 33 years old. I guess if he puts up top five QB numbers you could maybe make a case that it was worth it.

One thing to remember for the Rams, they had major cap issues prior to this move. Going from Goff's number to Stafford's number also really helps their cap number both in 2021 and 2022. That was another driving force in the move.

I'm a huge Stafford fan, but I think this deal was a little rich. Probably smart that they got their deal done before all of the other QB shuffling started, and they were probably going to be in a big bidding war with Indy. Stafford in Indy would have made them incredibly dangerous in 2021 with the roster they have. No doubt Indy was driving up the price if nothing else.

I’m perplexed why they’d give up that much for Stafford. Rodgers, Watson? Sure. But Stafford? The Lions are a garbage pile, and you can’t necessarily place the blame on Stafford. But with how this league is structured, if you’re an elite QB, you can win with subpar surroundings. See Rodgers, Brady, etc. Often they haven’t had elite “weapons”, but have done a fair amount of winning regardless. Stafford strikes me as a player that can put up numbers, but doesn’t necessarily make those around him better. As a much younger player, with the best WR in the league, he did nothing. LA has a good defense, so I would be shocked if they don’t make the playoffs, but I’m skeptical they’ll do anything when they get there.

Crazy. I cannot believe that the Rams gave up that much. Stafford is an upgrade from Goff....sure. But he's also a week away from 33 years old. I guess if he puts up top five QB numbers you could maybe make a case that it was worth it.

I think the Rams feel like they are a QB away from winning a Super Bowl, and that Stafford gives them a better chance than Goff of winning one.

I’m perplexed why they’d give up that much for Stafford. Rodgers, Watson? Sure. But Stafford? The Lions are a garbage pile, and you can’t necessarily place the blame on Stafford. But with how this league is structured, if you’re an elite QB, you can win with subpar surroundings. See Rodgers, Brady, etc. Often they haven’t had elite “weapons”, but have done a fair amount of winning regardless. Stafford strikes me as a player that can put up numbers, but doesn’t necessarily make those around him better. As a much younger player, with the best WR in the league, he did nothing. LA has a good defense, so I would be shocked if they don’t make the playoffs, but I’m skeptical they’ll do anything when they get there.
They overpaid Detroit to take a bad contract off their hands. It wasn't going to be cheap. It's a lot more about the numbers than the talent.

I think the Rams feel like they are a QB away from winning a Super Bowl, and that Stafford gives them a better chance than Goff of winning one.
They were a half away from winning a title with Goff but McVay got thoroughly outcouched by Belicheck. Goff wasn't a reason they lost, their lack of a run game and play calling were.
Goff came back from thumb surgery to lead them to a victory in the opening round and then played ok the following week vs. GB. Aaron Donald not playing really hurt their chances in that one.
I don't see the move as being any better for them on the field as Stafford isn't really an upgrade.

They overpaid Detroit to take a bad contract off their hands. It wasn't going to be cheap. It's a lot more about the numbers than the talent.
To me, it would seem the draft capital is worth more than getting rid of a “bad” contract, especially since he’s making what QBs get now when they get new contracts. Staffords contract is obviously much better, but he’s old, and when they either have to resign him or get a new QB in a couple years, they’ll be back to paying what they were with Goff, but they’ll be without the players they could have drafted with those picks.

But I am obviously not a GM, and they are more than likely way smarter than I. Count me in the crowd that believes Detroit fleeced them. Of course, it’s Detroit, so I’m sure they’ll squander whatever they get.

The Athletic reporting that the San Francisco, Indy, Detroit, Carolina and Washington were all in on Stafford, with the Redskins allegedly making a "significant offer" for Stafford.

This certainly sets a high bar for some of the other potential QB movements that could happen in the next couple months

They were a half away from winning a title with Goff but McVay got thoroughly outcouched by Belicheck. Goff wasn't a reason they lost, their lack of a run game and play calling were.
Goff came back from thumb surgery to lead them to a victory in the opening round and then played ok the following week vs. GB. Aaron Donald not playing really hurt their chances in that one.
I don't see the move as being any better for them on the field as Stafford isn't really an upgrade.

Getting outcoached and play calling could be part of the reason they lost, but Goff had 1 TD pass in 3 games that entire post season. He threw for 186 yards on 54% passing that first game with no TDs. That's leading them to victory? Gurley had 115 yds in their first game, but was also hurt in the NFC championship game and the Super Bowl.

Goff has regressed over the last two seasons, and Stafford is an upgrade.

To me, it would seem the draft capital is worth more than getting rid of a “bad” contract, especially since he’s making what QBs get now when they get new contracts. Staffords contract is obviously much better, but he’s old, and when they either have to resign him or get a new QB in a couple years, they’ll be back to paying what they were with Goff, but they’ll be without the players they could have drafted with those picks.

But I am obviously not a GM, and they are more than likely way smarter than I. Count me in the crowd that believes Detroit fleeced them. Of course, it’s Detroit, so I’m sure they’ll squander whatever they get.

If you feel that the QB puts you over the top as a Super Bowl contender, then you get the QB regardless of the draft capital.

The reason Tampa Bay is in the Super Bowl this season has far more to do with the HOF QB they signed than it does with who they drafted in the 1st round over the last several years. If Stafford wins the Rams a Super Bowl in the next year or two, no one will care about the picks they gave up to get him.

Even if they take Cousins "for free", I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. They can take on that contract. Even if they want to ship Jimmy G here, that's fine. He can be here in 2021 and be much more easily cut after that. Anything else the Vikes would get would be icing on the cake. Jimmy is making about $5mm less than Kirk. That, plus the added flexibility in 2022, means they could probably throw enough at Hunter to keep him here.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-14472/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/kirk-cousins-9915/

If the Vikings can trade Cousins for two 1st round picks, they should do it, and then draft Mac Jones.
YIKES!!!!! I can't endorse that!!

I heard an interesting take on a podcast recently; you can make the argument that Jones at Alabama was throwing to a better WR corps than just about any NFL team he will go to, and to guys that were almost always wide open.

Have not heard great things about Jones, and to top things off, he's an extremely subpar athlete by today's standard. Dude runs like just a couple hundredths under a 5-second 40. Damn, that's almost hard to do

I heard an interesting take on a podcast recently; you can make the argument that Jones at Alabama was throwing to a better WR corps than just about any NFL team he will go to, and to guys that were almost always wide open.

Have not heard great things about Jones, and to top things off, he's an extremely subpar athlete by today's standard. Dude runs like just a couple hundredths under a 5-second 40. Damn, that's almost hard to do
That would be my worry as well. He is basically surrounded by an NFL team, with insane WR talent. I'm not sure how you properly scout a guy like him.

As an aside, I was looking at mock drafts to see where Jones was predicted to go (not that long ago, he was a 2nd/3rd rounder, now he's solidly a first rounder according to the mocks). And I saw this synopsis of the Vike's pick on PFF, Kwity Paye:

Danielle Hunter’s recent absence has highlighted that the Vikings could stand to add a few pass-rushers to complement him. Minnesota’s 22% pressure rate in 2020 ranked dead last in the NFL.

Paye fits the bill and might just be the biggest physical freak in an edge draft class loaded with ridiculous athletes. He was No. 1 on Bruce Feldman’s Freaks List thanks in part to a sub-6.4-second three-cone at 270 pounds. His PFF grade has only improved each season at Michigan, and there is still plenty of room for growth as he adds more pass-rushing moves to his repertoire.

This is where the NFL sometimes loses me. He is a "physical freak" that will probably score off the charts at the combine/pro day. But if he's such a physical specimen, shouldn't he be dominating at the lesser level of college? In 28 career games, he has 11.5 sacks and a whopping 1 forced fumble. He has a high number of TFL, however, at 23.5, which tells me he is probably pretty good against the run. But as an edge rusher, that seems very uninspiring. Seems like there's a fair amount of risk being the next Vernon Gholston.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/kwity-paye-1.html

You could say the same thing about Burrow last year.

Alabama also had a better WR corps last year than this year, when they had Jeudy and Ruggs with Smith and Waddle. Plus Waddle missed half of this season.

Yet this season Jones graded out even higher than Burrow did last season. I would not have an issue at all with the Vikings taking Jones in the 1st if he's available.

I think I saw every minute that Jones played this year. He is legit.

This was one person's comments about the Senior Bowl:

In Mobile, Jones threw with pinpoint accuracy and fantastic anticipation to receivers he didn't have any established rapport. A strong week of passing at the Senior Bowl always bodes very well for a quarterback's stock because coaches love to see one thrive in a difficult environment.

Top Bottom