What Could the University Do to Make A Better Gameday Atmosphere?

norman~
I do not disagree AT ALL. I think one thorn in the side of the dept is the fact that they don't get the parking revenue. While the improvements to gameday atmosphere alone should drive the desire to open up more tailgating, I wonder if the lack of financial consideration is playing a role. In other words, when the athletic department only makes money on donations perhaps day of parking/tailgating (regardless of how much it might pull in) ceases to be a priority.

A SUPER LOUD air raid siren or horn that's blasted when we score a TD, like Oregon & Washington. I want visiting fans and people walking Fluffie the Dog over in St. Anthony during game day annoyed & to accept the fact that the Gophers just scored a touchdown.

Said siren/horn can activate the moment the cannon goes off.

I also still don't like the font of the numbers on the all the scoreboards, but whatever.....

This has long been a thought of mine as well ever since I read about Vandy doing something similar. Seeing how folks tailgate at USC (despite almost all of the parking on campus being ramp parking...sound familiar to anyone?) made it clear to me how cool something like this could be. Plus it's a revenue stream. This will be part of the e-mail I send to Kaler and the new AD.

I really don't think the U would let that happen. The U spends ridiculous amounts of man hours and money up keeping that area. I don't think they would run the risk of ruining the picturesque landscape.

norman~
I do not disagree AT ALL. I think one thorn in the side of the dept is the fact that they don't get the parking revenue. While the improvements to gameday atmosphere alone should drive the desire to open up more tailgating, I wonder if the lack of financial consideration is playing a role. In other words, when the athletic department only makes money on donations perhaps day of parking/tailgating (regardless of how much it might pull in) ceases to be a priority.

Having worked in the the Parking and Transportation Department, what they do with the funds they have is an absolute joke. They blow enormous amounts of money on stuff you wouldn't believe. It is safe to say they should not be getting all of that revenue.

I really don't think the U would let that happen. The U spends ridiculous amounts of man hours and money up keeping that area. I don't think they would run the risk of ruining the picturesque landscape.
I've had the same thoughts/concerns about Northrop Mall. The lazy argument (which I don't want to make) would be to point to USC or Ole Miss while ignoring the weather/climate differences that would play in to maintaining the grass. So I'm not one who would dismiss that concern out of hand. However, one counter argument would be Michigan. They let fans tailgate on the golf course next to the stadium. And by tailgate I mean drive their cars onto it. For every game. In all types of weather. If they can do that an maintain a golf course I have to think that Northrup Mall could stand up to University organized and managed tailgating spots.

That said, I can see the "forces of No" holding strong on that location (and again, I can see some of their point). If Northrop is out, the same idea could also be easily executed elsewhere. One idea (in my mind, the best alternate option) would be accomplished by closing down some streets within campus that aren't primary traffic arteries. This is what they do at Vandy (they call it VandyVille). The best example of this is Church Street between Wash and the Church St. Garage. It is ideal because of it's proximity to both the new East Bank LRT station (which will be between Harvard and and Union and the garage/ramp parking options on EB. It is also less than a half mile to TCF, is not grass, is wide, and most importantly, traffic will not be allowed to cross Washington on Church. Which means the stretch from Washington to the Church Street garage is effectively a dead end. Now, I'm sure there are fire route implications that are involved and perhaps those mean this isn't doable (though I'd bet if only one side of Church had tents on it it would be OK). But it's the sort of option that is worth considering if improving the gameday options and experience are important.

The other option would be to run it on other green spaces that likely aren't considered as essential. Some examples would be the quad next to the Bell Museum, the open space with the sand VB pits between Beacon and Harvard, or perhaps The Knoll. The issue with the quad by Bell and The Knoll would be that they aren't close to the LRT station. The issue with the VB area is that it is small and I think there might be construction ongoing on it now or in the future (can't recall).

Like most solutions for gameday atmosphere on a very urban campus, any solution could end up being complex. But I've walked through campus before and after games enough times now to recognize that there are certainly some opportunities being missed.

Interesting note: the street that Vandy uses for Vandyville is almost the exact same length as the "dead end" on Church between Washington and the Church Street Garage.

Another thought about the Church Street idea...

Looking at the Vandyville site, it looks like the 10x10 tailgate tents are placed on what works out to be a space that is maybe 15' wide. If the U replicated this down the length of the section I called out then you're looking at space for just over 50 tents. If they charged the same amount ($600 season) for the tent then the U would stand to make just over $30,000 a season. Not big money at all, but more revenue. And if they were more interested in the atmosphere, they could charge less and probably get more interest in the idea. With success, it could perhaps be exported to other places on campus.

Also, FWIW, about 2/3's of the stretch of Church Street I called out isn't even considered a through street currently. While driveable, it is a pedestrian mall and as a result that stretch is much wider and might be able to safely accommodate tents on each side of the "street" which could add another 30 or so tents to the total.

GoAUpher, great job in comparing Vandyville to situation at the University. It just seems that the University doesn't want to do the little things that are involved in making gameday a great fan experience. I really hope that the new AD has experience somewhere along the line at a big-time football school that knows how important "gameday" can be in generating fan enthusiasm and monetary support.

Found a great article on Vandyville and how open Vanderbilt was to using fan's suggestions on how to better their gameday experience.

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/052311aaa.html

An expansion of Vanderbilt's popular Vandyville gameday attraction has opened up more tailgating opportunities for fans planning to enjoy the Commodores' upcoming football season.

Athletics officials will expand Vandyville on Natchez Trace toward Children's Way, creating up to 100 yards of new tailgate access on the road that is closed to thru traffic on gamedays.

The area will be anchored by a pregame stage featuring live music in conjunction with the Commodores' flagship radio station in Nashville, RQQ 97.1 Classic Hits. It will also be located in close proximity to a new kids' activities location.

Orders for tailgate tents are being accepted. Tents for Vanderbilt's seven-game home schedule are $600, and include two parking permits in the nearby flat lots. Season rentals of tables also can be reserved for $100.

Expanding Vandyville and adding live music and more kids' attractions were ideas that developed in February when a random cross-section of Commodore season ticket holders gathered with numerous athletics officials to suggest ideas to enhance the Vanderbilt football gameday experience.

"We received some great feedback from those fans on how we could change the culture of Vanderbilt football for fans, and enhance the fan experience," Vanderbilt Sales and Marketing Director Steve Walsh said. "We want our fans to realize that many of those suggestions, aimed at pre-game and in-game enhancements, are moving forward."

In March, athletics officials and the National Commodore Club announced the first change stemming from fans' suggestions: new pricing levels for two parking areas in the flat lot near Vanderbilt Stadium aimed at putting more Commodore fans in the prime gameday tailgate spaces.

Since its inception eight years ago, Vandyville has been a big success. Typically open six hours before kickoff, Vandyville allows fans to tailgate and enjoy an array of activities including watching college football games shown on a huge Jumbotron just steps away from the stadium main gate.

The expansion toward Children's Way upgrades fan activities on the opposite end of Vandyville. A new location for more activities and attractions aimed at families and kids also will be located near the new music stage.

GoAUpher, great job in comparing Vandeyville to situation at the University. It just seems that the University doesn't want to do the little things that are involved in making gameday a great fan experience. I really hope that the new AD has experience somewhere along the line at a big-time football school that knows how important "gameday" can be in generating fan enthusiasm and monetary support.

Thanks! While I think it's possible that the U doesn't want to do the little things, I think it's more likely that the little things are hard to get past the entrenched interests/"middle managers". Hopefully a new AD and new president are enough to skirt by "the forces of No".

The U should consider doing something along the lines of Hineygate at OSU. http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2009/09/01/story_hineygate.html . We've been there several times and it was a blast. Considering the space on the plaza on the West end of TCF, they could put up a huge big screen TV with "College Game Day" on it as well as the early game, have a big radio station sponsor, local rock bands, tents, beer, brats, get ready for the Victory Walk, pep band, etc. Make it a huge deal for people coming to campus. Heck, they could even name it "The Rouser Rally"

All these are great ideas and concepts.

I really think the lack of these types of on campus opportunities speaks to a very sad fact.

Our administration hasn't been truly interested in helping expand the fanbase, and certainly isn't interested in making it younger and more rowdy.
Our former AD has done nothing to stand up politically to these unnamed "middle manager" types. Our new President at least shows the capacity for making tough and bold decisions, our new AD needs to also. A spine and set of balls is all it will take to implement quite a few of these great suggestions.

Student involvement is going to be key, as are young casual fans who are interested in having a party.

Here's to hoping the new AD is able to come in and shake things up, telling long standing opponents to all of these great ideas to quite simply "shove it".

The U should consider doing something along the lines of Hineygate at OSU. http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2009/09/01/story_hineygate.html . We've been there several times and it was a blast. Considering the space on the plaza on the West end of TCF, they could put up a huge big screen TV with "College Game Day" on it as well as the early game, have a big radio station sponsor, local rock bands, tents, beer, brats, get ready for the Victory Walk, pep band, etc. Make it a huge deal for people coming to campus. Heck, they could even name it "The Rouser Rally"
This is a good idea that the U tried (sort of) and stopped just as quickly (and no one knows why). If they restart it, I don't think they can do this on the plaza. It really isn't actually all that large, especially since 2 of the 5 entrances are on it (requiring people to walk there. Putting a Rouser Rally there would make traffic in and out of the stadium more difficult. If a "Rouser Rally" were to be started again, the 2 best places to put it would be McNamara Plaza or perhaps in front of Mariucci. If no rally is put back in front of McNamara, that space could also be used for the tailgate tent area like I outlined for Church Street.

That said, I still think that this sort of rally would be a great addition to have back and I'm still unsure why the pregame plaza event they ran at McNamara was stopped. Same thing with the post game rally indoors. I think that was a terrific addition and am sad they got rid of it. It was more low key than one of the beer gardens or bars and was inside (which was nice as the temps dropped).

A spine and set of balls is all it will take to implement quite a few of these great suggestions.

Student involvement is going to be key, as are young casual fans who are interested in having a party.
Given the wide variety of entrenched interests/beauracracies the U faces (internal and external...remember that the City and Neighborhood Associations have power to stop some things too) simply "getting tough" is unlikely to be enough. Obviously it's a vital part of making changes, but I sincerely doubt simply telling folks to "shove it" will accomplish much. You're right though, building younger support is key to improving things long term.

Tradition is easier to destroy than to build.

Amen to that.

Let's summarize the "great ideas" from Gopherhole here and in the past:

- Win more GAMES! It should really start and end here. It doesn't.

- More money for football and basketball.

- I have to pay HOW much to sit between the 20's? I don't give a damn if they do it everywhere, I've had those seats since Warmath and I'm not paying it!

- Dump the high priced lots even though they're all paid for because we want closer and cheaper places to tailgate.

- MORE students seats because they are the future and they come to party and yell.

- LESS student seats because the "bleeps" don't show up in time, leave early or just don't show-up at all.

- Dump the ads because they're annoying and to hell with the money.

- More cheering! Get the crowd involved! Try "Minn - E - So- Tah!"

- Dump the "First Down", and who the hell liked "Minn-E-So-Tah!"?

- Model the program after Wisconsin. "If they can do it THERE we can do it HERE!"

- Don't HIRE anyone who worked at Wisconsin - they're just here to ruin our program!

- MORE night games! PARTY!

- MORE noon games! That's what college football is about!

- Get a big time opponent in here to hype-up interest!

- WHAT? USC? Are you crazy? We NEED four non-conference wins to get a Bowl Game!

- Dump baseball so more revenue goes to football and basketball.

- How come the AD can't get the money to get the damn baseball stadium built?

- TUBBY SMITH? We got TUBBY SMITH? That's GREAT! Glad he fell into Maturi's lap.

- Tubby Smith? Judas Priest get him the hell out of here!

- Jerry Kill? Who the hell is Jerry Kill? The AD swings and misses again!

- Jerry Kill is the best thing that's happened around here in years. He's going to WIN at Minnesota. Glad he fell into Maturi's lap.

- The Vikings need to STAY!

- If the Gophers ever want to be the only game in town the way the Badgers and Hawkeyes are, the Vikings need to GO!

- To heck with St.Paul let the Gophers sell booze to whom they WANT to!

- I want to be able to drink a damn beer at TCF. Booze for everyone!

- Get an AD who will funnel money to football and basketball period and tells every other coach at the U he'll never see them play! Ever!

- Make sure the new AD takes my advice on anything I mention or I'll hound them for the rest of their life.

My God it's easy to run the U.

Iceland12 said:
Amen to that.

Let's summarize the "great ideas" from Gopherhole here and in the past:

- Win more GAMES! It should really start and end here. It doesn't.

- More money for football and basketball.

- I have to pay HOW much to sit between the 20's? I don't give a damn if they do it everywhere, I've had those seats since Warmath and I'm not paying it!

- Dump the high priced lots even though they're all paid for because we want closer and cheaper places to tailgate.

- MORE students seats because they are the future and they come to party and yell.

- LESS student seats because the "bleeps" don't show up in time, leave early or just don't show-up at all.

- Dump the ads because they're annoying and to hell with the money.

- More cheering! Get the crowd involved! Try "Minn - E - So- Tah!"

- Dump the "First Down", and who the hell liked "Minn-E-So-Tah!"?

- Model the program after Wisconsin. "If they can do it THERE we can do it HERE!"

- Don't HIRE anyone who worked at Wisconsin - they're just here to ruin our program!

- MORE night games! PARTY!

- MORE noon games! That's what college football is about!

- Get a big time opponent in here to hype-up interest!

- WHAT? USC? Are you crazy? We NEED four non-conference wins to get a Bowl Game!

- Dump baseball so more revenue goes to football and basketball.

- How come the AD can't get the money to get the damn baseball stadium built?

- TUBBY SMITH? We got TUBBY SMITH? That's GREAT! Glad he fell into Maturi's lap.

- Tubby Smith? Judas Priest get him the hell out of here!

- Jerry Kill? Who the hell is Jerry Kill? The AD swings and misses again!

- Jerry Kill is the best thing that's happened around here in years. He's going to WIN at Minnesota. Glad he fell into Maturi's lap.

- The Vikings need to STAY!

- If the Gophers ever want to be the only game in town the way the Badgers and Hawkeyes are, the Vikings need to GO!

- To heck with St.Paul let the Gophers sell booze to whom they WANT to!

- I want to be able to drink a damn beer at TCF. Booze for everyone!

- Get an AD who will funnel money to football and basketball period and tells every other coach at the U he'll never see them play! Ever!

- Make sure the new AD takes my advice on anything I mention or I'll hound them for the rest of their life.

My God it's easy to run the U.

+1

I agree with all of your points.

Given the wide variety of entrenched interests/beauracracies the U faces (internal and external...remember that the City and Neighborhood Associations have power to stop some things too) simply "getting tough" is unlikely to be enough. Obviously it's a vital part of making changes, but I sincerely doubt simply telling folks to "shove it" will accomplish much. You're right though, building younger support is key to improving things long term.

I'm still confused what number of people actually live in the adjacent areas of campus. I'm talking flat-out in Dinkytown and Stadium Village (you could convince me Prospect Park east of 27th is a close enough neighborhood as well). How many of the people that live there were there before the University was a 40,000+ behemoth of students and activity? How loud does the stadium actually get on gameday? How often is that noise earlier or past a reasonable hour of the day (last I checked games end no later than 10:30 and start no earlier than 11 AM). These residences are also on the fringe side of campus with multiple accesses to freeways and roads leading to freeways that are never blocked off for gameday traffic (Dinkytowners can go up 10th Ave along 35W or south on it and hit 4th St to get to 35W N/S.. Prospect Park can head due west on University to 280 for 35W/94 access). And finally.. this is 7 days a year we're talking about here. Seven! Out of 104 weekend days in a year. Give me a break. I'd also ask what in the world these people are doing living so close to a university that is dominated by 18-24 year olds without kids, spouses, or jobs if they are not at least somewhat enthusiastic about the U's mission and functions (sporting or otherwise).

Why not work WITH them to give these people, who are in a great position to actually ENJOY gameday, some special deals on tickets, events, U functions, etc in exchange for the understanding of some of the activities the U would like to do surrounding Gameday. Or work with local real estate and city funding to make these homes a great place to live for recent grads by promoting special housing deals or something after graduation. Keep you best fans close and better yet close to either city for work/transportation. Just some ideas.

All the other ideas for gameday were great and have been discussed before many times. There is a new football/womens bball marketing person who was recently hired (not sure who), and hopefully they pay attention to ideas like these.

I'm still confused what number of people actually live in the adjacent areas of campus. I'm talking flat-out in Dinkytown and Stadium Village (you could convince me Prospect Park east of 27th is a close enough neighborhood as well). How many of the people that live there were there before the University was a 40,000+ behemoth of students and activity? How loud does the stadium actually get on gameday? How often is that noise earlier or past a reasonable hour of the day (last I checked games end no later than 10:30 and start no earlier than 11 AM). These residences are also on the fringe side of campus with multiple accesses to freeways and roads leading to freeways that are never blocked off for gameday traffic (Dinkytowners can go up 10th Ave along 35W or south on it and hit 4th St to get to 35W N/S.. Prospect Park can head due west on University to 280 for 35W/94 access). And finally.. this is 7 days a year we're talking about here. Seven! Out of 104 weekend days in a year. Give me a break. I'd also ask what in the world these people are doing living so close to a university that is dominated by 18-24 year olds without kids, spouses, or jobs if they are not at least somewhat enthusiastic about the U's mission and functions (sporting or otherwise).

Yup! Perfect! I've been saying this for years to anyone that will listen. When you purchase a house near one of the largest campuses on Earth, a place that has been there 160 years nonetheless, you forfeit your right to bitch about noise, mess, traffic, partying, etc. If you didn't know those things coming in, you are very, very stupid and naïve. If you just figured this out after living there for years, and want to complain about it, get a clue instead. If you don't like noise and live by a major University campus, move. It really is just that simple. The University existed long before you did, and it will continue to exist long after you're dust. Get with the program or gtfo.

RailBaron/dpodoll~
What you're saying is logical. However, one common denominator for most NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) opposition to, well, anything is that it often isn't logical (i.e. ignoring that living next to a huge college campus comes with its share of noise/traffic/etc) or is selfish (i.e. my perfect world in my home is paramount and everyone else can suck it). Expecting otherwise is asking for disappointment. And one other common denominator for NIMBY opposition is that when it's loud enough it can really grind change to a halt.

Why not work WITH them to give these people, who are in a great position to actually ENJOY gameday, some special deals on tickets, events, U functions, etc in exchange for the understanding of some of the activities the U would like to do surrounding Gameday. Or work with local real estate and city funding to make these homes a great place to live for recent grads by promoting special housing deals or something after graduation. Keep you best fans close and better yet close to either city for work/transportation. Just some ideas.
These are some good ideas though.

Yup! Perfect! I've been saying this for years to anyone that will listen. When you purchase a house near one of the largest campuses on Earth, a place that has been there 160 years nonetheless, you forfeit your right to bitch about noise, mess, traffic, partying, etc. If you didn't know those things coming in, you are very, very stupid and naïve. If you just figured this out after living there for years, and want to complain about it, get a clue instead. If you don't like noise and live by a major University campus, move. It really is just that simple. The University existed long before you did, and it will continue to exist long after you're dust. Get with the program or gtfo.

Reminds me of a news story I saw on a family that moved right next to Yellowstone. The wife was up in arms that she had to worry about the recent sightings of bears in her area. She felt that the park officials weren't doing enough to keep her young child safe.

Honestly, the non-student neighborhood groups are of absolutely no consequence to me if I'm the U. Call it whatever you want, i wouldn't give them one damn second of my time, much less tiptoe around their concerns by neutering my university's football gameday, a traditional time of the fall where nationwide campuses find ways to celebrate themselves and their histories.

Telling them to "shove it", along with the Minneapolis city council/parks board/St. paul city council/anyone else who stands in the U's way is exactly what the Kaler and the new AD needs to do. Stand tough and see what happens. The pushback can be negotiated, but what reason do any of the opponents to all these great gameday ideas have if they aren't called out on it.

There will be no change unless SOMEONE stands up for the U's right to a proper college football gameday.

Honestly, the non-student neighborhood groups are of absolutely no consequence to me if I'm the U. Call it whatever you want, i wouldn't give them one damn second of my time, much less tiptoe around their concerns by neutering my university's football gameday, a traditional time of the fall where nationwide campuses find ways to celebrate themselves and their histories.
The City cares about what they say (at least, they have traditionally from what I've read). Since any wholesale improvements to the gameday experience will likely require the City's help (i.e. ever allowing tailgating in non-U lots) and since they work with the City and neighborhood associations on other issues telling them where to stuff it may not be advisable.

Telling them to "shove it", along with the Minneapolis city council/parks board/St. paul city council/anyone else who stands in the U's way is exactly what the Kaler and the new AD needs to do. Stand tough and see what happens. The pushback can be negotiated, but what reason do any of the opponents to all these great gameday ideas have if they aren't called out on it.

There will be no change unless SOMEONE stands up for the U's right to a proper college football gameday.
Maybe I'm just getting hung up on your choice of words. You don't threaten or piss off the City or NA's intentionally if you ever expect to get their support on anything else you do. But you can figure out what changes you can make that you feel are legally sound/can be made unilaterally buy the U and then tell them "this is what we're doing, here is plenty of advanced notice, and no we are not opening this to discussion". In other words, their is a right way and a wrong way to do this sort of thing. And the extremely confrontational route your language calls for is the wrong way.

The City cares about what they say (at least, they have traditionally from what I've read). Since any wholesale improvements to the gameday experience will likely require the City's help (i.e. ever allowing tailgating in non-U lots) and since they work with the City and neighborhood associations on other issues telling them where to stuff it may not be advisable.

Maybe I'm just getting hung up on your choice of words. You don't threaten or piss off the City or NA's intentionally if you ever expect to get their support on anything else you do. But you can figure out what changes you can make that you feel are legally sound/can be made unilaterally buy the U and then tell them "this is what we're doing, here is plenty of advanced notice, and no we are not opening this to discussion". In other words, their is a right way and a wrong way to do this sort of thing. And the extremely confrontational route your language calls for is the wrong way.

Fair enough. I'm no politician or administrator, I like it straightforward and no BS.
You're language is better in this context, but it just seems like the U is constantly bending over backwards to everybody. They don't seem to have a problem getting things figured out in other places, even some as screwed up as Minneapolis.
I suppose I'm of the assumption the U's already inquired politely about some of these things and was already told no, if they haven't even tried then there's a more diplomatic way to start asking than my way, if not, well i digress.

You're language is better in this context, but it just seems like the U is constantly bending over backwards to everybody. They don't seem to have a problem getting things figured out in other places, even some as screwed up as Minneapolis.
I suppose I'm of the assumption the U's already inquired politely about some of these things and was already told no, if they haven't even tried then there's a more diplomatic way to start asking than my way, if not, well i digress.
And this may be true. But it's also likely that the U may not have the power we hope/think they do in many of these cases. I think one thing that would help all around is clear communication from the U to boosters and fans about plans they'd like to implement. In other words, if the new AD puts the U on a course to improve the gameday atmosphere that plan should be made as public as possible. This allows the U to better market the parts of the plan that they succeed at and it allows for them to call upon the U community to help lobby for any changes that are blocked by the City or the NA's or whoever.

And this may be true. But it's also likely that the U may not have the power we hope/think they do in many of these cases. I think one thing that would help all around is clear communication from the U to boosters and fans about plans they'd like to implement. In other words, if the new AD puts the U on a course to improve the gameday atmosphere that plan should be made as public as possible. This allows the U to better market the parts of the plan that they succeed at and it allows for them to call upon the U community to help lobby for any changes that are blocked by the City or the NA's or whoever.

Right on!
Public opinion is not going to be against the U if they dangle a carrot of tailgating and fun out there for the general public.
As for the U's power, I'd hope Minnesota's largest educational institution could made several power plays both behind the scenes and in the public to sway politicians opinions.
I'm of the assumption they simply haven't had the guts to do so at this point, logically they must have already tried to get some of this stuff done and were told no.
Again, make the public aware of what you are trying to do.

As for the U's power, I'd hope Minnesota's largest educational institution could made several power plays both behind the scenes and in the public to sway politicians opinions.
I'm sure they can. But these decisions don't exist in a vacuum. Any lobbying they do for football gameday could easily come at the expense of other things they want. Balancing those priorities is likely more difficult than we could imagine.

That said, I'm quite sure that "risk adverse" or "non-confrontation" decision making is as large (if not a larger) problem. Kaler called this out in his first State of the U speech. I'm just tempering my expectations because simply overcoming the internal "forces of No" will be tough enough. More than a spine will be needed to overcome both the internal issues and the external ones too.

Fair enough. I'm no politician or administrator, I like it straightforward and no BS.

I think that you underestimate how screwed up the City is. They have NO desire to assist the U on any of these matters. With the light rail route, they sided with the Met Council because they want passengers to go "through" the U, not "to" the U.

There has never been an agreement on tailgating, let alone alcohol in the tailgate lots around the Bank. Smartly, the U presented their "plan" only days before the Air Force game, and the U is still in violation of at least a half dozen (ridiculously stupid) City ordinances.

I guess that the City Council is willing to look away, but not willing to be a party to the Game Day experience. To ask the CC to give the U tacit approval of an expansion of Game Day would cause them to "reopen the unopened". That's something the U wants to avoid. I feel really bad for the owners of private parking lots, who currently have City vehicles and employees prowling about taking pictures of tailgaters. The lot owners have had to get creative JUST TO ALLOW GAME DAY PARKING, let alone tailgating. Now THAT is riduclous.

So, it's a tightrope, and the U doesn't have a net at this time. I've got no answers. As they say, "you can't argue with a crazy person". Maybe someone in the legislature will get smart and eke by some State Statute that can save Minneapolis from itself in this matter. I doubt it.

I think that you underestimate how screwed up the City is.
I don't. But I also don't recall seeing links to the worst of the worst claims against the City (the exception being the ban on private lot tailgating which I had confirmed to me in person by associate AD's from the U who told me what city ordinance to look for). As a result, I assume the worst but often won't claim it because I haven't seen it proved true beyond the anecdotal stuff.

There has never been an agreement on tailgating, let alone alcohol in the tailgate lots around the Bank. Smartly, the U presented their "plan" only days before the Air Force game, and the U is still in violation of at least a half dozen (ridiculously stupid) City ordinances.
I see this mentioned here all the time but has anyone ever been able to provide a link (or cite a specific personal conversation) to back it up? I'm not saying it's wrong, I'd just like to read more about it if I can. When I took my tour of TCF back in 2008 Phil Esten was talking openly about the U's plans and said they had been working with the City on their plans for over a year.

I feel really bad for the owners of private parking lots, who currently have City vehicles and employees prowling about taking pictures of tailgaters. The lot owners have had to get creative JUST TO ALLOW GAME DAY PARKING, let alone tailgating. Now THAT is riduclous.
This is my biggest beef. You look anywhere else in the B1G and you can see what a huge part of the gameday atmosphere business lots become. This is one of those areas where I think it would make sense for the U to get the wider "U community" involved in lobbying for change. However, if the issues discussed above with the U not being in compliance with the City are true then I can understand their hesitation. Still, I think it's a battle they could win.

So, it's a tightrope, and the U doesn't have a net at this time. I've got no answers. As they say, "you can't argue with a crazy person". Maybe someone in the legislature will get smart and eke by some State Statute that can save Minneapolis from itself in this matter. I doubt it.
It definitely is tricky going. That's why I think the openness about plans and goals is so important. Since it's likely the U will fail to achieve some of what it sets out to do being open about the goals and challenges helps frame the debate in a positive way for the U. As opposed to now when they often seem indifferent.

I think that you underestimate how screwed up the City is. They have NO desire to assist the U on any of these matters. With the light rail route, they sided with the Met Council because they want passengers to go "through" the U, not "to" the U.

I guess that the City Council is willing to look away, but not willing to be a party to the Game Day experience. To ask the CC to give the U tacit approval of an expansion of Game Day would cause them to "reopen the unopened". That's something the U wants to avoid. I feel really bad for the owners of private parking lots, who currently have City vehicles and employees prowling about taking pictures of tailgaters. The lot owners have had to get creative JUST TO ALLOW GAME DAY PARKING, let alone tailgating. Now THAT is riduclous.

Then, what? There is no hope?

I get that the city is basically against anything and everything, then why try to convince them. Go over their head, go up to their face, do whatever you want and let the public see how screwed up the situation is.
It's time to pick a fight with the city if they will not help.

I can envision several public displays that would be both powerful and asinine to point out the ridiculousness of it all.

Maybe the U could start their own city or something, find local partners to aid in the basic utilities Minneapolis provides.

Blockade streets on Saturdays and challenge Minneapolis's authority with 40000 gopher fans as a show of force.

only slightly sarcastic here, but seriously if nothing can be done, then we are forever doomed to the current state of things.

From the city's website. Some interesting things were underlined, hilarious ones bolded.:D

Tailgating at the University of Minnesota

Minneapolis Ordinance 319.310(c) defines the area that allows tailgaiting with alcohol and the U of MN area is not included.

However, the Minnesota Legislature gave the U of M the authority to choose to allow tailgating with alcohol. Only the lots on U of M property that they have selected may tailgate with alcohol.

See the University of Minnesota Tailgating Policy for rules and locations.

Tailgating with alcohol is not allowed in parking lots surrounding the U of M.

People can tailgate in a licensed parking lot without alcohol if it is allowed by the parking lot owner.

Alcohol is a highly controlled substance and can only be consumed in designated areas. Minneapolis police will enforce these ordinances to ensure the safety of residents as well as visitors.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/parking/parking_gameday

The link goes on to explain the private lot situation, which is dumb as H.
The state needs to come in and play grownup here. Or the U needs to play rebellious teenager.

Top Bottom