What Could the University Do to Make A Better Gameday Atmosphere?

Get rid of 'rah' at the end of the rouser. Guess what, if nobody else says it after you've been saying it for fifteen years it is not going to catch on.
Um, that's kind of the point. Jamie says it. Also, lots of folks do say it. Almost everyone in my tailgate group says it instinctively.

GoAUpher said:
Um, that's kind of the point. Jamie says it. Also, lots of folks do say it. Almost everyone in my tailgate group says it instinctively.
He must not go to any games. My section loves it.

1. Win
2. To the ones saying the U should provide TVs in the tailgate lots...you didn't go to the USC game did ya? Those guys all bring their huge TVs and dishes and are ready to watch a day full of football.
3. I said this before, but the U should set up tailgate tents on the mall with some basic utilities and rent them out to people who want to come to the games via light rail or students who want to gather. Maybe standard setup is a small grill, folding table, cooler and tent. Then the kids can bring their food and beverage, tailgate, go to the game and not have to worry about cleanup or hauling everything home.
4. Show up and be loud (this is a secondary effect of winning)

He must not go to any games. My section loves it.
Well, and even if it were completely true it wouldn't matter. Jamie doesn't say it because the idea was to start a tradition where all the fans say it. Jamie says it because at some point Jamie added it to what he does. I'm assuming it was added as part of his job on the PA at hockey games and then brought over to FB.

3. I said this before, but the U should set up tailgate tents on the mall with some basic utilities and rent them out to people who want to come to the games via light rail or students who want to gather. Maybe standard setup is a small grill, folding table, cooler and tent. Then the kids can bring their food and beverage, tailgate, go to the game and not have to worry about cleanup or hauling everything home.
This has long been a thought of mine as well ever since I read about Vandy doing something similar. Seeing how folks tailgate at USC (despite almost all of the parking on campus being ramp parking...sound familiar to anyone?) made it clear to me how cool something like this could be. Plus it's a revenue stream. This will be part of the e-mail I send to Kaler and the new AD.

1. Win
2. To the ones saying the U should provide TVs in the tailgate lots...you didn't go to the USC game did ya? Those guys all bring their huge TVs and dishes and are ready to watch a day full of football.
4. Show up and be loud (this is a secondary effect of winning)

Sounds like a good idea. You couldn't ask for a better location/setting.

GoAUpher said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Rouser

According to Wikipedia it is part of the rouser. Yet it is inaudible in the crowd. Are you saying that he's not trying to 'prompt', 'teach', or 'correct' the crowd? He doesn't sing the rest of the rouser - just says 'Rah'. My point is that if it was going to catch on, it would have by now. It honestly feels like we're being lectured on the correct way to sing a song by a stubborn PA announcer.

If he said, "And that's another Golder Gopher..." and nobody ever said "First Down!", I'd expect him to cut it out after a while.

In any event it seems I'm in the minority on this and it isn't a big deal.

Somebody stole my flag

I want a U flag hanging on the capitol building, draped from minneapolis city hall, hanging by MOA, hanging by best buy, target and 3m corporate, and from all of your houses!!!!

Then a nephew found out. He picked up a 150 year flag for me. Looks fabulous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Rouser

According to Wikipedia it is part of the rouser. Yet it is inaudible in the crowd. Are you saying that he's not trying to 'prompt', 'teach', or 'correct' the crowd? He doesn't sing the rest of the rouser - just says 'Rah'. My point is that if it was going to catch on, it would have by now. It honestly feels like we're being lectured on the correct way to sing a song by a stubborn PA announcer.

If he said, "And that's another Golder Gopher..." and nobody ever said "First Down!", I'd expect him to cut it out after a while.

In any event it seems I'm in the minority on this and it isn't a big deal.

We should be be so lucky. At the Nebraska game a bunch Husker fans were sitting behind us and after the second time he did that lame cheer one of them said, "they cheer for a first down?"
To which I replied. "When you suck you have to celebrate the little things." How in gods name did that ever get started?

If we start winning, the atmosphere will take care of itself.

We should be be so lucky. At the Nebraska game a bunch Husker fans were sitting behind us and after the second time he did that lame cheer one of them said, "they cheer for a first down?"
Yup. So do A LOT of places. I've said it before and I've said it again, you don't get rid of the one cheer (besides the Rouser) that almost the whole stadium does because it confuses or annoys opposing fans. That's silly.

There's nothing at all lame about the first down cheer. So what if our opponents don't like our traditions? They aren't supposed to, they aren't for them. Michigan has a tradition of leaping up to touch a banner. You might see it as lame - unless you're a Michigan fan. To them, it is important. Most traditions look pretty lame to an outsider.

Caving in on traditions because some opposing fan talks smack is like handing over your lunch money to the bully.

Traditions just don't start over night or over a three year period. Give it time, be patient. Trying to manufacture traditions is a horrible idea. Traditions and atmosphere are organic and will appear if you give it time, and win a few football games. The best thing the U can do is focus on the little thing (i.e t.v.'s in the tailgate lots, students being able to drink beer in public without fear of being tased, and finding ways to win a couple more games) will add more to the atmosphere of the "bank" than any type of manufactured "Ski-U-Mah" cheer lead by the PA announcer.

Traditions just don't start over night or over a three year period. Give it time, be patient. Trying to manufacture traditions is a horrible idea. Traditions and atmosphere are organic and will appear if you give it time, and win a few football games. The best thing the U can do is focus on the little thing (i.e t.v.'s in the tailgate lots, students being able to drink beer in public without fear of being tased, and finding ways to win a couple more games) will add more to the atmosphere of the "bank" than any type of manufactured "Ski-U-Mah" cheer lead by the PA announcer.
While I agree on the whole, some traditions have to be manufactured or they can't happen. For instance, there is really no good organic way to start a Ski-U-Mah cheer. The way the went about it wasn't good. But organized chanting that splits the stadium into 3 parts? That by definition requires leadership and coordination.

While I agree on the whole, some traditions have to be manufactured or they can't happen. For instance, there is really no good organic way to start a Ski-U-Mah cheer. The way the went about it wasn't good. But organized chanting that splits the stadium into 3 parts? That by definition requires leadership and coordination.

And they need to stick with it for more than a few games.

I live in Tallahassee, the home of Florida State. On Friday nights before a Saturday home football game they have what's called "Downtown Get Down". It's basically an outdoor pep rally featuring food from local restaurants, entertainment, the cheerleaders, marching band, etc. It helps fans get revved up for the game on Saturday. Why not have a similar celebration on the U campus (Campus Get Down?). It might help get the students better involved and hopefully make Football Saturday "Football Weekend" instead.

Send a group of people to the English Premier League and get ideas what atmosphere really is about or for that matter anywhere in Europe has better atmosphere than anything states side.

Send a group of people to the English Premier League and get ideas what atmosphere really is about or for that matter anywhere in Europe has better atmosphere than anything states side.

Wow Europe sounds so cool. Tell us more.

That is because they are watching soccer. The fans have to do something to keep from falling asleep.

To which I replied. "When you suck you have to celebrate the little things." How in gods name did that ever get started?

If we start winning, the atmosphere will take care of itself.

I feel the same way when Nebraska Basketball Fans scream and chant after they hit a 2-pointer..

Instead of Sweet Caroline in the 3 quarter. Play Tarzan Boy by Baltimora. Also, incorporate the HBO Intro from John Adams followed by Don't back Down by Tom Petty as the team takes the field.

That is because they are watching soccer. The fans have to do something to keep from falling asleep.

If you understand the nuances of the game it isn't boring, same as any sport.

Getting back to the original topic.......
1. Create some atmosphere for those of us tailgating in st.paul. Let it open up 24hrs in advance and see it become a full party atmosphere. Hang some flags so it actually looks like a gopher event rather than getting overrun by bison, nebraska, hawkeye or Bucky fans.
2. Create a reason for me (coming from the st.paul lot) to get to the stadium early. Today, there is little incentive to show up before the opening kick. Set up a space outside the stadium for people to gather and heaven forbid, enjoy a tasty adult beverage. Show a game from the b10 on the jumbo tron. At least let me carry a few beverages onto the bus so I can join others in the stadium lots without having to feel like a criminal.
3. Have a board in the stadium showing the scores of the other b10 games beyond the slow scrolling they have now. Believe it or not, I like to know what is going on in other b10 games.
4. Show some highlights for. Other games on the video board during timeouts. Imagine the cheers if you showed a team scoring a td against Wisconsin or Iowa. It would be much better than shots of people waving to themselves from the crowd.
5. Beer at the games will not corrupt America's youth
6. We have a video board that is among the 10 biggest in the nation. Can we use it for replays once in a while using the entire screen?
7. Can we Get some sponsors that reflect the tastes of people less than 65? I appreciate the generosity of the various sponsors, but does anyone, especially the students, care about the "Boston Scientific Heart of the Game"? Or the dorky guy dancing for the health insurance company? Can we ever get rid of Washburn McCreavey funeral home? If we are going to be bombarded by ads, let's get a little more creative.

[WHB Brewer]Getting back to the original topic.......
1. Create some atmosphere for those of us tailgating in st.paul. Let it open up 24hrs in advance and see it become a full party atmosphere. Hang some flags so it actually looks like a gopher event rather than getting overrun by bison, nebraska, hawkeye or Bucky fans.

Probably doable, but I'll bet Falcon Heights city statutes forbid.

2. Create a reason for me (coming from the st.paul lot) to get to the stadium early. Today, there is little incentive to show up before the opening kick. Set up a space outside the stadium for people to gather and heaven forbid, enjoy a tasty adult beverage. Show a game from the b10 on the jumbo tron. At least let me carry a few beverages onto the bus so I can join others in the stadium lots without having to feel like a criminal.

There is the GLC Tailgate at Williams Arena. As for a walk-up, beer only option, Mpls. city statute forbids alcohol in parking lots. They're already breaking the law in lots 37, Gold, Maroon, etc. They have to be careful. Take your complaint to the Soviet City Council.

3. Have a board in the stadium showing the scores of the other b10 games beyond the slow scrolling they have now. Believe it or not, I like to know what is going on in other b10 games.

Don't get this one. Football averages about 8 scores a game. They roll the scores every couple of minutes.

4. Show some highlights for. Other games on the video board during timeouts. Imagine the cheers if you showed a team scoring a td against Wisconsin or Iowa. It would be much better than shots of people waving to themselves from the crowd.

I like this idea, but I wonder about network restriction issues. Besides, if Iwoa is playing Siwonskin, I would ask that there be no recognition that they even exist, let alone that they are playing each other.

5. Beer at the games will not corrupt America's youth

Agreed. Take your complaint to the Soviet City Council, or the Central Committee in St. Paul. Good f@ckin' luck.

6. We have a video board that is among the 10 biggest in the nation. Can we use it for replays once in a while using the entire screen?

I have thought that this device is under-utilized. I would continue to send direct email to everyone, including Kaler. This is a no-brainer.

7. Can we Get some sponsors that reflect the tastes of people less than 65? I appreciate the generosity of the various sponsors, but does anyone, especially the students, care about the "Boston Scientific Heart of the Game"? Or the dorky guy dancing for the health insurance company? Can we ever get rid of Washburn McCreavey funeral home? If we are going to be bombarded by ads, let's get a little more creative.

Boston Scientific and Washburn-McCreavy give as much money as anyone to U athletics. If you have some better sponsors lined up, please let us know. Don't sign up Target or 3M, though, because we don't like who else they donate to...

This drives me nuts! I don't think they even show all the scores of the major college games. It's crazy how long it takes the scores to rotate. You should be able to look up at the board for a minute or so and see all the results/scores of every game played by the Top 25 and Big Ten.

Lots of ideas but few original in this thread IMO. Our athletic administration to this point thinks small and not beyond the obvious realm of what they control, i.e. anything on their property. Two things that stick out to me in comparison to what I believe would be happening on other Big 10 campuses on gameday.

My routine last season was to park in Lot 79 View attachment 1474 which is designated as the lot on the East Bank for day-of-game non-reserved parking. This lot usually filled up 90 minutes prior to kickoff and for $20 per game fit the bill as I usually hit the bars or a buddies tailgate before the game. Would a lot 3 blocks away from the stadium on university land be used a day-of-game, non-tailgating parking? No way bleepin way! See Nebraska's structure http://parking.unl.edu/maps/FootballParkingMap.pdf or Michigan State's parkingmap.jpg

Double the price if want but allow the tailgating. For the Iowa game last year, per usual, one parking attendent manning the entire lot. The Iowa rubes, at least a half-dozen cars by my account, where tailgating in full sight right out of their cars/pickups/tractors and I asked the attendent, "are you gonna just let them tailgate like that because I sure can't pull that off with my friends?" His response, "They're from Iowa. They have nothing else to do." Missing revenue stream #1.

Lost revenue #2 is Lot 74 just off Huron Blvd. between Washington Avenue and Essex St SE. Probably able to hold 150-200 cars and its a total wasteland on gameday. No parking. Nothing. Nada. One-hundred fifty plus spaces totally unused. Its downfall is only one entrance in via narrow Delaware St., one out via Huron towards I-94. I'd like to think Dr. Tom Obsorne wouldn't let those spots go unsued 2 blocks from Memorial Stadium. Again, charge $40 per vehicle, allow tailgating and clear minimum $30,000 per season after the negibile expenses.

Thought numero 3, how many of you have crossed the street at the confluence of University, Huron and Washington on the south side of the stadium? Ever notice that triangular notch of mounded, green space? Well, neither did anyone at the City of Mpls or the University. My guess it is now the domain of Central Corridor according to this page http://www.metrocouncil.org/transportation/ccorridor/stations/StadiumVillage.htm
Why can't the expanding fleet of food trucks that hock their goods http://www.citypages.com/microsites/food-truck-map/ in the downtowns on weekdays set up shop here on gamedays? No doubt expand the culinary options pregame. If that triangular-green space is out of commission why not set up shop on food truck row along food truck row on University Avenue adjacent to the building known as University Office Plaza (aka, the brick eyesore of an edifice on the south side of the stadium). These trucks would provide a more carnival-like atmosphere. Have a feeling that the U would not like to undercut the local merchants or their own concessions inside the stadium.

Fact is, every single University-owned piece of surface parking should be maximized on gameday. Donor lots within view of the stadium, day-of-game sale without view of the stadium. Postgame traffic be damned. I don't agree with those that since every spot requiring a donation is technically filled on-paper that the University has maximized it donor potential. Not forward thinking enough. Make room for those just starting out as fans, new students. Those are ones who will be creating new memories and connections to the football program who may become the one big whale 20 plus years from now that wants to give back in a big way.

Top Bottom