What Could the University Do to Make A Better Gameday Atmosphere?

GoGophers2005

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been hashed to no end, but it seems that it is a priority with Coach Kill to get the University to do some different things. Last year he got the U to block off the street in front of the stadium for the students and even paid for hot dogs and sodas.

What other things can the U do differently to improve the gameday experience?

What happens in 10-20 years when the premium parking that rings the stadium are turned into buildings? Where will the premium parking be?

The U should think of these things now.

One small idea I had was that the U should be providing a bon fire in all or nearly all tailgating lots from mid October through the end of the season. Last year we probably had the best weather ever, but people do tend to want to stay home on those cold days. Like I said, this is a small example, but doing these little things turn into big things when put together. I'm in Lot 88 across the river and we have a huge open field in front of our parking spots that would be perfect for all the lots around us to have a couple bon fires.

1. Charge much, much less than they do now for parking/tailgating next to the stadium

2. Tell neighborhood groups where to shove it when they complain about noise, litter, etc.

3. Get rid of most/all of the ridiculous advertisements and promotions

4. Have something better for an official pre-game event than the lame carnival (or whatever you want to call it) that they put on last year

5. Convince the legislature to let the U have control over its own decision-making re: alcohol sales

6. Have a STH event similar to (or better than) the ridiculous and egregious non-STH meet-and-greet replete with free food and alcohol they held last year

7. Give people a reason (free swag, food, etc.) to show up for the Victory Walk

1. Charge much, much less than they do now for parking/tailgating next to the stadium

2. Tell neighborhood groups where to shove it when they complain about noise, litter, etc.

3. Get rid of most/all of the ridiculous advertisements and promotions

4. Have something better for an official pre-game event than the lame carnival (or whatever you want to call it) that they put on last year

5. Convince the legislature to let the U have control over its own decision-making re: alcohol sales

6. Have a STH event similar to (or better than) the ridiculous and egregious non-STH meet-and-greet replete with free food and alcohol they held last year

7. Give people a reason (free swag, food, etc.) to show up for the Victory Walk

Great ideas!

Get rid of advertising and reduce the cost of the lots would be a loss of money for the athletic department and football team.

And then spend less of that money to give you something free.

Great ideas!

Get rid of advertising and reduce the cost of the lots would be a loss of money for the athletic department and football team.

Well, if they had the alcohol revenue and the parking revenue (instead of all the non-donation money flowing to PTS) then the ad thing might be slightly more doable. It may never be possible, but the sheer volume of advertising you're hit with at a Gopher game is pretty over the top. It's a tough balance for a dept that doesn't have a huge revenue producing FB team (when compared to others in the B1G at least) I'm sure.

I liked the way they had it the first year. Big TV outdoors to watch other Big Ten games and drink beer on Alumni Center grounds. Need to have a big TV outdoors so all can cheer against Wisconsin before our game.

Still whining about not getting a free hot dog last year. Shocking.

Well, if they had the alcohol revenue and the parking revenue (instead of all the non-donation money flowing to PTS) then the ad thing might be slightly more doable. It may never be possible, but the sheer volume of advertising you're hit with at a Gopher game is pretty over the top. It's a tough balance for a dept that doesn't have a huge revenue producing FB team (when compared to others in the B1G at least) I'm sure.

I agree the parking money should go to the AD, I thought I heard that was going to change, but I don't think that would make up for the loss of advertisement dollars. I'm not sure how many parking spaces the U sells, 5000 would be 700k. I have a tough time believing it would be more than that but I'm too lazy to look it up.

WAY MORE CHEERS.

We need a way better intro to get the stadium rocking. Last year's was a step in the right direction, but was still too short and didn't hype the crowd enough.

Only play the rouser for touchdowns. Not after a fumble recovery in the third quarter when we are down 20.

Side note: For the sake of my sanity, get actual cash registers. It is ridiculous they make the employees hand enter in credit card numbers, which they usually mess up the first time.

Not necessarily. Having a full lot with lower-priced passes could produce more revenue than having a quarter-full lot with ridiculously expensive passes if they are priced correctly. The problem is that the U is more concerned with promulgating an inflated value for the spots than they are with creating a better gameday experience for the average fan.

Still whining about not getting a free hot dog last year. Shocking.

You're not mischaracterizing and misrepresenting my argument at all! Great post!

Curseislifted33 said:
WAY MORE CHEERS.

We need a way better intro to get the stadium rocking. Last year's was a step in the right direction, but was still too short and didn't hype the crowd enough.
What? I liked this.....

http://t.co/FcToSZw

I agree the parking money should go to the AD, I thought I heard that was going to change, but I don't think that would make up for the loss of advertisement dollars. I'm not sure how many parking spaces the U sells, 5000 would be 700k. I have a tough time believing it would be more than that but I'm too lazy to look it up.
I don't think they can get rid of advertising. Very few programs have the ability to do that. I just think anything the can do to make it less in your face would be an improvement to the gameday atmosphere. For instance, replays (even of many touchdowns) aren't full screen on the huge scoreboard. The "TOUCHDOWN" graphic is and then the replay is smaller and boxed in by ads. That's ridiculous. I understand the ads being present during the game. But when even touchdown replays aren't full screen it's gone too far. That's the sort of thing I'm thinking of.

As for parking money changing, I hope you're remembering correctly. Obviously PTS should be able to get paid back for the costs associated with running the lots, but to keep the money is so silly. It's money that they wouldn't get without the game so why do they get to keep it when they aren't the part of the U earning it?

I think 5000 spots sold seems like a reasonable number to assume (since we don't have access to the real numbers) and $700K seems like a fair yearly estimate for football (again, given the lack of "real" numbers to link to).

Just win MORE Big Ten fooball games EVERY season. Finish higer in the Big Ten stadings and qualify for a bowl game at least 90% of the time. Continue to improve by graduating ever increasing numbers of student athletes from the Football Team. Always run a completely clean and honest Football Program. Start taking away the student's tickets IF they don't show up, make their presence felt and stay the whole game. Hire a FOOTBALL GUY for the athletic director position...maybe a Marc Trestman-type of ad might work well with Coach Kill, et. al.

Those things will take care of the "Game Day" problems that prexy b and badger joel macturi have left us with.

; 0 )

Start actually using "Ski U Mah" as a cheer. It is utterly flabbergasting why the band and cheerleaders continue shouting "Go Big Gold!" at the end of the band shorts (ie. Band Cheer #7). It's always such a downer to hear those big three punctuating notes at the end of the song that, in college football, always precede a three syllable yell by the fans and hear.... nothing. USE SKI U MAH, it is meaningful to us, it is unique, and it can distinguish our fan base.

We're still new to the on-campus thing; give it time. Block G was a great start, now build on it. Each year find what people like and what they don't, and in a few more years it'll be awesome. I thought he Atmosphere concert last homecoming was a FANTASTIC idea. Keep building and we'll get there. Seems like Kaler & Kill are the same page as the fans.

Start actually using "Ski U Mah" as a cheer. It is utterly flabbergasting why the band and cheerleaders continue shouting "Go Big Gold!" at the end of the band shorts (ie. Band Cheer #7). It's always such a downer to hear those big three punctuating notes at the end of the song that, in college football, always precede a three syllable yell by the fans and hear.... nothing. USE SKI U MAH, it is meaningful to us, it is unique, and it can distinguish our fan base.

They did try that in 2009 (as a cheer before the opening kickoff led by the SKI, U, and MAH flags) but it bombed out pretty badly. Personally, I think they gave up on it too early and didn't do a good job of publicizing or explaining the cheer. I'd like to see them give it another try, better publicized this time. For instance, they could use 30 seconds of a break to run a "Gopher History" explanation of Ski-U-Mah that also highlights that the cheer squad will lead the fans in it before the first kickoff. The could also include something about it in the STH packets, etc.

We're still new to the on-campus thing; give it time. Block G was a great start, now build on it. Each year find what people like and what they don't, and in a few more years it'll be awesome. I thought he Atmosphere concert last homecoming was a FANTASTIC idea. Keep building and we'll get there. Seems like Kaler & Kill are the same page as the fans.

I agree with this. I think it's just hard for the diehards like us because we see areas that can be improved and want it ASAP. :) Even if they implemented everything the majority of folks on here wanted, the atmosphere still wouldn't change overnight (especially not if the team still struggles on the field).

I agree with this. I think it's just hard for the diehards like us because we see areas that can be improved and want it ASAP. :) Even if they implemented everything the majority of folks on here wanted, the atmosphere still wouldn't change overnight (especially not if the team still struggles on the field).
Foundation of concrete, not sand. Applies to both fans & the team. :)

1. Let the U control liquor sales.
2. Get rid of the TSA shakedown at the gates, they have yet to find the flask.
3. More night games
4. 24 hour tailgating at one low price.
5. Send cheer pamphlets with season ticket packages.
6. Give the cheer pamphlets free with book purchases.

3. More night games
This one is controlled by the TV partners (who pick their primetime games) and the B1G (who slightly limits the # of PT slots via it's "No Night Games in November" rule). I don't believe the U has ever refused the chance to play at night.

Foundation of concrete, not sand. Applies to both fans & the team. :)
True, true. I'll have to remember to quote that when I e-mail the new AD and Kaler with some suggestions. I've been holding off since sending ideas to Maturi is pointless now that he's announced his exit. He's not going to make any further big shifts this late in the game.

This one is controlled by the TV partners (who pick their primetime games) and the B1G (who slightly limits the # of PT slots via it's "No Night Games in November" rule). I don't believe the U has ever refused the chance to play at night.

Thanks for the info. We must rock the bank at night to get more night games!

Great ideas!

ha! i was kind of thinking the same thing while i was reading that. kinds of seems to want his cake and to eat it too. ;)

WAY MORE CHEERS.

Only play the rouser for touchdowns. Not after a fumble recovery in the third quarter when we are down 20.

Side note: For the sake of my sanity, get actual cash registers. It is ridiculous they make the employees hand enter in credit card numbers, which they usually mess up the first time.

this is an in-stadium, in-game idea. i truly think it would be sweet to start a new U of M tradition were gophers fans pass a giant maroon and gold U of M flag (or two or three of them in different areas of the seating bowl) around the stadium bowl after the U of M scores a touchdown.

i know there are some hockey team fans who do this in a couple different places. but to you haters out there who might say it has to be something totally our own and unique, that is absolutely no reason why it couldn't be done at the U of M. or why we can't also make it a fun and cool tradition at the U of M too. i think it is pretty sweet visually, it gets a large majority of fans in the stands totally involved in the game and activity happening in the stadium (i.e. gets them off their butt throughout the game), and would just be fun.

see the youtube video below for an example of what i am talking about.

Not necessarily. Having a full lot with lower-priced passes could produce more revenue than having a quarter-full lot with ridiculously expensive passes if they are priced correctly. The problem is that the U is more concerned with promulgating an inflated value for the spots than they are with creating a better gameday experience for the average fan.

All the lots sold out last year, so that would not be a smart thing to do. Just because the lots aren't full 2 hours before the game, does not mean they didn't sell all the spots.

that is absolutely no reason why it couldn't be done at the U of M

While I do think this a cool idea (as it would be unique for CFB) I can see 2 current reasons why it would have the potential for failure. First is the issues with student section attendance. Easy way around that would be to not pass one through the SS (have one on each sideline). The other would be attendance issues. That encompasses both empty seats (though given the flag size that's a smaller concern) and the often large concentration of visiting fans (my bigger concern).

An unconstrained list
1) win more games
2) adjust prices to fill all the tailgating lots
3) fill the stadium no matter what it takes (lower prices, free tickets, ...)
4) sell alcohol in general seating
5) put TV's & speakers in the tailgate lots
6) manufacture fan fun in the stands - need more stuff like the rouser and not Ad driven. If Hockey can do it why can football? What about the 'Ski U Mah' cheer we were talking about before Air Force? Card stunts. Anything other than dumb ads. Feels like a Saints game but done worse. Needs to be STUDENT led!

They did try that in 2009 (as a cheer before the opening kickoff led by the SKI, U, and MAH flags) but it bombed out pretty badly. Personally, I think they gave up on it too early and didn't do a good job of publicizing or explaining the cheer. I'd like to see them give it another try, better publicized this time. For instance, they could use 30 seconds of a break to run a "Gopher History" explanation of Ski-U-Mah that also highlights that the cheer squad will lead the fans in it before the first kickoff. The could also include something about it in the STH packets, etc.

Great idea. Is there someone within the marketing department that these kind of ideas could be sent to?

I didn't dislike the INTRO video in 2011 (2009 was better, IMO), but they completely botched the team entrance last year. I'd be screaming at the end of the video, trying to get folks yelling, then the camera would cut to the entrance tunnel where the players would be casually walking through the tunnel. The music would switch to something that sounded like Pirates of the Caribbean, and we'd end up waiting another 30 seconds before the team ran on the field. HORRIBLE. Complete loss of crowd energy. Each week I though they'd fix it, but they never did...

Top Bottom