Week 1 Other Games Thread

Yeah, it's not fun watching most of the conference hang 40-burgers on their cupcake non-con opponents. Hopefully we will feast the next 2 weeks before the Iowa game.

Lobos up 24-17 on #22 Arizona. Fun game. Bronco Mendenhall has a good looking team.

Yeah, it's not fun watching most of the conference hang 40-burgers on their cupcake non-con opponents. Hopefully we will feast the next 2 weeks before the Iowa game.
That’s what you get with expanded playoffs, no reason to schedule anyone with a pulse.

Jay Sawvell is having a tough go at it in his head coaching debut.

Does anyone have a worse down the field passing game than the gophers? I’m watching all kinds of games and I don’t see it.
Weber State’s QB is currently 4/15 for 30 yards. To be fair, their OL is completely overmatched and he’s had no time. But their passing game is worse!

Lobos up 24-17 on #22 Arizona. Fun game. Bronco Mendenhall has a good looking team.
I think he is a really good coach.
But Arizona is overrated based on a good record in a conference with a bad bottom last year +
New Mexico lost to fall to 0-2 including a loss to an FCS team

So im not sure I would say he has a good looking team

A lot of panic right now.
Currently I would pick North Carolina to go 9-3 or 10-2 based on their schedule
Me too. So we are the only team in the Big10 that lost week one. We are also the only team in week one that played someone worth a damn.

And while this next comment has nothing to do with that, I’ll add it here anyway. Yes, the Gophers should beat Nevada, but that team is not the same dumpster fire it was last year. The new, competent coaching staff, has the Wolfpack playing well. After almost beating SMU opening week, they get a road win last night at Troy. It won’t be the cakewalk blowout game some are hoping for.

A lot of panic right now.
Currently I would pick North Carolina to go 9-3 or 10-2 based on their schedule
Yeah they have a very favorable draw. Probably lose to FSU and GA Tech plus maybe NC State but wow the rest of their schedule looks worse than the prior B10 West schedules

Yeah they have a very favorable draw. Probably lose to FSU and GA Tech plus maybe NC State but wow the rest of their schedule looks worse than the prior B10 West schedules
Between GT, FSU and NC State those are the games they aren’t favorites

But they probably choke one up somewhere

8-4 to 10-2 range
I’ll say 9-3

Top SEC teams just steamrolling their opponents. Speed and talent at WR seems to be the biggest difference. MN, WI & Iowa mostly just hope we have good TEs. So jealous of those recruiting bases. I’m still hopeful all the money in the Big Ten will eventually help us lure more of the talent north. Guys will get tired of waiting their turn on the bench down there.

Purdue wins its opener 49-0; Maryland wins 50-7; Iowa wins 40-0; Rutgers wins 44-7. None played foes at UNC level, of course. Wisconsin is the piker, winning only 28-14 (against good W Mich defense). Our old foes appear to be adapting to the new B1G--an evolving league that will play exciting, wide-open offense, which threatens to leave in the dust any intentionally plodding, explosive-plays-banned offense. If the Gophs next two games, against foes much weaker than we will face for the rest of the season, turn out to be low-scoring, grinding, conservative offense affairs, I really fear for the conference schedule. I think we have the horses to play 21st Century football; not sure our risk-averse coaches are ready to give them the chance. Go Gophers.

Last edited:

Purdue wins its opener 49-0; Maryland wins 50-7; Iowa wins 40-0; Rutgers wins 44-7. None played a foes at UNC level, of course. Wisconsin is the piker, winning only 28-14 (against good W Mich defense). Our old foes appear to be adapting to the new B1G--an evolving league that will play exciting, wide-open offense, which threatens to leaving in the dust any intentionally plodding, explosive-plays-banned offense. If the Gophs next two games, against foes much weaker than we will face for the rest of the season, turn out to be low-scoring, grinding, conservative offense affairs, I really fear for the conference schedule. I think we have the horses to play 21st Century football; not sure our risk-averse coaches are ready to give them the chance. Go Gophers.
Stop looking just at final scores. Rutgers ran the ball 46 times to 24 runs which were predominantly short passes. Iowa still runs the same offense of ground and pound with PA being their big pass attempts and had 6 points at half time. These teams all look predominantly the same which makes sense given entire coaching staffs are basically the same

The media timeouts have become more frequent and last longer. I noticed this yesterday. Some games easily passed 3.5 hours and even approached 4. This is not acceptable

The media timeouts have become more frequent and last longer. I noticed this yesterday. Some games easily passed 3.5 hours and even approached 4. This is not acceptable
I agree. The first half of the MN game felt like 5 mini games. Add in the 2 minute warning and it becomes worse and worse.

Top Bottom