UPDATED 8/24: Josh Perkins Commits to Gonzaga

Not elite but compared to Minnesota whole history it can only be said Historically that Minnesota is mediocre. Very few Big 10 titles,very few tournament runs and a poor overall winning percentage. Gonzaga is a near top 50 program and the Gophers are not. One of the posters does not think Arizona is west coast, because for the past 25 years they are the best team out there and now Sean Miller is recruiting gangbusters. This is all why hiring Pitino was a great move. Shoot for the moon. He will recruit very well especially starting with the 2015 class.

I don't think many actually consider Gonzaga to be an elite program. And they certainly haven't earned it.

I guess it depends on how you define elite. Top 5 program -- Gonzaga is obviously not. Top 20-25 -- perhaps. Doesn't really matter.

But I'm not ready to scoff at Gonzaga for a recruit like Perkins given our pretty mediocre record of the last 20 years. Big Ten or otherwise.

Joan Perkins will announce his college decision live this morning on Denver 9News. We should know where the top 25 recruit will be headed to college WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO!

Prediction: Gonzaga

This should be the number one thread all morning. Chance for this Mr. Perkins to play in the Big Ten and get national exposure, vs. two west coast teams with little media coverage due to the timing of the late games. Add in his freindship with Vaughan and Pitino charm and I think we have a great shot despite him not making an official visit. By great shot, I would say 33% since he has narrowed it down to Gonzaga, UCLA and MN.

This should be the number one thread all morning. Chance for this Mr. Perkins to play in the Big Ten and get national exposure, vs. two west coast teams with little media coverage due to the timing of the late games. Add in his freindship with Vaughan and Pitino charm and I think we have a great shot despite him not making an official visit. By great shot, I would say 33% since he has narrowed it down to Gonzaga, UCLA and MN.

I'm convinced he picks Gonzaga, but i still hope to hear the words "Minnesota Gophers" when he decides. Would be an excellent start to the 2014 class.

I'm trying to think we have a chance but it's hard!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Great shot? Hmmm.

I'm thinking closer to "So, you're telling me theres a chance" odds. As in 1 in a million.

So, when did his date change? According to ESPN yesterday the following was stated:

"How about Josh Perkins? He’s ready to pop. Word is Sept. 24 for a pick between Gonzaga, UCLA and Minnesota."

Not that this would be the first time ESPN was wrong, but were they off by a month?

So, when did his date change? According to ESPN yesterday the following was stated:

"How about Josh Perkins? He’s ready to pop. Word is Sept. 24 for a pick between Gonzaga, UCLA and Minnesota."

Not that this would be the first time ESPN was wrong, but were they off by a month?

They must have been wrong; he's had this date set for quite awhile now. I believe it's his birthday and he wanted to announce today.

I don't want to get into who school is better Gonzaga, or Minnesota. But we started work outs this week at the new school I work for. We have a kid who is already verbally committed to a Big Ten school. In the middle of the workout I joked that I was a gopher fan and that's why I kept hitting him harder with the pad. Not kidding, the kid said who? I said the Minnesota. He said again who? So I said the Minnesota Golden Gophers, and he said ok. But didn't even know they played in the Big Ten. So I asked some of the other kids and most couldn't name anything of the top of their heads. We don't have another D1 kid this year, but this is a program that plays in the City of Palms Classic often.

This kid is going to a rival school that's at the top of the Big Ten. I think some times we wrapped up and self important because it's something we follow so closely. But when I work camps most of the kids in other states no nothing about The U and almost all of them think it's in Miami. In Colorado if you asked them to name the top 25 basketball programs I don't think you get anyone to say Minnesota, but at least 1/4 of them would put the Zags up there.

This is the current reality. I'm in no ways saying its acceptable or pointing fingers at anyone but the Gophers Big Ten or not,is a program needs to be grown. When I coached in Omaha Akoy was a freshman and I told coach E about his 19 points 15 rebounds and 9 blocks in the title game. He said ok and nothing else. I got to speak with Bruce Weber at that same clinic, and he text the name to his assistant, and told him to call Omaha Central on Monday. I'm happy with the change in staffs because I saw more coaches from the U this summer then in the last four combined. They didn't even have a full staff for most of the summer....

The speculation is now official: Josh Perkins is going to be a Gonzaga Bulldog.

maybe if graham woodward would have gone to gonzaga we could have gotten perkins maybe?

I had a glimmer of hope when he started saying "The University of"...it's Gonzaga University, not the University of Gonzaga, Josh! Don't play me like that! Oh well, on to the next one I guess!

Not worried. We are in on plenty of exciting PGs. We will get one. I have a sneaking suspicion that Snider comes on board, if he decides soon enough and we get another PG sooner.

Hopefully Josh is okay with underachieving in the tournament.

I don't want to get into who school is better Gonzaga, or Minnesota. But we started work outs this week at the new school I work for. We have a kid who is already verbally committed to a Big Ten school. In the middle of the workout I joked that I was a gopher fan and that's why I kept hitting him harder with the pad. Not kidding, the kid said who? I said the Minnesota. He said again who? So I said the Minnesota Golden Gophers, and he said ok. But didn't even know they played in the Big Ten. So I asked some of the other kids and most couldn't name anything of the top of their heads. We don't have another D1 kid this year, but this is a program that plays in the City of Palms Classic often.

This kid is going to a rival school that's at the top of the Big Ten. I think some times we wrapped up and self important because it's something we follow so closely. But when I work camps most of the kids in other states no nothing about The U and almost all of them think it's in Miami. In Colorado if you asked them to name the top 25 basketball programs I don't think you get anyone to say Minnesota, but at least 1/4 of them would put the Zags up there.

This is the current reality. I'm in no ways saying its acceptable or pointing fingers at anyone but the Gophers Big Ten or not,is a program needs to be grown. When I coached in Omaha Akoy was a freshman and I told coach E about his 19 points 15 rebounds and 9 blocks in the title game. He said ok and nothing else. I got to speak with Bruce Weber at that same clinic, and he text the name to his assistant, and told him to call Omaha Central on Monday. I'm happy with the change in staffs because I saw more coaches from the U this summer then in the last four combined. They didn't even have a full staff for most of the summer....

This is total nonsense. Every kid who can dribble a basketball has heard of Tubby Smith. Tubby and the guys were not sitting around the office, playing cards and drinking beer. Things didn't work out, time to move on.

This is total nonsense. Every kid who can dribble a basketball has heard of Tubby Smith. Tubby and the guys were not sitting around the office, playing cards and drinking beer. Things didn't work out, time to move on.

Plus we were as high as 8th in the country this year

Ok so they have heard of Tubby, and? I wasn't trying to bash Tubby, I've meet the guy twice and I liked him a lot. One of my best friends in Denver was going to Tulsa to play for him, until Tubby got a better job. I was talking about the Gophers and the public perception outside of the state. Or in this case the region. I personally like Tubby, but I'm fan of the Gophers. Having coaches out and being aggressive raises the awareness of the program. Calhoun wrote in his book that they are not UNC, or Duke they need to go after at least five or six guys to fill one spot. I feel that's what is needed for this program at this time. That doesn't mean that I hate Tubby, or wish harm to him in anyway. I simply find the new trend more to my liking as a fan.

But you brought up something that I had never thought of (but I also didn't think I was bashing Tubby before), on Tuesday I'm going to see how many of our kids know where Tubby is coaching right now. I will bet it will be less than half. And again this is a program that plays in at least one top tournament every year this year it's City of Palms. They don't just read about these coaches, they see them in the stands in season and AAU. I don't think Tubby is as present in the kids minds as you think, and I also don't think it matters to a Gopher fan if high school kids from another part of the country know anything about Tubby but know I'm curious.

Again just for the record: Loved Tubby every time I spoke with him, more than one of his notes given on pressing of all thing, are present in my playbook (not a head coach atm), Tubby knows basketball, I bought and watch Minnesota Basketball the Journey every year at some point, If I can have the coaching career Tubby's had I would take it without question, and this is way coaches laugh at me when I tell them I read message boards.

Hopefully Josh is okay with underachieving in the tournament.

With the endless parade of McDonald's All Americans making their way to Spokane every season, only five Sweet Sixteen appearances since 1999 is a joke.

Ok so they have heard of Tubby, and? I wasn't trying to bash Tubby, I've meet the guy twice and I liked him a lot. One of my best friends in Denver was going to Tulsa to play for him, until Tubby got a better job. I was talking about the Gophers and the public perception outside of the state. Or in this case the region. I personally like Tubby, but I'm fan of the Gophers. Having coaches out and being aggressive raises the awareness of the program. Calhoun wrote in his book that they are not UNC, or Duke they need to go after at least five or six guys to fill one spot. I feel that's what is needed for this program at this time. That doesn't mean that I hate Tubby, or wish harm to him in anyway. I simply find the new trend more to my liking as a fan.

But you brought up something that I had never thought of (but I also didn't think I was bashing Tubby before), on Tuesday I'm going to see how many of our kids know where Tubby is coaching right now. I will bet it will be less than half. And again this is a program that plays in at least one top tournament every year this year it's City of Palms. They don't just read about these coaches, they see them in the stands in season and AAU. I don't think Tubby is as present in the kids minds as you think, and I also don't think it matters to a Gopher fan if high school kids from another part of the country know anything about Tubby but know I'm curious.

Again just for the record: Loved Tubby every time I spoke with him, more than one of his notes given on pressing of all thing, are present in my playbook (not a head coach atm), Tubby knows basketball, I bought and watch Minnesota Basketball the Journey every year at some point, If I can have the coaching career Tubby's had I would take it without question, and this is way coaches laugh at me when I tell them I read message boards.

Fair enough. Good luck in coaching! I put in 5 years as a volunteer pitching coach at a JUCO just to stay close to the game. I never really understood the fine points of the game until I coached.

Fair enough. Good luck in coaching! I put in 5 years as a volunteer pitching coach at a JUCO just to stay close to the game. I never really understood the fine points of the game until I coached.

You are right on, howie. I figured that if I had to put up with the fanhood being what they were when I coached, I decided if I am gonna put up with a$$holes, I'd make some money doing it. Hence, I became a Proctologist and learned how to deal with them from a bird's eye point of view: (*)..

In the middle of the workout I joked that I was a gopher fan and that's why I kept hitting him harder with the pad. Not kidding, the kid said who? I said the Minnesota. He said again who? So I said the Minnesota Golden Gophers, and he said ok. But didn't even know they played in the Big Ten.

Are you at BV? If so, kind of a unique guy that you'd be referring to (i.e., stays local) and might be a bad example as one who "doesn't know anything about Minnesota".

----------
Anyway, on Perkins. Have always said didn't think he'd be a good fit at Minnesota. Very good basketball player, though... but there are better fits for the Gopher program.

Top Bottom