UPDATED 8/24: Josh Perkins Commits to Gonzaga

Getting expelled from De La Salle and being a complete jackass in general, I'm guessing.

I don't think that had much, if anything to do with it. I think he was expelled in March and committed in April. He wouldn't have received any offers between that time anyway. If Royce had kept his recruitment open throughout the AAU season, then the expulsion probably would have kept some schools away, but it became irrelevant after Royce committed early.

“That’s kid’s talk,” he said. “They don’t know what’s best. It’s a dynamic duo for sure. That kid [Vaughn] is quite the talent. They base stuff on relationships. Where the game’s concerned, when you bring in another kid that commands as as many touches as you do you have to make sure that the institution that is recruiting you wants that.

Sheeze, what a dope.

"commands" touches. Unreal.

Good thing Shabazz got all those touches, it really boosted his draft stock.

Unless you're Kevin Durant, volume shooters in college need to figure out how to be more efficient otherwise it's not viewed as an attribute by NBA scouts. It's why Austin Rivers needs to figure out things quickly otherwise he's out of the league in a couple of years and Perkins is no Rivers.

After reading those quotes by the second coming of Will Humphries, I'm starting to become a little leery of the Perkins dude. Kris had a five star rating, too.

After reading those quotes by the second coming of Will Humphries, I'm starting to become a little leery of the Perkins dude. Kris had a five star rating, too.

Nothing worse than a volume shooter's Dad making sure his son gets his shots. It's not exactly like Will but I certainly am afraid of the comparison given the quotes.

The coach told me Randy will make sure his son signs where ever it will make Randy look the best.

That seems to imply that he'll sign with the biggest brand name, and/or the school where he's most likely to start from Day 1. We could probably offer a good chance on the latter. As for the former, I guess that's what we're all hoping for one of these days.

Father's commentary aside, it would be an epic start to the Pitino regime to reel in a 5* guard a couple months after being hired.

Dpodoll isn't interested in inferring an obvious point. He posts facts to correct poster's points.

Not sure that it really corrects my point... But I guess, whatever floats the boat, you know. :)
On another note, isn't Perkins the great passing PG who is supposed to be great at getting others a massive amount of looks. That's his game, and I'm not really sure what his bozo father is thinking.

I was looking for a link in this post. I'm thrown off every time you comment.

Yea, that was a strange comment. If these guys go to the schools they are all looking at, they will be there with guys who most think they will be in the NBA and who most think they need "touches" and want the ball.

Go Gophers!!

I am really suprised at how the news of the Gophers being in his final 5 is dominated by talk of his father.. who cares about the old man. This comes with the territory for top players.. we just don't have these kind of players consider us.. so we don't see it often. Regardless.. instead of a bunch of us speculating on what Perkins is like because of his dad.. I will go by the scouts.. here is a recent quote from the ESPN evaluation of Perkins..

"Perkins is a true point guard that does a good job of making teammates better and has the ability to score with range to the arc. Perkins has a excellent feel and plays with great energy and urgency. Perkins makes a positive impact on the game at both ends of the floor. Perkins is mentally and physically tough and competes on both ends. Perkins is aggressive and positively productive".

So lets take a deep breath and analyze this from another perspective. Perkins, a top 25 player, probably top 5 point guard, has announced his final five choices will be UCLA, Gonzaga, UCONN, Kentucky and the GOPHERS? Which one of these doesn't belong? Holy smokes.. In Pitino we trust. If coach P can get a few more top 25/50 players to include us in their final 5, we will actually land a couple. Thats amazing.. amazing.

I am really suprised at how the news of the Gophers being in his final 5 is dominated by talk of his father.. who cares about the old man. This comes with the territory for top players.. we just don't have these kind of players consider us.. so we don't see it often. Regardless.. instead of a bunch of us speculating on what Perkins is like because of his dad.. I will go by the scouts.. here is a recent quote from the ESPN evaluation of Perkins..

"Perkins is a true point guard that does a good job of making teammates better and has the ability to score with range to the arc. Perkins has a excellent feel and plays with great energy and urgency. Perkins makes a positive impact on the game at both ends of the floor. Perkins is mentally and physically tough and competes on both ends. Perkins is aggressive and positively productive".

So lets take a deep breath and analyze this from another perspective. Perkins, a top 25 player, probably top 5 point guard, has announced his final five choices will be UCLA, Gonzaga, UCONN, Kentucky and the GOPHERS? Which one of these doesn't belong? Holy smokes.. In Pitino we trust. If coach P can get a few more top 25/50 players to include us in their final 5, we will actually land a couple. Thats amazing.. amazing.

Thank you!

Well said

I don't disagree at all. In fact, my thoughts exactly. I guess I just have flashbacks of Will Humphries in the locker room with the players and coaches. That's an extreme case to be sure.

The old man may prove to be no problem at all or he may prove to be a pain in the but. Speculation about a potential problem is only natural. Any potential problem would also hinge on how the head coach handles it.

If Josh signs here there will be a whole lot of miles between him and his dad, assuming he doesn't follow him here. I really don't think there will be a problem. Not to mention he's going to prep school in WV this year, so he'll be able to adjust to playing without as much of dad's guidance in the upcoming year.

Jerry Meyer tweeted earlier that he thinks perkins will go to Gonzaga, then this happened:

"@kylemac: @jerrymeyer247 anything that caused the you to make the switch to Gonzaga for Josh Perkins?" yes. Received info I deemed reliable

So apparently Meyer has insider info as of right now that Perkins will go to Zaga. Obviously, not 100% but Jerry's right to wrong ratio is pretty good!

After reading that most recent article you could read between the lines that Gonzaga was the favorite. That's why I ranked the teams the way I did. At this point in time it seems like it will be Gonzaga unless Kentucky offers.

This might be why the package fell apart. This might not be bad news.

That is a very, very, very good point! Perkins doesn't really want to go to Minnesota... Vaughn Does (or Vaughn doesn't want to go to Zaga). Obviously, I have no actual basis for this, but your point does make sense.

Like I said, this could be good news for the super package of Newton/Whitehead/Vaughn.

As crazy as it does sound, the super package could work. There's a small chance, but if Whitehead and Newton follow through and package up, and it happens to be here, Vaughn could decide to stay home and start at the 3 on what would be a very nice looking team.
*Small chance, but not impossible.

As crazy as it does sound, the super package could work. There's a small chance, but if Whitehead and Newton follow through and package up, and it happens to be here, Vaughn could decide to stay home and start at the 3 on what would be a very nice looking team.
*Small chance, but not impossible.

They'd have arguably the two top SGs in the entire class... It would be an incredible looking team!

Would love to see a small ball line up of Newton/Dre/Whitehead/Vaughn/EE (or Mo).

Would love to see a small ball line up of Newton/Dre/Whitehead/Vaughn/EE (or Mo).

I would like it too if we were in a different conference, but the Big Ten is WAYYY too physical to use that lineup. Undersized SG, whitehead isn't a SF, and there is no chance Rashad ever plays the 4 in college according to Ryan James, especially considering he is only 6-5. It won't happen.

This is pure comedic gold. I guess we'll have to wait and see how Rich handles this overflow of talent! Vaughn off the bench?

If we land the super package and Travis, I could see us going with Newton, Dre, Vaughn, Travis and EE, with Whitehead and Big Mo coming off the bench. Also, Buggs, King, Wally and Mathieu competing for minutes. Sick starting five with a lot of depth. I feel like in an up tempo system you need a lot of able bodies and it would be incredible to build a roster like this by year two.

Top Bottom