UPDATED 8/24: Josh Perkins Commits to Gonzaga

Jerry Meyer tweeted earlier that he thinks perkins will go to Gonzaga, then this happened:

"@kylemac: @jerrymeyer247 anything that caused the you to make the switch to Gonzaga for Josh Perkins?" yes. Received info I deemed reliable

So apparently Meyer has insider info as of right now that Perkins will go to Zaga. Obviously, not 100% but Jerry's right to wrong ratio is pretty good!

I honestly would not be surprised if Perkins ended up at Gonzaga. Regis Jesuit (his former school in Colorado) and Gonzaga are both Catholic schools and according to one of my friends from school (he played with Perkins at Regis), Gonzaga seems to be a pretty popular college destination for kids from that area. Obviously, this has nothing to do with the basketball aspect of things but it might play a small factor in his decision.

If we land the super package and Travis, I could see us going with Newton, Dre, Vaughn, Travis and EE, with Whitehead and Big Mo coming off the bench. Also, Buggs, King, Wally and Mathieu competing for minutes. Sick starting five with a lot of depth. I feel like in an up tempo system you need a lot of able bodies and it would be incredible to build a roster like this by year two.

There's maybe 3 or 4 schools in the entire country where Whitehead wouldn't start as a freshman and Minnesota is not one of them.

Hes a top 40 player not top 5.

He's more like a top 25 player. He is 17 on rivals and ESPN has him at 35 but when they are updated he is certain to rise. He's been dominating in July. He is a top 25 player. No doubt. Top 5 at his position I would say.

no way we get both vaughn and isaiah, he is also the consensus #2 SG behind Rashad, and i've posted this before on another thread but just imagine in 2017 a lineup of
PG:Newton(senior, ranked as high as 37)
SG:Whitehead(senior, ranked as high as 17)
SF:Amir Coffey(sophmore, ranked as high as 25)
PF:Reid Travis(senior, ranked as high as 40)
C: Henry Ellenson(junior ranked as high as 29)

with alex illikainen(junior ranked as high as 76), Jarvis(junior, ranked as high as 55) and Macura(senior, ranked as high as 89) coming off the bench, that would have national title talent, unfortunately if Pitino could assemble this lineup he would leave for a better job(according to UL fans and other fan bases)

no way we get both vaughn and isaiah, he is also the consensus #2 SG behind Rashad, and i've posted this before on another thread but just imagine in 2017 a lineup of

with alex illikainen(junior ranked as high as 76), Jarvis(junior, ranked as high as 55) and Macura(senior, ranked as high as 89) coming off the bench, that would have national title talent, unfortunately if Pitino could assemble this lineup he would leave for a better job(according to UL fans and other fan bases)

Pitino would be EXTREMELY lucky if he lands half of those guys. If he grabs 3 of those guys, Ill consider it a big success.

*And to the person on the previous page in the thread breaking down a Whitehead, Newton, Rashad, and Reid package: you're going to be in for a huge letdown. No chance all of them commit.

If he got all those players he wouldn't need to leave for a better job because he'd already have a better job here.

Pitino would be EXTREMELY lucky if he lands half of those guys. If he grabs 3 of those guys, Ill consider it a big success.

*And to the person on the previous page in the thread breaking down a Whitehead, Newton, Rashad, and Reid package: you're going to be in for a huge letdown. No chance all of them commit.

Thank you. I'm all for some healthy optimism but this board gets pretty ridiculous pretty frequently.

There's maybe 3 or 4 schools in the entire country where Whitehead wouldn't start as a freshman and Minnesota is not one of them.

He wouldn't start over Vaughn and Dre in that scenario, unless Dre stays at the one than in that case Newton would come off the bench

Not expecting all four just said it was a best case scenario and that it could work. No where in that post did I say I expect that to happen in fact I said imagine if. Ever heard of reading comprehension?

You're saying it would be a "success," for example, if we get Macura, Jarvis Johnson, and Illikainen but miss on Newton (or equivalent), Whitehead, Vaughn, Coffey, Reid Travis, and Henry Ellenson?

By Minnesota standards, yes. That would be a success. Nothing to make Final Four plans about, but a success? Yes.

We're the favorite on a lot of these guys

Link?

we're in the top 3-5 with all of them

Link?

with the way this staff is recruiting I feel very good about our chances of getting at least one 5* guard in the 2014 or 2015 class

What about the guys Pitino has actually signed so far makes you so optimistic about signing a 5 star guard in the next two years? You know, since Minnesota signs 5 star guards all of the time.

I'm not going to do all the work for you, Negative Nancy, but all the info has been in recruiting reports for the last month. Not my opinion, it's the opinions of ppl who are plugged in like Jerry Meyer, Dave Telep and Ryan James. Meyer and several other analysts at 247 predict 5* Whitehead and 4* Newton to MN. We're in 5* Perkins' final five and apparently Newton's top five. 5* Vaughn has said we'll be in it to the end, and ppl who know agree. We're also one of the first schools being mentioned by several other 4* guards (Nairn, Robinson, Joseph, Sandy Cohen to name a few). Johnson and Illikainen are very unlikely to leave the state, according to plugged in sources. We'll be in it right to the end with Reid Travis and he's said we get one of his 5 official visits. We're also high up on two other 4* forwards lists, Paul White and Josh Cunningham. Several analysts predict Macura to MN, and read his interviews with the Butler reporters and tell me MN's not the favorite once they offered? Coffey's local, has spoken very highly of us and his father's a Gopher. Ellenson's the only one I'm making any assumption about, but I think it's a pretty good assumption we'll be right there in the final mix, all factors considered.

And those are just some of the ones we know about...probably haven't even heard of most of the 2015s yet and the staff is just getting started.

It's a numbers game and we're right there with many, many top end recruits after only a couple months on the job for the new staff. Some of them are going to stick.

I'm not going to do all the work for you, Negative Nancy, but all the info has been in recruiting reports for the last month. Not my opinion, it's the opinions of ppl who are plugged in like Jerry Meyer, Dave Telep and Ryan James. Meyer and several other analysts at 247 predict 5* Whitehead and 4* Newton to MN. We're in 5* Perkins' final five and apparently Newton's top five. 5* Vaughn has said we'll be in it to the end, and ppl who know agree. We're also one of the first schools being mentioned by several other 4* guards (Nairn, Robinson, Joseph, Sandy Cohen to name a few). Johnson and Illikainen are very unlikely to leave the state, according to plugged in sources. We'll be in it right to the end with Reid Travis and he's said we get one of his 5 official visits. We're also high up on two other 4* forwards lists, Paul White and Josh Cunningham. Several analysts predict Macura to MN, and read his interviews with the Butler reporters and tell me MN's not the favorite once they offered? Coffey's local, has spoken very highly of us and his father's a Gopher. Ellenson's the only one I'm making any assumption about, but I think it's a pretty good assumption we'll be right there in the final mix, all factors considered.

And those are just some of the ones we know about...probably haven't even heard of most of the 2015s yet and the staff is just getting started.

It's a numbers game and we're right there with many, many top end recruits after only a couple months on the job for the new staff. Some of them are going to stick.

Well stated. Don't bother to try to argue, if it is any indication that we are better off with Pitino than Tubby, its ludicrous. It is very exciting to be mentioned as a favorite with so many top players. Let's hope we can sign a few!

Man, everyone's gotta learn this lesson. If Dpo or Parski are bothering you, just ignore them. Both have propensities just to bother people, rather than adding anything substantial to the conversation...Parski is turning it around though!

Man, everyone's gotta learn this lesson. If Dpo or Parski are bothering you, just ignore them. Both have propensities just to bother people, rather than adding anything substantial to the conversation...Parski is turning it around though!

How did I get brought into this?

How did I get brought into this?

I think you should take that as a compliment Parski. Have you had one before?:)

Zags update:

Huntington (W.V.) Prep point guard Josh Perkins has shifted his college announcement date to Aug. 24 from Aug. 25 and will announce near his home in Colorado, his father told NextCats.com.

The favorites are still the same,” Randy Perkins told SNY.tv on Monday.

“Its still Gonzaga, UCLA, Minnesota for Josh, and UConn is a favorite as well.
We’re just trying to coordinate the visit and all, and it’s just getting really close to crunch time, because Josh is still sticking to his date. If he didn’t have a date, it wouldn’t be such a rush to get this visit in.”

Josh Perkins just recently arrived at Huntington Prep and has yet to visit UConn.

UConn, meantime, has already set up a visit with former Louisville commit Quentin Snider for Sept. 20.

Randy Perkins said UCLA was interested in getting Josh back on campus for another visit.

“UCLA wants us out there again, but it’s really not necessary to go out there again,” Randy Perkins told NextCats. “We knew (Steve Alford) and the coaching staff from New Mexico. There’s nothing more we can really learn, but they want to try and close it.”

Gonzaga and Minnesota, meantime, have worked extremely hard on landing Perkins to run the point.

“Obviously, [Richard] Pitino is putting the fullcourt press on,” Randy told SNY.tv previously.

He added: “Gonzaga has been there from day one. There’s something to be said for being there from day one. When Josh is interviewed the first thing out of his mouth is he wants a coach to be there both on and off the court for him. For that, Gonzaga rates really high.”

Kentucky has yet to offer Perkins and obviously won’t be the choice without one.

“They’re only in the mix if an offer comes,” Randy Perkins told NextCats. “That’s not to put pressure on anybody. But you can’t entertain a school if there’s no offer there. They could call a million times, but if they don’t make an offer… you know.”

Meantime, Perkins will team up at Huntington Prep on a loaded squad that includes Providence commit Jalen Lindsey, Louisville commit JaQuan Lyle and uncommitted forward Angel Delgado.

“That coach [Rob Fulford] is incredible, he really is,” Randy Perkins told SNY.tv. “He has made Josh feel real welcome, and I am completely comfortable with him being under Coach Fulford’s supervision.”

He added: “He wants to get better at the point guard position, and playing with guys who have the same dream, same drive, same mission. It is going to help the team, and make them all better.”

No mention of Kentucky, so it sounds like Perkins and his father have given up hope for their #1 preferred school.

Perfect - in Perkins' top 4 or 5 and if we miss him on 8/24, we've got Tum Tum coming in for a visit the following weekend (knock on wood) and we're in his top 3.

Per a Doogie retweet, Perkins is down to Gonzaga, UCLA, and Minnesota and will decide this weekend.

Per a Doogie retweet, Perkins is down to Gonzaga, UCLA, and Minnesota and will decide this weekend.

What a wildcard it would be if he actually chose us. I fully expect it to be Gonzaga and I'm just fine with that being a Gonzaga fan. I think we end up with Tum Tum unless Tyus decides to stay home last second.

I gotta think we are the underdog here, but stranger things have happened. Grab this guy and I bet Vaughn is a Gopher.

From everything I have read, Gonzaga is the favorite, but being in his final 3 can only lead to good things.

hoping Perkins is our 1st commit and all other highly recruited kids follow shortly.
just bummed hes not part of the super 4 comming from Minnesota

It sounded like the UCLA fans were blogging that they had stopped actively recruiting Perkins because he was a lock for Gonzaga.

Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) tweeted at 5:25 PM on Wed, Aug 21, 2013:All signs pointing to 2014 PG Josh Perkins picking Gonzaga on Saturday, multiple sources tell @SNYtv

Bummer.

Top Bottom