UPDATED 8/24: Josh Perkins Commits to Gonzaga

He hasn't bothered to visit us since Pitino took over. That's all you need to know, imo.

Josh Perkins is liking the Minnesota fans showing him love on Twitter. Give him a shout out.

Josh Perkins is liking the Minnesota fans showing him love on Twitter. Give him a shout out.

Seen that to. Alot of fans tweeting at him even tho we don't have much of a chance still always makes him think twice!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I tweeted. Damn I love this kids game. Had a feeling about him and think he may just surprise us and come. Probably just wishful thinking though.

COME TO MINNESOTA JOSH PERKINS! PLEASE.......

He hasn't bothered to visit us since Pitino took over. That's all you need to know, imo.

I know, and I know that 99.9% means we're not getting him. But the optimist in me (tiny part) keeps thinking about the Jaquan Newton commitment to Miami without visiting.

Rashad Vaughn also still is in touch with Perkins, encouraged fans to follow him bc the decision is coming up.

Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) tweeted at 5:25 PM on Wed, Aug 21, 2013:All signs pointing to 2014 PG Josh Perkins picking Gonzaga on Saturday, multiple sources tell @SNYtv

Bummer.

Key word is "signs". Which in other words is a strong gut feeling on their part. We've seen how outrageous recruiting can be. We still wouldn't be in the mix if we didn't have a chance. It's still an outside shot the gophers land him though.

Perkins has a chance to be the first key recruit for Pitino at Minnesota, which would really start the ball rolling for this team. Others would follow. He would be a difference maker for Pitino's career and Pitino would be truly forever grateful. Few is a great guy but Perkins wouldn't be his first, which would make him fall into just another player category. Go to Gonzaga or UCLA and be a big man on Campus. Come to Minnesota and be big man in the entire state. Big Difference.

I'd like to think that a Big Ten school could beat out Gonzaga for recruits. They will never do anything of any worth in the tournament because their schedule doesn't prepare them for it. I guess Few has figured out how to make recruits overlook that. He probably tells them that he'll win 30 games. What he fails to mention is that they are against the scrubs of college basketball.

I'd like to think that a Big Ten school could beat out Gonzaga for recruits. They will never do anything of any worth in the tournament because their schedule doesn't prepare them for it. I guess Few has figured out how to make recruits overlook that. He probably tells them that he'll win 30 games. What he fails to mention is that they are against the scrubs of college basketball.

What an ignorant post. SMH

Edit: And if you knew anything about recruiting you'd know Gonzaga recruits better than almost anyone. They pull in elite recruits from all over the world. Rip on them for being in the WCC all you want, but they are the best program on the west coast and at least two levels above the Gophers right now.

Edit: And if you knew anything about recruiting you'd know Gonzaga recruits better than almost anyone. They pull in elite recruits from all over the world. Rip on them for being in the WCC all you want, but they are the best program on the west coast and at least two levels above the Gophers right now.

I totally agree. This is one of the last teams that I want to see the Gophers competing against for recruits. Few has done a remarkable job at Gonzaga. Although they don't have many high caliber teams to compete against in the WCC, they schedule a number of higher profile games in non-conference (Illinois/Kansas State/Oklahoma State/Butler, to name a few off last year's schedule).

I'd like our chances for Perkins much better if UCLA was the primary competition.

@DarrenWolfson @bradyfaber1233 Hasn't visited MN in almost a year (previous staff) With no visit here it's gonna be UCLA or Zags.

@DarrenWolfson @bradyfaber1233 Hasn't visited MN in almost a year (previous staff) With no visit here it's gonna be UCLA or Zags.

I find it bizarre that we made his top 3 with this being true. Why not drop us at some point along the way. Really weird.

They are a midmajor in the middle of nowhere, who plays their games late at night when most of the country is sleeping. Sure they're no scrub and Few has done a good job, but they're a less successful version of Butler (whom, FWIW, I always confuse with Gonzaga). I think the OP's point is not that we have a better team than Gonzaga right now, but that if MN is to get to where we all want it to be, Gonzaga's the kind of school we should not be losing recruits to.

That said, in this particular circumstance it seems like we are a finalist for Perkins in name only. Ie he's keeping 3 schools on just to build the hype/suspense for his announcement.

They are a midmajor in the middle of nowhere, who plays their games late at night when most of the country is sleeping. Sure they're no scrub and Few has done a good job, but they're a less successful version of Butler (whom, FWIW, I always confuse with Gonzaga). I think the OP's point is not that we have a better team than Gonzaga right now, but that if MN is to get to where we all want it to be, Gonzaga's the kind of school we should not be losing recruits to.

That said, in this particular circumstance it seems like we are a finalist for Perkins in name only. Ie he's keeping 3 schools on just to build the hype/suspense for his announcement.

I just can't stand ignorant basketball fans like yourself (you even said you get Butler and Gonzaga mixed up -- I mean, really?) and the OP assuming they are a slightly better version of your typical mid major, which is ridiculous. It's also crazy to call them a less successful version of Butler. Butler has had a nice 4 or 5 year run, but they no longer have Brad Stevens. Let's see how they do without him. Gonzaga survived after Dan Monson's success and have actually become even more of a powerhouse under Few. Try watching their games sometime, most of their non-conference games are on ESPN, as are their conference match ups with St Marys and BYU. You might be surprised at what you see. Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. will be among the very best back courts in the country this year. Yes, even better than our All-Hollins back court.

I just can't stand ignorant basketball fans like yourself (you even said you get Butler and Gonzaga mixed up -- I mean, really?) and the OP assuming they are a slightly better version of your typical mid major, which is ridiculous. It's also crazy to call them a less successful version of Butler. Butler has had a nice 4 or 5 year run, but they no longer have Brad Stevens. Let's see how they do without him. Gonzaga survived after Dan Monson's success and have actually become even more of a powerhouse under Few. Try watching their games sometime, most of their non-conference games are on ESPN, as are their conference match ups with St Marys and BYU. You might be surprised at what you see. Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. will be among the very best back courts in the country this year. Yes, even better than our All-Hollins back court.

I agree that Gonzaga is a few tiers above the Gophers. However, it's not from "elite" recruits. Few hardly out-recruited Tubby. He's just a good coach, runs a good system, and overall plays a weak schedule.

Zags Blog: Josh Perkins Cuts to Five; Vaughn Package Unlikely

I didn't mean to insinuate that at this time we are a better program than Gonzaga. I should have said that we should be getting recruits who have a final 3 of UCLA, Minnesota, Gonzaga if we want to take it to the next level. It's the recruits that have Indiana, Syracuse, and Minnesota in their final 3 that we should not expect to land right now.

My post was more of a compliment to Mark Few on being able to recruit 5* kids to play in the West Coast Conference.

Let's be honest, they have won their conference tournament 11 of the last 15 years. They have lost 13 conference games in the last DECADE. In that same decade in which they averaged 1.3 conference losses per season. Their tournament record is 10-10. They have been "upset" 4 times, and have pulled off ONE "upset" in the last decade in the tournament.

So how am I being ignorant by essentially calling them a vastly overrated program? That is exactly what they are. Mark Few has just done an excellent job of masking that.

The Gophers cannot touch Gonzaga in terms of prestige right now, but that does not mean they couldn't beat Gonzaga 5 or 6 times out of 10 on any given year. They got a 1 seed last year and I think most Gopher fans would have really liked our chances in a tournament matchup. Didn't the all powerful Illini beat them last year? St. Mary's has given them quite the hard time in the conference finals over the last 5 years.

P.S. Gonzaga is not the best west coast program. UCLA is still far and away the better program over the last 10 years. Hell, even Washington has been to the sweet 16 3 times in the last 9 years. And I wouldn't be surprised if Oregon started making some noise in the Pac-12 for years to come.

I tire a little of how much respect Gonzaga receives. Last year they got a number one seed with a pretty easy schedule. in 2012-13 they played only three games against ranked teams:

#13 Illinois - Gonzaga Lost 85-74
#22 Oklahoma State - Gonzaga Won 69-68
#13 Butler - Gonzaga Lost 64-63

Not what I would call super impressive. Last year the Gophers played 10 games against ranked teams going 5 and 5. This included three teams ranked #5 when we played them and one team ranked #1.

Gonzaga wins big in their small conference....but they would be an average team in the big ten. I have never been a big fan of Ganzaga and have always thought they were over rated.

I didn't mean to insinuate that at this time we are a better program than Gonzaga. I should have said that we should be getting recruits who have a final 3 of UCLA, Minnesota, Gonzaga if we want to take it to the next level. It's the recruits that have Indiana, Syracuse, and Minnesota in their final 3 that we should not expect to land right now.

My post was more of a compliment to Mark Few on being able to recruit 5* kids to play in the West Coast Conference.

Let's be honest, they have won their conference tournament 11 of the last 15 years. They have lost 13 conference games in the last DECADE. In that same decade in which they averaged 1.3 conference losses per season. Their tournament record is 10-10. They have been "upset" 4 times, and have pulled off ONE "upset" in the last decade in the tournament.

So how am I being ignorant by essentially calling them a vastly overrated program? That is exactly what they are. Mark Few has just done an excellent job of masking that.

The Gophers cannot touch Gonzaga in terms of prestige right now, but that does not mean they couldn't beat Gonzaga 5 or 6 times out of 10 on any given year. They got a 1 seed last year and I think most Gopher fans would have really liked our chances in a tournament matchup. Didn't the all powerful Illini beat them last year? St. Mary's has given them quite the hard time in the conference finals over the last 5 years.

P.S. Gonzaga is not the best west coast program. UCLA is still far and away the better program over the last 10 years. Hell, even Washington has been to the sweet 16 3 times in the last 9 years. And I wouldn't be surprised if Oregon started making some noise in the Pac-12 for years to come.

Yeah, well, we're a Big Ten school and I'm not going to worship some backwater midmajor school that nobody heard of until 10 or 15 years ago.

And yeah, they're both Bulldogs, they're both blue and white, they're both midmajors without football, in conferences nobody's heard of, and they're both recent NCAA darlings without much history before that.

We're not talking about Indiana or Syracuse or Duke here.

Is it anyway possible to blame the Gophers for the rise of Gonzaga? Had we not had players suspended for our tournament game against Gonzaga, we would have beaten Gonzaga. Haskins would still have been fired, but we may not have hired Monson. If Monson gets stuck at Gonzaga for more years, then Mark Few isn't the head coach. Monson probably would never have done what Few has been able to do with the team.

I don't know if we can blame our favorite team or not. But you could make the argument that the sins of our past could cost us Perkins.

Yeah, well, we're a Big Ten school and I'm not going to worship some backwater midmajor school that nobody heard of until 10 or 15 years ago.

And yeah, they're both Bulldogs, they're both blue and white, they're both midmajors without football, in conferences nobody's heard of, and they're both recent NCAA darlings without much history before that.

Exactly.

For what it's worth, the folks on the Gonzaga boards do not seem as confident as the people essentially reporting that it's a done deal.

But he never visited us so if it isn't Gonzaga then it is probably UCLA.

But we also aren't talking about Coastal Carolina, Ferris State, or Middle Tennessee State here.

Justified or not, the perception of Gonzaga by many is that it is an elite program. We can all argue about whether or not that is warranted. But when Josh Perkins sits down to decide what college he should attend, the recent history of Gonzaga is more impressive than the recent history of Minnesota. Yeah...we aren't competing against Duke for this guy, but Gonzaga isn't competing against Michigan State. Let's be honest here.

Hopefully in a few years perceptions will change.

But we also aren't talking about Coastal Carolina, Ferris State, or Middle Tennessee State here.

Justified or not, the perception of Gonzaga by many is that it is an elite program. We can all argue about whether or not that is warranted. But when Josh Perkins sits down to decide what college he should attend, the recent history of Gonzaga is more impressive than the recent history of Minnesota. Yeah...we aren't competing against Duke for this guy, but Gonzaga isn't competing against Michigan State. Let's be honest here.

Hopefully in a few years perceptions will change.

Spot on! That being said, still holding out hope he starts the dominoes falling of recruits choosing Pitino the Younger.

when your best postseason had dan monson as its coach, you aren't an elite program, no matter how much one wants to be. few is like bo ryan. great, great coach in the regular season and a bust in the post-season, if regular season rankings, hype and post-season seeds are concerned.

dan monson has an elite 8 appearance. mark few doesn't.

Is it anyway possible to blame the Gophers for the rise of Gonzaga? Had we not had players suspended for our tournament game against Gonzaga, we would have beaten Gonzaga. Haskins would still have been fired, but we may not have hired Monson. If Monson gets stuck at Gonzaga for more years, then Mark Few isn't the head coach. Monson probably would never have done what Few has been able to do with the team.

I don't know if we can blame our favorite team or not. But you could make the argument that the sins of our past could cost us Perkins.

Russ Archambault again!! He's the frickin' focal point in history, just like Edith Keeler in "The City on the Edge of Forever" Star Trek episode.

I don't think many actually consider Gonzaga to be an elite program. And they certainly haven't earned it.

Top Bottom