University of Texas head men's basketball coach Chris Beard was arrested and charged with assault on a family member.

POS men were beating their wives
Agree that this looks very bad. No argument from me.

But riddle me this: they've been together for six years, and Beard had a lot of success in Lubbock before this.

If he was a big partier and let's say cheated on her .......

why is this just the first time this has ever happened, now?

I guess I'm just saying, if she was pissed about the drinking/partying and/or cheating and snapped .... this can't be the first time it has ever happened. Unless they're just really good about burying this stuff in Lubbock, but not so much in Austin. I guess I could buy that.

I am saying that the people who had the most to lose, a very effective coach, and who were closer to the facts of the case than anyone on this site, decided to suspend him.
The key question is...how long will the suspension be.

My guess is that it will depend on the hospital report. And my other guess is that Texas will lift his suspension after the hospital report isn't enough to prove an assault.

Just my guess. For fun. Of course we don't know if he's guilty or not yet. At Minnesota, he'd be done no matter what though.

Agree that this looks very bad. No argument from me.

But riddle me this: they've been together for six years, and Beard had a lot of success in Lubbock before this.

If he was a big partier and let's say cheated on her .......

why is this just the first time this has ever happened, now?
I have no idea about Chris Beard's personal life. Honestly, I don't know anything about domestic violence - is it "once a hitter" thing? Are some people just a horrible/explosive mix? Combo of both?
I have no idea. Everything I know is going off the affidavit which is really just her side of the story. I don't know the background, history, or anything else to do with this situation.

You replied to a portion of my post where I said some POS men have beat women for years and it has nothing to do with NFL celebrations.

I could hypothesize all kinds of wild scenarios for how those physical marks came to be on her body.

I won't waste my time of course, because this is all coming out and playing out in public in Austin. We will see what happens and comes to light.

Maybe it happened before but smaller Lubbock was just really good at covering it up.

A Friday night news dump 11 days later, this is incredibly believable. :rolleyes:
I didn't research it at all...but this news story is the first I've head about marks on her face.

I predicted that he'd keep his job...unless the hospital report was bad.

In a statement sent to The Associated Press by her attorney, Randy Leavitt, Trew said she is "deeply saddened" by the incident and said Beard was acting in self-defense from her.

"Chris and I are deeply saddened that we have brought negative attention upon our family, friends, and the University of Texas, among others. As Chris' fiancée and biggest supporter, I apologize for the role I played in this unfortunate event. I realize that my frustration, when breaking his glasses, initiated a physical struggle between Chris and myself," Trew said in the statement.

"Chris did not strangle me, and I told that to law enforcement that evening. Chris has stated that he was acting in self-defense, and I do not refute that. I do not believe Chris was trying to intentionally harm me in any way. It was never my intent to have him arrested or prosecuted. We appreciate everyone's support and prayers during this difficult time," she said.

Leavitt confirmed that Trew, whose name was redacted by police from charging documents, agreed to be named publicly. He declined further comment.

In a statement, the university said: "We are reviewing the statement from Randi Trew. This matter is the subject of an internal investigation and the university does not comment on pending investigations."

"Randi is a smart and independent woman," Beard's attorney, Perry Minton said in a statement Saturday morning. "And I think everyone should let her have her voice in this matter."

He's keeping his job and the criminal charges are going to be dropped.

Would guess they've privately agreed to "work things out" -- IE, he has agreed not to leave her in exchange for her burying this and not filing a civil case.

(that is wild speculation by me, I made that up, I have no idea)

Would guess they've privately agreed to "work things out" -- IE, he has agreed not to leave her in exchange for her burying this and not filing a civil case.

I think you’re on to something.

The sad truth is that the overwhelming vast majority of these scenarios play out exactly like this regardless of money. Granted, money does help persuade people (or make people willing to put up with more). But this exact scenario plays out like this in situations where the guy has absolutely no money.

A former colleague of mine went to law school in Minnesota and interned at a place called Tubman Family Alliance. I don't know even know if it still exists. However, what they did was help people who were victims of domestic violence. On the legal side, they provide victim advocates. A victim advocate is a unique position where in domestic violence cases in MN, the victim actually has a lawyer representing them (typically a crime is just prosecution and defense).

Now this sounds like a good idea to some and I know the intentions were good, but what ultimately ended up happening is that these victim's advocates spend their entire time arguing for the men to come home. They argue for charges to be dropped. They argue that their clients made things up. These men also knew the system - they knew the women had a REALLY strong say, so she believed there was also additional pressure on the woman because of the victim's advocate. They would have been better off saying "it's out of my control, the police got involved, etc.".

I only tell this long winded barely relevant story to reinforce the fact that how this played out for Chris Beard is how this usually plays out with money or without money.

The sad truth is that the overwhelming vast majority of these scenarios play out exactly like this regardless of money. Granted, money does help persuade people (or make people willing to put up with more). But this exact scenario plays out like this in situations where the guy has absolutely no money.

A former colleague of mine went to law school in Minnesota and interned at a place called Tubman Family Alliance. I don't know even know if it still exists. However, what they did was help people who were victims of domestic violence. On the legal side, they provide victim advocates. A victim advocate is a unique position where in domestic violence cases in MN, the victim actually has a lawyer representing them (typically a crime is just prosecution and defense).

Now this sounds like a good idea to some and I know the intentions were good, but what ultimately ended up happening is that these victim's advocates spend their entire time arguing for the men to come home. They argue for charges to be dropped. They argue that their clients made things up. These men also knew the system - they knew the women had a REALLY strong say, so she believed there was also additional pressure on the woman because of the victim's advocate. They would have been better off saying "it's out of my control, the police got involved, etc.".

I only tell this long winded barely relevant story to reinforce the fact that how this played out for Chris Beard is how this usually plays out with money or without money.
Thank you for sharing.

In those typical cases, I would believe that the man beat the woman but that she decided ultimately for herself and/or their kids that it would be better to have him back home and try to go to counseling, anger management, etc.

There always has to be a first time, I suppose. Which could be like these cases you're describing. Otherwise, if there were previous beatings, I can't possibly see any judge/prosecutors dropping it.

So here again is where I say: was this really Beard’s first time? Unless it did happen before in Lubbock and that smaller place is just really good at covering it up .... it just strikes me odd that this, finally now is the first time he beat her.

I don't know. I'm just making stuff up, like I said. But guessing we won't get any further details on this and it will just quietly go away.

Last edited:

Thank you for sharing.

In those typical cases, I would believe that the man beat the woman but that she decided ultimately for herself and/or their kids that it would be better to have him back home and try to go to counseling, anger management, etc.

There always has to be a first time, I suppose. Which could be like these cases you're describing. Otherwise, if there were previous beatings, I can't possibly see any judge/prosecutors dropping it.

So here again is where I say: was this really Chris's first time? Unless it did happen before in Lubbock and that smaller place is just really good at covering it up .... it just strikes me odd that this, finally now is the first time he beat her.

I don't know. I'm just making stuff up, like I said. But guessing we won't get any further details on this and it will just quietly go away.
I think it's that but I think it's also just the cycle of abuse. Security, self esteem issues, etc. all wrapped up into a toxic situation. A psychologist would have a much better understanding than I would.

As far as Beard, I doubt it's his first time but it's hard to say. I think many people can go a very long time without getting caught.

Deep in the heart of Texas
Minnesota would have fired him for sure. Heck, any Gophers basketball coach who recruits well or has a contending team is in danger of being fired or hit with suspensions...regardless of their behavior.

As to what everyone in this thread is speculating about...to me it all comes down to the hospital report. If a guy beats a woman, he should get in trouble for it. If it's all a bunch of crap, then they shouldn't waste our time with it.

LIke I said when it happened, this was ineveitable.

Regardless if she escalated things. Regardless if "its Texas".

Was never a chance he was keeping his job. And id be stunned if he gets another any time soon if ever.

Was never a chance he was keeping his job. And id be stunned if he gets another any time soon if ever.
I don't believe 1 bit of this. You can agree/disagree with the idea, but NCAA is big time $$, and when big time $$ is involved, things get overlooked. It might be a year or 2 sure, but he will find his way back to a team like Little Rock that is off the radar (see Pitino at Iona), he will have 2-3 years there where he will go like 70-35 and then some team who is desperate at the P5 level will go, forget it, we will take the blow back for the start if it means we will win and make money long term.

I would never advocate for what he did, if true it is truly a disgusting thing, but i think its naive for most people to say they would never want him. Sure some would always hate it (and justifiably so), but a lot of tunes would change if he went to a MN/Ore St/Cal type school and suddenly got them to be a top 10 perennial team.

I didn't think he'd be fired unless the hospital report showed injuries. That's the only thing I'm interested in - the hospital report.

On the other hand, this isn't Texas Tech or TCU. This is Texas...who has lost their blueblood status and has faded into mediocrity.

On the other hand, this isn't Texas Tech or TCU. This is Texas...who has lost their blueblood status and has faded into mediocrity.
Texas was never a blue-blood in basketball. They've made the same # of Final Fours in my lifetime as the Gophers have.

I didn't think he'd be fired unless the hospital report showed injuries. That's the only thing I'm interested in - the hospital report.

What do you mean by a hospital report?

There is a police report with listed alleged injuries but they aren't going to release any hospital report to the public. That would not be public information.

Unless it's been reported elsewhere, I doubt she even went to the hospital for this.

I don't believe 1 bit of this. You can agree/disagree with the idea, but NCAA is big time $$, and when big time $$ is involved, things get overlooked. It might be a year or 2 sure, but he will find his way back to a team like Little Rock that is off the radar (see Pitino at Iona), he will have 2-3 years there where he will go like 70-35 and then some team who is desperate at the P5 level will go, forget it, we will take the blow back for the start if it means we will win and make money long term.

I would never advocate for what he did, if true it is truly a disgusting thing, but i think it’s naive for most people to say they would never want him. Sure some would always hate it (and justifiably so), but a lot of tunes would change if he went to a MN/Ore St/Cal type school and suddenly got them to be a top 10 perennial team.
Same as Greg Marshall. I’d take Greg Marshall in a heart beat

Probably. But ESPN has a reputation they might want to keep that will be hard if they bring on Beard.
They hired Bruce Pearl, do while this is mkuch more heinous than that sleazeball, it wouldn’t surprise me at some point.

I was only half joking ☹️

Top Bottom