University of Texas head men's basketball coach Chris Beard was arrested and charged with assault on a family member.

I think it's strange that Beard, a 49 year old who was married for 13(?) years with three kids, and had been dating his gf since 2019 ..... suddenly decides in Dec 2022 that now is a good time to start beating women.

That seems strange to me.
1. There is a first time for everything
2. How do you know this is the first time it's happened? You think all domestic abuse incidents are reported?

1. There is a first time for everything
2. How do you know this is the first time it's happened? You think all domestic abuse incidents are reported?
Let's be very clear: I don't know that, at all. And I've commented about that in previous posts, too.

Maybe Lubbock was good at hiding these things, while Austin likes them out in the open?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...stic-violence-case-ex-texas-coach-chris-beard

DA drops domestic violence case against ex-Texas coach Chris Beard

Travis County District Attorney Jose Garza said that after a review of the evidence, and considering the wishes of Randi Trew, Beard's fiancée, his office determined the charge of assault by strangulation/suffocation-family violence could not be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

"Everyone knows that Coach Beard has maintained his absolute innocence since the moment he was arrested,'' said Perry Minton, Beard's attorney. "Additionally, this district attorney has a well-earned reputation for being very tough regarding domestic violence cases. The fact that Mr. Garza's review resulted in this determination so quickly says a lot. We are very pleased.''

Beard had five years left on a seven-year guaranteed contract that included a provision saying he could be fired for cause if he was charged with a felony or committed other behavior unbecoming of his position or that reflected poorly on the university.

The university's vice president of legal affairs, Jim Davis, wrote in a letter to Beard's attorney on the day the coach was fired that Beard engaged in "unacceptable behavior that makes him unfit to serve as head coach at our university." Whether Beard ultimately faced charges would not determine whether Beard engaged in conduct unbecoming of the school, Davis wrote.

He'll be getting every cent that he is rightfully owed. And moreover, I hope he sues them for wrongful termination. They'll push over small children to settle, quickly and quietly.

If BJ flops next season and is canned, and Beard is available and ready, I would definitely support kicking the tires on bringing him up here.

Doubt Gable and Coyle have the stones to do it.
They wouldn't have the desire. Politically correct Trumps all. Winning doesn't matter here.

I think a plethora of programs will be clamoring for his services.

To bad he does not meet the qualifications (Afro-Minnesotan?) of a Gopher head coach.

If BJ flops next season and is canned, and Beard is available and ready, I would definitely support kicking the tires on bringing him up here.

Doubt Gable and Coyle have the stones to do it.
Zero chance. A bottom feeder team doesn’t need that kind of attention in Minnesota. Much more likely he ends up at a lower profile d-1 school and reforms himself from there.

Zero chance. A bottom feeder team doesn’t need that kind of attention in Minnesota. Much more likely he ends up at a lower profile d-1 school and reforms himself from there.
I’ve heard he may end up as a coordinator at Saban Institute for Wayward coaches

From a pure basketball perspective, of course we want him. If all controversy were to be resolved, however, I still think he’s a bad option. He’s too big of a fish, he’d come here, reform his image, and leave for a blue blood after success in year 2. And with our track record, we wouldn’t be able to replace him with a coach of equal caliber.

From a pure basketball perspective, of course we want him. If all controversy were to be resolved, however, I still think he’s a bad option. He’s too big of a fish, he’d come here, reform his image, and leave for a blue blood after success in year 2. And with our track record, we wouldn’t be able to replace him with a coach of equal caliber.
Sold! I'd take losing him if he made us successful in two years and reformed his image. If he came in here and proved that a good/great coach could do it here in two years that would actually HELP sell the job to a high end guy.

When I posted I wanted him after the news broke in Nov I was laughed at by certain posters…now it seems the tide is turning. The guy is a stud coach. Even if he is only here 3 years, it may be the greatest 3 year run in our program. We’d get big time recruits and he’d get us to the top of the B10.

If we are also talking about big names who can reform their image with the U…calling Greg Marshall (winning cures a lot of things)

Sold! I'd take losing him if he made us successful in two years and reformed his image. If he came in here and proved that a good/great coach could do it here in two years that would actually HELP sell the job to a high end guy.
That could be true. Perhaps I’m just resigned to not having nice things.

A Gophers men's basketball coach has not left voluntarily due to success in several decades.

Sounds like a great problem to deal with.

The idea of not hiring a guy because he might be too successful and leave us never makes any sense to me. I remember some of this thinking being used as a reason to not want to hire PJ. Yet here we are 6 years later with our football program as strong as it has been in decades.

A Gophers men's basketball coach has not left voluntarily due to success in several decades.

Sounds like a great problem to deal with.
I think the last one like that was either Bill Musselman or Bill Fitch. Both to NBA/ABA. Musselman kind've a weird case because probation was coming.......

The idea of not hiring a guy because he might be too successful and leave us never makes any sense to me. I remember some of this thinking being used as a reason to not want to hire PJ. Yet here we are 6 years later with our football program as strong as it has been in decades.
Yeah, I’m the one who posted that and it doesn’t make sense when you say it like this ha. I think that line of thinking is rooted in my mistrust of our AD/admin. If we hired beard (hypothetically, since this is like a 0.01% scenario), it would be at a huge discount but signal we are trying to be competitive. I would expect his eventual successor to be another complete roll of the dice on a cheap young unproven coach. But One step at a time I suppose.

As uncomfortable as it might be, someone like Beard is the kind of risk this program needs to take if they feel confident there is no ongoing issue. But they won't.

Yeah, I’m the one who posted that and it doesn’t make sense when you say it like this ha. I think that line of thinking is rooted in my mistrust of our AD/admin. If we hired beard (hypothetically, since this is like a 0.01% scenario), it would be at a huge discount but signal we are trying to be competitive. I would expect his eventual successor to be another complete roll of the dice on a cheap young unproven coach. But One step at a time I suppose.
Or, pay him.

Question, and you're not the only one to use the term "reform" in this thread, but if he, like all of us, is innocent until proven guilty, and the charges were dropped, thus meaning he won't be proven guilty, why does he need to reform himself?

Question, and you're not the only one to use the term "reform" in this thread, but if he, like all of us, is innocent until proven guilty, and the charges were dropped, thus meaning he won't be proven guilty, why does he need to reform himself?
What he was involved in happened. That's a bad situation regardless of the details and he does need some work on that basis. I am a big proponent of forgiveness and redemption though!

Guilty or innocent, he has a cloud over his head that will give virtually every program in the country pause in hiring him. Thus, reform needed. For good or ill, the accusations themselves tarnish the accused in the world we live. Having been closer than I’d like to be to domestic violence on several occasions, I’ve never experienced a situation completely made up. My no connection to this case take is that the incident may not meet the criteria of a provable crime, but there is highly likely personal issues the guy needs to work on.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...stic-violence-case-ex-texas-coach-chris-beard

DA drops domestic violence case against ex-Texas coach Chris Beard

Travis County District Attorney Jose Garza said that after a review of the evidence, and considering the wishes of Randi Trew, Beard's fiancée, his office determined the charge of assault by strangulation/suffocation-family violence could not be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

"Everyone knows that Coach Beard has maintained his absolute innocence since the moment he was arrested,'' said Perry Minton, Beard's attorney. "Additionally, this district attorney has a well-earned reputation for being very tough regarding domestic violence cases. The fact that Mr. Garza's review resulted in this determination so quickly says a lot. We are very pleased.''

Beard had five years left on a seven-year guaranteed contract that included a provision saying he could be fired for cause if he was charged with a felony or committed other behavior unbecoming of his position or that reflected poorly on the university.

The university's vice president of legal affairs, Jim Davis, wrote in a letter to Beard's attorney on the day the coach was fired that Beard engaged in "unacceptable behavior that makes him unfit to serve as head coach at our university." Whether Beard ultimately faced charges would not determine whether Beard engaged in conduct unbecoming of the school, Davis wrote.

He'll be getting every cent that he is rightfully owed. And moreover, I hope he sues them for wrongful termination. They'll push over small children to settle, quickly and quietly.
It is not unheard of for the female victim of domestic violence to suddenly realize she may be killing the goose that lays golden eggs and decide to tell the DA it was not so bad as she originally claimed.
I hope the coach realizes that she saved his ass, stays with her, and does not do it again.

What he was involved in happened. That's a bad situation regardless of the details and he does need some work on that basis. I am a big proponent of forgiveness and redemption though!
Bolded: and for the sake of argument, can you tell me what that was? (I know, but the point I'm getting at is you can't technically say, "he did x to his wife" - you can choose to believe it, but if you state it, isn't that libel since he it never got proved?)

I think you get the point I'm making, but I'll be replying to Holy Man too and I'll say more there. I agree with the non-bolded. Even if you are guilty of something, once it's in the past, you should be able to get your life back.

For good or ill, the accusations themselves tarnish the accused in the world we live. Having been closer than I’d like to be to domestic violence on several occasions, I’ve never experienced a situation completely made up. My no connection to this case take is that the incident may not meet the criteria of a provable crime, but there is highly likely personal issues the guy needs to work on.
I vote "ill". If we start judging people on accusations instead of what's proven in court, we're headed for an awful slippery slope.

Right now, most people won't go making up accusations towards someone - but if we get to a point where accusations alone are enough to "have an effect" it could get out of control and become a huge mess. (Look at the former USSR, just accuse your neighbor of being against the gov't and whammo, they're gone from society. Let's keep a far distance from that.)

I vote "ill". If we start judging people on accusations instead of what's proven in court, we're headed for an awful slippery slope.

Right now, most people won't go making up accusations towards someone - but if we get to a point where accusations alone are enough to "have an effect" it could get out of control and become a huge mess. (Look at the former USSR, just accuse your neighbor of being against the gov't and whammo, they're gone from society. Let's keep a far distance from that.)
You just described democrats throughout the entire Trump presidency.

Top Bottom