University of Texas head men's basketball coach Chris Beard was arrested and charged with assault on a family member.

Dont see how this is something you can justify keeping him.

It was a nice season and 10 game run....

Dont see how this is something you can justify keeping him.

It was a nice season and 10 game run....
I can only imagine the number of surreal conversations taking place around the watercooler in offices across Texas today. "Jimmy this is less than ideal but what happens in his personal life should not impact his job status given his success".

Last edited:

Wow. Agreed that it will take major intellectual and moral gymnastics to keep him. At a minimum he is sidelined until full investigation is completed, which could be months.

Austin kind of the liberal utopia in Texas, but it's also the Longhorns so nothing would shock me here, but I do agree at this point he's more likely to end up in jail (though I'm willing to bet the family member will refuse to press charges) than end up coaching another game in Austin. It's 2022 almost 2023, you aren't going to survive stuff like this without any consequences.

Possibly a nice career now over. He isn’t Norman Dale.

Yeah its gonna be a tough sell regardless.

If it ends up being his immediate family which is his wife and 3 daughters, then hes really screwed. You could attempt some mental gymnastics if it was a 45 year old brother in law or something which already will be tough with the supposed severity of the call.

But if it was the wife or one of the daughers, losing his job should be the least of his worries.

Texas is rolling. Both on the court and on the recruiting trail. 2 more 5-stars (#9 and #12) in the 2023 class.

They're not going to blow all that up because of a domestic incident. Unless there's a hospital report showing serious injuries.

It's Texas...not Minnesota.

Wow. Agreed that it will take major intellectual and moral gymnastics to keep him. At a minimum he is sidelined until full investigation is completed, which could be months.
Weeks
Sports >everything there

Last edited:

Austin kind of the liberal utopia in Texas, but it's also the Longhorns so nothing would shock me here, but I do agree at this point he's more likely to end up in jail (though I'm willing to bet the family member will refuse to press charges) than end up coaching another game in Austin. It's 2022 almost 2023, you aren't going to survive stuff like this without any consequences.
And we have the unaffordable housing and sidewalks littered with the shit of homeless people to prove it.

I don't think Beard survives this. Austin isn't a college town and the vast majority of people here don't really care about UT, especially UT basketball. From what I understand from watercooler talk, there were tons of cop cars at his home (like the street was lined) and the police officer might have witnessed the assault.

From what I understand, he was kind of a known partier before coming to UT. Hopefully the Sarkisian thing doesn't end in disaster too. If it does, I think the next coaches will be Mormon.

Sports(world) really needs a SPORTS reality check. From fan behavior at events (Brawls in the stands) and behavior toward youth coaches and officials, to off the field items (Joseph/Beard). Social media shows every day how crazy it is at sporting events and in the sports world.

Saw video this morning of a HS hockey brawl in MN. Watched the world cup with Argentina and Moraco and all the lack of sportsmanship in that match. Watched Wisconsin players take the time to go wave goodbye to Hawkeye fans rather than just celebrate with teammates. Watch Garcia and Thompson do cheap sh!t all the time and trying to act tough. (This is all in the last 4 days)

The NFL opened the can of worms by loosening celebration rules that will continue to get pushed to the limits and trickle down to other events.

We keep adding alcohol sales.

It's really getting out of control. The game itself is supposed to be the entertainment.

Sports(world) really needs a SPORTS reality check. From fan behavior at events (Brawls in the stands) and behavior toward youth coaches and officials, to off the field items (Joseph/Beard). Social media shows every day how crazy it is at sporting events and in the sports world.

Saw video this morning of a HS hockey brawl in MN. Watched the world cup with Argentina and Moraco and all the lack of sportsmanship in that match. Watched Wisconsin players take the time to go wave goodbye to Hawkeye fans rather than just celebrate with teammates. Watch Garcia and Thompson do cheap sh!t all the time and trying to act tough. (This is all in the last 4 days)

The NFL opened the can of worms by loosening celebration rules that will continue to get pushed to the limits and trickle down to other events.

It's really getting out of control. The game itself is supposed to be the entertainment.

This is a bit dramatic

Possibly a nice career now over. He isn’t Norman Dale.
Texans take their sports very seriously as such if he is sent to jail, which is highly unlikely, he'll be given work release to continue coaching. However if his team starts losing his work release would be rescinded.

While all of this might be true, the Beard situation seems completely unrelated.

POS men were beating their wives when the NFL was the "No Fun League".

Apparently it is well known that he liked to drink a lot.

While all of this might be true, the Beard situation seems completely unrelated.

POS men were beating their wives when the NFL was the "No Fun League".
I agree that it's not all related.

Bro a youth football coach got shot on the field in Texas recently (shooter was related to Champ Bailey and opposing coach) It is a little out of control

Agree that blaming NFL celebration rules is fairly absurd though
It's not blame game of one thing as much as it's a cumulative of all. We learn that sports teach youth things like morals and ethics. Does it after a certain age? When do the morals and ethics become nonexistent around sports?

It's not blame game of one thing as much as it's a cumulative of all. We learn that sports teach youth things like morals and ethics. Does it after a certain age? When do the morals and ethics become nonexistent around sports?
I agree morals and ethics are supposed to be the foundation of sports. Celebrating after a touchdown is nothing more than that. I used to question excessive celebrations too, but then I realized how f'ing hard it is to score a touchdown at the NFL level. For some it could be the only time in their career it happens. Nothing wrong with having fun.

Edit: I think the obscene money that has consumed pro sports is what has trickled down to the youth levels. Parents/athletes obsess over the possibility of hitting that lottery ticket and it leads to a lot of abhorrent behavior.

Top Bottom