Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone want to take bets on the chances Jones stays at MN?

But in fairness, if I were him (probably having NBA aspirations), I'd probably look at a system better-suited for PG's and getting them to the league. Hopefully we get him, but I wouldn't put the odds too high on it.

But in fairness, if I were him (probably having NBA aspirations), I'd probably look at a system better-suited for PG's and getting them to the league. Hopefully we get him, but I wouldn't put the odds too high on it.

Yeah, that Tubby Smith system sure turned out pretty rotton for Rajon Rondo, Keith Bogans and Jodie Meeks. Three Tubby Smith guards who all got drafted and have stuck in the leauge.

Everyone says how awful Tubby's system is for guards and ignore the fact that the Gophers current leading scorer is Julian Welch. A guard, Go figure. Tubby teaches defense, and that will get any guard a solid spot in the NBA.

Gophers have just as good of a shot as anyone. Home town team and the chance to be a legend in MN and be hanging in the rafters of Williams Arena. Plus, playing for one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history.

Yeah, that Tubby Smith system sure turned out pretty rotton for Rajon Rondo, Keith Bogans and Jodie Meeks. Three Tubby Smith guards who all got drafted and have stuck in the leauge.
Out of your 3, only Rondo was a PG; Meeks & Bogans are SGs. Also, Rondo only played for a year or two under Tubby, and Meeks only one year. Bogans is the only guard I remember that actually had a 3+ year collegiate career with Tubby.

It's just my opinion, but I don't think he seems to develop the PG guard talent that he gets as well as some of the other coaches across the country; or perhaps it's just his offense that doesn't seem to spotlight them?

ShowinGoldyLove said:

WOW! You must be a Badger fan in disguise - No he's not going to Wisconsin!

WOW! You must be a Badger fan in disguise - No he's not going to Wisconsin!
WOW! You really haven't read my posts over the past 6-7 years...I'm about as big of a Gopher fan as you'll find. However, I'm not an unrealistic, completely blind homer.

Gophers have just as good of a shot as anyone. Home town team and the chance to be a legend in MN and be hanging in the rafters of Williams Arena. Plus, playing for one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history.

Hanging in the rafters means he stayed long enough to graduate- gotta like that thought

This looks like Seantrel Henderson all over again. Originally the Gophers were not on his list but all of a sudden they are because they're the local team and it will keep people off his back for the next 2 years. Smart move on his part to calm the masses.

MN is on his list? List of how many other schools?

We have up to 2.5 more years of speculation to look forward to unless he declares before that.

If we can make the top five. Great. Until then..............

This looks like Seantrel Henderson all over again. Originally the Gophers were not on his list but all of a sudden they are because they're the local team and it will keep people off his back for the next 2 years. Smart move on his part to calm the masses.
When did he say he wasn't considering the gophers? You mean the time when he said the schools he and his friend were looking at? That was both of them, doesn't mean Tyus wasn't looking here.

Hope he comes to play for Gophers.

Won't blame him if he goes some place else.

Hope he doesn't pull a S Henderson and string us along with no intent of playing for the U.

I think it's safe to say we're in the running, along with a lot of schools. We could make his top 3 even. But he can only choose one. Even in the end if he doesn't choose Minnesota, doesn't mean he was just "stringing us along". If we make a sudden surge to the tourney this year, and then next year make a Sweet 16, I think that changes perspective, I'm just guessing. Waaaay too much time between now and when he probably finally pulls the trigger to assume anything about where he might end up.

Gophers have just as good of a shot as anyone.

No, they don't. They would if it were somehow possible for everyone else to have no shot as well.

chance to be a legend in MN and be hanging in the rafters of Williams Arena

Even if he did come here (which he absolutely will not), neither of these things would happen, because he is a 100% guarantee (barring injury) to only play one year in college, regardless of where he goes (which will be MSU or Duke). This is why I think the inevitable loss of Jones to a different school is almost meaningless, because schools at Minnesota's level are not helped by one-and-dones.

Plus, playing for one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history.

I like Tubby and I'm glad we have him, but settle down. He isn't even one of the greatest active coaches, let alone historically.

His mom really wants him to stay at home. We have that in our favor.

Reading this thread justifies my philosophy of GH posters. So many experts, so little expertise!

Seems like half the posters in this thread are HOPING he doesn't come to Minnesota because then they'd have to say something positive about the team. Those posters enjoy ripping the program, the coach, the players, and everything about the University more than they do cheering for their (allegedly) favorite team. If he doesn't choose us there will be plenty of time to bitch and complain, until then, try being optimistic every now and then, you'll probably live longer as a result.

Reading this thread justifies my philosophy of GH posters. So many experts, so little expertise!
What is your philosophy of yourself then Dr. Don?

I don't get what you try to add to the site...you have 5,700 posts, and I can't remember a post where you actually took a stance or contributed something besides talking about drinking or making fun of other posters?

I've never said a word to you about it...but I just have to pose the question.

No, they don't. They would if it were somehow possible for everyone else to have no shot as well.

I'm not saying he's a lock to come here by any means, but when a kid says "Minnesota is on my list. They are going to stay on my list.", count me as someone who won't call him a liar.

Dpodoll, do you have a reason you are saying there is no chance or are you just saying that because you think good players won't come here? If the latter is you're argument well I wonder how many Houston fans expected this year's #15 in the nation to commit? Or Providence fans expecting #22 AND #29?

Dpodoll, do you have a reason you are saying there is no chance

He never says Minnesota unless he is explicitly asked about them. In national interviews, he lists off a bunch of schools, but Minnesota is nowhere to be found. When asked about it, the first thing his mom says is, "They're close, so that's good." Proximity is nice, but when that's your first and best selling point, it's bad news. It's just not going to happen. And, like I said, it's not that big of a loss because Jones is a one-and-done, and one-and-dones don't help teams that aren't elite. Losing Royce was a far bigger loss than the eventual loss of Jones, because Royce would've stayed 2 or 3 years (at least).

If one of his goals is to get to the NBA as quickly as possible and plans on being a one and done i doubt he ends up at Minnesota. The style, exposure, etc. is probably better at other schools. It doesn't mean you can't do it, humphries did, but the chances are probably better elsewhere. This can change by the time he enters college but he would probably have a better chance going farther in the NCAA tournement with a Duke, Michigan State, or Kentucky in one season. I think if he plans on staying in college for at least two and maybe three years then Minnesota might look a little better to him.

ShowinGoldyLove said:
What is your philosophy of yourself then Dr. Don?

I don't get what you try to add to the site...you have 5,700 posts, and I can't remember a post where you actually took a stance or contributed something besides talking about drinking or making fun of other posters?

I've never said a word to you about it...but I just have to pose the question.

Hey Badger fan...can't we all just get along??

Even if he did come here (which he absolutely will not), neither of these things would happen, because he is a 100% guarantee (barring injury) to only play one year in college, regardless of where he goes (which will be MSU or Duke). This is why I think the inevitable loss of Jones to a different school is almost meaningless, because schools at Minnesota's level are not helped by one-and-dones.

I like Tubby and I'm glad we have him, but settle down. He isn't even one of the greatest active coaches, let alone historically.

I don't want to pick a fight with you, but these are just idiotic statements. Absolutely will not come to the Gophers? No shot at all? 100% guarantee to be one and done? I don't know if he's going to end up here or if he's going to be one and done, but you can't speak that confidently about things you truly have no concrete knowledge on. It makes you lose credibility with other topics that you might actually know to be fact.

Tyus Jones Granite City Classic Game

Did anybody else go to the game up in St. Cloud last night? It was packed as usual, but it seemed as if Jones was playing to about 40% of what he could, and he still had a great game. Hopefully we get to see more from him in the championship tonight. That being said I would love to see him in the maroon and gold in a couple years, the kids court vision is fantastic and he is the kind of player Tubby likes because he is so fundamentally sound.

That being said his defense was incredible lazy, but that could have been to the fact that Apple Valley ran a match-up zone all night so there were a ton of open looks for Buffalo who stayed in the game for most of the game

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Emotional Outbursts? I want to hear them, this kid is the real deal

His crossover stepback three at the end of the first half was rididculous.....

Thanks for the update. However, I really don't care that much as I suspect he has no intentions of coming to the U.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom