Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just watched Jones at Eagan. Wow. I'm guessing 35-ish and 10+ assists. Total control the whole game. It almost seemed like he was disinterested at times, because it was just so easy. Made a couple of bad passes, but made up for it with 5 or 6 beauties. Saw Thad Motta and another assistant in the crowd, but didn't see Tubby, which surprised me a bit. Overall, UNREAL!

Just watched Jones at Eagan. Wow. I'm guessing 35-ish and 10+ assists. Total control the whole game. It almost seemed like he was disinterested at times, because it was just so easy. Made a couple of bad passes, but made up for it with 5 or 6 beauties. Saw Thad Motta and another assistant in the crowd, but didn't see Tubby, which surprised me a bit. Overall, UNREAL!

Did he play any defense? I know others have posted about the fact that he has Ralph like intensity on that end of the floor. I've only watched him 3-4 times, once last year during a playoff loss and he never turned it up.

To be fair the positives far outweigh the lack of defensive effort.

I did notice his lack of defensive intensity. I don't know if this is because he is disinterested, or if he doesn't care to play defense. I did think to myself, that no matter where he ends up, his defense will have to be better than what I saw tonight. I can't see Izzo, Tubby, Coach K, Motta, etc. accepting the defensive intensity where I saw it tonight.

BUT...

The game was never really in doubt, and he didn't get burned or anything. Eagan doesn't really have a very good point guard, and I think if Tyus wanted to make the guys Eagan had at the point look bad, he could have. He just never really created anything on "D". It's hard to get too worked up about it...I guess that's why i didn't bring it up on my first post.

His defensive effort looked solid against Eastview. They played mostly zone with Tyus doubling down on the post. Numerous deflections leading to several turnovers and he swatted King. He's not Al Nolen but he can move his feet.

Re: Tubby, a tweet from Monter:

"Eden Prairie wins 75-58. Wallace 21 and Mohn 19 for EP. Fitzgibbons 20 and Travis and Scott had 13 each for DeLaSalle. Tubby Smith was here."

Go Gophers!!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. They made an announcement at halftime of the game last night that during the first half of the game, Tyus had an assist that broke the all-time career assist record at Apple Valley High school. 449. Not bad, for a soph. Can you imagine that AV basketball record book when he graduates?!?! The only record that might be unattainable is the rebounding record.

http://applevalleyhoops.com/boys/team/varsity/records/

Game @ Burnsville

Plan on going to Burnsville HS Friday night to see Jones for the 1st time. What time should I plan on being there if I want to get a seat?

Thanks in advance.

Burnsville's gym is pretty big and the Blaze squad isn't that good this year, so I figure there should be plenty of seats available. Last night Eagan's gym was more full than usual, but nowhere near capacity. Could be a different story on a Friday night though. I'd say 6:30 to 6:45 to be safe.

Re: Tubby, a tweet from Monter:

"Eden Prairie wins 75-58. Wallace 21 and Mohn 19 for EP. Fitzgibbons 20 and Travis and Scott had 13 each for DeLaSalle. Tubby Smith was here."

Go Gophers!!

Odds are Tubby Was watching Wallace, another 2014 PG i think, Travis and another kid from DeLaSalle who i think is a freshmen who plays PG. I think his first name is Jarvis but not sure.

Don't know much about Wallace, but I like Jarvis Johnson a lot. A lot can change between now and the time he is a senior, but it would be nice if Tubby is already recruiting him a little bit.

Tyus is the best player I have seen in MN ever at his age. He is also smart and a great kid. I went to the Eastview game and he was playing against men. Still, easly the best player on the court. To ask about his defense is like asking about Wayne Gretzky's defense. Does it really matter? He is 6'2" and plays defense to stay out of foul trouble. If AV loses him, they lose the game most likely.

I hope nobody reads this as any type of negative post about Tyus, and I know that passing in not as exciting to watch on a highlight reel as shooting is, but I would have liked to see a display of his point guard talents rather than a shooting video. My unofficial count was 27 shots shown and 5 assists.

Oh lawdy how I would love to see him in M&G.

I disagree.

Heard the crowd chanted Tyus's name...gotta love it, that wouldn't happen at Duke/M state/O state because he's just another recruit. You have to think that made an impression on a young kid.

captain.hindsight said:
Heard the crowd chanted Tyus's name...gotta love it, that wouldn't happen at Duke/M state/O state because he's just another recruit. You have to think that made an impression on a young kid.

Nadine tweeted there was a smile from tyus at that point. He really would be like a God here.

Trevor just tweeted: @Tyusjones06 heard you committed.Congrats bro welcome to the fam lol

A joke? My assumption is yes (especially with the whole "lol" part), but having Tyus at the game and seeing how good of a game it was, it can't have done anything but helped...

Trevor just tweeted: @Tyusjones06 heard you committed.Congrats bro welcome to the fam lol

A joke? My assumption is yes (especially with the whole "lol" part), but having Tyus at the game and seeing how good of a game it was, it can't have done anything but helped...

Be still my beating heart

you really going to get excited about a sophomore possibly committing?....Wait until at least he's a senior.

you really going to get excited about a sophomore possibly committing?....Wait until at least he's a senior.

Seriously? The prospects of having Tyus Jones commit now and the players we could draw in because of the committment in the next few years would be fairly exciting.

We certainly don't want to hyperbolize the Tyus chant, but that is fantastic mass psychology that should illustrate to Tyus and his family what he can establish here by embracing his home turf. He can become part of Mikan, Winfield, Moliter and Mauer folklore status, not a bad result for the long term. I hope his family can see the wisdom in that versus one and done at Duke or Puke (cheap shot sorry).

@Tyusjones06 @TMbakwe32 haha nah, that chant was nice tho.

As expected, it was a joke.

The chant was heard on TV (obviously) and Tyus watches Gopher games even when he isn't there.

Any chance we can do this chant at least once EVERY game for the next 2 years????

Do you think the fans were yelling Khalid, Khalid for 4 years at UConn? I realize the analogy won't be perfect here, but Humphries also discovered when you leave the state, no matter how highly touted, you are a cog in a 4 or 5 star team of recruits. Truly, the Barn is the ONLY arena where Tyus will receive game by game love.

BOUNDOUTPASSDUNK said:
Do you think the fans were yelling Khalid, Khalid for 4 years at UConn? I realize the analogy won't be perfect here, but Humphries also discovered when you leave the state, no matter how highly touted, you are a cog in a 4 or 5 star team of recruits. Truly, the Barn is the ONLY arena where Tyus will receive game by game love.

I agree that he will be loved here more than anywhere else. But your theory that "he'd be just another cog" isn't accurate. If you are good enough, you'll play. Cory Joseph went one and done. UK knocks freshman out yearly. Austin Rivers is/was starting at Duke. IMO, he starts day 1 no matter where he goes (assuming that team doesn't already have a well established PG) the difference is at MN, his tenure could be historic. At duke, MSU, wherever it's just another year, just another 5 star recruit.

I agree that he will be loved here more than anywhere else. But your theory that "he'd be just another cog" isn't accurate. If you are good enough, you'll play. Cory Joseph went one and done. UK knocks freshman out yearly. Austin Rivers is/was starting at Duke. IMO, he starts day 1 no matter where he goes (assuming that team doesn't already have a well established PG) the difference is at MN, his tenure could be historic. At duke, MSU, wherever it's just another year, just another 5 star recruit.

I agree...and I think that's kind of the point. In 5 years, 10 years, will Texas fans be reminiscing about Cory Joseph? Doubtful. If Tyus comes here he could legitimately be remembered forever (if his year here results in a huge NCAA run).

Scher and Fry, I think we're in accord on this point. By "cog in a wheel," I didn't mean Tyus would be no. 6, 7 or 8 coming off of the bench, simply that he'd be a contributor as a starter as compared to a program changer and folk hero at MN. It's an interesting question of priorities for Tyus and the Jones family. Whereever he goes, his trajectory remains high, he'll succeed wherever he goes, with an NBA 'opportunity.' Superstardom is never guaranteed.

I love Gopher basketball and I always am excited for a new season... but my hopes and expectations are always reasonably low.

All I want is for one season, to go into the season actually believing that this University can showcase some of the best young talent in the country, and have tournament success to show for it.

Jones, Vaughn, and Okafor would bring the attention, and the legitimacy to a program long overdue for a success story. Helping to bring in other top talent from inside and outside of the state. I think being a great player at a university is one thing, but being the change that helps transform a program is something that transcends individual statistics and leads into the stuff that legends are made of.

Please go to the University that actually wants and NEEDS you to play, you won't be forgotten after one season, and memories count for something. Be a legend on your home turf, and show the rest of the country that this state breeds basketball talent.. if you go elsewhere they won't care where you're from.

I never get that excited over one player, especially one who is probably one and done. When you go after that type of kid, you need to keep getting that type of kid. We don't produce that type of player on a consistent basis in Minnesota. God bless Ohio State, Michigan State, Duke and some of the others that can.

The blueprint is our sophomore to be class. If they stay together, they will take us where we want to go. No, I would not turn Tyus down if he wants to play here. Nor would I flood this board with Tubby can't recruit, Tubby can't coach, Tubby can't fix the economy etc., if he doesn't.

I don't get excited over one player either. Tyus and family will make the decision based on what is best for his career. If it's the Gophers - Duke - Mich St - Ohio St - or some sleeper team ... good for him. Times have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom