Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyus may never come here and I'm sure our chances are less than 50% and at this moment maybe closer to 10% (they are not zero for the math challenged as I don't think he has ruled anyone out). The fact that he attended the home opener and gushed about the team and how athletic they were is not a bad sign. I do think Tubby recruits the type of players he would like playing with (athletic and get up and down court quickly). If the program improves and the current team does well and has a good season (NCAA and wins a game or two) then I think we will be right there in the mix. If the team flops, then its going to be tough.

Sure, the big boys will come calling, but if we play well and the team does well, I think Tyus will certainly look at us as Tubby is a good coach. Up until now, what top Twin Cities recruit has Tubby missed on (that he wanted?). This is a different story though and will be a game changer if we land Tyus. I don't think its a bad sign if we don't get him as Tyus is one of THE BEST players in the class, not just top 30 or 40.. big difference. Big difference.

zambam said:
Are you? The poster you quoted said he hadn't heard of any of the kids but Tyus and asked if they were Minnesota kids. You responded by asking where anyone has heard Tyus wants to be a Gopher. Nobody said that he said he was going to a Gopher ANYWHERE in this thread.

Are you ever going to make sense?

Relax. Can I guarantee it? No. Maybe guarantee was not the right word. I just have my doubts. If he gets offers from the likes of Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. I don't like our odds. No need to get all ESPN.com conversation on me.

That's all I'm saying. It's stupid to guarantee something that isn't even possible to guarantee. If you think our chances are low, that's fine. We're far from a lock to get him, but I'm going to continue to hold out hope. Regardless of how good a team is, if you're a player's hometown school there is always a chance.

GophersOnTheRise said:
That's all I'm saying. It's stupid to guarantee something that isn't even possible to guarantee. If you think our chances are low, that's fine. We're far from a lock to get him, but I'm going to continue to hold out hope. Regardless of how good a team is, if you're a player's hometown school there is always a chance.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Shama: Prep Star Jones Still Looking at Gophers

There’s no truth to speculation Apple Valley point guard Tyus Jones is not “seriously” considering the Gophers as his college choice, according to his mother.

Debbie Jones told Sports Headliners she didn’t “know where people are getting their information” when discussing her son, a high school sophomore who national observers consider the best at his position in the country. “Oh, yeah, he is definitely considering Minnesota,” she said.

Programs that Jones is seriously looking at include Ohio State, Michigan State, Duke and Arizona, as well as Minnesota. Except for Duke all have offered scholarships.

About a month ago family members including Tyus and his mother were at Ohio State for a first out of town unofficial visit. Debbie said they met Buckeyes coach Thad Matta and attended an exhibition game.

She also said multiple factors will weigh on her son’s ultimate college choice and that staying home to attend school has appeal. While the Gophers haven’t been winning for years like Ohio State and others on his list, that won’t necessarily tip a decision to choose a school other than Minnesota, according to Debbie.

Her sister and brother-in-law, Darcy and Greg Cascaes, made the trip to Columbus. Debbie said family will influence the consideration of a college choice but ultimately the decision will be “what Tyus wants to do, no doubt.”

Apple Valley opens its season tomorrow night against Eden Prairie at home. Apple Valley hopes to be among the state's best teams this season and in a prep jamboree last month beat defending Class 4A champion Hopkins. “Our kids played fabulous,” Debbie said.

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Shama: Prep Star Jones Still Looking at Gophers

There’s no truth to speculation Apple Valley point guard Tyus Jones is not “seriously” considering the Gophers as his college choice, according to his mother.

Debbie Jones told Sports Headliners she didn’t “know where people are getting their information” when discussing her son, a high school sophomore who national observers consider the best at his position in the country. “Oh, yeah, he is definitely considering Minnesota,” she said.

Programs that Jones is seriously looking at include Ohio State, Michigan State, Duke and Arizona, as well as Minnesota. Except for Duke all have offered scholarships.

About a month ago family members including Tyus and his mother were at Ohio State for a first out of town unofficial visit. Debbie said they met Buckeyes coach Thad Matta and attended an exhibition game.

She also said multiple factors will weigh on her son’s ultimate college choice and that staying home to attend school has appeal. While the Gophers haven’t been winning for years like Ohio State and others on his list, that won’t necessarily tip a decision to choose a school other than Minnesota, according to Debbie.

Her sister and brother-in-law, Darcy and Greg Cascaes, made the trip to Columbus. Debbie said family will influence the consideration of a college choice but ultimately the decision will be “what Tyus wants to do, no doubt.”

Apple Valley opens its season tomorrow night against Eden Prairie at home. Apple Valley hopes to be among the state's best teams this season and in a prep jamboree last month beat defending Class 4A champion Hopkins. “Our kids played fabulous,” Debbie said.

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Damn it, stuff like this gets my hopes up. ;)

Izzo/Matta/Krzyzewski/Williams watching Tyus Jones this week

I don't know if Matta made it up here last night but I believe Izzo did.

Can someone not offer these guys a beverage laced with turbo lax before they sit down to watch Jones play?

Courtesy of Ryan James twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/RyanJamesMN

Yes, izzo was at TJ's game last night. Kare 11 of course had a shot of him in the crowd on Shaver's sports.

*Waiting for posters blasting Tubby for not being there*

I'm stunned Izzo wasn't back in East Lansing preparing for Sparty's gigantic battle with Central Connecticut tonight.

I wonder if a coach has ever missed a game because he was out recruiting and freak weather prevented him from returning.

The fact that he hasn't transferred to a west metro school yet is a good sign IMO.

The fact that he hasn't transferred to a west metro school yet is a good sign IMO.
You have to believe certain transfer hotbeds have made the call. Give the kid time to enjoy being a high school kid. There's another 2 and a half years of hoping to go.

Give the kid time to enjoy being a high school kid.

He must commit to the Gophers and decide what he wants to do for the rest of his life now.

I'm all for the turbo-lax idea. :D

I sat by Izzo last night and he said that he likes to see potential recruits first game of the season. He saw Jabari Parker play Saturday. He admitted that he doesn't like being gone before a game (They play Central Connecticut State tonight) and they travel out to Gonzaga for a road game this weekend. I know that there are some Gopher fans that might not like Izzo, but I think that he is one of the nicest coaches I know. He is always friendly and accommodating to fans who wanted a photo or autograph.

Chris Monter

Izzo's teams are easy to root for in the tourney every year once the gophers inevitably lose in the NIT

Izzo's teams are easy to root for in the tourney every year once the gophers inevitably lose in the NIT
I would agree with that. I tend to like Michigan St in every sport (compared to most of the other B10 teams). I'll cheer for them in hockey and football as well.

Izzy and Tubby

Izzo is old school like Tubby. He wasn't afraid to kick Chris Allen off of MSU last year (now at ISU with Royce) along with another guard, leading to a lack of experienced guard talent in 2010-11. MSU had an off year. Does that sound familiar? Did MSU fans castigate Izzo as too old, too tough, his time has passed? MSU has the luxury of a state blessed with tons of 4*, 5* talent. Izzo has infrastructure that we don't. Insofar as Tyus, we have family, friends and his role as hero and being the potential program changer, a legacy he can leave, assuming he is as good as we believe. Tubby and staff need to sell that we too will teach him discipline, leading to NBA success and admiration from friends and local culture that he can uniquely acheive here.

STrib Q&A with Debbie Jones:

Q What does he like about the ‘U'?
A Well, it’s close. That’s what I like about the U. We’ve been over there and on campus and stuff. You know, I think the people are good that they have in place over there. It’s a good university – they have good programs. I can’t say one thing over another thing that would stand out other than the closeness for me.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/135329293.html

Go Gophers!!

STrib Q&A with Debbie Jones:

Q What does he like about the ‘U'?
A Well, it’s close. That’s what I like about the U. We’ve been over there and on campus and stuff. You know, I think the people are good that they have in place over there. It’s a good university – they have good programs. I can’t say one thing over another thing that would stand out other than the closeness for me.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/135329293.html

Go Gophers!!

That's not too encouraging.

Based on those quotes from Mr. Jones, I'd put 'em in the "not exactly a ringing endorsement for the Gophers" category, kinda' like a friendly pat on the head. Hopefully Tubby can sway the young man from the evils of Duke, Michigan State, Ohio State, Kansas, etc. It'll be an extra special kick in the nards if he attends another B1G school.

I'm not reading too much into that. They're all pretty coy about what they're doing.

I would agree with that. I tend to like Michigan St in every sport (compared to most of the other B10 teams). I'll cheer for them in hockey and football as well.

the BTN all-access on Michigan State last year showed them in a pretty good light also. And it also showed their nice practice facility. It was a good advertisement for MSU.

Shooter:

"Word in local basketball circles is that Michigan State is in the lead in the Tyus Jones sweepstakes. Spartans coach Tom Izzo was in town last week to watch the Apple Valley sophomore point guard, 15, in a loss to Eden Prairie."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19520196

Go Gophers!!

I attended his game against Tartan last night. The gym was a zoo, and there wasn't a seat in sight if you weren't there early enough. Let me tell you though that this guy is the real deal. Please Tubby... if there is one thing you ever do, please get him... and then get theisen, vaughn, and travis. Just clear out every scholarship you can for this 2014 class. It's gonna be a special one.

I attended his game against Tartan last night. The gym was a zoo, and there wasn't a seat in sight if you weren't there early enough. Let me tell you though that this guy is the real deal. Please Tubby... if there is one thing you ever do, please get him... and then get theisen, vaughn, and travis. Just clear out every scholarship you can for this 2014 class. It's gonna be a special one.

The class of 2014 will be very good.

Jones and Vaughn are no brainers. As impressive as Jones was on Saturday, Vaughn may have been even better.

Theisen and Travis have the potential to be top 100 types, but it's too early to put them on the "must get" list.

I hear ya where "closeness" may seem like faint praise. But whatever they like about Michigan State, whether it's coach Izzo or whatever, could change. Some other school or other coach could later be perceived as having the same attributes only more so. Whereas, the U will still be closer no matter what. It's a sustainable advantage.

Kudos to the staff for the increased cleanliness of the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom