Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B/c the OP asked for comments and no one was giving any. Why not you and matty comment on the basis of the OP request as opposed to focusing on my comment that seems to be bugging you two.

I read it as the OP wanted comments from the tourney, which I did not see.

Tyus Jones tonight against Rocori had 42 points 8 assists and 7 steals and he left the game with about 9 and a half minutes left to play. He brought it tonight what a game and big time player.

I'm about as optimistic as they come but I think my excitement for this kid has reached it's max. I can't help but feel I'm getting excited for someone else's star recruit. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just don't get a sense that this kid wants to go to Minnesota.

Sid either has no one editing his columns or he has a major scoop that RICE is in on one of the top kids in the nation:

"While rumors spread that Apple Valley sophomore guard Tyus Jones favored either Duke or Rice, he recently made it clear that Minnesota is one of the colleges he will strongly consider. Jones is averaging 25.8 points per game for the 5-1 Eagles."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/136407178.html?page=2&c=y

Go Gophers!!

BleedGopher said:
Sid either has no one editing his columns or he has a major scoop that RICE is in on one of the top kids in the nation:

"While rumors spread that Apple Valley sophomore guard Tyus Jones favored either Duke or Rice, he recently made it clear that Minnesota is one of the colleges he will strongly consider. Jones is averaging 25.8 points per game for the 5-1 Eagles."

Go Gophers!!

Rice??? Gotta be Sid being Sid again. Should have heard him trying to say Mikko Koivu one the radio today...classic!!!!

Duke or Kentucky? We have Mav..............don't need him.

I'm about as optimistic as they come but I think my excitement for this kid has reached it's max. I can't help but feel I'm getting excited for someone else's star recruit. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just don't get a sense that this kid wants to go to Minnesota.

I may be in the minority on this board, but I can't fault Tyus for going elsewhere, if that is indeed what he decides to do. Don't get me wrong, would love to see him in maroon and gold, but when you're the cream of the crop, and you can go to any school you want, there is serious appeal to go elsewhere. The fact of the matter is that Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Syracuse, etc. all consistently produce first round draft picks. For kids today, that's the goal. On a personal level, again I would like Tyus to come here, and we should recruit the crap out of him, but I won't be surprised if he goes elsewhere.

I would be just as happy having our squad win and be made up of lesser known players. The key is having the team consistently win, regardless of who is playing. This is why Tubby was hired, he is a premium coach, and should be winning. That is the real issue/question at this point; whether Tubby can win consistently. I want him to get the best players in the country to play here, but that's not realistic. It is however realistic to expect that a coach of Tubby's caliber can put together a team of players that can consistently win.

And by consistently win, I personally expect a top 5 finisher in the conference, and a perennial tournament team, every year.

Juicer, I don't blame him either. I just can't get excited about Duke/UNC/Kentucky/MSU's top 2014 recruit. If he some how does choose to play for the hometown team, he'll easily become my favorite Gopher of all time and I think the same could be said for the rest of Gopher Nation.

Juicer, I don't blame him either. I just can't get excited about Duke/UNC/Kentucky/MSU's top 2014 recruit. If he some how does choose to play for the hometown team, he'll easily become my favorite Gopher of all time and I think the same could be said for the rest of Gopher Nation.

Completely agree. I am neither confident or excited, but really really really hope he comes to the U. Agreed he would quickly become superstar, folk hero, etc. in a flash.

Completely agree. I am neither confident or excited, but really really really hope he comes to the U. Agreed he would quickly become superstar, folk hero, etc. in a flash.

He would be bigger than Rubio, IMO. And if Rubio can get excitement back in the Target center, imagine what Tyus alone or even him + Vaugn + a frontcourt of Mo and EE (Maybe even Jahil Okafor?) could do to the Barn. Wow. Talk about single handedly changing a program forever.

That said, the glamor of Duke, UNC, etc. can be tough to turn down. And even if Coach K were here, I wouldn't fault him for losing guys to those blue blood schools. I have NO clue what Tyus or any other 2014 guys will do, but to have him in maroon in gold would be pretty incredible.

I may be in the minority on this board, but I can't fault Tyus for going elsewhere, if that is indeed what he decides to do. Don't get me wrong, would love to see him in maroon and gold, but when you're the cream of the crop, and you can go to any school you want, there is serious appeal to go elsewhere. The fact of the matter is that Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Syracuse, etc. all consistently produce first round draft picks. For kids today, that's the goal. On a personal level, again I would like Tyus to come here, and we should recruit the crap out of him, but I won't be surprised if he goes elsewhere.

I would be just as happy having our squad win and be made up of lesser known players. The key is having the team consistently win, regardless of who is playing. This is why Tubby was hired, he is a premium coach, and should be winning. That is the real issue/question at this point; whether Tubby can win consistently. I want him to get the best players in the country to play here, but that's not realistic. It is however realistic to expect that a coach of Tubby's caliber can put together a team of players that can consistently win.

And by consistently win, I personally expect a top 5 finisher in the conference, and a perennial tournament team, every year.

It's fine if you think Tyus will go to another school, but this reasoning just doesn't make sense. Are you under the impression that those schools get the same talent that Minnesota gets and they just happen to turn their players into first round picks while Minnesota doesn't? They produce first round picks because they sign first round talent out of high school. If Minnesota consistently got 5-star players then we would consistently produce first round picks too. It's not because of what school they go to. If Tyus is good enough to be a first round pick, which he most likely will be, he will be a first round pick regardless of what school he goes to.

It's fine if you think Tyus will go to another school, but this reasoning just doesn't make sense. Are you under the impression that those schools get the same talent that Minnesota gets and they just happen to turn their players into first round picks while Minnesota doesn't? They produce first round picks because they sign first round talent out of high school. If Minnesota consistently got 5-star players then we would consistently produce first round picks too. It's not because of what school they go to. If Tyus is good enough to be a first round pick, which he most likely will be, he will be a first round pick regardless of what school he goes to.

Totally agree with you actually. My point on the first round picks was that while his standing with the NBA would not be affected by going here, those other schools are factories for first round draft picks. Recruiting a top 10 rated national player is less about emotional attachment to a particular school than it is about a clear pathway to the NBA. This is the unfortunate reality for Tubby and the U. Yes, he would still be an NBA player if he came here, but the exposure, track record and pedigree of the other schools is incredibly hard to compete with for a kid like Tyus.

If he is gonna be a "one and done" flash...I have too many memories of Kris Humphries (nee Mr. Kardashian). If he wants to play for his full eligibility and get a degree, then come to the University of Minnesota.

Go Gophers!!

Sid probably couldn't remember if it was Duke or Rice, so he just included them both.

If he is gonna be a "one and done" flash...I have too many memories of Kris Humphries (nee Mr. Kardashian). If he wants to play for his full eligibility and get a degree, then come to the University of Minnesota.

Not wanting Tyus because he may or may not play one season is crazy. I can't think of two players who are less comparable than Tyus/Humphries. The difference is Tyus would help the team win and could make Minnesota more relevant nationally, thus improving recruiting. Plus if he committed somewhat early it could entice other players to commit from that class, players who may stay 3 or 4 years who we may not have gotten otherwise. Regardless of how many years he stays in college, we want Tyus to be a Gopher. Period.

Not wanting Tyus because he may or may not play one season is crazy. I can't think of two players who are less comparable than Tyus/Humphries. The difference is Tyus would help the team win and could make Minnesota more relevant nationally, thus improving recruiting. Plus if he committed somewhat early it could entice other players to commit from that class, players who may stay 3 or 4 years who we may not have gotten otherwise. Regardless of how many years he stays in college, we want Tyus to be a Gopher. Period.

Tyus would have more assists than Humphries.

Dr.Don said:

Full eligibility is rare if they're a beast - Now Tyus has so much talent that I would take two years.

Tyus would have more assists than Humphries.

True.

Kris Humphries
2003-04

29 games
20 assists
12 games with 0 assists (played at least 29 minutes in every game)
game-high assists: 2 (4 times)

I attended the Apple Valley-Lakeville South game tonight. The Eagles won 78-61 after trailing 23-6. Tyus Jones had 34 points, six rebounds & ten assists. Jones made all 13 free throws. Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo was in attendance along with his wife and two kids. Apple Valley shot just 33.3% from the field in the first half, but made 58.8% in the second. They face Onalaska in Timberwolves Shootout at 6:30 Saturday.

Chris, clearly Izzo putting the "I care" effort/push on Tyus. Can you compare and quantify the number of visits MN has made? Is MN more behind the scenes and not public?

Chris, clearly Izzo putting the "I care" effort/push on Tyus. Can you compare and quantify the number of visits MN has made? Is MN more behind the scenes and not public?

There is no way he is going to MN. Tubby might as well concentrate his efforts elsewhere. Tyus isn't going to play in Tubby's system. Not a chance.

"Family is a big thing in my life." This could be good for us.

that list of people that has been at all of his games need to point out how they could get to 20 games a year in MN vs just a couple elsewhere.

the thing Tubby needs to address is the style of play and other players who are there aspect. Good to see a little more push the ball upcourt style and points the last couple of games.

'Course it's not so much a question of whether we're pushing to ball now, it's a question of whether you let a kid like Tyus Jones push it. Well, of course you do. But I agree, Tyus might want to see some proof of that. But, seriously, the worst coach in the entire NCAA today could see that that's what you do.

Tubby needs to come right out and tell Tyus that he will change his offense to Tyus's style of play. This is the biggest recruit to ever come out of Minnesota and a guy that could change this program for the next decade or more. You do whatever it takes and tell him everything he wants to hear... And then do it.

afurry91 said:
Tubby needs to come right out and tell Tyus that he will change his offense to Tyus's style of play. This is the biggest recruit to ever come out of Minnesota and a guy that could change this program for the next decade or more. You do whatever it takes and tell him everything he wants to hear... And then do it.
With a kid like this changing the offense to fit the talent would be the obvious way to run your team. I think Tubby would do that. A 5 star recruit with the talent of Tyus does not come out of MN that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom