Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like Tyus at least had a good time on campus. Also said some positive things about this year's team. Now we just need to rack up some W's and show him that he'll be competing for a Big Ten Championship if he stays home.

Seems like Tyus at least had a good time on campus. Also said some positive things about this year's team. Now we just need to rack up some W's and show him that he'll be competing for a Big Ten Championship if he stays home.

Exactly. That is the most positive I've seen him be about the Gophers and I like it! Plenty of time to go, and it would be huge if he came to MN!

Seems like a great kid regardless though, so no matter where he goes, best of luck to him, but let's see him in maroon and gold!!!

I sure hope he hasn't been to the Seantrel Henderson school of stringing you along with absolutely no intention of ever playing for the Gophers but had to try and look good by saying they would be included in his final decision.

Jones is that rare special athlete from the state of Minnesota (outside of hockey) that every program in America wants. Seantrel Henderson, Kris Humphries and Royce White are a few others in the last 10 years. He is obviously a must-get for this program, considering how tough it's been for the program to lock up the previous three athletes mentioned. Tubby, obviously, knows this and will put the full-court press on Jones in an attempt to lock him up. The earlier Jones makes his decision, even if he chooses to go elsewhere, the better. It would allow Tubby to build a team around him (if he decides to commit) or look elsewhere for an alternative option (if he decides to leave the state).

Jones is in another class altogether compared to past top recruits. I will say, that for all the moaning about Tubby's recruiting, he has landed every Minnesota recruit he wanted for the most part (Royce, Rodney, Joe Coleman). Anyone he missed on was because he was just hired... I think the guys they wanted, they landed. That cannot be said for previous Minnesota coaches, including Clem. That all said, Jones is in a class by himself and Tubby will have his work cut out for him..

Reality check- while I will hold Tubby accountable for top in-state talent, I cannot call anyone a must get such that Tubby should be slighted for his inability to land any such prospect.

You cannot blame any coach for one kid leaving town. You can, however, expect that a coach land a large percentage of top in-state kids and that is what Tubby has done to date.

I just don't think Jones wants to come here and I can't hold that against Tubby (I don't believe any coach could have kept him here).

We don't know where Tyus is going to go. Tyus doesn't know where Tyus is going to go. Let's not talk in past tense as if he already left the state.

GophersOnTheRise said:
We don't know where Tyus is going to go. Tyus doesn't know where Tyus is going to go. Let's not talk in past tense as if he already left the state.

Fair enough. I just won't blame Tubby if he leaves. Some kids just don't want to stay home no matter who the coach is.

That being said, if Tubby continually misses on top MN talent, there is a big problem that needs correction.

All Things Tyus Jones Thread

is tubby going to offer this kid... i know tyus wants to play with him, why wouldnt tubby offer him he would have a chance to land two big time players.. he has to you would think and if he doesnt get tyus,, pressure is on because then he needs rashad even more who is a pure scorer.. if we could just get rashad i think the class is still a victory rashad will be top 40 player as well get em all and we have a contender right away. any thoughts or insight on this?

I am hoping to one day say a similar article posted here, "ESPN: Led by Apple Valley's Tyus Jones, the future of the Minnesota Gophers is bright"

Beat me by a minute. I really want this kid to sign here! It would set the precedent for Minnesota high school athletes to stay in state.

I am thankful for..

Tubby and MN basketball. They are in a position to take a step foward this year and show Tyus the Gophers can win and win big. His commitment and one year performance could make for a beautiful swan song for Mr. Smith.

Think how big of a shift in the program it would be if we could get all 3. I know it's not very likely, but wow. Tubby needs to offer him now.

is tubby going to offer this kid... i know tyus wants to play with him, why wouldnt tubby offer him he would have a chance to land two big time players.. he has to you would think and if he doesnt get tyus,, pressure is on because then he needs rashad even more who is a pure scorer.. if we could just get rashad i think the class is still a victory rashad will be top 40 player as well get em all and we have a contender right away. any thoughts or insight on this?

So who are these kids?

I can tell this is a sarcastic post haha but Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn. I'd be happy just getting Vaughn, I bet we strike out with all 3 though.

Actually its no. I have read about Tyus but not the others. Are they Minnesota kids?

Vaughn goes to Cooper and plays for Net Gain Sports. Rashad averaged 11.6 points as a freshman. He has offers from Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Baylor, and Wisconsin.

Okafor has already said he is going to play with Tyus in college. He has received offers from Arkansas, DePaul, Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan State, Arizona, and UCONN. Jahlil is 5 stars on Rivals (#4 nationally), and 98 on ESPN (1st Illinois, 1st Midwest, 1st Center, and 3rd nationally at any position).

Bayfieldgopher said:
Actually its no. I have read about Tyus but not the others. Are they Minnesota kids?

Where has anybody heard that Tyus wants to be a Gopher? That kid has not said a thing yet.

That's 2 years away yet, many things can change in that time. You can't guarentee anything.

Would obviously love to have Tyus come here, but from reading his interviews, it doesn't look likely.

Yes I can.

Oh. Well when you put it that way I guess you can. Be sure to let Tubby know so he doesn't waste any more time. By the way you should hit me up after Selection Sunday. It's been a while since I've won a bracket pool and could use all the answers ahead of time. Better yet, why don't you just let me know the results of the games now. You probably already know all of the match-ups and seedings.

Oh. Well when you put it that way I guess you can. Be sure to let Tubby know so he doesn't waste any more time. By the way you should hit me up after Selection Sunday. It's been a while since I've won a bracket pool and could use all the answers ahead of time. Better yet, why don't you just let me know the results of the games now. You probably already know all of the match-ups and seedings.

Relax. Can I guarantee it? No. Maybe guarantee was not the right word. I just have my doubts. If he gets offers from the likes of Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. I don't like our odds. No need to get all ESPN.com conversation on me.

I'm with GiP on this one. People can harbor delusions, but don't get mad when he goes elsewhere, cuz he ain't comin' here, Tubby or no Tubby. Feel free to throw this back in our faces if he shocks the world and stays, but I'm very confident that I needn't worry about that.

Are you ever going to make sense?
Are you? The poster you quoted said he hadn't heard of any of the kids but Tyus and asked if they were Minnesota kids. You responded by asking where anyone has heard Tyus wants to be a Gopher. Nobody said that he said he was going to a Gopher ANYWHERE in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom