Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also heard that from a friend that if Tubby stayed Tyus would have too.

That is downright laughable, for reasons that don't need to be explained to anyone on this board. (The fact in the statement, not disputing that you heard it).

Tyus will have a relatively easy "out" if we get a commitment from another top tier PG this fall, which looked very likely a month ago but is looking more dicey now. If we get into late Oct/Nov still without a PG commit, there is going to be even more pressure on Tyus to stay home. I'm not saying that'll affect his decision, but still ...

I also heard that from a friend that if Tubby stayed Tyus would have too. He also told me Illikainen is a lock to go to the U

After watching Jones a few times and how he played and Tubby's offense over the six years it was pretty obvious Jones wasn't comming to Minnesota, I figured that door closed long ago, the hiring of Pitino may have given the Gopher a small chance, improbable but better than nothing anyway, as long as it's not Kentucky I'll wish him the best.

per Shama:

Although former Gophers guard Al Nuness is a distant cousin of Tyus Jones, it was coincidence the two were in Waco, Texas last weekend. Nuness arrived last week and is still in Waco celebrating the first birthday (today) of granddaughter Jasmine Nuness. She is the daughter of Jared Nuness who is Al’s son and works as director of player development for the Baylor men’s basketball team that is recruiting Jones.

“I am not involved and have never been involved in Tyus’ recruiting process,” Al said.

Jones, rated by Rivals.com as the No. 2 prospect in the country for the class of 2014, made an official visit to Baylor a few days ago. Joining him in Waco was his friend Jahlil Okafor, the No. 1 rated prospect. It’s almost certain the two players, Jones a point guard from Apple Valley High School, and Okafor, the center from Whitney Young High in Chicago, will attend college together.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

The NFL Mock Ranks Tyus Jones #1 Recruit!

http://thenflmock.com/ has ranked Tyus Jones the number one recruit in America! Very cool how he has put Minnesota basketball on the map.

One reason a guy like Jones might not want to make an official visit to a place like Minnesota is that he's worried they might wow him and complicate his decision process. Better, perhaps, to keep it simple.

One reason a guy like Jones might not want to make an official visit to a place like Minnesota is that he's worried they might wow him and complicate his decision process. Better, perhaps, to keep it simple.

I actually am starting to see a very, very small glimmer of hope on Jones. I think he will visit Minnesota. Everyone says he's a mortal lock for Duke. If so- what's keeping him from commiting there? That would be the fastest pressure release button he could push if he is worried about local pressure. It seems he has a good relationship with Pitino and playing at home does have some appeal. It's probably a 1 in 20 deal but I don't think this is over.

My guess is he'll visit. Maybe it will be a courtesy visit, but he probably feels at least some home state loyalty.

I actually am starting to see a very, very small glimmer of hope on Jones. I think he will visit Minnesota. Everyone says he's a mortal lock for Duke. If so- what's keeping him from commiting there? That would be the fastest pressure release button he could push if he is worried about local pressure. It seems he has a good relationship with Pitino and playing at home does have some appeal. It's probably a 1 in 20 deal but I don't think this is over.

What's keeping him from committing anywhere? Most top recruits want to take at least one official visit before making a commitment - either the first or the last official visit is where the recruit wants to go the most usually. And of course with Jones/Okafor, they both scheduled Baylor first (nobody in their right mind had them committing there) and Duke last (the obvious choice and prohibitive favorite).

If you don't want to take an official visit to a school and are taking them to other schools, you're not going to a school where you're not taking an official visit because clearly you only get five and you take them to the schools that you are most interested in. Practically speaking if you don't get an official visit and other schools are getting them, your chances are slim and none and slim left town. And I think he wants to make a sort of joint decision with Okafor, and clearly they plan on getting to the end of their visits before doing that.

Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State and Kansas want Tyus. Baylor and Minnesota need Tyus. Hope he makes the decision to stay in Minnesota so his family can watch every game. I have heard his family is very important to him and they even plan to attend some of his officials. He can watch his little brother play at Apple Valley and vice versa. I know many people who left Minnesota for different reasons and would do anything to get back to be closer to family. Tyus has the power to make that decision and be part of his family for at least one more year! He will get more than enough time away from his family in the NBA! Blood is thicker than water. Hope he chooses his family!

Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State and Kansas want Tyus. Baylor and Minnesota need Tyus. Hope he makes the decision to stay in Minnesota so his family can watch every game. I have heard his family is very important to him and they even plan to attend some of his officials. He can watch his little brother play at Apple Valley and vice versa. I know many people who left Minnesota for different reasons and would do anything to get back to be closer to family. Tyus has the power to make that decision and be part of his family for at least one more year! He will get more than enough time away from his family in the NBA! Blood is thicker than water. Hope he chooses his family!

Agree completely. The energy around the Gophers if he committed would be insane.

Jones and Okafor have given no indication that they don't plan on playing together anymore. Okafor still doesn't have the U on his list. It's still an incredible long shot, nothing has changed in that regard IMO.

The Sporting News: What Tyler Ulis' decision means for Tyus Jones

So if that’s the case, we know that the other available point guard offered a scholarship by Kentucky, Tyus Jones, won’t be headed to Lexington. And it would also seem that there’s no need for him to go through with his planned visit to UK on Sept. 25-27, either.

That leaves three other schools in the running for Jones—Baylor, Duke and Kansas, with the latter two schools being ones he has yet to visit. Jones will be visiting both Kansas (Oct. 18-20) and Duke (Oct. 25-27) with good friend and presumptive college teammate Jahlil Okafor.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...higan-states-plan-b-lourawls-nairn-tyus-jones

per Sid:

• Has any local high school basketball player ever been recruited as heavily as Apple Valley point guard Tyus Jones? Starting this week, Jones will have representatives from Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Baylor and Minnesota visit him in his home. Conspicuous by his absence is Michigan State coach Tom Izzo. He had been heavily pursuing Jones but apparently has backed off. Look for Jones to eventually sign with Duke.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/223566421.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

The harder Kansas goes after him and puts some doubt in his mind about Duke, the more I think there could be an ever so slight chance it could be us in the end.

Frankly, there are some compelling reasons for him to stay, and as the process plays out this fall maybe his outlook will evolve. I do think that if we got a commitment from another top player soon, that could also change the perception a bit. Obviously nobody would say our chances are even fair at this point, but it's also comical that national writers don't even bother mentioning us as a finalist for Jones.

That's not what they've been telling Tyus and his family. He's the court leader and PG that's going to help us win an NCAA championship. The next great player at Kansas or Duke.

Truth be told I think that's mostly accurate. Jones is a very talent for even the big dogs in college basketball.

There is a reason Izzo backed off of Jones, he knows there is zero chance of landing him. While Kansas may have a small chance, Minnesota has none.

Kansas has a huge chance. In fact, I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up there.

In lieu of writing an endorsement of KU (I think his best choice is MN), I will tell you why not Duke.

1) Okafor won't go to Duke. If he he does he is a fool. Big men at Duke set screens, rebound and have underwhelming NBA "careers".

2) Coach K has the most deceptively racist (which fits in with most of their fans) recruiting practices in the country.

3) Duke is simply not cool. In fact, they are easily the most mocked and ridiculed team in the country (for good reason)

In lieu of writing an endorsement of KU (I think his best choice is MN), I will tell you why not Duke.

1) Okafor won't go to Duke. If he he does he is a fool. Big men at Duke set screens, rebound and have underwhelming NBA "careers".

2) Coach K has the most deceptively racist (which fits in with most of their fans) recruiting practices in the country.

3) Duke is simply not cool. In fact, they are easily the most mocked and ridiculed team in the country (for good reason)
:rolleyes: Winning breeds success.

Your post is pathetic.

Some folks need help

It seems we should know within the next couple weeks whether Tum Tum chooses the Gophers. If he does, can we mercifully just blow up this thread?
We're not taking two pure PGs in the same class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom