Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The conspiracy theorist in me is wondering if this talk about an official visit to Minnesota is only an effort by the Jones family to throw off the Duke scent. This way Tyus and Okafor can "enjoy the process" more than they have been.

That's the first thing I thought when I saw the buzz from Amelia. First the crap from Okafor's dad about the lack of drama and "process" in the process. Now an injection of drama into the local angle. We can always hope there's something of substance to all this, but I've seen way too many blue chip recruiting dramas, with the emphasis on "drama."

That's the first thing I thought when I saw the buzz from Amelia. First the crap from Okafor's dad about the lack of drama and "process" in the process. Now an injection of drama into the local angle. We can always hope there's something of substance to all this, but I've seen way too many blue chip recruiting dramas, with the emphasis on "drama."

Everyone's gotta have his soaps, but I took you for a Days of Our Lives kinda guy.

He will end up at Kansas. The only question is will his mom end up with a "job" in Lawrence like most KU recruits parents do. Will she want to move her other son?

jones is Duke or Kansas, there is not another option. Minnesota is in good shape with several nice point guards.If your a miracle junkie they do happen but the staffs at KU and Duke are convinced it is between them.

Thanks Bo.

until Tyus answers the question of how Minnesota is still an option, but yet he is playing with Okafor, This official is all a facade in my opinion.

Miles - He has answered that question before. I'll try and find the link. He is a high school kid that is keeping all his options available and not burning bridges. These package deals aren't contracts so relax. It's his biggest life decisions and he's handling it maturely.

until Tyus answers the question of how Minnesota is still an option, but yet he is playing with Okafor, This official is all a facade in my opinion.

I think his number one priority is to play with Jahlil, likely at Duke, but there is a slight possibility that the whole package deal thing won't work out. If that's the case, then the Gophers enter the picture (even if we aren't the favorite). You never know what might happen with the package deal, so even if the chances are low for the Gophers, why not keep his options open? Is that a crime?

I think his number one priority is to play with Jahlil, likely at Duke, but there is a slight possibility that the whole package deal thing won't work out. If that's the case, then the Gophers enter the picture (even if we aren't the favorite). You never know what might happen with the package deal, so even if the chances are low for the Gophers, why not keep his options open? Is that a crime?

+1 exactly.

The package deal isn't binding. At all.

I could tell people for months I'm taking a job at the company where my best friend works and we can't wait to work together and be a great team until ... Company B comes in and offers more money, better benefits, better location, and more time off to me? Sorry best friend, I'm looking out for me and my family on this one.

So yes, I still think the package stays together. However, there are scenarios where it doesn't.

Found this an interesting read on Tyus's NBA potential. Via Jeff Goodman ESPN Insider

Let me begin by saying how much I love watching Tyus Jones (Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley) run a team. He’s the consummate pass-first point guard who makes all the correct decisions and knows exactly what he has to do in order to lead his team to a victory. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Jones, ranked the No. 1 point guard in the 2014 ESPN 100, lead whatever college program he chooses to a national championship.

However, I’m worried that his game doesn’t quite translate to the NBA level. Will Jones be a terrific floor leader in college? Absolutely, especially if he goes to a program where he is surrounded by numerous offensive weapons.

But I just see too much D.J. Augustin in him down the road, and that’s no knock on Jones or Augustin, who is a competent NBA backup point guard. The issues for me -- and also several NBA scouts I spoke to who’ve had a chance to watch Jones on multiple occasions -- have to do with Jones’ size, lack of explosiveness and athleticism, and a mediocre perimeter shot.

“I think he’s probably a guy that will wind up getting drafted somewhere in the middle of the first round,” one veteran NBA scout told me in July. “But I just don’t see it at our level. I think he’s a career backup.”

I'd probably have to agree with that, I wouldn't call him a top 10 draft pick type player, just not explosive enough comparatively.

FYI, Vaughn is listed at #9 on his list of the top 10 draft prospects from the '14 class: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=700

"9. Rashad Vaughn (Golden Valley, Minn./Findlay Prep)
Vaughn is still a work in progress, especially when it comes to shot selection and decision-making. However, he has the size, length and ability to put points on the board in a hurry. The Minnesota native is legit 6-5 shooting guard and is able to put the ball on the floor as well as make shots from deep. Vaughn still has plenty of schools in the mix, including Kentucky, Kansas and North Carolina."

Found this an interesting read on Tyus's NBA potential. Via Jeff Goodman ESPN Insider

Let me begin by saying how much I love watching Tyus Jones (Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley) run a team. He’s the consummate pass-first point guard who makes all the correct decisions and knows exactly what he has to do in order to lead his team to a victory. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Jones, ranked the No. 1 point guard in the 2014 ESPN 100, lead whatever college program he chooses to a national championship.

However, I’m worried that his game doesn’t quite translate to the NBA level. Will Jones be a terrific floor leader in college? Absolutely, especially if he goes to a program where he is surrounded by numerous offensive weapons.

But I just see too much D.J. Augustin in him down the road, and that’s no knock on Jones or Augustin, who is a competent NBA backup point guard. The issues for me -- and also several NBA scouts I spoke to who’ve had a chance to watch Jones on multiple occasions -- have to do with Jones’ size, lack of explosiveness and athleticism, and a mediocre perimeter shot.

“I think he’s probably a guy that will wind up getting drafted somewhere in the middle of the first round,” one veteran NBA scout told me in July. “But I just don’t see it at our level. I think he’s a career backup.”

This is precisely why he would be such a huge recruit for us (or anyone). He is not likely to be a one and done. He's more likely to stay a few years and win a championship in college.

Stupid question here:

Pitino has dozens of offers out there. If our plan C or D point guard - whom we have also offered, whoever that may be - decides he wants to accept the offer, but Tyus or Plan B have yet to commit to anyone, how is that handled? Is Plan D's commitment accepted? Or does Pitino go to Tyus and then Plan B and say, "Hey, man, last chance."

How does it work?

Stupid question here:

Pitino has dozens of offers out there. If our plan C or D point guard - whom we have also offered, whoever that may be - decides he wants to accept the offer, but Tyus or Plan B have yet to commit to anyone, how is that handled? Is Plan D's commitment accepted? Or does Pitino go to Tyus and then Plan B and say, "Hey, man, last chance."

How does it work?

However the coach wants to handle it. Nothing is official until signing day.

Tyus shot 57% from field 46% from 3 during EYBL nothing average about those stats. Also led EYBL in steals. Jones is more athletic than John Stockton so he might be quite a nice NBA point guard

This is precisely why he would be such a huge recruit for us (or anyone). He is not likely to be a one and done. He's more likely to stay a few years and win a championship in college.

I don't know about that. I'd say the odds are he's 1 & done. Even a guy who's a projected mid-first round pick and "career backup in the NBA" typically goes pro when he has that status. You don't have to be a lottery pick or future NBA star to be 1 & done. If Jones wants to leave after one year and be a first round pick, that's probably what will happen. Trey Burke and Shane Larkin weren't much bigger or much more athletic than Jones and both were 1st round picks - neither was 1 & done but neither had the hype that Jones has going into their respective frosh seasons and it's fair to say Jones has a much better starting point than either in terms of NBA draft stock.

For now, subject to advancement, I agree that Tyus is a Stockton or Steve Nash 'gliding' type PG. He does not project as having the strength to take on the defensive heart in the Association. That said, if true, is Tyus' draft status most enhanced by joining the cast at Duke, NC, Kan et al., where he is a member of an ensemble, or with a MN, where he runs the show and would be credited with elevating the performance of the entire team in a premier conference? If I were advising the young man and his family, I'd really emphasize this counter-intuitive analysis before he potentially gets lost in the stars.

So this is third hand so take it for what it's worth, but a Duke assistant sent Josh Perkins a text that basically said to loose this number. I didn't get a copy of the text, but it was very blunt and my friend said it crossed over into rude. Perkins was trying to drum up some interest with them I guess he wanted to be plan B for them. The assistant told Perkins that they are 100% confident that Tyus is coming to Duke so they are not going to even look at another pg for this class.

I don't live in Denver anymore but this coming from a former player who grew up with Perkins and a Coach who has deep Duke roots.

So this is third hand so take it for what it's worth, but a Duke assistant sent Josh Perkins a text that basically said to loose this number. I didn't get a copy of the text, but it was very blunt and my friend said it crossed over into rude. Perkins was trying to drum up some interest with them I guess he wanted to be plan B for them. The assistant told Perkins that they are 100% confident that Tyus is coming to Duke so they are not going to even look at another pg for this class.

I don't live in Denver anymore but this coming from a former player who grew up with Perkins and a Coach who has deep Duke roots.

Stun.

You'll forgive me if I don't put much stock into this. There's a very good likelihood that Tyus will go to Duke, but this hearsay on hearsay on hearsay isn't a big factor in my opinion.

You'll forgive me if I don't put much stock into this. There's a very good likelihood that Tyus will go to Duke, but this hearsay on hearsay on hearsay isn't a big factor in my opinion.

I will forgive people who thing this is BS. I don't post much. But I also didn't say Tyus would sign with Duke. I have no ties to him. I just stated that the staff at Duke feels that he is a lock. With that said you are right, this is from Perkins to a friend of his who played for me and a good friend who coaches and knows the Duke staff on first name basis. So like I said right up front this is third hand info.

per Sid:

• Apple Valley basketball star Tyus Jones, who made an unofficial visit to Minnesota this week, made an announcement of four of his five official recruiting visits this year, but Michigan State wasn’t on the list. Spartans coach Tom Izzo probably has spent more time trying to sell his school to Jones than any other D-I coach. Jones will make official visits to Baylor on Aug. 30 — one that just might be a courtesy visit because assistant coach Jared Nuness is a relative of Jones — Kentucky on Sept. 27-29, Kansas on Oct. 18-20 and Duke on Oct. 25-27, where I’m sure he’ll go.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/219864581.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Stupid question here:

How does it work?

Hard to say. Really depends on who the plan C or D players are. How much of a drop off in talent are they from plan A or B? How confident are they in landing plan A or B? I'd guess if their confidence is 50/50 with plan A and B and there isn't much of a drop off, they just take him. If there is a noticeable drop off then they probably either ask them to hold off, or if it's getting later in the game they go to the plan A/B guys and say, "Hey, so and so wants to commit and take your spot, you need to act now if you still want a spot on this team." It's going to be different from situation to situation, but that's my best guess.

Hard to say. Really depends on who the plan C or D players are. How much of a drop off in talent are they from plan A or B? How confident are they in landing plan A or B? I'd guess if their confidence is 50/50 with plan A and B and there isn't much of a drop off, they just take him. If there is a noticeable drop off then they probably either ask them to hold off, or if it's getting later in the game they go to the plan A/B guys and say, "Hey, so and so wants to commit and take your spot, you need to act now if you still want a spot on this team." It's going to be different from situation to situation, but that's my best guess.

Thanks. Yeah, that's about how I see it, but I have no first, 2nd or even 3rd hand knowledge. Anybody out there that does?

Thanks. Yeah, that's about how I see it, but I have no first, 2nd or even 3rd hand knowledge. Anybody out there that does?

Unfortunately, I bet the only people on this board who might have first hand knowledge aren't going to post about it.

Obviously. I was looking for a little more insight into how they *do* handle it.

See how Quentin Snider was handled at Louisville? If a coach likes the players they got they will typically just stop recruiting others. If they think they can still get option A then they continue to recruit option A and option C/D will switch commitment or choose to stay and players on the team will transfer out. Generally if you get option D and it will be an improvement over what you have you'll still accept A and figure out a way to make it work. Each coach operates differently. It's possible that Pitino is more loyal than that and just takes whomever commits first and no more.

I think we will have a better TEAM without Jones. Look at all the CRAP on this thread. It would be a circus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom