Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

"The family plans official visits to colleges including Minnesota in August, September and October before a decision is made. Debbie said reports Tyus was ready to commit verbally to the Gophers early last spring weren’t accurate. “He wasn’t going to commit anywhere until he made his official visits and got on campuses,” Debbie said."

I'm not sure if I'd trust this report, but this is the first I've heard of (1) Tyus planning to use an OFFICIAL visit on MN (which would be huge), and (2) Tyus reportedly ready to "commit" to the Gophers last spring (a statement that strikes me as ridiculous).

Were there reports that Tyus was going to commit last spring? I don't remember those.

"The family plans official visits to colleges including Minnesota in August, September and October before a decision is made. Debbie said reports Tyus was ready to commit verbally to the Gophers early last spring weren’t accurate. “He wasn’t going to commit anywhere until he made his official visits and got on campuses,” Debbie said."

I'm not sure if I'd trust this report, but this is the first I've heard of (1) Tyus planning to use an OFFICIAL visit on MN (which would be huge), and (2) Tyus reportedly ready to "commit" to the Gophers last spring (a statement that strikes me as ridiculous).

Haven't seen this Seth Davis article linked anywhere. Sorry if it was. If Davis got the quotes right, which he probably did, there's no chance Tyus comes here. Most of us already believe that so this "String the home folks along to make them feel good and keep the spotlight on me B.S." gets old.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...0130722/hoop-thoughts/?sct=hp_wr_a3&eref=sihp

Haven't seen this Seth Davis article linked anywhere. Sorry if it was. If Davis got the quotes right, which he probably did, there's no chance Tyus comes here. Most of us already believe that so this "String the home folks along to make them feel good and keep the spotlight on me B.S." gets old.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...0130722/hoop-thoughts/?sct=hp_wr_a3&eref=sihp

Well, the SI article is an interesting read on two good buddies, but it doesn't really say anything new at all.

The Shama interview, however, does say something very new and I am waiting for somebody in the know to respond to that very significant statement buried in the middle of the piece -- that Jones plans to take an OFFICIAL visit to Minnesota. Which would be very big news. I suspect that Shama just got it wrong or wrote it incorrectly (maybe meaning to say Jones will VISIT Minnesota and other schools, which would not be significant at all given that Jones has been to campus many times and no doubt will attend a football game or two this fall as he has before).

Well, the SI article is an interesting read on two good buddies, but it doesn't really say anything new at all.

The Shama interview, however, does say something very new and I am waiting for somebody in the know to respond to that very significant statement buried in the middle of the piece -- that Jones plans to take an OFFICIAL visit to Minnesota. Which would be very big news. I suspect that Shama just got it wrong or wrote it incorrectly (maybe meaning to say Jones will VISIT Minnesota and other schools, which would not be significant at all given that Jones has been to campus many times and no doubt will attend a football game or two this fall as he has before).

That would be big news because I'm pretty sure he's on the record saying he didn't have to use an official on Minnesota because it's so close. Though maybe he has already decided on Duke so he is going to use an official to appease the fan base and carry on the charade that he is interested in us.

I can't believe he hasn't received this question yet either.

I am pretty sure he has received and answered this question. He has said something along the lines of both he and Okafor are still building relationships Wi the teams that the other player are interested in . I think the question was in the zagsblog article a few days back.

More likely Tyus is still weighing playing in front of family and friends for his home state team vs playing for NCAA title contender. Not likely a charade designed to appease a fan base who views him attending the U as somewhere between a long shot and a no shot. The vast majority of kids recruited by the U never end up here to therefore assume their interest was a charade is preposterous .

Per David Shama: http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Tyus Jones‘ mom told Sports Headliners yesterday she expects her son to make his official college commitment in November.

Tyus and his friend Jahlil Okafor, a center from Whitney High in Chicago, are rated the No. 2 and No. 1 players in the national prep class of 2014 by Rivals.com. Debbie confirmed it’s likely the two will attend college together.

What the mom says means everything. Enjoy college Tyus....kind of sucks that you couldn't have stayed home. I will HATE watching you succeed at Duke.

per Shama:

Jones Undecided on U Official Visit

Tyus Jones isn’t sure about making an official recruiting visit to the University of Minnesota, according to his mother Debbie Jones.

The family has made unofficial visits to Minnesota in the past to become acquainted with the Gophers’ basketball program. “We have talked about it (the official visit) but not decided,” Debbie told Sports Headliners on Wednesday.

The Gophers are on the Apple Valley High School point guard’s current list of possible college destinations along with Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and Michigan State. There had been seven schools but Debbie said, “Ohio State is no longer recruiting Tyus.”

The National Collegiate Athletic Association allows a recruit to make five official visits to schools. An official visit is paid for by the school while an unofficial is at the family’s expense.

The first official visit by Tyus will be to Baylor in late August. Baylor director of player development Jared Nuness is a distant cousin of Tyus who is the Rivals.com No. 2 prospect in the country for the class of 2014.

Official visits by Tyus are planned for August, September and October with dates and schools beyond Baylor to be determined. High school seniors can sign National Letters of Intent with colleges in November, or they can wait until the following spring for a second period of signing dates. Asked by Sports Headliners on Sunday if Tyus will sign in November, his mom said: “I think so.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Ohio State is out? Interesting, especially since Ohio State still *is* recruiting Jahlil Okafor.

So I guess that means we're in Tyus' final six! LOL

(joking aside, if Kentucky gets a commitment from Mudiay does that mean six becomes five, and we may get an official? Course by then we may already have our PG)

Ohio State is out? Interesting, especially since Ohio State still *is* recruiting Jahlil Okafor.

So I guess that means we're in Tyus' final six! LOL

(joking aside, if Kentucky gets a commitment from Mudiay does that mean six becomes five, and we may get an official? Course by then we may already have our PG)

I think they plan on playing D'Angelo Russell at PG, at least part of the time, so you could say he's sort of their PG in the 2014 class. And Matta said recently that they don't plan on oversigning, meaning they would only have one spot left for the 2014 class and getting a high quality big man is no doubt the top priority with the one spot left.

But OSU also offered another 2014 PG recently, Kaleb Joseph. Maybe they stopped recruiting Tyus because they found out they weren't going to get an official visit? I don't know why they offered Kaleb Joseph honestly. Hard to figure what their plan is, as they only have one spot left and have offers out to players at 3 different positions.

per Shooter:

Tyus Jones, the Apple Valley senior point guard prodigy, said he'll make his highly anticipated college commitment in November. It'll be surprising if he doesn't choose Duke.

People in the know expect Jones to play two seasons for coach Mike Krzyzewski at Duke, then declare himself eligible for the NBA draft.

Krzyzewski will coach the U.S. Olympic men's basketball team in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 when, incidentally, Jones will have completed his sophomore season.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23745689/charley-walters-minnesota-vikings-bonus-tab-top-picks

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Tyus Jones, the Apple Valley senior point guard prodigy, said he'll make his highly anticipated college commitment in November. It'll be surprising if he doesn't choose Duke.

People in the know expect Jones to play two seasons for coach Mike Krzyzewski at Duke, then declare himself eligible for the NBA draft.

Krzyzewski will coach the U.S. Olympic men's basketball team in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 when, incidentally, Jones will have completed his sophomore season.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23745689/charley-walters-minnesota-vikings-bonus-tab-top-picks

Go Gophers!!

I don't even think Tyus knows right now how many years he'll play in college, not to mention Charley Walters. I suspect more shoddy guess work on his his part.
*I will give credit to Shooter where credit is due, his most accurate column in a while!

Duke may be the leader for Jahlil Okafor after all

Ergo...Duke looks to be the leader for Tyus Jones. Money quote:

(Mac Irvin Fire club basketball coach Mike) Irvin thinks Tyus Jones, the Minnesota point guard that is a package deal with Okafor, is destined for Duke.

“I think there is a great chance Tyus is going to Duke,” Irvin said. “So if [Okafor and Tyus] are going to school together..."

http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_article/show/274518?referrer_id=599124

He's going to Duke, no question about it. It's just a matter of when Tyus/Okafor officially make the announcement. Rest assured, ESPNU will start pimping the pending "declaration" as soon as Tyus/Okafor say they're ready. Big Brother certainly won't pass on the opportunity to give Coach Alphabet/Duke some more free advertising.

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/08/01/2745154/analysts-crystal-ball-predicts.html[/URL]

This is a Kentucky.com site but it refers to Jerry Meyers crystal ball.

Glad to see Pitino is not a quitter when it comes to recruiting a local kid who is a 5* recruit who has us on his list... if he listened to posters who give up when the going gets tough he would be a quitter...not HC for the Gophers

With all due respect to Tyus, I'm in the same boat.

+1. I figure there's always a 5% chance a local kid will change his mind at the last minute and stay home. If that happens, awesome. But this horse is pretty much out of the Barn.

the posters here seem to know where Tyus is going...so why does not Pitino

I think he does, there's just no benefit to admitting he's moved on. We do know he told Newton that he is his number 1 PG target though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom