Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the posters here seem to know where Tyus is going...so why does not Pitino

You can't give up. Things happen. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that things change for Tyus. I like the way Pitino is playing it. Stay on him hard but be in on a bunch of other players.

Yeah he told Tyus he is 3 or 4 on our list. Pretty sure all the point guards we are after are happy to know they are not at the top of the list

Clearly Jones has already made up his mind that he's going to Duke. He's just trying to make sure he steers Okafor there before he commits.

for tyus, style of play at duke has to be questioned.
duke has 4 shooters and 1 rebounder on the floor.
they dont need/use a PG other than a setup man for the shooters.
they dont fastbreak.
they dont go thru the low post.

i guess if all you want to do is drive and kick, go to duke... not sure how that lands you in the NBA, however.

many other programs which make better use of the PG than duke.
in fact, ALL programs make better use of the PG than duke.

for tyus, style of play at duke has to be questioned.
duke has 4 shooters and 1 rebounder on the floor.
they dont need/use a PG other than a setup man for the shooters.
they dont fastbreak.
they dont go thru the low post.

i guess if all you want to do is drive and kick, go to duke... not sure how that lands you in the NBA, however.

many other programs which make better use of the PG than duke.
in fact, ALL programs make better use of the PG than duke.

Kyrie+Irving+2011+NBA+Draft+xP0YaEjPxIbl.jpg

Yeah, I'm sure Kyrie Irving's 11 games at Duke (that's right, 11 games total) is what got him to the NBA, not the prior 18 years.

I don't think there's any point in debating whether Duke is right for Jones - he's practically decided that already. He's going there, and probably just for a year and that's why he wants to make sure Okafor is going with him, so he can have perhaps the best center in college basketball with him for that year.

I don't think there's any point in debating whether Duke is right for Jones - he's practically decided that already. He's going there, and probably just for a year and that's why he wants to make sure Okafor is going with him, so he can have perhaps the best center in college basketball with him for that year.
Now you need to convince the other 6 coaches recruiting Tyus that you know more than they do

Yeah, I'm sure Kyrie Irving's 11 games at Duke (that's right, 11 games total) is what got him to the NBA, not the prior 18 years.

What's to say Tyus' prior 18 years won't get him to the NBA just as quickly as Irving? Also, going to Duke does not hurt your NBA chances.

34 out of 34 247Sports experts have Tyus going to Duke for what it's worth.

and think Tyus still tells the hometown fans we still have a chance. Good comedy Tyus, good comedy
've decided that I want to go ahead and get my decision out of the way in November. That's always been a goal of mine because I don't want it hanging over my head my whole senior year. I want to be able to focus on my last season and have fun. I don't want that stress.

Me and Jahlil have been talking about it and we're on the same page with that.
I have no idea where I'll go yet, but I know that it can get really stressful. That's why I told myself by November I'll have it done. It gives me something to work toward.

I've definitely felt the urgency from the coaches now that the summer is over. They are definitely letting me know that they want me more and b eing really open about it. It's just another reason why I want to have a decision made by the fall. I know it will only get more intense. Better chance with Tyus then with Newton

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Just got off the phone with Jahlil Okafor's AAU coach. The package deal with Tyus Jones might not be such a guarantee.</p>— T.J. Walker (@TWalkerRivals) <a href="https://twitter.com/TWalkerRivals/statuses/364897904076390401">August 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I don't have a leader. Stop the rumors.</p>— Jahlil Okafor (@BigJah22) <a href="https://twitter.com/BigJah22/statuses/365581347592486913">August 8, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Just got off the phone with Jahlil Okafor's AAU coach. The package deal with Tyus Jones might not be such a guarantee.</p>— T.J. Walker (@TWalkerRivals) <a href="https://twitter.com/TWalkerRivals/statuses/364897904076390401">August 6, 2013</a></blockquote>

Evidently Tyus was waiting for Newton to make his decision. Now it's safe to come to Minnesota. :)

So Okafor comes to Minnesota right? Isn't that how this works?

Call him up Richie!

In all seriousness though, it's always seemed to me like Tyus is more into the package deal than Jahlil, so this doesn't really surprise me. Hopefully it's because Jahlil doesn't want to come here with Tyus! But probably not.

Call him up Richie!

In all seriousness though, it's always seemed to me like Tyus is more into the package deal than Jahlil, so this doesn't really surprise me. Hopefully it's because Jahlil doesn't want to come here with Tyus! But probably not.

While I don't think Tyus will come here, I wouldn't be completely shocked if he did.

Until he eliminates MN, I will believe we have a shot. I'm not banking on him coming, but crazier things have happened.

I think it's all of the Duke rumors for Jones. I speculate that he doesn't have a favorite, and if Duke is Jones' favorite, then that makes the package deal less stable.

Okafor's going to visit Kentucky September 9th without Tyus. I would bet on coach Cal to do some work and get Okafor and Mudiay. Tyus will have to reevaluate everything. Who is he going to play with at Duke then?

I could see Tyus really liking Duke because of their history with guards and Okafor being a little more cool on Duke because they really don't develop elite NBA big men.

I could see Tyus really liking Duke because of their history with guards and Okafor being a little more cool on Duke because they really don't develop elite NBA big men.

As Mitch McGary once said. All Duke big men do is set screens and rebound.

The facts are this:

1) Duke, in no way, could touch the local aspect, of what he would mean to his community, family, friends, legacy of what Minnesota would mean.

2) Minnesota can't match Duke in reputation, name brand, etc.

I think Tyus can do a hell of a lot more to rectify #2 than Duke can to rectify #1.

per ESPN:

The ongoing rumor that Duke is the leader for the recruiting package of No. 1-ranked senior Jahlil Okafor and No. 3-ranked Tyus Jones is ruining the recruiting process for the two players, Okafor's father said on Friday.

"It's disappointing. It's taking the fun out of the process for the two boys," Okafor's father, Chukwudi Okafor, said by phone on Friday. "That's a shame. Let the kids go through the process. I just want them to enjoy it, not the media, not Twitter, not the coaches, not the AAU coaches. Those kids are highly intelligent. They know what to do. Let it play out, and I think the world is in for something special."

"They're going to make their decision. Everybody is saying they say this and they say that. It's not fair to them. It's not fair to the other schools. It's not fair to Duke. They might want to go to Duke, but decide not to go there because everyone is saying that's where they're going. I'd hate for that to happen."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mens-col...54438/130808-okafor-bothered-recruiting-rumor

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

The ongoing rumor that Duke is the leader for the recruiting package of No. 1-ranked senior Jahlil Okafor and No. 3-ranked Tyus Jones is ruining the recruiting process for the two players, Okafor's father said on Friday.

"It's disappointing. It's taking the fun out of the process for the two boys," Okafor's father, Chukwudi Okafor, said by phone on Friday. "That's a shame. Let the kids go through the process. I just want them to enjoy it, not the media, not Twitter, not the coaches, not the AAU coaches. Those kids are highly intelligent. They know what to do. Let it play out, and I think the world is in for something special."

"They're going to make their decision. Everybody is saying they say this and they say that. It's not fair to them. It's not fair to the other schools. It's not fair to Duke. They might want to go to Duke, but decide not to go there because everyone is saying that's where they're going. I'd hate for that to happen."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mens-col...54438/130808-okafor-bothered-recruiting-rumor

Go Gophers!!

Seriously? The big problem that Jones and Okafor have now is that they might be persuaded to not go where everyone thinks they will go? Drama queen much?

per ESPN:

Go Gophers!!

Translation: they're going to Duke but it's no fun if everyone knows that already.

Yeah that whole article is pathetic. Okafor's dad is pissed that everyone already knows where they are going which is probably causing some coaches to lighten up their recruiting of them, which means not as much attention as the may have expected. Boohoo.

per ESPN:

Go Gophers!!

On pins and needles.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom