Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea who this is so it could just be a random fan.

Tweet from zhalpz (@zhalpz611)
zhalpz (@zhalpz611) tweeted at 8:49 AM on Fri, Jul 12, 2013:
Rumors that Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor are set on Duke and will announce soon. The top pg and top center for next year. #dukebasketball

Hopefully it's true.

CBS: Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones seem determined to make history

They swear they're going to pick the same college.

Probably on the same day.

And, if they do, one school will get the consensus top-two prospects in the Class of 2014 -- Okafor is ranked No. 1 while Jones is ranked No. 2 -- as a package deal consisting of unrelated recruits from different states, which, far as I can tell, has never happened. Sure, elite recruits have attended the same school before. Lately, that school is usually Kentucky. But have two consensus top-five recruits who are unrelated and from different states ever planned in advance to attend the same school?

Nobody I know can think of an example.

"I guess when you look at it like that, it is kind of rare," Jones told me on Thursday afternoon here at the Nike Peach Jam. "But that's what we're going to do. We're trying to accomplish something at the next level. So that's what we're going to do."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...nd-tyus-jones-seem-determined-to-make-history

Go Gophers!!

So you're telling me there's a chance?:D

If it wasn't glaringly obvious that Tyus wasn't going to be a Gopher, it is now. Lately it seems like he's really picked up the "package deal" rhetoric. Not a shocker, but I just wish he'd go anywhere but Puke.

Hopefully it's true.

Why would you hope it's true? I'll never hope Duke gets a recruit, I don't care if it means my school still doesn't get him, just can't root for Duke.

I see the one guy was just a Duke fan, the person he got his info from apparently covers Duke for a website called balldurham.com.

It appears the same reporter that tweeted there were unconfirmed rumors that Jones and Okafor would soon announce for Duke also tweeted that Goodluck Okonoboh is in the 2015 class, which is incorrect (he is a 2014 recruit), so I would take that guy's opinion with a grain of salt.

Why would you hope it's true? I'll never hope Duke gets a recruit, I don't care if it means my school still doesn't get him, just can't root for Duke.

I see the one guy was just a Duke fan, the person he got his info from apparently covers Duke for a website called balldurham.com.

He's not coming here so I would like to see him commit some where and get it over with. Additionally, I'd much rather he leave the conference than end up playing for Izzo. I'm sorry that I have to be the one to break this to you, Duke is going to get good recruits regardless of whether you want them to or not.

He probably means that he just wants it over with. We've all expected Tyus to go to Duke for a long time now. And I'd rather have him go to Duke than a big ten team.

Edit: What he said ^^^

I am the opposite, I would rather a top recruit like Jones play in the Big Ten than out of the Big Ten, regardless what school it is at.

Confirmed that there is not 100% they play together as previously incorrectly posted

Whether you want to deny that they are teaming up in college or not, it's happening. Tyus has confirmed it, Jahlil has, Tyus' mom has, reporters and analysts have, coaches have, etc. Just don't set yourself up, because you'll just be dissapointed in the end.

It should be noted even with Tyus going elsewhere, we are still looking to land a HUGE recruiting class and things are only looking up. :)

Why give up?

Until Tyus makes his decision alot can change. He can fall in love with a local girl his senior year and will certainly see her more if he stays in MN. He might realize he really likes Pitino and or his style of play! Okafor and him might throw each of their school names in a hat and draw out one school to decide where to go. His parents might tell him they would sure like to see all of his college games live. I wish all the negative posters, some who may even be from other interested schools, would just stop posting.

The more he learns and sees from Pitino, the more I like his chances.

Only a quitter would give up...Pitino is not a quitter like some of the posters are. If you have a 1% chance then keep working.. They just put the odds in the 90% range. Not 100% so do not be a loser quitter! Obviously be smart and work other PG prospects. Pitino does not cave in and quit just because he is the underdog!

Until Tyus makes his decision alot can change. He can fall in love with a local girl his senior year and will certainly see her more if he stays in MN. He might realize he really likes Pitino and or his style of play! Okafor and him might throw each of their school names in a hat and draw out one school to decide where to go. His parents might tell him they would sure like to see all of his college games live. I wish all the negative posters, some who may even be from other interested schools, would just stop posting.

The more he learns and sees from Pitino, the more I like his chances.

As long as we are going under those scenarios, he might just follow his girlfriend Alyssa Goehner and go take his services to Marquette, so they can become the star-athletes for the Golden Eagles. ;)

Honestly, Kris Humphries ruined this for us. Had he kept dating Kim. Tyus could have started dating the younger Jenner and they all could have enjoyed the waters of Lake Minnetonka together.

Originally I disagree with Brain Trust but he makes an excellent point. Pitino should never give up on anybody that talks to him. It takes a special brand of optimism and hard work to make the gophers from relevant to a powerhouse.

Only a quitter would give up...Pitino is not a quitter like some of the posters are. If you have a 1% chance then keep working.. They just put the odds in the 90% range. Not 100% so do not be a loser quitter! Obviously be smart and work other PG prospects. Pitino does not cave in and quit just because he is the underdog!

I have officially quit recruiting Tyus.

Lansing State Journal: MSU basketball targets Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor swear they will go to same school

"Oh, yeah," said Jones, a point guard with the Howard Pulley Panthers (Minn.). "We're pretty sure of it. I definitely see why people would think we're just talking. So many guys have said things like this before, but we're serious. It started as like a random idea."

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...swear-they-will-go-same-school?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

Lansing State Journal: MSU basketball targets Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor swear they will go to same school

"Oh, yeah," said Jones, a point guard with the Howard Pulley Panthers (Minn.). "We're pretty sure of it. I definitely see why people would think we're just talking. So many guys have said things like this before, but we're serious. It started as like a random idea."

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...swear-they-will-go-same-school?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

Oh Tyus....
What coul have been.

News Observer: Duke working to earn recruits’ packaged promise

“They’ve been together for so long, since U16s for the USA team, going overseas about three of four times together, playing on different teams, talking on the phone,” Chuck Okafor said. “They grew up being the same thing as far as being No. 1 players, having the same pressure and same issues. It’s good being able to speak to someone with the same kind of values and same kind of goals.”

Okafor recently returned with a gold medal from the FIBA U19 World Championship in Prague, where he was on a 12-man roster with mainly collegiate players (Jones was not on the team, choosing to spend time with his ailing grandfather instead). During the June training camp in Colorado Springs, Colo., Okafor roomed with current Blue Devil Rasheed Sulaimon. Krzyzewski was in attendance, too.

“We spoke, but it was all about USA Basketball and how I could help the team,” Okafor said. “He didn’t bring up Duke at all.”

The time for Krzyzewski and the rest of the staff to make their recruiting pitch is from now until Jones and Okafor commit (both are expected to sign in November). Right now, the pair has one official visit scheduled, to Baylor at the end of August. At this point, most recruiting analysts consider Duke the favorite to land the duo. Until Jones and Okafor announce their decisions, though, that’s merely speculation, as is the idea that the package deal will hold.

Just don’t be surprised, though, if it does.

“They get along amazingly well,” Debbie Jones said, “They’re amazing on the court together, so I can definitely see it happening.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/13/3027717/duke-working-to-earn-recruits.html

Go Gophers!!

News Observer: Duke working to earn recruits’ packaged promise

“They’ve been together for so long, since U16s for the USA team, going overseas about three of four times together, playing on different teams, talking on the phone,” Chuck Okafor said. “They grew up being the same thing as far as being No. 1 players, having the same pressure and same issues. It’s good being able to speak to someone with the same kind of values and same kind of goals.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/13/3027717/duke-working-to-earn-recruits.html

Go Gophers!!

That part sounds so patronizing. As if there aren't any other players in the class that have pressure or NBA aspirations? C'mon now. This reminds me of the guy in Cali who was wealthy and a member of the top-1% in terms of income, and made it a point to only leave a 1% tip at restaurants and remarking that he's the top 1% and everyone else is just another bottom 99% person.

That part sounds so patronizing. As if there aren't any other players in the class that have pressure or NBA aspirations? C'mon now. This reminds me of the guy in Cali who was wealthy and a member of the top-1% in terms of income, and made it a point to only leave a 1% tip at restaurants and remarking that he's the top 1% and everyone else is just another bottom 99% person.

Odd comparison.

Hey, that's what it reminded me of. The idea that Jones and Okafor are the only elite basketball players out there and only they really know what each other is going through is a joke.

Hey, that's what it reminded me of. The idea that Jones and Okafor are the only elite basketball players out there and only they really know what each other is going through is a joke.

You can read into the comment however you want. I just view it as a dad talking about why his son and Tyus became good friends. Let's see how adept you are at answering the questions of countless reporters and journalists on the spot every week?

"It's tough for them," seems to say its hard for Mn to compete for a player of my caliber. He's being polite and as honest about it as he's willing to be. I just hope the young man makes a good long term decision instead of rushing into well compensated professional mediocrity.

"It's tough for them," seems to say its hard for Mn to compete for a player of my caliber. He's being polite and as honest about it as he's willing to be. I just hope the young man makes a good long term decision instead of rushing into well compensated professional mediocrity.

I think you're misinterpreting the quote. He's merely saying we're behind the eight-ball in terms of developing relationships with the coaching staff. With that said, I realize that I have a better chance of winning the powerball than Tyus choosing the gophers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom