Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why won't some reporter ask him about the whole Okafor thing? Why? A serious question. Are the reporters simply cowards? Do they not feel ok about putting a 17 year old on the spot like that? Are they dragging out the process as much as possible simply because they don't want to see it end?

If we are seriously still on Jones' list, I want to know why and how he plans on dealing with the Okafor thing.

Never has anything special to say about the Minnesota program (right in his backyard). That's the only indication you need to go with the Okafor thing to confirm that Minnesota isn't in consideration.

what a pointless interview. Ask the kid how Minnesota is being considered but yet he's playing with Okafor? He is only 17, but it comes with the territory. Don't make public statements if you can't back them up.

Stupid

He basically treats Minnesota like a redheaded stepchild. He shows disrespect to Minnesota fans by this lying them. He's probably already told Pitino he's not even or ever has considered the Gophers. What a phoney.

He basically treats Minnesota like a redheaded stepchild. He shows disrespect to Minnesota fans by this lying them. He's probably already told Pitino he's not even or ever has considered the Gophers. What a phoney.

That hurt to read. I still don't understand why people take it so personally and get so stressed about him keeping us on his list. It would make sense if he was tricking Pitino and we weren't recruiting other point guards, but we are. We're in a great position to land Newton, so why do people care so much? If you know he isn't coming here, then why pay attention to it or stress about it? Just focus on hoping we get Newton. Pitino isn't putting his eggs in one basket. This isn't another Cory Joseph situation.

Tyus has Never said he will only play college ball with Okafor. The only reason he is considering the U is to play for the school he grew up following and to play in front of friends and family. Maybe there is only a 5% chance he plays for the U ... not a reason to stop recruiting him yet. The idea that Tyus told Pitino he is not coming here is ABSURD! Tyus is longshot but one worth playing. People who say they know Tyus is not coming to the U need to look up the meaning of know. Paranoid people think Tyus hates the U and only pretends that the U is on his list ....just so they will waste resources recruiting him.

The only way Tyus comes to the U is if Okafor calls him stoopid and it hurts his feeling enough to not want to play with him. Give it up already Minnesota, it's not happening!

Only really weak or stupid people give up before the game is over. Once you learn to read you realize the out of 350 D1 programs the U has made the final 7. Only a moron would give up on Tyus after being included in his final seven

Only really weak or stupid people give up before the game is over. Once you learn to read you realize the out of 350 D1 programs the U has made the final 7. Only a moron would give up on Tyus after being included in his final seven

Dude... He's on record saying he's for sure playing with Jahlil in college, Jahlil doesn't have Minnesota in his final 8. Keep your homer glasses on, but it still won't happen.

That being said, I agree it's not the end of the world that he isnt coming here, and all of us Gophers fans are super excited about the possibility of Newton and Whitehead backcourt here! Thats enough to keep us excited!

Spartan Magazine perspective on Tyus Jones recruitment

This from the latest (July) issue of Spartan Magazine. The writer (Paul Konyndyk), like a lotta' folks here in Minnesota, pretty much says that Tyus is jerking around all the schools on his list except for Duke. He points out that Jones continues to keep several schools on his list (i.e. Gophers, MSU) despite the fact Jones said this in a recent blog entry:

"You guys already know that me and Jahlil (Okafor) are gonna play together in college, and now we're feeling pretty good about getting our boy Justise Winslow to come along with us as well."

Konyndyk's view on the mixed message Tyus seems to be sending out?

"It rings a bit hollow from where I sit, especially considering Jones talks about his boys Okafor and Winslow planning an official visit to Baylor," Konyndyk said. "I know that Baylor is one of seven schools Jones named as finalists along with Michigan State, Duke, Ohio State, Kansas, Kentucky, and Minnesota. And I am well aware of the fact that Jones insists that each of those programs are on even footing.

"But I also know that Jones is leaning toward Duke, and has been for some time regardless of whether he admits that publicly. Maybe I should be less cynical, but an official visit to Baylor seems like an all-expenses paid buddy trip for Jones, Okafor, and Winslow.

"Michigan State has invested a lot of time in the recruitment of Jones, who is a phenomenal point guard in a class with very little depth at that position. But Izzo was smart to move in with an offer for 5-foot-9 superstar Tyler Ulis of Chicago Marian. ... The Spartans need a facilitator, and Ulis may be the No. 2 point guard in the Class of 2014."

It would obviously be great to get Tyus. I just don't see how anyone can look at all of the evidence out there and think we have a chance. He seems like a nice kid who doesn't want to let any of the home town fans down until he absolutely has to. I'd say 99% he goes to Duke for 1-2 years.

Debbie Jones the parent who Tyus resides with recently said he is still considering Mn. Therefore logic dictates keep recruiting him. If you can sign a top 20, 2014 lead guard take him. I say Tyus is not a pathological liar and therefore we have a shot at him. Do you really want Pitino to give up on a home state recruit that has us in top 7... Never gonna happen! Pitino would have to be an idiot to waste his time recruit a guy he has ZERO chance of signing and guess what,Pitino is pretty sharp

Something will change. Either Tyus won't go with okafor and winslow, and consider the U a legitimate target, or he will go with the others, who aren't interested in the U. So basically, the only way we would get him is if he came alone. Prior posts on twitter and interviews show him wanting to be with Okafor. All I'm saying is if nothing changes, we're screwed.

Debbie Jones the parent who Tyus resides with recently said he is still considering Mn. Therefore logic dictates keep recruiting him. If you can sign a top 20, 2014 lead guard take him. I say Tyus is not a pathological liar and therefore we have a shot at him. Do you really want Pitino to give up on a home state recruit that has us in top 7... Never gonna happen! Pitino would have to be an idiot to waste his time recruit a guy he has ZERO chance of signing and guess what,Pitino is pretty sharp

Pitino does seem pretty sharp, but so does Tyus. Seems to me that all the "local love" he's getting would disappear quickly if he removed us from his list. I wouldn't spend too much time on him if I were Pitino. Let him know we would love to have him but spend a lot more time and energy on the other targets in that class. We went all in on Cory Joseph and got left with low grade dog food as a consolation prize.

I think there are three ways to view the package. 1) it is completely serious, it will happen, 2) it is semi-serious, they will make their own decisions but Jahlil (and Justice) could ultimately happen to decide to go to the same school as Tyus even if they don't come to their decisions at the same time, 3) it is just an excuse to take all of his official visits with his friends and enjoy the recruiting process and attention.

Does anyone know when he will make his decision?? I kinda hope it's sooner rather than later if he's gonna say no so we can move onto other people.

Does anyone know when he will make his decision?? I kinda hope it's sooner rather than later if he's gonna say no so we can move onto other people.

Was Tyus the one that said he was going to wait to see how the Gopher's season goes this year?

Good! If he has ruled out the gophers I hope he has told Pitino! That is really all I care about, allow the coach to move on

Good! If he has ruled out the gophers I hope he has told Pitino! That is really all I care about, allow the coach to move on
you can believe a poster named blackhammer and therefore believe Tyus and his mother are both liars and Pitino is an idiot, or you can believe Tyus his mother and Pitino who all say we still have a chance

Was Tyus the one that said he was going to wait to see how the Gopher's season goes this year?

If I remember correctly, he did say something to that effect. Rashad also said that he will probably wait until the late signing period to make a decision.

Because this is an ALL THINGS Tyus Jones thread, its interesting to point out that he has himself a ladyfriend now in state champion volleyball player Alyssa Goehner who is a Marquette commit and favorite for 2014 Ms. Volleyball in Minnesota.

you can believe a poster named blackhammer and therefore believe Tyus and his mother are both liars and Pitino is an idiot, or you can believe Tyus his mother and Pitino who all say we still have a chance

what about Tyus saying he is playing with Okafor, but Minnesota is still in play? Who is the liar in this situation?

Because this is an ALL THINGS Tyus Jones thread, its interesting to point out that he has himself a ladyfriend now in state champion volleyball player Alyssa Goehner who is a Marquette commit and favorite for 2014 Ms. Volleyball in Minnesota.

I like that he has an in state ladyfriend... Minnesota is a lot closer to Marquette than Duke is... Stay home and be close to your lady Tyus!

Of all of our outstanding offers for the 2014 class, Tyus is the one I'm least interested in. It almost doesn't even feel like we are recruiting him.

I have no idea who this is so it could just be a random fan.

Tweet from zhalpz (@zhalpz611)
zhalpz (@zhalpz611) tweeted at 8:49 AM on Fri, Jul 12, 2013:
Rumors that Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor are set on Duke and will announce soon. The top pg and top center for next year. #dukebasketball

Well Quinn Cook (3rd team all ACC as a soph) as a senior will be very tough for Tyus replace as starting PG. Coach K will need to start 2 point guards as Tyus and Quinn are both very high level lead guards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom